June 4th, 2010

Video: Birds drenched in oil

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Gulf Oil Spill
  1. pockets

This is absolutely gut wrenching and it is only the tip of what is going on. I am lost for words to describe how horrible all of this is to the wildlife. We have turned this planet into a sewer. It is tough to sit here and even comment.

June 3, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  2. Zebatar

This video of these two struggling birds is the one visual that I will remember most about this tragedy. I have watched a lot of coverage, but this footage really bothers me greatly. I think it is the best/worst representation of this horrible man-made catastrophe and should serve as the one representative video that everyone should see that cares. If you don't feel hurt and sorrow after watching this, then I never want to meet you.

June 3, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  3. Richard

This is beyond upsetting, when I see this I feel like something inside me just dyed.

June 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Uma in Liverpool

Happy Birthday, Anderson. May you bring us stories of more beauty, peace, and happiness, and far less tragedy, in your 44th year. Keep up the brilliant work. I stay up all night for your show.

June 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Angie C.

So upsetting and just heartbreaking for these innocent sea life.
    But not to make a lighter note .. Happy Birthday Anderson Cooper!

June 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Keri

I'm 22 and have been following this from the start. It is sick, I'm crying, it should have never happened and it makes me embarrassed to be a human right now. These poor animals are suffering because people are selfish and arrogant.

June 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Christina

my heart if broken. I haven't cried so hard in years and it hasn't stopped. That will be an image I will never ever forget. God I hope those birds get help and live and find an amazing place to live a happy life far far away from that nightmare. Speechless.

June 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Susan in Niagara Falls

God bless you Anderson. I am thinking about the animals constantly, the horror of it. Enraged and sad doesn't even begin to cover it. Please keep including the animals in your coverage!!!! Their pain is not just pain it is agony.

June 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Jay

We (myself included), the American Government, the American people, business big and small, have sold our souls to have our way of life. Now we will pay in every way for it.. Thanks to Anderson Cooper and CNN for their coverage of this sad event..

June 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  10. frances in ottawa canada

god bless youure uderstanding and god bless you r work

June 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  11. John Konecny

Send your contributions to International Bird Rescue Research; and your prayers to God.

June 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Emmie Kay

Just atrocious. Boycott BP!!!!

June 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  13. disgusted in fort collins

I feel completely sickened by the sight of these desperate birds and other dead wildlife. The suffering here is intolerable. This damage is far beyond anything that can be remedied quickly. I am heartbroken.

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Jill

Is anybody helping these poor creatures? What has become of them? Please let us know what we can do to help, where to send money.

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. ZoeAnn Yussman

As always AC brings it home and keeps them honest!!

How can I help?? Please send links for those of us who want to either come down and wash animals or send money!

Thanks Anderson for your "in their face" reporting!

June 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Carla Winterbottom

Thanks for the truth Anderson !

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Misha

I pray for these birds and other wildlife. BP's lack of responsibility and major delays have caused so much damage to the ecosystem in the Gulf. No amount of money can fix the damages that was done to these birds and other wildlife. I pray for these helpless animals. They are the most affected from the this oil spill. A responsible organization would have done all in their power and gotten help immediately from others to prevent further damages. More than a month of oil has polluted the Gulf.
    It's time for Washington to progress fast towards alternative energy. Clean energy will benefit us all.

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Kim

Anderson, The video of those 3 oiled birds you found earlier broke my heart. I have been in tears for hours now. I think I am going to go to bed tonight with that image engrained in my mind. Please keep us up to date on these birds and their progress back to rehabilitation. I pray that they live. I so want to help, but would like a reputable organization to donate to to help these birds and other wildlife effected by this spill. I live in Florida and its just a waiting game for the oil to reach the west coast. Thank you for all your hard work. Please gives us happy, nice video of clean up birds too so I can sleep at night.

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  19. steve

Anderson Copper,
    please do not let this story fade with the capping of this dome. the people of the gulf coast and those who enjoy the waters will forever be damaged.
    The animals lost will be decades in replacing, if anything or anyone living is ever replaceable.
    The board of BP should be less concerned with public opinion and more concerned about ensure that there children and grandchildren actual have a world to grow up in.

June 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  20. G

I read most of the comments, and I'm ashamed to say that i feel scared to even watch the video.
    Would be nice to know hoe to volunteer or send some money.

June 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  21. Natalie

Thank you, Anderson Cooper! It's difficult to see these images. I hope BP will turn on CNN and see this. How can they make this right? It's like a nuclear blast in our Gulf waters. Keep up the good work, Anderson. Don't let up on them for a minute!

June 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Steve

BP needs to hire people at $100 dollars an hour to start cleaning up these birds and coast lines and marshes. They need to equip them with the best supplies and safety equipment available. They should spare no expense. And they should be working at this 24/7. The people they hire should have health care and be put in the best hotels available.

But of course we all know that they aren't going to do that. I just heard that they are housing some of the workers in converted shipping containers. Disgusting!

June 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Gene H

Sitting here at work on my break I check the website to see what has been going on in the world today and am completly horrorified by the picture on the main page of the Oil drenched birds. It saddens me so much it makes me want to cry. These pictures should be spread throughout the world on every type of media, to let people know what BP has done. As I called for in my local paper editorial page, Boycott BP and hit them in the pockets like their negligence has hit our coastline and waterways of the gulf and where ever it will wash up next.

June 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  24. vicki

Just saw the opening of tonight's show. I'm incensed at BP's PR. Anderson's comments and the pictures of those poor birds and the question of how are they going to make it right were dead on. I'm just so heartbroken to see these animals fighting for their lives. Not understanding what has been done to them. And then to have the guy say he hopes to get HIS life back. How is he going to give the animals and the world its life back.

June 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Mark Icemaker

I have seen alot of stuff in my life but those birds suffocating in the oil really got to me. Hopefully the US Govt will go after BP and the clowns running it and nail them to the wall for this disaster.
    What a mess they have made.

June 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Yirgo

It so sad that you still see companies such as BP and others doing off-shore drilling – this is what makes me more sick.....

June 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  27. Cathy

Those poor birds....this is so sad...

June 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  28. Amy Kelly

Heartbreaking and sickening! Does anyone know of any groups that are trying to bathe and save these animals? If so, please post a group name or website for us. I'd like to send a donation of money or soap or WHATEVER.

Anderson, I'm glad you and your crew were there to show those animals. BP should be so ashamed.

June 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  29. rebecca dittrich mercer pa

This is one of the most disturbing things i have ever seen. My heart breaks for those poor creatures, I would love to help get them all rescued and washed up,is there a number for us caring americans to call? A volunteer line or some contact number? And Anderson you are awesome keep inviting BP to join you maybe they'll brave up eventually.

June 3, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
  30. Tanya

I truly feel sick after watching this.

June 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  31. Frederick Perron

I understand it must be shown but I couldn't bring myself to look at it, did rescue save these birds? I'll watch that video!

June 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  32. Prasad

How is BP going to compensate these poor birds drenched in oil? Anderson – Can you please ask the Doug/Tony from BP?

June 3, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  33. jerry

Sad to see many animals and fish dying from this BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico; no words can explain what we see concerning these creatures slowly dying with oil covering their entire bodies. Not enough action is being done by BP Oil; the U.S. governement should control the clean up and charge BP Oil for the work.

June 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm |
  34. Heather

Thank you, Anderson. Heart-wrenching as these videos are, people need to see them. Please keep it up! Americans have been slow to recognize this disaster for what it is, but eventually hopefully there will be the same kind of out-pouring of help that we saw for Katrina & Haiti.

June 3, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  35. Liz

I am heartbroken and really want to help the birds...I am willing to travel to the gulf,donate money,but I want to help and don't know how to help.
    Can someone tell me how I can help the birds, and if there is no fund,can we start one?

June 3, 2010 at 9:37 pm |
  36. Frank

This is the most disgusting display of greed I have ever seen. The ramification of the oil spill will be seen for decades. Does anyone realize the impact to the jobs lost, fishing devastated and the WILDLIFE lost... I have not used Exxon Gas since the Valdez disaster and now I will no longer buy BP gas....I did more that cry when I watched the video.... I felt another piece of America falls apart.. Wake up america.... Maos picture ill be in the white house, the gulf will be baren, ad the national langue will be spanish..This is jut another nail in the death of the USA and we sit by and do nothing,,,,,, How sad can things get...

June 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  37. Ann

Thank you so much for showing the public what is happening...it is horrible and yet, as people have already said, so important to show the suffering for people who may not think about the impact on wildlife. BP has murdered more than just 11 humans.

June 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  38. CJ

Yet there are hundreds of people waiting around waiting for the word to help, like the fishermen who are all out of work. I pray these birds were cleaned. Obama, time for talking is over, get the people out there, all they want is to help. Birds like this can be saved but we can't just wait to stumble upon them. The secrecy and politics of this oil spill are getting in the way saving wildlife and the clean up. How can the president sit at the whitehouse listening to Paul McCartney while this suffering is going on? How I ask?

June 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  39. Sheri

It is sad but true that our – America – love of oil is at the root of this disaster. We need to move (somehow) to clean energy and change the way we are so dependent on oil. I look at those birds, coated in deadly goo, and it has really gotten me to think, "what have we done?!" The birds and other species that are dying or suffering because of this spill didn't make the bad choices we did – and they are paying for it. I thank Anderson Cooper and CNN for all of the coverage of the Gulf Oil disaster. Keep them honest, Anderson! We need to know what is really going on.

June 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm |
  40. Oliver

This is so sickening. I have tears in my eyes right now. Everybody needs to see what's going on. I can't believe the majority of American's still support offshore drilling. It's amazing how stupid and greedy some people can be.

June 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm |
  41. Joanne

Tough video to watch but so necessary to see. Innocent creatures, our world as we know it, has been destroyed. My heart breaks for these birds and wildlife.....the fear in their eyes is haunting. What can be done now to save what is left of these beautiful birds? Thank you Anderson for bringing this to the world's attention.

June 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm |
  42. Melanie

I'm touched by everyone's comments. Another suggestion of what you can do to help in addition to watching your personal oil usage (riding your bike, growing a vegetable garden,) is to go get your hair cut at a salon that is participating in the hair for oil spills program. If you are a salon you can sign up for free at matteroftrust.org. The salon I work at in Tacoma, WA is participating. I'm having my bike tuned up and will start riding to work. These are simple things.

June 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  43. Dorota

Those criminals from BP should be thrown to jail.

June 3, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  44. terry

Who is at fault? BP or BP's customers? America's love of cheap oil brought this on. Accidents are inevitable. Its time to stop repeating our mistakes and search for alternative energies. None will be perfect but there must be something better that this.

June 3, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  45. kimberley richardson

This is a holocaust. This may sound stupid but can't the birds be captured en masse before they are oiled and relocated to somewhere safe like Georgia?

June 3, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
  46. Gina

Thanks for spending your birthday reporting on this.

June 3, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  47. Namita

Sickening and sad. I will never buy gas at BP again – EVER. And if we Americans have some humanity left in us – none of us will. The animals are suffering in silence and we the 'intelligent' ones are ashamed at the biggest oil spill ever.

June 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
  48. the WASP

Horrific and heart rendering....worst yet only the very tip of the iceberg.

June 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
  49. Lilibeth

Anderson, I have no words. This is just so wrong. Seeing birds and other helpless creatures damaged this way. Sorry but I had to stop the video halfway. My heart aches too much. I've been thinking about this oil spill, day and night. Please keep talking about this Anderson. It's never too much. I just hope everyone, whatever their political ideology, listens and listens hard.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

June 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
  50. Christine Schwamberger

Anderson:

It sickens my soul to see innocent animals suffering like this. Thank you for showing the suffering animals. I have sent money to an international bird rescue group because I can't be there to help the animals. Everyone, please send money to the International Bird Rescue Research Center to help these innocent victims.

June 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm |