June 11th, 2010

Deepwater Disaster Survivor Stories: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the latest developments on efforts to determine how much oil is leaking into the Gulf. Plus, survivors of the doomed BP oil rig tell their stories.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Somehow I don't see these survivors working in this field in the future. Only time will heal some of the painful memory of this tragic event. I'm proud of their courage to come forward and speak the truth. Thank you Anderson and AC360 crew for the excellent reporting!

June 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

JoAnn, do the 'big shots' ever care about their workers? Anywhere? I think there is a huge 'gulf' there, probably both directions, almost inherent in the hierarchy.

June 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Sonia Howell

I am very proud of these surivors whom are speaking freeley and with bravery, telling us american's what is really going on, thanks and god bless everyone. I can relate to near-death experience, I have been there. Time hels but there is alot of sleepness night's ahead. Things will get better, but will always be with them every day.

June 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

All you have to do is Google BP to find out about their horrible safety record.

June 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

These guys will be the voices for the 11 guys who lost their life on the rig.

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The big shots at BP don't care about the concerns of the workers. They aren't risking their lives out on those rigs. Who speaks for the workers when they have concerns like this?

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  7. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

BP i$ negligent. Read the safety issues on the 360 blog! did I just do a promo?

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Emily

I wonder if Tony Hayward 'would believe it (positive safety record) if this part of BP was in the UK... !

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  9. matt hughes

bp doesnt know how much is flowing because it wasnt flowing when this happened there was no pumping oil out . we were a drilling rig thats all we drill into the oil and then set 7 or 8 plugs and abandon the well . a production platform comes in later and drills through the plugs and retrieves the oil. we should never see the oil on our rig. bp only set like 2 plugs and displaced the riser. the plugs didnt hold and it all came screaming out bc it didnt have enough pressure to keep it down.

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, it's very emotional, Emily.

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@ Scree good point but it makes me sick to look at Tony Hayward .

June 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Gregg Schoh

Transocean and BP are nothing more than mega-corporations who's top priority is returns for their stockholders... nothing more... nothing less. For Transocean to keep using the term "Transocean Family" when talking about the victims of the disaster is an insult to the real families who's husbands/fathers are dead and the tens of thousands of families who's livelyhoods and lifestyles will be devastated by this disaster for decades.

June 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Kathryn - Missouri

@ JD

I hadn't even thought about the burning! I was thinking about the dispersants sprayed by the planes and injected into the flow. Between it all, it sounds like a horrific recipe for toxic rain.

June 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Emily

@Megan,

It's a great interview here that Anderson has done with these survivors!
    There is a lot of information that they are providing, it's very emotional...
    I hope that they find out who was responsible for this leak/explosion and are made to pay!

June 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

And now. the oil is all wasted on the Gulf. You can't hurry oil!

June 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Betty Ann
    Yes, we do that for donation to help Gulf area, I agree.

June 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Lori on the coast. Miss.

Hi, Anderson, If you come to the MIsissippi Coast next week, we would love to show you around!

June 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Nancy in Oregon

Agree, Andy. I use wood heat a lot in the winter. That too is 'unsafe' in many ways.

June 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

Lori, amazing recoveries take place....over time. Sometimes surprisingly 'quickly', relatively speaking. Have hope.

June 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@ Michael Armstrong Sr. –

One way or the other BP's name is probably very famous in the world. I dont think they will need to make commercials any more for the next 100 years or so!

They can however keep apologizing all they want, but, who will believe them? It's self inflicted and constant failures, that took the faith away from them!

June 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Douglas Wotton

Dear Gentlemen,

I notice you recently updated your blog and being as neither of my prior emails made your list. Perhaps this one will. Has anyone taken into consideration that tomorrow on the 12th there is a full moon. Its tidal pull effect on the ocean will have the same effect on the under ground oil that is currently leaking up to the surface. Therefore increasing its rate of flow through that pipe. If you are looking for something to monitor and check perhaps that will suffice. Good luck with your endeavors Gentlemen & nice job Anderson Cooper.

June 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Andy Canada

Unsafe? working with gas and oil is always "unsafe". Do you heat your house with gas? That could be considered unsafe. There will always be accidents as long as we demand oil and gas for our cars and and other energy needs.

June 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

Anderson, again thank you so much. While I really do want to keep up with the latest and look forward to your reporting, I feel almost embarrassed every night by what isn't being done. I don't understand it. The clean up should have started the day after the worst of the explosion was over. No more waiting on BP to take the lead. We can see where that's gotten us.

June 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Nancy in Oregon

Matt, be well.

June 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Helen

@mike from Syracuse: I think you know in your heart which one is worse. Maybe the one that caused 11 people to die.

June 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Monica

This may seem odd, but BP has been the most transparent to date. They wanted to focus on containment and the only 100% solution is the relief well that will be ready in August. The other parties involved, Halliburton and Transocean, haven't really said much. It's a shame that BP is now following suit, with their lose lips sink ships strategy.

It has resulted in a new environmental Gulf War and the public release in their operation practices which were probably known by the regulatory agencies, employees, and local communities. Now, with national attention, maybe the government will include increased fines from the thousands to hundreds of thousands and create new acts named after the employees who died in this tragedy.

June 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

These are harrowing accounts of the explosion on the rig and the dangers of the evacuation.

Transocean must've been scrambling to account for all the crew members on the rig, but they were overwhelmed that is apparent. The evacuation and search for missing crew and communication with emergency vessels and fireboat would've been frantic.

June 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Nicole The Netherlands

@Lea, can you answer my question at 10.29?
    @ everyone, if you read Randi Kaye's "BP's safety record on the site, you really do question why they where authorised to drill..

June 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

I am so proud of the BP oil rig survivors for their courage to save and comfort those coworkers who were injured in the explosions! My heart goes out to the victim's families and to those who did not survive! Also, Anderson Cooper and the AC360 team have done an amazing job reporting the stories! Thank you!

June 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Kenya

@Matt Hughes
    I wish you strength as you heal from this painful memory. We're keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

June 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Lori on the coast. Miss.

Will the Gulf ever recover? Every skimmer in the world should be here.

June 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I think B.P. should make a new commercial without Tony Hayward on it .

June 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Nadeem Mull

Ask BP how much oil they were pumping ? and find out how much is spilling if they will tell the truth!

June 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Matt, bless you for your courage and wanting to help this situation. I hope you find a contact soon. This oil needs to stop flowing...

June 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Emily

@Sue R.
    "Tony Hayward should be forced to watch AC360 tonight. Of coarse he doesn't have time to deal with all the suffering that these families are going through."

That is getting in the way of Tony Hayward "getting his life back"... !!

It's such an emotional interview & Anderson is as professional as always.

June 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm not sure which is worse, BP's lies or the Administration's ineptness.

June 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@ Sue,

I am sure some one from BP is watching the show as well as the blog to get to know the sentiment here.

If not, they would not have an ad on ac360.com and would have not had an ad during the show yesterday

June 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. JD Elder

Kathryn, with BP burning the oil they retrieve (with dispersants) I also wonder how that will affect the air, and if it will travel to other places. (maybe Britain?)

June 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Lea

May the strength and dynamic of mother nature be able to adjust to the damage we have done. One day we are going to tip the scales too far and it's going to be too late. No amount of money in the world will be able to save us.

June 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Vincent McCue

Well.......Somehow BP will Profit from this disaster by hiking the price of fuel at the pumps but do you think i purchase gas at BP........no way!!

June 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  41. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

BP can apologize all they want. Words are cheap, action. . . . . . ?

June 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree with all of you, I am so thrill for Peru police arrested Joran Van der Sloot is back to jail now! he is really stupid bad thing to do. He already admitted to police. He made me sick, too!

June 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Kathryn - Missouri

We vacation in the Gulf every summer. I'm curious to know if there is any independent air quality testing going on along the LA, MS, AL and FL shores. With the tourism sector so negatively impacted by this mess, I don't trust the state or federal goverment (or their agencies) to tell us the truth. Many of us would like to continue to support the region by vacationing there again this summer, but are worried about what our children might unknowingly breathe in.

June 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Nicole The Netherlands

I am so thankful these workers from the rig are -able- to talk about this, it is total horror

June 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

It make me sicks to see the BP apology ad more and more everyday. It seems like they have bought a lot of air time.,

June 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's good for the survivors to talk, to think , and to remember it as it happen. It helps to release the stress of the explosion of the mind.

June 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  47. matt hughes

I am a survivor of the dwh explosion. i have developed a way in my head and on paper to stop the oil but dont know who to send it to or who i can contact. thanks for all of your prayers and uplifting support. i lost 11 great friends and brothers out there.

June 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  48. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@megan~ It would be a great book to read! And help heal the gulf. maybe AC would donate a portion to the recovery of the gulf. Hmmm I'd buy it!

June 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Nicole The Netherlands

@Emily i know, here the news is dutch elections and Joran. He went to get coffee to establish an alibi (!).. the other news, the election result is historical, unfortanately

June 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Betty Ann!
    Anderson~ You need to write another book about this disaster. The attention would help the Gulf.
    This is heartwrenching
    Yes!!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!!!! Good point!

Anderson, I agree with my best friend said, She is correct this time. you need take other book to write this disaster! 🙂

June 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |