June 7th, 2010

Questions Over Amount of Oil Leaking:Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Anderson continues to report live from Louisiana on the Gulf oil spill.  Questions remain over just how much oil is leaking into the water.  We'll talk it over with an expert.  Plus, a researcher says he has proof underwater oil plumes.  You'll also hear from actor Edward James Olmos, who's best know for roles in "Battlestar Gallactica" and "Stand and Deliver". But he's also a longtime activist and he's fired up about the oil spill.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Susan

Finally some talk about other (private companies) methods of collecting the oil besides the skimmers. I don't know why it has taken so long for everyone to discover that there are technologies to deal with this. No one seems to even realize that there are alternatives. Cut through the red tape. Let's get the show on the road. I would like to see a detailed discussion about this in a future show. Soon, please.

June 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Ricardo

Is it possible for a section of the gulf floor to collapse to fill the void created by the oil? Would such a collapse allow more oil to be released? Would a break in the gulf floor create a tsunami?

Why can’t BP release drawings of the well head to the public so inventors and problem solvers could help find a solution?

June 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Marsha

As Chairwomen of the Coastal Dune Lakes Advisory Board in Walton County Florida. I am ecstatic about the coverage just shown, informing people on what is going on to try to save these precious resources. I am also providing a forum for residents to attend, providing information about how one can help in this crisis that is effecting our County and many others.

June 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Hannah

@ ian hmmmmm were having the same thoughts here

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Darla

Private entities who are willing to help should do it and bill BP
    The environment is what is important. BP should not be running the show, but they should be paying for everything.

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

I'm glad to hear these stories from the survivors even though they are horrible. It humanizes this whole catastrophe. These are the everyday workers and 11 of them are dead with many other injuries. A very dangerous field to work in. Let's not forget them. They aren't the bad guys.

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone ever really say exactly what caused the explosion?

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Brian

Brian from Alabama says, "It seems that everyone in charge, whoever that is, it's like a deer in the headlights. I do not understand why you can not have capable people and functional supplies to attack this disaster. Someone please take charge of the situation before it is to late."

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Di Canada

Post Traumatic Stress greatly affects relationships with others, I hope that these men and their loved ones are getting some quality counseling.
    They need to be reassured that they are survivors not victims. There is a huge difference in ones ability to move on.
    Being a survivor gives you strength to get through it and they need strength.

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Betsy- Poultney, VT

My 12 year old son told me that he felt he should be down there doing something to help the animals in need. This is from a 12 year old.

Why is it that BP won't let civilians pick up birds and other wildlife and take them someplace they can be helped? Only their "professionals" can do this. Why is BP being allowed to run this whole process?

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Tammy

I know this was a terrible experience for these men but these survivors are the ones suing Transocean....there are as many as this that tell a different story....they are going to say what their lawyers tell them too...hoping to get a piece of the pie! I hate it for the ones who cant tell their story...

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Robin

Powerful words from Edward James. I too, voted for our president. I agree that he needs to step into a leadership role here, like an onsite foreman, get this situation under control. He needs to be physically there to delegate. He is an extremely intelligent man, but seems to have a problem with knowing how to take charge and delegate. Action. Action. Action.

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Laura

I am so thankful for Anderson Cooper and his live coverage night after night! He is the only person I have seen consistently report on this horrific story! We appreciate the attention that he is giving the Gulf Coast! Thank you!!

June 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jo Ann,
    Good point!!!!!!

Amber,
    Me too. I agree with Edward James Olmos also.

June 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  15. michael

Looks like BP still pumping in dispersant – make sure that oil can not be collected from surface and float under booms – this will be the dead sea all caused by BP

June 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Ron from PA

James Olmos says that he voted for President Obama but now he thinks that President Obama has "lost it". From hearing Mr. Olmos talk for 15 minutes, he sounded fairly conservative to me.

I'm tired of people on the air attempting to portray they are politically objective and purporting to have no political bias, telling mistruths about their political views and then criticizing the President. I believe Mr. Olmos is just another conservative criticizing Obama.

If you care so much about the ecosystem of the Gulf Coast, why didn't you protest against deep well offshore drilling several years ago? Where were you then?

June 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Emily

@Megan,
    "They don't want to be involved right now."

Yes, I figured that BP would not appear! ...they don't want a lot of things it appears, but we all know that they 'want their life back'...good to know!

June 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Beth DeNoma

Hello Anderson....would it be possible to solidify the oil that has escaped or is escaping from the pipe/vents, either by freezing it or by changing it to a nonliquid form – that would cause it to rise to the surface where it could be collected by a tanker? I'm thinking about the tarballs that are washing up on beaches.... a solid would be a lot easier to collect and would seem to have a lot less impact on plants and wildlife.

June 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Ian

Once all of the wildlife in the Gulf is dead or gone, then they can put in as many wells as they want. Then noone will complain about the wells. I feel that that is the plan by BP.

June 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Di Canada

It is like they’ve lost apart of themselves along with their friends and the jobs.

June 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Falguni Ved

Hi Anderson Cooper
    Devastation of Aquatic Wildlife. Thanks to all CNN Media Professional to cover the oil spill story for we the people. My Question is on Humaritarian Grounds and to protect the wild life can the Government Of US can work on the contract that BP has and prevent these species of auatic wild life from being extinct. Its to trouble some to see these wild birds and other quatic animals covered with greasy oil and uable to breath.

Falguni Ved

June 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Sue R. Canton Mi.

I continue to pray for the families of those who were cremated at sea and for the survivors who suffer every day and yet i'm sure there's a lot their not allowed to talk about. My heart goes out to them.

June 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. rebecca dittrich mercer pa

HI Anderson, My question is why can't the well be blown up so it would collapse in on itself? I'm not saying use nuclear bombs in our ocean waters but what about C4 ? Is it because of the START bill president Obama signed about one month or so before the explosion? and if so why can't that bill be veto'd? I really am trying to believe that we "america" are being puy in charge of this. BP should have been fired from the get go. Who the hell they think they are? And is it possible that this well could run dry? Thank you Rebecca from northwest Pa.

June 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Donna West

I feel for Destin City Manager Greg Kisela. He is fighting an uphill battle against the state, the Coast Guard and BP to try to protect his community and their economy.

June 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Shaily

How is it possible that they do not have a solid estimate yet of how much oil is leaking?

June 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Julius"dave" Kater

I t seemed that no one care about stopping the oilspill leak in gulf. Instead everyone are on the BP side in saving the oil. The simplest way to stop the lead is, to work with the coast guard forces, to drill from a save distant and tosave dept, and crossing with the oilpipe. Then lower explosive to it and detinate. The explotion will bury the leak and stop it instantly. Since it done underground it will be save
    like an underground nuclear testing in the desert.

June 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Is that all with Apples!

June 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Gail Duncan

Good to hear that many are not going to sit around and wait for BP/government to take action. Stand Down my a. Legal red tape, laws no longer can stop us from taking action.

June 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Erin

There are videos circulating on the internet (via YouTube, Facebook, etc.) that question the way in which oil booms are being deployed, ie. straight line booms, parallel to the shoreline, no catchbasins, etc. I'd like to know how acurate the criticism is?

June 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Elle

This is insane.
    Where is the love, the respect, the gratitude for our earth and its living creatures? Why aren't these things priority? Why do available solutions take so long to implement ... why are the solutions prevented when there are willing people and resources to begin healing this disaster right NOW. We're in a crisis. This is an emergency. Why does BP have so much control? Why are people afraid of BP? Why won't BP talk with Anderson?

Wonderful job Billy.
    Wonderful job Anderson.
    Bless those who are working NOW.

June 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. jan

so bp said they would help florida if the oil got to there shores, why do they have to wait until it get on the beaches before the clean it up. clean it before it goes ashore..now bp says they won't let what happen to louiisana coast happen to florida coast. now that just seems to me a lil favorism. why didn't they be so quick to take care of louisiana coast....

June 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Susan

And please, someone ask whether our government has already hired Haliburton to do the clean up – would anyone be surprised? They destroy and then rebuild everywhere else – please anticipate this time and ask the question – have they already contracted with them or one of their subsidiaries? (It's obvious they're not giving a green light to locals due to fear of liability – or maybe they're getting their "dead peasant" policies in order.)

June 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hey BP, come on AC360 and keep it honest! I am sure that Anderson will be charming!

Gloria,
    Agreed! 🙂 You got that right!!!!!! I like your comment.

Sree,
    Yes! Good point there!

June 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Ben R

I can't help wonder why everyone feels it's so important for the president to be present so often in the affected area where the oil spill has happened. He is not an oceanographer or engineer... what can he physically do to stop the oil spill.. It is BPs responsibility to manage and resolve this oil spill crisis. And any thought of having the feds take over this situation is a terrible idea because the cost will somehow be passed on to the tax payers of the U.S. and BP will not end up being the ones to pay for THEIR mistake.

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Di Canada

I hope they change that oil spill act it doesn’t seam very affective.

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Tina

Hi Anderson: Love your show up here in Canada and appreciate the objective and hard hitting tone it strives for. I'm watching 360 regularly during this disaster unfolding in the Gulf, and your coverage is most excellent. However! We are all aware that you have invited BP on the show and as aware that they are not appearing on the show! Please, please, could you repeat that less! Maybe you could run a ticker tape thingie across the screen with that info...Picture some of us repeating the words along with you now! Otherwise, great job mister!

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Erica-LA

Anderson, I hope you know just how much we appreciate all of your determined efforts and compassion you have you have given to the people of the Gulf Coast. Your devotion is reflected in your tireless reporting during the Haiti earthquake and Hurricane Katrina. You are a very good man. Your mom must be very proud of you.

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Hannah

I come from a long line of fishermen and oil field workers, both are being effected by this oil spill.
    how unfortunate that our whole way of life is in jeopardy. It's painful to know children will never get to experience the same wonders of nature i did as a child. There will be no waiting for your oyster be shucked by your dad at Christmas, no crawfish for good Friday, no more icechest of shrimp straight off the boat to sit around and bag for the freezer. gone are the days of catching fish, cleaning them then cooking them for dinner. oh how my heart aches for my culture, our traditions and our way of life.
    What a mess it will be to watch everything around us die. To watch my grandmothers front yard be covered in oil.
    * across the street from my grandmothers there's a drainage ditch that is directly connected to the bayou, when the tide is high or if it rains a little hard her yard floods, her tap water smells like the bayou water can you imagine what her place will be like covered in oil ? How are we supposed to stay in our homes ? They are taking everything away from us . We fear for how we will make it through this . We cant plant gardens for food ,our land is now contaminated. We cant fish , they poisoned our water. We cant hunt, our wildlife is dead. We cant afford to move, because we cant make money

only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.!!!!!

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Rk in Boulder, CO

I'm curious. Doesn't oil lump together? And, won't we be cleaning and recleaning the areas we've just cleaned? Why not wait to do it when there's more of it gathered in one spot, rather than picking up small quantities over and over and over again?

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Everybody is really to clean-up the oil to save the beaches!

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Sonia Howell

I love how Flordia is taking action on their own. That is being an American Citizan. We can't count on BP. We need to do all that we can for our precious lands. Penalize BP later

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Helen

I did not know the law required that the oil company to take the lead over the federal government. that law should be changed.

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Brian Quigley

I hear BP is a fault, rightfully so, from CNN. constantly. good story. but the govt again has done nothing. they are into everything else and it seems they are just waiting for the oil company to fail.

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Donna West

Great report Randy! My hubby and the company he works for is the contractor in Destin. did he know when you spoke to him that the Coast Guard made H2O stop working on the booms today?

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Ian

CEO will not be on 360, you can count on that. When the oil gets to Great Brittan– That is when he will act. This is not his country.

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
    • Tony Firth

Don't be ridiculous. It strikes me that it's the Coast Guard who are blocking the fishermen from helping with the clean up. And remember, this was a Transocean operated rig. That's right, an American company. And the cocrete work at the well head was carried out by Haliburton. That's right, another American company. Go figure.

June 7, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  46. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Oh another quick fact – compared to Exxon or Shell, BP has 12 times more complaints logged against them at OSHA

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  47. T. Shaw

Anderson, I may not be the brightest bulb in the fixture but surely someone on that drilling platform had some idea of the well pressure and the volume of oil that was being brought to the surface. I would think that this information would be critical to the drilling process.

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The opinions of celebrities means nothing. I want to hear from the "real" people of the Gulf. Those that are truly suffering from this catastrophe not some spoiled celebs looking for attention.

June 7, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Jendy Miller

FYI...I just did a Google search "gulf oil spill" and it did not take me to the BP website. BP website is highlighted in yellow, but Google lists page after page of other websites. Perhaps BP was listening after all.

June 7, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Robin

I agree 100% w/ you, Anderson. It looks like the same amount of oil is still coming out of the leak area when it first started, as it does today. Has anyone seen these tankers being removed daily??? According to BP they are siphoning off thousands of barrels. Why should we believe BP. I want to see these tankers of oil. Now.

June 7, 2010 at 10:35 pm |