June 8th, 2010

Live view of BP oil leak

BP has released a live feed of the oil leak to the public. Click on the photo below to see it.

We'll have more on the latest on the Gulf oil disaster tonight on AC360° at 10pm ET.

1. J.V.Hodgson

Gosh, I must be like the last post Smith in Oregon comment be really upsetting CNN with the facts on certain topics. I just discovered that "3/4 Comments awaiting moderation" have been deleted although it took 2/3weeks in some cases. Seems that facts do not interest CNN only dramatic incomplete, and in some cases outright inaccurate
    I could Quote some recent examples but I guess I need waste no more time as this will be "moderated out" (thats a misnomer) as well. As it seems absolutely accurate and true facts don't count only drama.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

July 15, 2010 at 12:53 am |
  2. Debbie

BP is still lying to everyone, They are saying its safe to go in the water and it isn't, There not showing you when the oil is first coming up on shore its bubbling because its hot or has acid in it they show you the beaches the next day after it stop bubbling, And It can cause cancer for years to come, There are dead whales BP has out there flouting that they dont know what to do with that's covered in oil, They have made it a no fly zone now so the people cant see what is really going on, I'm not just telling you what i think I'm telling you what i know for a fact,

July 14, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  3. carla leite

The day that oil pipe is closed forever, will be one of the happiest days of my life,nothing compares to it,

July 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Smith in Oregon

While it is entirely refreshing to now see CNN and Thad Allen discussing and openly contemplating the seriousness of a under seafloor rupture of the Louisiana BP blown Oil well drill pipe and casing resulting in multiple seafloor vents and cavity's spewing out Louisiana heavy crude Oil from the mercando Oil reservoir under immense pressure.

Month's ago, I had repeatedly posted on that very and specific situation and how serious that would be. Anderson Cooper and his blogger staff repeatedly deleted all of those comments left in AC360 blogs. Such callous actions detracts from informing the CNN audience and detracts from useful information from even being shared.

July 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  5. Joseph Klotz

What happened w/ the rest of the blogs between June 4-24. I had left a comment about them doing EXACTLY what they are doing now with the robotic submarines and capping it off! A few others had commented along w/ myself w/ almost the same idea. I don't see their blogs anymore either. Sometimes, us "regular joe's" can be smarter than these big wigs at BP. Pat yourself on the back for being so dang smart. (and nevermind to us "little guys")!!!!

July 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  6. william duffy

NEW PLAN... Build a barrier from Miami, FL to Havana, Cuba. Then from Havana, Cuba to Cancun, Mexico. This in return, will trap all the oil in a central location. Sparing the rest of the world from BPs blunder. The upside is it could be named The Gulf of Mexico Tar Pit. Who's with me? It would be larger than Disneyworld.

July 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

What will be left for future generations? What learning can we move on to our children?

Go Cooper! You're doing a magnificent job that our planet in peril.

July 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  8. glenn

Is it true? I heard Bp is paying people picking up tar balls $18.00 per hour and supervisor's $36.00 per hour. I heard also they get a 10 minute break every half-hour. A friend of mine told me, it seemed like most of them spent more time standing/sitting around and talking than working. Also what about those large plastic bags their using with hardly anything in them? Aren't plastic bags a bi-product of oil? If so, maybe that's why BP is using the extra large ones. By the way, I'm 67, and don't care how hot it is, if you need a break every half-hour, your just plain lazy.

July 13, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  9. Fran Morello

I really appreciated Billy Nungesser's comments last week about the the incompetency of our present administration, not only about the handling of the Gulf disaster, but overall. He echoed the sentiments of many Americans.

June 30, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  10. Lavon

anderson.Whats up with this methane scare Huffington Post reports and several other people have written about possible implosion of the well creating a greater disaster maybe thats why no one from washington wants to come down just sayen!!

June 30, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  11. Mil

I am so tired of people blaming everything on the President of the US
    this is not his fault and he is doing everything possible to help the situation , he have been to Louisiana, what about Governor of Loisiana, what is he doing to help the situation? The president have lots of other issues to deal with, the Oil leak is one of them, so people need to stop complaining about him, as if it is his fault or he cause this to happen..
    Anderson thanks for doing a great job.

June 30, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  12. John Doe

I think all of this is a big joke. They're trying to clean it up and and just cause a bigger mess. Also, I don't understand how any of this is President Obama's fault.

June 30, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  13. David Barberg

How can anyone in their right mind even consider consuming seafood from the Gulf Coast. I surely don't want to consume crude oil and dispersments with my seafood. It could be 50 years or even longer before Gulf Coast seaafood may be safe to eat. President Obama has said food safety standards will be in place to ensure we can all feel safe eating the seafood from the Gulf Coast. What will he say when just one person becomes fately ill and it results in death? The fishermen and women of the Gulf Coast have lost their way of life for generations to come. I am also tired of hearing about fundraisers to help animal rescue organizations when its BP's mess and they said they will clean it up. BP's responsibility should include paying for the efforts to save the Gulf Coast wildlife aswell. We don't need fundraisers or auctions, we need BP to clean up their mess and pay all the costs associated with the clean up effort. BP should be banned from cunducting any and all business in the United States, and just consentrate on the clean up. If any oil company fails any inspection they should also loose the right to do any and all business in the US also.

For those who consume seafood from the Gulf Coast soak a steak in crude oil and let us know how it tasts and if you become ill.

David

June 30, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  14. Sonia

Anderson I live in Canada and I have followed this heart breaking story from the get go. I really hope that something happens soon and I do believe that this should be removed from BP's hands because they have no clue as to what they are doing.

June 30, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  15. Charles Graham

I have been attempting to determine where the $50 million dollars each that BP gave Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida was spent. I know the states are not paying for clean up workers, scimmers or claims so where did all those dollars go. I have heard constant complaining about not having funds??? The commissioner of the Santa Rosa Beach Authority can not get equipment? Why not?
    By the way, since Louisiana is a oil drilling state and receives what appears to be hundreds of millions of dollars in annual royalties, why in the world did the State have no emergency plan or equipment? If you allow drilling off your coast and there is a huge spill do you think you may get some oil on your beaches and in your marsh????? I do not get it!

June 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  16. Eileen

Anderson – God bless you and CNN for keeping this in the forefront!
    I thought the president said in his speech from the oval office that the leak was to be 90% capped by this week. What happened to that? Does anyone know??

June 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  17. Jackie Schuknecht

I heard that olied birds that are released die shortly after having being washed. Is it possible to have a bird tagged and followed to see what the ultimate outcome is? Kudos to you for your excellent reporting Anderson and keeping the spotlight on the horrendous disaster. We need energy alternatives NOW!

June 29, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  18. Gymjim

Anderson I said this elsewhere and will say it again. Are you and CNN going to move to New Orleans when the second leak happens? People are suffering, let's talk about how to avoid leak #2, which will happen because the same players and circumstances exist. We get it BP sucks badly, the Federal Government can't do much better, and Bobby Jindhal is only kidding himself if he thinks he can clean a fraction of what is being spewed. I'm not happy with the efforts, but let's start talking about how to avoid leak #2.

June 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  19. Gymjim

looks like oil to me.....looks like BP oil, not Obama's oil.

June 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  20. Eddie Rice

It seems to me that those people who argue that they should continue to drill in the gulf despite learning that the oil companies claims of being able to contain spills are just as irresponsible / money hungry as BP and the other oil companies..

June 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  21. Eddie Rice

The worse case scenario for the BP oil spill is that they will not be able to stop the leak despite adding two relief wells sometime in July. In that case all of the oil that is in the well spills into the gulf. I haven't heard anyone speculate on how much oil is in the well and how it would impact the environment if all of the oil spills into the gulf.

June 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  22. Frank

I think they should use wood chips to absorb the oil pick it up out sea like a float peace of wood your can steer cost nothing to try, use finer chips for the oil shines all nature quick to work. Fj

June 24, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  23. Eric Massia

cap will never stop the flow because the presure will be to get for them to close the vents.
    Instead off banning offshore drilling they should ban BP from drilling in the gulf

June 24, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  24. merideth

why can't BP put a big barge in the ocean near the spill and start sucking up all the oil near the source of spill and put into containers and send ashore,,then we can find a way to dispose of. At least then it would not be hitting the shores..why are we waiting until it hits shore ? start sucking it up near the source.

June 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  25. susan williams

Good Work Anderson!

Tell them to blow the pipe up! End this nightmare!

Susan W.

June 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
  26. betty Johnson

Hello Andersen: here is some sage advise from a 70+ grandma in Colorado (me).
    If the execs. at B.P. would just stop and think,
    There's a quick way to stop the oil spill and it's stink.
    Just shove their money in the well hole,
    Until it stops the oil flow,
    Then give them gin in oily water to drink
    (there is a soltion to every problem;, they just don't want to spend the money. after all, it's not in their backyard. )

June 1, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  27. Jonathan Chauncy

“The spill has already leaked between 19.7 million and 43 million gallons, according to government estimates.”

1 qt of oil is said to make 250,000 gals of water toxic

4qt to a gallon = 120 million quarts spilled

120 million x 250,000 = 30000000000000.00 Thirty billion gallons of water made toxic to fish so far.

UNBELIEVABLE! UNFORGIVABLE!

June 1, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  28. Peter Jacobs

I am from Newfoundland ,Canada.. sad to see these spills anywhere in the world,, Hay/straw is really good for soaking oil.. maybe drop that from planes and boats spread it along the shores to soak up lots of oil. it would be much easier to contain in the booms, much easier to clean that up and keep it from spreading too much.. as for the leak I'm sure there is something on earth heavy enough to put on to pipe to squash it so less would be leaking out.. hope it stops soon..

June 1, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  29. Trevey

BP execs have absolutely no credibility with me I am sick everytime I hear one of them on the news. I doubt they are telling anything near the truth. They don't care about the unrecoverable disaster they've created for the US – only about the millions they were to make and are now losing. It is a sad day for this country and a wake up call for us. We need to sho BP we're "mad as h____ and not going to take it anymore." TIme to get the boycott effort rollingt – the least we as everyday americans can do. And time for our government to sever ties with big oil and show them who is in charge of this country by and for the people.

June 1, 2010 at 6:52 am |
  30. Lael Bradshaw

i don't think one method is going to clean up this disaster. many methods should be tried to soak up the oil. all the poor animals, why must we destroy so much for our own pleasures?
    thanks for the great coverage, keep pestering!!!

June 1, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  31. joyce schamburg

It seems to me that all of BP's efforts have been two-fold, cap and capture. the first top cap failed because some type of crystals formed and they were unable to redirect oil. But, wouldn't this method have stopped the flow until a viable 'plan b' to capture? The LMRP is designed to 'capture'. We shouldn't be concerned with capture – just cap for now.

June 1, 2010 at 1:42 am |
  32. Eduardo Hernandez Rivera

I feel BP is trying to save their oil well. Otherwise a simple solution would be to assist nature in closing the well naturally.
    Have our military put some explosives on the well, and allow the earth to seal itself.

June 1, 2010 at 1:09 am |
  33. Sharon Petz

I have seen video on U-tube showing microbe bio-remedial remedies for oil spills used by the Texas Dept. of Land Management in 1989. It was proven safe and very effective and has been used on oil spills in the gulf as well as in the marshes on shore.
    It's simply a matter of spraying safe, natural microbes onto the oil spill and letting the microbes do the work. They eat the oil and die, becoming food for shrimp and other sea life. The water is cleaned in a matter of days or weeks.
    Why is this not a considered solution for this gulf oil spill? Why, when it has been successfully used in the past, is it not a remedy for this current disaster? This is easy to research. It is not a big secret.
    Will someone please tell me why proven methods of cleaning oil on the Gulf of Mexico waters are not being sought as solutions now?
    What is going on here?

June 1, 2010 at 12:54 am |
  34. Jo La Torre

This is a very serious situation and I feel that it is being viewed as something that was at first considered to be a slight problem and is now quite obviously a large problem. My own beliefs about this are not important. Facts are what is important. The oil needs to be scooped up and brought away from the water and stored. If BP can't do the job or won't do it, we should just hire someone who can and have BP pay them until they cap that pipeline. Once the pipeline is repaired, then we should fine them for reckless endangerment and murder for the lives lost due to their incompetent actions.
    Why can't we use some kind of suctioning device and skim the oil off the water and out of it . I mentioned this once before, "water and oil do not mix". We could use oil tankers and have the fisherman (that BP put out of business) help on the tankers and have BP pay them for the clean up. Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 12:53 am |
  35. Bruce K

Every passing day raises more questions about whether this oil leak will EVER be stopped, and consequently, more questions about BP's ability to survive this disaster. BP executives are certainly aware of this. I'm wondering whether anyone has taken any measures to find out if BP executives are paying themselves multi-million-dollar bonuses in preperation for a potential collapse of their company. Are they transferring assets to bogus off-shore companies or hiding cash in off-shore accounts? Is the U.S. Government taking any steps to freeze BP assets in an effort to protect the American taxpayers from the certain astronomical costs of this unprecedented disaster? I'm just wondering...

May 31, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  36. lawrence

This oil spill has begun to weigh quite heavy on my and many minds. The 100 ton structure built to be a cap was aborted? Why? It is hard to understand that there has not yet been a solution.
    Crush it... Strategically sink a giant smooth round boulder on to the opening of the well. It really seems simple.
    I enjoyed reading the suggestion to freeze the oil with liquid nitrogen as well, that could be a temporary fix?
    BP, if you are holding out on a fix to try and save the well head for profit, I am mortified at your process and hope that this accident bankrupts your business in the U.S.
    Thank you to all of those people working on a solution and clean up efforts!

May 31, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  37. Jason

I know how to possibly plug up the Oil pipe........Use the Material that Disposable Ear plugs are made out of, just on a larger scale that's all! I think that's smarter then the mud/concrete

May 31, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  38. Carolyn Mulkerrin

I saw the footage tonight on Anderson 360 of the president taking repsonsibility for not taking correct action on the oil spill. However, what I failed to hear was his plan for moving this situation forward towards resolution.

May 31, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  39. Jay

Anderson,
    Since BP and Goverment officials seems to be taking the spill clean up lightly, way don't we let them swim in the Gulf and marsh lands to show us how good things are. Maybe when they are getting sick from the oil like the fish, birds and the clean up workers are they will step and get things done. There are a lot of people out there that have suggestions for helping stop the leak and clean up maybe the highly trained and educated should listen since they have not proven anything.
    Thank you!

May 31, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  40. Mary

Anderson,

Bobby Jindal showing you the results of the oil spill on the wild life in SC, what about the life of poor human individuals suffering from unemployment? Oh well I guess they don't own any fishing boats hummm.........Have you forgotten what Bobby Jindal said about the role of government?

Government Role

Jindal pressed his view that government should not be the answer to all problems.

“It comes down to an honest and fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government,” he said. “We oppose the national Democrats’ view that says the way to strengthen our country is to increase dependence on government. We believe the way to strengthen our country is to restrain spending in Washington, to empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and create jobs.”

Jindal has been a leader of a handful of Republican governors who have criticized the $787 billion stimulus bill that Obama signed into law last week. He was the first governor to say he would turn down about $90 million in unemployment benefits for his state that he claims would lead to a business tax increase.

May 31, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  41. Gerald

Anderson:

Is it possible that the deep sea oil well cannot be sealed or repaired? We don't have the technology to stop volcanoes. Perhaps this is a similar type of event, and we will have to let nature take its course and let all the oil and gas flow until it stops on its own.

May 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  42. rick ekstrom

I agree with peter – why cant the oil be "sucked " off the surface of the ocean and also where are all these "slick lickers" they used to have way back when?

May 31, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Karoline, Los Angeles

I still haven't heard an answer from BP, scientists, or govt. officials about why we can't have tankers out there sucking up the oil and water as it rises to the surface.

May 31, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Pat Feirtag

Why aren't all the World's Oil Companies coming together to assist with solutions to both the underwater oil leak and the enormous clean-up needs?

May 31, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Martina

42 days of not sealing the leak means that BP does not want to seal off the leak they would rather cause it to flow more so they can "contain" the leak and pump the oil to a barge. Does that sound like ...stop the leak.
    no it sounds like collect and sell the oil...and the containment will still have oil leaking...it just benefits BP to contain it to sell later. Oh no they wont kill the well. that is killing their profits. PROFIT first.

May 31, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  46. margie kronewitter

Many are suspecting BP does NOT WANT TO STOP THE GUSHER in order to maintain posession & harvest the crude. Mike Adams of Natural News interviewed oil workers on the gulf who also agreed. They view it as a "tiny" spill with "minimum impact". THEY LIE!!!!!!!

May 31, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Ray

Anderson, some questions I'd like to hear you ask:
    Of the EPA: Of the over 3,000 oil rigs in the Gulf, how many are under EPA guidelines, how many have gotten waivers similar to the BP rig in the news, and since this mess, how many have been re-inspected? What other rigs are at similar (business management pushing for production over environmental safety) risk of this type of disaster?
    Of the Obama administration: While this clearly is not your fault, what opportunities for a more rapid and effective response do you regret? Foreign aide, Military planning?
    Of the Obama administration: BP clearly has the option of filing Chapter eleven and pay zero for the families and businesses impacted. What are your plans in the event BP simply ceases to exist – how can the Gulf States recover if there is no BP?
    Ray

May 31, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  48. Loren Wilson

Hey Anderson...I love your work!
    I am a retired pipefitter, I'm sure you are aware that "wildcatters are pipe fighters. I sent a letter to the New York Times with a solution to the gulf leak, but the passing of time and the collapse of the riser oil pipe have now made that solution obsolete. I shall therefore offer a new solution. Let me preface it with tthis comment though." Pipe fitting ain't brain surgery." Simple solutions do exist. When working with pipe, sometimes imaginative innovative thought and action become necessary. So, what could be done? Build a custom steel pressure resistant box. It should be double or triple walled. Within the outer wall concrete should be poured. Then lower over the entire leak area. Then boulder sized rocks should be carefully (and I mean BIG ones) lowered as to be the least damaging to the damaged under water utility. Of course the damaged riser should be cut back. But not so much as to remove the kink which is beneficially slowing oil flow. These boulders would then slow the flow, catching some oil. Pressure is no longer an issue and concrete can be be blown over and through the the boulders. Permenant encasement can then be attempted. Imagine, if you will that this pressure welded box as quite large.
    There you have it. If this idea seems impracticle, speak to some experts. With the ever changing nature of this disaster, other options can be considered.
    I graduated from the best pipefitter's school in America. I am the president of my class (1990). I was among the first females to become union pipefitters in U.S. I am considered highly regarded in my field.
    It is my personal belief that BP is participating in a campaign of disinformation. I have noticed "looping" in supposed live feed. How can we even know the underwater film is of this leak? I may be wrong, but it seems there is a large rupture at the top of the utility itself through which the methane is billowing. I thank you for your consideration. Experienced field operators know SO MUCH more than corpoate engineers in such situations. Come on Fitters...lets get this one!!

May 31, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  49. David Curbello

I preface this by saying my expertise is at 300 # psi.Now BP is planning to cut off the riser and demo the scrap. I do know exactly how to fix this l eak in a 4ft. ditch at l 300#psi or less. Imay have ideas to help although the materials would need to pulled off by an expert at specs at those pressures.After the cut is made work with due diligence but not nervously. Make the cut long enough to accept a sleeve down, in order to slide back to center joint. then add a 6` spigot pc. with an open valve. then slide the sleeve up and center over the joint and secure. Then shut the valve. Leak stopped. I realize presures are 2500#psi or more on the oil and gas line . Iwould rod back to the b0p. for a deadman. Are there sle eves and can the robots do this manual labor at this preesure ?

May 31, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  50. Rajiv Narayanaswamy

Anderson,

In regards to the clean up efforts:

1. Create dunes along the bank of the gulf. The dune will collect the oil and can be more easily removed at a later date.

2. Oil in the gulf.. use cotton cloth, as nets (like fishing nets).. comb the water.. drop the nets to a depth of 50 feet and this will collect a lot of the oil. (trying it in a bath tub will prove the concept). It takes a big effort.. but it a lot better than whats happening now.

Rajiv