June 4th, 2010

Video: Exclusive interview with survivors of Deepwater Horizon explosion

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

A CNN exclusive. CNN's Anderson Cooper has just interviewed a group of survivors from the sunken Deepwater Horizon oil rig. This is the first time a group of survivors has sat together in an interview and spoken publicly about what they went through. Their stories provide perhaps the most detailed account so far of what happened when the rig caught fire and exploded on April 20th.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Gulf Oil Spill
  1. Laique Rehman

This is a sad accident and hearts reach out to the families of the victims. But we should not have trial by the media of BP and both republican and democrat politicans try to outdo each other to criminalise this event. Accidents do happen and we should learn from it and make sure it does not happen again.

June 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  2. Mary Hinkl

Anderson,
    They have to be still so in shock. You can tell when you were interviewing them, that they were. I'm sure they are thinking about their coworkers who didn't survive and also get reminded every day with all the coverage of the spill.

So sad what is happening to the wildlife.. I hope the cap works and contains some of the oil.

I'll be in Destin, June 18th for a week and sure hope the beaches are still as pretty as I am told they are there.

Happy Belated Birthday.

June 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
  3. jack4555

Transparancy policy for hard working safety protection method

June 5, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  4. Edgar Espinosa

Hello Mr Anderson
    This morning I was watching CNN and I saw a demonstration of 2 gentlemen from Alabama, one of them with the last name Anderson and they were demonstrating a CO2 product that freezes the oil almost instantly; well it occurred to me if that product can be pumped as BP was pumping mud in trying to seal the oil leak, this CO2 product from those 2 gentlemen from Alabama can be used instead of mud; to seal the oil leak.

June 5, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  5. Angela Muto

BP = Big Polluter.

President Obama, has got to take control. This is the event that will destroy his chances of reelection and rightly so, if he does not take action.

June 5, 2010 at 2:31 am |
  6. Marilynn

Our Condolences and prayers go out to the families of the 11 men who were lost on that rig. I am appalled at the PR machine that keeps cranking out BP publicity while being completely "legal" regarding the families of the men who were on that rig who were killed and injured. I am sure that the survivors know some very important information that will help solve the crime against our coastline. Cutting corners and doing things that require dispensations from the MMS prove that they were completely outside of any safe operating procedure. Again, prayers and condolences to the survivors and families of those lost in the rig fire.

June 4, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  7. Kari

These gentlemen, as well as the men on the one of rigs that is drilling one of the relief wells, speak of the well as if it were a living entity. The men this morning stated the well had killed 11 and were concerned about dealing with it, so every thing they did was down with great consideration for safety, not for speed. This gave me a different respect for the well and its power.

Please convey to these gentlemen my sincere sympathy for the loss of their friends and co-workers. Let them know that our thoughts and prayers are with them.

June 4, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  8. abbigail309

It's about time.I was just saying to my boyfriend we have not heard from the GUYS on the rig itself.MY GOD how terrifying!!!
    Anderson "Coop" is not afraid to expose anything.
    So be it,someone or something must make the
    the "powers that be" understand how big this is and could potentially be....yes?????

June 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It was very much like the Titanic because BP claimed that Deepwater Horizon was so technologically advanced that it would never spill.

This looks like an interesting interview, but I have to wonder if these men were allowed to speak freely or if they remain under any confidentiality agreement with BP like the cleanup workers.

June 4, 2010 at 9:03 pm |