June 17th, 2010

BP CEO Grilled on Capitol Hill: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the showdown on Capitol Hill between lawmakers and BP CEO Tony Hayward. Plus, did BP know the Gulf well could be leaking as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day? Sen. Charles Grassley wants to know after looking over a BP document. We're Keeping Them Honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Good night to all and great program Anderson. Keep up the good work.

June 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Good night Anderson and everyone. Another great show.

June 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

Good night AC360 team and everyone.

Stay safe.

June 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson and bloggers Jana, Emily, Nicole, Mike, Nancy, Megan, and Sree,

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Night everyone!

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night All! Dab, Dab, Do!

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Emily

Good night Anderson, 360 Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Nicole, David, Megan, Nancy, Sree, Gloria, Jana, & Bloggers!

Great show & blog tonight.

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  8. lisal -canada

nite all

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Libby

I think we need to get the 5 out of the 9 members of the Supreme Court who tried to limit reimbursement payments to overturn that law.

It's just insane that those 9 Justices decided to cap payment at $75 million.

I guess the only good thing I can say about BP is that at least they didn't stick to that lame Supreme Court ruling!

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Chris

We have to help Louisiana bounce back! We have to Protect Our Coastline we need to focus on what we can do and stay in touch with whats being done and not being done

June 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  11. NMercado, Ph.D.

It's really too bad that this country is so dependent on oil...we've made a pack with the Devil and now we're suffering the repercussions...

Have a good night all...Thank You Anderson.

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Lori from CA

Good night everyone! Sweet dreams.

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  13. penny in al

Geeze, someone could have saved us all alot of time today if they had told mr. haywood to just "pled the 5th".

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Ginny

Tony Hayward told the truth today. He is the business end of BP so he would not have known about the labor end of it.

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  15. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Thanks AC/360 and bloggers! Maybe the sun will come up tomorrow with a resolution to this problem. Good Night!

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Thank You everyone for keeping the truth alive through these tough times! We will prevail and our strength though be tested will win!

Good night Anderson, AC360 Team, Megan, Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Sue, David, Nicole, Gloria, Heather, Di, Samantha and other bloggers!

Great show tonight!

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Joan in Connecticut

So, the Chinese are still drilling in the Gulf? And our people can't?

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Great show tonight Anderson and AC360 crew!

I've blogged on this site for a month now and have learned much from the differing opinions and insights of my fellow bloggers. Tonight is one of those times...very passionate conversations. Hope you all have a great evening!

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Sophia Garcia

I'm ready to give up...How can a judge who's made "mad money" from oil be allowed to represent BP?! I can't believe it...When is somebody gonna get serious with BP? And i was crazy disappointed with all those baby, cupcake questions layed on Tony Hayward today ~ I'm harder on my kids!

Btw, AC, you may not have been born in the South but you have Southern blood in your veins... 😉

June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Linda in Arizona

I don't know who Trace Adkins is, but he sure is RIGHT! The blanket moratorium IS ridiculous. Ridiculous and destructive.

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

Trace Adkins knows the oil rigs,,,at least a lot more than Tony Hayward claimed today that he knows about them.

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Jerry from Ottawa Canada

Unfortunately our government must have been part of the cover up on the original flow rate. How can any "professional" with a healthy pair of eyeballs mistake 40,000 barrels with 1,000. What a dung pile.

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Melissa, "Don't kid yourselves, BP AND the gov knew how much was spewing from day one."

Absolutely, that is why they conspired to hide those damaging images from the beginning and instead released images that showed it to be less serious than it really was.

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  24. Karoline, Los Angeles

I guess Trace disagrees with the moratorium. But still I keep wondering if our oil companies couldn't put their time into looking for natural gas instead? Or teach coal miners how to harvest the methane out of their coal mines and use that to make electricity.

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  25. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Trace Adkins is right. This stopping drilling is going to hurt American companys, not foreign companies like BP.

My family has worked in the oil business for years and it could effect their jobs.

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Casey,
    Trace Atkins is country singer.... 🙂 He is my favorite singer I have watch his music.
    Good night Anderson, Megan, Joe, Jessica, Candy, David Gergen, Ed Henry, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Have a good Friday!
    Don't forget follow Anderson on twitter!!!!!
    Thanks for coming in, for join us tonight! 🙂
    Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

June 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  27. Jill , Mi.

what about power washing the shore, using Dawn dish soap, we know it cuts thro thick sludge...get several trucks with the ability to fill up ,have long hoses,start pushing the sludge back out,the water would be strong enough, it would also help wash the marsh grass, push all the sludge out as far as possible & then maybe some how it can be vaccumed up...it will take a lot of truckes,water, soap & people, I don't see why it wouldn't work..let me know..I've been watching...we know it works on the birds, so the ground could use some as well.. I don't care if this doesn't go on the blog, I just think it it a good idea & I don't know if anyone else has thought about, I've not heard anything about it..

June 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

@Jana Good point the CEO should probably be a compendium of knowledge about the company that he or she directs.

I don't see how the govt could not take action and visit and see in person the offshore drilling rigs at this pt, after this massive almost unfixable spill.

June 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  29. Donna

Seems Tony Hayward became CEO of a billion dollar company and immediately went on vacation.....no wonder he wants to "get back to his life".....how do I get a job like that? All the money, but no responsibility......

June 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  30. Kenya

Day 60 tomorrow. Is their no end in sight to this.. 🙁 Let's all say a prayer.
    Goodnight Mr. Cooper and everyone.

June 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  31. Di Canada

Thank you Anderson Cooper, for another remarkable evening. Bon nuit and many sweet dreams.

June 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  32. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@ Megan, I wish BP and or the government re-pays all the shareholders of those 5 firms that were involved in oil spill!!! BP and all others so far have lost a combined market value of at least 100 billion so far!

Of course, some of it is my money and I want some back!

For giving me my money back, I will let BP and even government call me "tiny" (much better than small people)

June 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  33. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I forgot that Trace worked on an oil rig at one time. Around here, he's the country music superstar.

June 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  34. Chris

Hey AC doing a great job, I think Trace will shine a brighter light on this situation

June 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  35. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Casey Jones~ I don't know who Tracy Adkins is either, but that is probably bad for a Texan. lol Glad he is speaking out though !

June 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  36. Ken

Hi Everyone,

I feel that I'm getting physically sick with this mess. The wife and I rode our motorcycles from Panama City to New Orleans along the coast at the end of April. I have never seen such beautiful scenery.The ironic part was people along the coast were very concerned,we had seen the booms being put out and the National Guard putting the oil traps out on the way back from our trip. So Sad to see. When got back to the east coast everything was quiet about the spill, just in passing the news would mention it. I really thought it was fixed,then 2 weeks later, WOW

June 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Jerry from Ottawa Canada

While terrorist may not be directly involved I would imagine they are hunkered down in there caves tonight drinking toasts to BP.

June 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Stephanie

Mike in Syracruse: Tell the people in Alaska who had to fight in court for decades to get compensation and Exxon's lack of concern other than to get away with paying as little as possible that the 20 billion dollars is a gimmick...And Exxon is an AMERICAN company.

June 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Karoline, Los Angeles

@ Amanda--No, I don't think any of us expected much. But still we wonder about a company that can be so apathetic.

June 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sree,
    Thanks for info!!!! Good point there, I am thinking that market will lost a penny anyway...... You're right about that.

June 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Emily

@David,
    "Vaccuuming those marshes looks like arduous and difficult work."

It sure does, however, it seems better than nothing, and at least those doing that can feel like they are at least trying to do something...and we can all see just how bad it really is for those that don't get it.

June 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Thank for clearing that up!

June 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Anderson, I have no idea who Trace Adkins is.

June 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Melissa

Don't kid yourselves, BP AND the gov knew how much was spewing from day one. BP wouldn't have been spending 500k a day on a well that only spit out 1000 barrels a day.The gov knew that. Think about it!

June 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  45. Chris

@ Emily I agree Stop the Oil Restore the Gulf! No more special interest money, talk about corruption!

June 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

@Sree, I agree with you about those at the top relying on their executives or advisors to keep them informed. That's why I think the President's advisors dropped the ball in the beginning and they did not appreciate the magnitude of this catastrophe and so precious time was lost in organizing a battle plan.

June 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Emily

@Nicole The Netherlands
    "I am sorry, to critizise the U.S. government, but i really do not understand why there isn't a plan with oversight for the clean-up, it is all ad-hoc what i see"
    You are not the only one; I don't understand that either and why the Obama Administration doesn't have something in place...seeing that BP is inept, the government should have been in there.

June 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Merl, Ohio

Hi Kat, Let us not forget a lot of those wells were drilled and producing through other presidents terms. Nobody looked into the consequences from the start before the first well was ever drilled. All they looked at was the greenback, in my eyesight. Thank you.

June 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm |