June 10th, 2010

Higher Estimate on Oil Leak: Join the Live Chat

We had a feeling it was coming, but it's still not easy to hear. There are new higher estimates tonight on the amount of oil that leaked into the Gulf. We're have that for you and all the other developments live from Louisiana.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karoline, Los Angeles

Absolutely shocking what Mrs. Revette has said about how BP ignored her and her family after they killed her husband. Stunning apathy.

Is this just an oil company thing? Their corporate culture is all about harvesting and that's it?

June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  2. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I hear people complaining about loosing stock in BP. Hmmm. Maybe we should do our homework when investing in a company such as BP. Greed is the reason this disaster happened in the first place.

June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

James Carville is now the "voice" of all those affected by the spill. I can only hope that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep squeaking James.

June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  4. ralph

Electromagentic expansion ring will cut off flow guaranteed!

June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  5. David St. Luke

Why is BP still at the rig site, isn't their another company in the world that can help shut this oil spill down, I mean BP started this war against humanity and life forms for failure to follow proper safety guidelines for quick profit, I wonder if their in bed with some of the Republicans that are stalwarting the President from getting to the bottom of this lack of protocol and safety procedures I wonder if the bigots are behind this disaster sometimes because they don't seem to want to help the President out in this jam they even try to blame him for this mess, absolutely insane, I wish I could be down their helping
    and doing something but I am partially disabled and would probably just get in the way . Keep up the good work Anderson tell it from the heart like you always do. David

June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Craig - USA

Hi everyone,

Can the Gov. acquire BP's production records (since the Horizon Deep Water site went online) and determine the flow rate based upon that information. You know that BP knows exactly how much is produced each day and by each well – down to the penny.

If not, I think it would still be good information for the public to know.

If it has been reported, I've missed it and would appreciate any help...

June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Ethan

Of the 34.4M employees in the five Gulf States, nearly 36% are tied to businesses located in coastal counties- That's over 12M people at over 2.3M businesses....

What will it be a year from now...

June 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Marie

Why does BP – a British corporation – control access to the American waters? Why does BP – a British corporation – control access to the American shoreline? Why does Obama allow this?

June 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Lew

Anderson,

Now that Professor Ira Liefer has the HD video, why doesn't he now have a flow rate calculated? Let me answer that question – because studying the plume in 5000 ft of water will never lead anyone to an accurate calculation of the flow rate.

The BP engineers know the the size and length of the pipe through which the oil is flowing. They also should have an idea of the pressure at the formation or at the entrance to the pipe and they have the pressure at the outlet (pressure of the water at depth). It is much more accurate to calculate the flow rate from this information.

June 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I guess not to be derogatory about our country but, had this spill had happened of the coast of China, Tony would have been in their custody and I guess we could have seen this turned out.

Hundreds of engineers, volunteers, and military are out there to help, but they don't have the tools that will help them do the job!

Whose fault is it that people who can help have no tools?

June 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

All these numbers make me dizzy. Not accustomed to messure in gallons and barrols I keep doing the math, but whatever it is in any messure – it is too much!

June 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360 Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Nicole, David, Megan, Nancy, Gloria, Sree, & Bloggers!

This seems very frustrating listening to James talk...

June 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nancy in Calif,
    Yes, James Carville and Douglas Brinkley have good point there, James have right to be angry against Goverment and pres. Obama.

June 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  14. jessieb

we can put a man on the moon
    we can put a robot on mars
    we can build a car that parks it self
    but we can't put a cork in this

June 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

How can they be planning for worst case scenerio when they never had a plan to begin with? James Carville is right ,,we are under attack.

June 10, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Jim Kiser Rocklin, Ca

Anderson, I have stated on this blog and others, It is obvious to me, the flow has always been higher than BP's estimates, also, it was easy to see that cutting the pipe and the broken drill bit in it would allow a huge amount "more" crude to escape into the Gulf.
    I have one last question for all of the doers. If they can cut that pipe, they most surely can drill into it. If they can drill into the pipe, they surely can drill into the pipe and add a bolt or two or three, or fifty?
    If they can get 10 bolts into the pipe to obstruct it, they can slow the leak down or stop it.

June 10, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Steve

If Obama and BP want transparency let's televise the meeting they are going to have, otherwise it's another " closed door meeting with an energy company" Cheney II

June 10, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Karoline, Los Angeles

Senator Boxer (ours) is awesome. She's smart and bold.

June 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Joseph DeLeon

Why don't we offer companies with oil tankers an opportunity to turn this disaster into a profitable clean-up process. have BP pay them to have thier vessels equiped with huge syphoning pumps to suck the oil up out of the water. Since oil is lighter than water they could have another pump equiped to their vessels to remove any water sucked in by the process. The oil tankers could then ship their cargo to a processing facilty to salvage the oil. BP could buy the recycled oil from the companies, thus saving the enviroment, oil, and help pay for the oil spill with from all the oil salvaged....

June 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Nicole The Netherlands

Good evening Everyone!!

Anderson, please explain that the amount of barrols of oil spilled by BP is not only important for everyone to know
    But also could be very important for what BP has to -pay-!!
    (not everyone knows that)
    Don't understand the law, but it has to do with Clean Water Act

June 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sue,
    I agree, we are so griefing much we see oil leaks over the gulf, You're absolutely right!

June 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Di Canada

It is too bad the American Government is not wanting any oil rigs of it’s own. I don’t really see the down side of having BP pay with assets. The U.S. government could use more money and it would really send a clear message to the other oil companies.

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Samantha - Nashville, TN

Good evening all...

5,000 barrels...40,000 barrels...let's just pick a number. It's clear that BP does not know nor care what the flowrate is. This is a PR nightmare for them as more questions develop that need answers.

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Audra

I agree that they are scared, but not of the questions; but the corner of honestly. Go get em tiger!! Why not prompt a boy cot of all BP gas stations. I am avoiding them even if I need a napkin to blow my nose.

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Karoline, Los Angeles

I have serious doubts about the advice Pres. Obama is getting regarding the science of this mess. I've heard more than one wise person say he and the gov't. have to take over this mess. I agree.

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Nancy in California

James Carville and Douglas Brinkley have so much passion. I love that about them.

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I guess any one with reasonable sense could look at the video of the oil gushing out and say, its much more than just a finite #...

the # probably is much more higher than what is being called out today! With the pressure in the well and no regulating mechanism, it will only increase more.

I just dont know how to comprehend this situation any more!

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  28. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Megan @Gloria Anderson did a great interview with the victims. I posted it on my fb.
    BP is totally irresponsible and unaccountable for their reckless actions. We are suffering the disasterous effects and will be for years. Keep on keeping on AC!

June 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Kenya

Am I the only one still wondering how BP continues to get away with their neverending lies. Someone needs to be in jail. This spill and their negligence in fixing it is a CRIME.

June 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Loren Daoust

Couldn't you determin the flow coming out of the pipe by using data from when the rig was producing before it was destroyed?

June 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Dr. David Colman

Why can't they accurately calculate the oil flow rate? The diameter of the damaged pipe is known (about 21 inches), the viscosity of the oil is known, and most important, the pressure needed to overcome the upward pressure of the oil and inject mud through the smaller pipe they inserted – a number they know from the "top kill" procedure – must be known. It should be a simple calculation. What gives?

June 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Karoline,
    Yes, BP lied to us and including media, They were cover-up their mouth. That is misleading from BP right now.

June 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  33. Amanda Walton - Fort Erie, Ontario

It's all speechless, it's a nightmare that continues and I don't live on the Gulf coast, I've never had the pleasure to visit the Gulf coast but know how beautiful it is from my parents who loved the Gulf Coast and have been to many of the Gulf Coast states. I'm so sickened and have cried off and on day after day seeing water, wildlife, sea life and people poisoned and why I believe off shore drilling everywhere should slowly be cut back and replaced with green technology. Continue drilling on land but keep it out of the ocean where it's obviously almost impossible to fix when a disaster like this happens. My heart goes out to fishermen and those who rely on the fisheries including hospitality closing down and even more reason to keep the moratorium on deep offshore drilling. Blessed Be to all in my prayers always

June 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Elaine H from CT

Hi I am an environmental engineer that cleans up spills for a living. This topic is making me crazy...The government and the press always wants to know "how much was spilled". Anderson, it just doesn't matter. You can't put the horse back in the barn. You can't clean it all up – ever. So volume doesn't help. The flowrate doesn't matter. Focus on stopping the source and then on the cleanup. I have been doing this for 20 years....the amount spilled doesn't make a difference when you design the cleanup. BP isn't calculating a flowrate because it doesn't matter to the problem at hand – how does that information help anything.

June 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

Good evening.

Another day of grief in the gulf and so many more to come.
    Thank you Anderson for asking so many question's that we all want answers to.

June 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gloria,
    I agree with you, too. Anderson was doing great job interview victim people.

June 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Di Canada

I am thinking that you were not aware of that commercial from BP was going to air last night, will there be more? Or, did you, mmmm, ‘ask’ that no more pop up during your show?

June 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Janice Ocala Florida

Hi Anderson,
    Be the Pit Bull and get the answers,not surprised that BP is not talking to you..not surprised that BP is blocking reporters and pic of wildlife..Be Careful...But go get em...BP thinks they can push us around and I hope they find out they can't.

June 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Karin,
    Nice see you again, Yes, I also agree your comment. Good point there.

June 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hi everyone,

Does BP know how to do anything else but lie?

June 10, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"And that was a good interview too, Anderson!"

June 10, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. It's great to be here tonight with all of you. Is there such a thing as good news where it concerns BP and the spill? It's always a choice of bad, worse, or really horrible. 20,000 to 40,000 barrels a day? Or worse? Terrible. BP's whole organization are such a bunch of liars. "Keepin'm honest" has never been so hard, huh?

June 10, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sree.
    Yes, We do! That is good show tonight.

June 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Di Canada

BP is as transparent as that sludge they are filling the gulf with.

June 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Here is what I have heard and gathered today –
    1. BP's numbers for the amount of gallons leaking into Gulf is discounted.
    2. I heard a number as big as 180 billion dollars in total estimated damages.
    3. It has now become strategic for BP to file for Chapter 11.
    4. Today was the first time that British Government and other officials made comments pertaining to BP.
    5. David Cameron is schedule to call Obama this weekend for the first time over BP.

June 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Hi Anderson, crew and bloggers,

Anderson,
    do you really wonder why none of the BP guys will come on your program???
    They are afraid of you. Not afraid that you would yell or bite them, but afraid of the tough questions you would ask them as you did on May, 19th. Your questions were tough and the answers of Mr. Dudley were so weak that he really disgraced himself. I think that no one of the BP guys are keen to make this experience again. They are just not up to you!
    Maybe you can take it as a compliment??!!

I look forward to your show tonight though I sometimes think that it is ironic, if not cynical to watch and in a way being eager to know all this distastarous news, but it is so important to get this news out to the world.
    Thank you Anderson for doing so.

June 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Di Canada

Hello, Anderson, I can not wait to see what you have in store for us tonight. Thank you for your ongoing coverage and keeping them honest in the gulf.

June 10, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 Team, Megan, Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Sue, David, Nicole, Gloria, Heather, and other bloggers!

Hoping for a great show tonight!

June 10, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Joe, Jessica, Candy, David Gergen, Ed Henry, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!