June 4th, 2010

Video: Birds drenched in oil

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Gulf Oil Spill
  1. Zack

I am a Tampa/St Pete resident and while we await the impacts of this horrible monster in the gulf we already know that there are millions of stories like this one that we will not see. This video is just a small symbol of the current impacts hitting the fisheries and coastal environments. If this does not galvenize a movement to get us out of the gulf and seriously move toward renewables then we really do deserve to inherit the wind. Make significant changes now. It is time to commit to change with our without the support of government. This is beyond party or ideology. This is our ecosystem and as the stewards of such "we" really suck.

June 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
  2. Jane from Montreal

I am so sad and my heart aches for the wildlife.They do NOT DESERVE THIS.
    Keep up the wonderful work Mr. Cooper on reporting.

June 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  3. Judy

Even if this wildlife can be cleaned of the oil, what then? Where can they go, how will they survive? Won't they just become coated with that hellish stuff again? Mankind should be so ashamed of what it has done to this planet.

June 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  4. rose

Thanks Anderson for covering this I now its not easy for you or any other person covering this disaster.

June 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  5. Christy

How can I help? There is no information on volunteering to help rescue these birds! Can you post something for volunteering?

June 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  6. rose

I'm horrified and so ashamed of what were doing to nature, poor wild life.

June 3, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  7. trent chambers

Sad does not begin to describe this.

June 3, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
  8. Elle

Help.

How can we help... what can we do... please post links to
    resources where we can donate time, money, effort... anything.

Thank you Anderson Cooper... don't stop.

June 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  9. Samantha Rowley

Absolutely sad video to watch...Thank you Anderson for continuing to show us the realities this crisis is doing to the wildlife. No matter how disgusting this video is, every child in America needs to watch this in school and learn. I hope teachers are taking the time to discuss this tragedy. Perhaps some of the school children in Louisiana could help out by learning to clean the birds. I'm sure there are not enough workers to get to all the birds affected. They could supervise the youth in this endeavor.

June 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  10. Sharon

Hopefully these birds will make it, though I'm doubtful. They appear to be completely exhausted.

I would like to see the media cover a little more of the clean up efforts as well and the care of the birds that can be saved.

June 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  11. bob

It made me sick to think this video is just the beginning of what will probably be dozens of videos showing in graphic detail how humanity has betrayed its own home. Just sad beyond words right now. I see a people blessed with paradise, but unable to keep it.

June 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  12. Ron

As we are all indeed enraged, we need to raise up and demand legal action! The Citizens of the United States vs. British Petroleum.

June 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  13. MATT FROM CANADA

There is a boycott going right now with BP on facebook gaining momentum.. if you want to avenge the birds, then join.

June 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm |
  14. CST Solar - NM

Unreal. I can only hope this serves as a wake-up call for our society. Please pass this along to sear it into people's memories, lest we be distracted by the next absurd 'news' story about a celebrity breakup and go back to driving around in Hummers.

If this disaster doesn't serve as the pivotal moment in changing how we go about living our lives with zero forethought of the environmental consequences then we deserve what our inevitable fate will be. Poor animals didn't have a choice.

We do.

Well done AC.

June 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  15. Carla(Mississippi coast)

My heart weeps for the innocent life that is being destroyed. We are destroying what we were given to protect. Shame on all of us, most of all shame on BP for not planning for something like this to happen. The coast is going to be hurt for so long because of this.

June 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  16. Spish

Just Heartbreaking... Hoping for the best what else is there to say. We really have to make sure this does not repeat again...

June 3, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  17. r

I have no words only saddness to see what is becoming of our mother earth. God made this planet with all its beauty for ever human race to live in. My heart goes out to every living creation that God make that will suffer deeply and die. What is wrong with our goverment? God have Mercy on us.

June 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  18. motherofson

Mr. Cooper..Thank you for keeping up with this story. Please do not stop, till this is over.
    I have no words left to express how I feel about BP.
    My prayers go out to the people . For the birds, the fish. For all of us as this is so sad.
    This need not to have happened. Its time we got away from oil. Its time we find another way. Its time we wake up.

June 3, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  19. Texana

Heart-breaking sad. What is being done to save them? Are there rescue efforts?

June 3, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  20. Lisa

What is there left to say?? This is so sad and only the beginning of what's yet to come.

June 3, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  21. Rebecca Pounders

This is a shame and a disgrace. Who is going to speak for the poor, defenseless animals that are suffering?? It outrages me to see this, BP should have been prepared and ready for something like this.

June 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  22. Boycott BP

This is devastating and sickening. I pray that the oil does not affect the florida manatees. They need to shut down all the oil rigs. The environment and the animals are suffering and at the rate we are going, there isn't going to be anything left for future generations.

June 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  23. Sad

It makes me so sad to see these innocent and helpless animals drenched in oil. Something needs to be done to prevent this from happening EVER again.

June 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  24. GM

I cannont remember the last time I have seen something this sad.

June 3, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  25. Ernie

I expect a general effort is beeing made to rescue those animals drenched in oil. Also, the government should agressively support the people involved that save the animals with a maximum of monetary influx, so as to hire more expert help from across the country. Yes, it is a shame that it had to come to this....bless the animals....

June 3, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  26. Katy Texas

I am a 37 year old man, and I want to cry also....this is horrible...

June 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  27. Andrea

We have all played a part in this with our greed. Our highways are loaded with large gas guzzling vehicles. So sad when we have so many other alternatives than using oil. It's a natural resource that will only last so long anyway.

June 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  28. Stewart Anderson

Every time I put the nozzle in the truck that image will haunt me. I'll run out of gas before I go to a BP station ever again.

June 3, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  29. lee steedley

i almost cried when i saw the birds coated in oil on another network earlier tonight. if i lived closer, i would gladly volunteer to go and help clean these animals. i cannot believe a company as global an as large as bp cannot get this under control and did not have a better plan of action in case of something like this happening. it has always been when matter of when not if an oil spill would happen

June 3, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  30. Joe K.

Brutal. There is absolutely no way BP should ever recover from this if people paid attention. Amazes me that I drive by their stations and I see people still filling up. Not sure if I'm more saddened by the suffering of the wildlife or the idiocy of the American culture I live in.

June 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  31. Rhonda Readence

I am a 32 year old woman and I DID cry.

June 3, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  32. Adriana

I am crying now. This is soooo sickening! I have a beautiful green macaw parrot and I know birds are extremely intelligent and sensitive creatures - and this is just heartbreaking!

June 3, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  33. Linda from Florida

Thank you Anderson Coooper for showing us exactly what is happening in the Gulf. Keep showing the photos and reporting on the devastation. We need to see it and feel outrage. Maybe then we will demand that our leaders regulate these companies that put profits before people and the poor creatures being hurt and killed by this disaster.

June 3, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  34. E Lowe

AC: It is time to start washing the birds again with Dishwashing Liquid like they had to do in Alaska. This is such a heartbreak to see the poor birds made so immobile by this horrific event....

June 3, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  35. Spencer

I cried when I saw this. We are capable of such indirect evil as a species it's amazing. My heart goes out to these poor defensless animals.

June 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  36. D L Milhiser

To think that this could go on for months is beyond belief. The people who are responsible should be criminally charged. This will affect not only this generation but my children as well. We have become too greedy, taking for granted the beauty of our planet. An utter disgrace – shame on you BP!!!! I will never buy gasoline from your company again.

June 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  37. Steve

I think that the Bp ceo should lay down the oil to understand how the animals feel

June 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  38. trying2save

I am deeply distressed at seeing this video. Very upsetting to the point of revulsion. How irresponsible and reckless behavior by BP? They have caused irreparable damage to the thriving and healthy ecosystem of the gulf. Gulf coast will never be the same again at least not in the near future.

June 3, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  39. Deb

Anderson, you are my hero! Thank you for showing this. As ugly and offensive as it is, people must see the death and destruction from this living nightmare. Hopefully, the next generation (ours is far to greedy and spoiled to change) will be smart enough to stop raping mother earth.

June 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  40. Becky

This hurts to my soul. They are helpless and only we can help them.
    PLEASE help them. How many more have to suffer and die. Stop the oil from getting to more of them. Stop it.

June 3, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  41. ROFAP

The suffering of these innocent animals shatters my heart. We must stop drilling for oil and find safer, clean alternative energy. If we don't these disasters will happen over and over and loss of innocent lives will continue.

June 3, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  42. Laura

This video makes me cry.

June 3, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  43. nicole

this is soo bad

June 3, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  44. K

I cant even describe how sick this makes me

This is just disgusting

I cant describe how sick this makes me

We should all stop using oil and listen to this world first

June 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  45. Brian

My daughter first thought they were chocolate,
    when she realized they were alive she cried,
    so did i

June 3, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  46. Dean

SAD-Where is the Government at ? the one we pay 25% of our income to-quit pointing fingers and get this thing under controll and protect the wildlife and the people.....

June 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  47. BPSux

BP seriously has an advertisement on the left hand side of the screen. Everyone responsible in that company should go down with the oil rig.

June 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
  48. ib6ub9

Sad. It's a shame the Gulf coast's fishes, animals and birds will have to suffer because we're too lazy and convenience-obsessed to make the hard (and right) decisons for how to live as a society.

Do the right thing and transition into a lifestyle that uses less oil. Simple things can have a big impact. Start a garden, so you have fresh in-season vegetables and your salad isn't trucked in from California. Buy an electic bike or walk, so you can maintain a healthy body. And finally, support and embrace the fact that peak oil is coming. Learn to downsize because it is enevitiable. We need to do what we can as a society to prepare for a U.S. that uses less oil, and this is just another example of why we should embrace change and demand less oil.

June 3, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  49. Karen

This is criminal! People and wildlife and environment are devastated. When is the human race going to wake up and see what greed and selfishness are doing to the only planet we know?

June 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm |