June 14th, 2010

BP Cut Costs Over Safety?: Join the Live Chat

BP is under fire after congress releases internal documents from the company. The documents question whether BP was more interested in cutting costs and not safety. We're keeping them honest. Plus,  we'll have all the other developments live from Louisiana.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Boy I sure wish we had General Honore from the beginning!!!! I love his "go on the attack" and "whatever it takes" philosophy.

June 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Ellen

Thank you Kevin Costner, and Anderson Cooper for trying to help.

we look to you both to speak for all of us

June 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Glad to see Lt. Gen Honore on the show. He did such a great job during Hurricane Katrina...I was wondering if he was approached on this.

June 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Robert

Kevin Costner /Silvermann/Costner on the 2012 ticket They are Honest–

June 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Joe, Jessica, Candy, David Gergen, Ed Henry, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy and others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Thanks for coming in, for join us tonight! 🙂
    Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!
    Keep going pressure BP right now!! 🙂 we miss you. 🙂

June 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Ernest Salomon

Anderson: You are the only show that is worth watching on the Gulf disaster.

June 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Beth from New Orleans

We LOVE General Honore!!!!!! I vote for him to take over, ASAP

June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  8. lisal -canada

(happy) sea turtle day – may someone keep watch over the gulf and it's inhabitants

June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Betty Ann Lee

kevin costner has always been my hero in activism and movie
    thanks to anderson cooper to having this insightful man speak
    nice to see hope in a hopeless situation

June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Ron from PA

I agree with Sharon, Megan, Sue and Kathryn–Kevin Costner's machines look like they'll do a tremendous amount in helping to re mediate a portion of this oil spill.

He's got too much credibility on the line to tout a technology that he wasn't sure would work. I think we should utilize his machines in a big way!

June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Emily

Now this is the man WHO should be in change!!!
    (Gen Honore)

June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Amy

It angers me to no end that Kevin Costner has this wonderful technology that he is profiting from when people on the Gulf Coast have lost so much. Why can't he donate the units to the cause????

June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Wayne

I can't believe our top scientists and engineers don't have a solution to this problem. How do you crimp a 24" casing to stop the flow of oil...or at a minimum. to crimp the pipe enough to reduce the amount of oil and gas coming through the pipe? I find it hard to watch all this effort being made to cap the top of the casing instead of trying to crimp the pipe 10's of feet below the surface with something which will exert enough force to crimp the casing(an explosive device placed in hole drilled next to the casing). It doesn't have to be something huge, just something strong enough to crimp the pipe.

June 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Kevin Costner made more sense than anyone from BP or the Obama administration.

June 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Di Canada

Thank you for all you are Anderson Cooper, sweet dreams, Bon Nuit.

June 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Emily

@Sharon Hastings
    "It sounds so promising."
    Good news for a change...lets hope that it works...

June 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Joan in Connecticut

Ian Sharp,

From what I understand, BP disregards regulations and laws all over the world!

June 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Danna

Anderson,
    You are doing a wonderful job down here keeping them honest. Please don't leave. There are many who believe that your presence and that of all the CNN correspondents on the coast are getting more done than anyone else!

June 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  19. randall bays

yes, we should be looking into ways to clean up the oil .kevins machine is great there are lots of effective methods for that.But that should not be priority we have got to stop it at the source

June 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Lori on the coast. Miss.

Plaquemines Parish is the equivalent to a county in other states. To address a question, earlier. Most of these birds are bigger than hunting dogs. To address another comment.

June 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

BP is finally coming around!

June 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  22. kevin fort myers fl

Where's the rest of the world.??? The U.S helps everyone.???

June 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Claudia Zeiler

My 18yo daughter is trained in Marine Mammal rescue. She is ready to volunteer her summer vacation to help. She is one of the 17,000 who has signed up and have not been called. Any ideas in how she can connect?
    Thanks.

June 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Joan in Connecticut

Ian Sharp,

We have very good regulations in place that British Petroleum arrogantly chose to ignore.

June 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Scott Graves, while I agree with you, I have become de-sensitized to "major" news stories because of how the truly unimportant and sensational ones are driven into the ground over and over and over. Frankly, I haven't watched the news (CNN) regularly and I'm guessing that's because I find this story a little overwhelming.

June 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Kathryn PlymMtg PA

Imagine, Kevin Kostner has been seriously looking after the interest of our planet all these years. It is clearly not a money issue for him, he is truly a most caring individual.

June 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

Nice to see Kevin Costner on your show. Its nice to see his solution to cleaning up the oil is finally being considered...I will never figure out how they were allowed to wait so long to allow cleanup.

June 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Shanny

Get that Canadian guy and his barges hooked up with Costner!

June 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nice see Actor, Director & Environment Kevin Costner interview Anderson tonight, He is also right, he would have solve problem how to stop oil spill.

June 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Sharon Hastings

I'm glad Kevin Costner kept pushing his technology and didn't give up. It sounds so promising.

June 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Vickie

How long will it take to manufacture Costner's machines?

June 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Ellen

Anderson, thanks for staying on this, please show the real wildlife disaster photos continuously...we need to get this through to all Americans, they still don't get it. Yes, this is a panic situation, and we need to show the real truth, no cover up.

BP is an Enron, a 911 , a Katrina, 10 fold and I would like the Government , by way of Executive Order, kick them out of our country forever, never to be allowed to do biz here again...we need to set the example now, to warn all other big biz, to stop the greed factor, .find jobs for all of the decent BP employees (not the Executives), redirect them to clean energy jobs immediately, close down all BP stations within 10 days, and show that we mean business..

and lastly, take Haleburton and our former VP to court. it is time all Americans know the truth about our former VP as well. We've lost many lives in Iraq, due to a war that was "created" to give biz to Haleburton, and now, Due to their greed, and insistance to ignore safety regs, we have lost our beautiful Gulf Coast and the ocean's delicate eco system has been ruined for at least 20-30 years.....

This is a State of Emergency. I am waiting for President Obama's action to take immediate control.

Shame on Briton's Asst PM , if this was his North Sea and his economy, he would'nt be saying "lay off BP"!!!!!

June 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Stewart Karlstrom, Alberta, Canada

As a Canadian, thousands of miles away from this epic tradgedy, I watch AC360 night after night and am appalled at the actions of BP and the non action of the american goverment. I watch the plight of the residents, wildlife and a way of life and wonder when more people will be as sickened and outraged as I am and will say enough and take back their own country!!

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Boudreau, Montreal Quebec

BP does not own the gulf. How come we can't just go out and clean it up?

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Go Kevin! I hope this is the lynchpin that really helps this situation.

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Doug B.

Dear Anderson:

I just saw your story with Drew and Save The Birds and I am a Great Lakes area fisherman and I am shocked of your live bird images. Is there a way that I can contribute to Drew’s cause or does he have a web site up that we can contribute to help the birds? If anyone can help with this, you can. Thank you for your help in the Gulf.

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  37. Julie Francis

Lets welcome help where-ever it may come from to save our water, marine and our beautiful wild life. Do not go to any BP gas stations, lets put them out of business just as they have put many, many others out of business. There killing our wild life our water! it is sickening!

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  38. Linda, New York

I can't believe that the only scientists/engineers that can fix the leak work for BP. There must be many qualified people, anywhere. It really is aggravating when they say that only BP can fix, or work on the broken pipe.

I am not a scientist, but I think that if a slightly larger width pipe was placed over the broken pipe and long enough to come to the surface, the oil could be retrieved by a ship, or rig.

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  39. Karoline, Los Angeles

Efficiency would be nice in this matter.

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  40. Renee Dodson, Peru, Indiana

First, thanks Anderson for being there and telling it like it is when it comes to reporting what is going on in LA with the BP Catastrophe.

I am just SO disgusted by this whole thing that I have literally lost faith in humanity. We are the ones responsible to take care of this planet and all of its creatures. Lately, however, all you see of humanity is greed and gluttony. BP cares only about money and their reputation. The US government, in my opinion, has failed miserably in taking care of the spill. They should have booted BP out immediately and then swept in there and took charge.

Funny how we can move an entire military 10000 miles away and be ready to fight but we can't protect and defend our OWN shores from Foreign owned companies that do not care one iota about our countries land or ecosystems. I am at a loss for words when it comes to then seeing people where I live STILL buying gas from BP like nothing is wrong. The American people are just clueless and do not care unless it directly affect their wallets. Maybe gas needs to go up to 10 bucks a gallon, I bet then things would be different!

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Sonia Howell

I hope this Escrow,will be an Open Escrow, Like open medical. Untill the restoration is complete of all the lands that will be affected.Maybe Obama will think of this before the whole deal is made. Thanks for having Billy, Kevin and Douglass on to help us understand the mexican stand off that we are experincing right now. Kevin, just take the machine down ther and start the thing up.

June 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Shanny

Will these guys be the heros of the day?? Sounds promising!

June 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  43. Mark

Start a petition for BP to come on AC. I and I know thousands and thousands of others will sign it.

June 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Kenya

Goodnight Mr. Cooper and everyone.

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Karoline, Los Angeles

I think when the oil companies said, "We don't need these machines" they meant, "We don't want to work with you or share credit with you." 😉 It's all about pride.

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

it doesn't make sense that the authorities would rather have the birds die than to let the boats go out without the "required" number of "experts". That is ludicrous!

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I don't understand why they turned away the help when they had no plan of their own."
    I have a feeling that you were correct before...that they'd have to admit that they had to plan themselves, however, I'd hope that someone would have said something! (esp. with that HD. video)

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Bob

AC
    I am sure that BP Officers cannot talk with every media reporter who requests an interview. Please ask another CNN reporter to "give" you their interview appointment with BP ..... would be interesting to see if they would give up their interview appointment. Please stop winning about BP's refusal to talk with you. I know that they talk with another CNN reporter.
    Bob

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  49. Joan in Connecticut

At this moment, I love Kevin Costner more than ever. LOL

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  50. Joe

Anderson, be the first to show the new photo from NASA dated 0612/2010 from space. Shows the true extent of the oil spill and it looks to be all heading to Florida.

June 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm |