June 7th, 2010

Video: Exclusive: Oil rig explosion survivors speak out

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

A CNN exclusive. CNN's Anderson Cooper interviews a group of survivors from the sunken Deepwater Horizon oil rig. This is the first time a group of survivors has sat together in an interview and spoken publicly about what they went through. Their stories provide perhaps the most detailed account so far of what happened when the rig caught fire and exploded on April 20th. Watch a preview of the interview below. The full interview will air Monday June 7th and Tuesday June 8th at 10pm ET on AC360°.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Gulf Oil Spill
  1. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Just heartbreaking!

June 7, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  2. Alyson

This rig was OWNED, OPERATED and MAINTAINED by TRANSOCEAN. Why aren't they being held accountable?

June 5, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Mark

Here's an interesting fact. Today BP said they're capturing about 30% of the oil. When they cut the riser, they said the flow of oil would increase by 20% (probably more).
    Let's say X barrel per day was flowing before cutting the riser. After cutting the riser the flow was at least bumped to 1.2X, which 30% of it is 0.36X. So the oil flowing now is 1.2X-0.36X=0.84X.
    It means, comparing to the conditions before cutting the riser, BP is only reducing the flow at most by 16% !!

June 5, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  4. James McCulley

I would like to know why can't oil company's dig relief wells at the same time they dig the main well. Is that possible technically or is it just a cost issue their to cheap to pay to do it. If that is possible then if a blowout happened couldn't they then immediately go to to relief wells. please ask BP this question.

June 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  5. winslow

Is there an investigation into the cause of this disaster? Have they ruled out terrorism?

June 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  6. David Clauss

Hi,
    It seems to me that if a skimmer can pickup a barrel of oil per hour and the Well is dumping 70,000 barrels per day then we need a lot more skimmers. Every fisherman should be equipped with the means to pick up oil from the water just like they picked up fish.
    BP Can pay them for each barrel of oil they pick up. Lets get with it. Get the EPA to train them. Do what ever to put them to work.

Keep up the good work!
    Dave Clauss

June 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  7. Rick in Seattle

If there is a rise in fuel prices do to this or other companies trying to capitalize on BP's issue count me in for a class action law suit!

June 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Jean Dodge

One suspects these employees have all signed non-disclosure agreements with BP as reported on previously. Still I hope that Mister Cooper asks them many questions regarding the cause and events leading up to the blowout. Testimony before government hearings suggest there were inexcusably bad decisions made in the way this well was brought in, and that crucial warnings that went unheeded and deep disagreements occurred between senior parties of various subcontractors with the way the drilling was to be done. If the nature of these interviews ends up focussing solely on the events after the blowout began, then we can assume these workers are all acting under a corporate gag order and the real topic, how this happened and what can be done to prevent another such disaster is off the table.

June 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  9. Anthony Hopkins

I am very sorry about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. I do not understand why the public is blaming the President and His Administration for the disaster, but the Government is doing the best they can to deal with this problem. The people who are responsible for this disaster is the companies itself. I hope and pray that this oil spill does not go any further than where it is right now. Otherwise, it will be a very serious disaster because it can adversely affect other coastal waters, marine life, as well as contaminate drinking water that we as humans need to drink. Thank you for allowing me to comment.

Sincerely,
    Anthony Hopkins
    Dayton, Ohio

June 5, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  10. Bob Drake

Has anyone determined if the blowout preventers on the 2 releif wells are improved and ready to work properly or will we have 2 more well that could end up the same as the first??

June 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  11. gabriel laguna

Its about time we as Americans come together on this oil spill and stop pointing the fingers at BP and the government . WE Know Who to blame when its finally over. Its time for us as Americans to help figure out away creatively and think of how to stop the oil? So Here's My idea/question Is it true when a high pressure liquid is coming out of a pipe it is positively charged? If so couldn't they build some metal plates with a negative charge on them connect to a hose collect the oil? Just an idea!!!

June 5, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  12. Donovan

Hey Anderson,

Question for BP and US Goverment and only you have the voice to ask it.

Why not drive a small pipe with explosives 10,000 down below the well surface and make a series of small explosions from 10,000 to 9,000 feet. It will significantly slow or stop the flow. Then inject concrete into the remaining 9,000 feet.

It should be able to be done in a matter of 10 days.

Cheers,
    Donovan from Burbank CA

June 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  13. Carlson Potts

Dear Anderson,
    I am becoming a little alarmed by the severity of this historical yet uncommon incident. I am a recent business graduate and artist welding for a living. I have family in the coastal south east and have moved to the Puget Sound where energy and infastructure are opening up a good career for me.
    I am appauled with BP in their business practices and wish my government to interveen on the behalf of my fellow Americans. I believe that the disregard for safety code and the lives of their employees and the devestation that is still occurring is grounds for seizure of the site. The National Gaurd, Army Corps. of Engineers and Coast Gaurd must now provide a environmental bailout. The American people want the flow stopped. The Corps. should blast the rig and take control

June 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  14. Michael Vucurevich

If BP was a restaurant serving tainted food, the health department would shut down the restaurant. Why doesn't the gov't make BP start shutting down deep water oil wells until the problem is solved. All other businesses on land would be shut down with this type danger to the public

June 5, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  15. Teri in the state of CT

Hi Anderson,

I don't know how all the wild life is going to survive with all this oil. We can help only so many, what's going to happen with our wildlife. Dawn can do only so much. What about the people that want to help for free, like the one's that have been at the sea all their lives. I"m from the state of CT, and went to Marco Island in December. I saw the pelicans and dolphins everyday now what is going to happen to them when I want to go down there now? I'm afraid for them!

June 5, 2010 at 5:16 am |