June 4th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Cap & Still Oil Leaking

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/US/06/02/oil.spill.bp.apology/story.tony.hayward.afp.gi.jpg caption="BP CEO Tony Hayward apologized Wednesday for comments he made about wanting his life back." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

BP engineers have placed a cap on their leaky pipe a mile under the surface of the Gulf of Mexico. When you look at the underwater live video feed you may be wondering why it looks like oil still spewing from the damaged well. That's because BP says it's now working to close four vents in the cap where oil is still escaping.

Today during his third trip to Louisiana, President Obama said it's "way too early to be optimistic" about the effort. Officials should know if it's a success or failure in the next 24 to 48 hours, he said.

Meanwhile, the oil is heading farther east along the Florida panhandle. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said oil could be onshore in Destin by Saturday afternoon.

BP said today it's promising a second-round of $5,000 compensation payments for fishermen. But, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal is wondering why his state hasn't been paid yet for the dredging berms to protect marshes and barrier islands.

"Our people deserve to be fully compensated for their losses. Instead of BP shelling out $50 million on an ad campaign that promises to do good work in responding to this spill, BP should just focus on actually doing a good job and spend the $50 million on assistance to our people, our industries and our communities that are suffering as a result of this ongoing spill," Jindal said in a news release.

Pres. Obama also blasted BP for its $50 million PR offensive. We'll have that on the program for you.

You'll also hear from workers who survived the rig explosion 46 days ago. Don't miss Anderson exclusive interview.
The men share what happened to them on April 20th when 11 of their co-workers died in the blast.

We'll also have the latest comment from BP CEO Tony Hayward that shocked some today. A message about "sticks and stones."   Randi Kaye has an up close look at the man who's in charge of the BP and under fire.

Join us for the latest on the oil disaster starting at 10 p.m. ET on CNN. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Jane

It appears that, those responsible for this disaster, like so many other disasters that have come and gone, are so far removed from their own destruction that they "just don't get it."

June 7, 2010 at 6:51 am |
  2. Florida

Charles in AZ, I too am a native Floridian and agree with every word you said. I am currently in Seattle but plan on being back home in a few years. I can't believe the arrogance and apathy that spills from Tony Hayward's lips. He is a prime example of the detached, greed driven corporate world who thinks "the Gulf is big and this is a minor spill" mentality. He should be immersed in the oil he so recklessly spilled until it is permanently sealed off.

June 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  3. david

people us here in louisiana have endear alot.Iam from north louisiana ., I have a lot of freinds and kin in south louisiana. It hurts to watch the news to see whats happened to our gulf and marsh it will be past my lifetime before they clean it up. Was wondering why the government always looks past louisiana residents. If spill would have happened on east coast leak would be stopped and cleanup progessed futrther than we all are at now . Just remember katrina and other hurriance rita to know what i mean. Feel bad for vsurivors and missing but the real tradgedy is the good people that livein around marsh.

June 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Greg Fernandez

This is tragic either the government does not realize or they are not telling us the extend of damage. The more people i talk i notice how ill informed they are about it. I don't understand how the fine BP is facing is so small hundreds of millions of dollars when it is clearly looking more like billions of dollars of damage over a third of the gulf waters are now toxic and un-fishable, peoples careers have been destroyed/wiped out. Who knows what it has done to the economy in the states on the gulf. Congress needs to re-look at the slap on the wrist they are giving out to BP and forget about the special interest groups. The fine should include the total cost of clean up. Congress your fines are way to small for what was done to this country.

June 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  5. Rita Keays

Dear Caroline

I whole heartedly agree with you about the cruel and heartless part.
    However, this fiasco was NOT the fault of BP. It was a -most hateful and cruel entity that committed this crime. Until and how fast the
    authorities realize this, BP will remain the culprit and that is exactly
    what this warped entity (human) wants from BP. In a way this disaster could be likened to 9/11, and thankfully it was not the same type of damage – but having said that – I truly feel for the foul and wildlife that is being affected by this devistation and not to mention the fisherman's means of survival. I have tried time and time again to communicate what I know about who has committed this heinus
    crime – but I guess my voice is not big enough. The only thing left to
    hope for is that BP will ammend this disaster and clean up the mess they have made. One day the truth will be known and I hope that it is sooner than later for all our sakes.

June 6, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  6. Julie

Thank you for the great coverage of this latest oil disaster. Unfortunately, the oil is headed to Panama City Beach where I reside.

Question: Is anything being done to protect our beautiful white sand prior to the oil arrival?
    Can some of the sand be pushed back away from the shore until the clean up efforts are completed?

June 5, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  7. Nancy

I am no engineer, but I do wonder this: BP says now they have siphoned 250,000 gallons of oil from the new cap in the last 24 hours. Wouldn't it mean that more than 250,000 gallons is leaking per day since BP admits they are not getting all the oil siphoned?

June 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Scott Reese

Idea: Step 1: US Government freeze all BP domestic assets, work with the British government to freeze all global assets. Deploy all naval personnel, British and US and all BP contracted tankers to concentrate on nothing but skimming.

Step 2: With frozen BP assets, invite every college student in the US to spend a semester helping to clean the wetlands, the shore line and the animals. In exchange for the semester of service BP will pay for their entire college tuition.

Step 3: US to take control of all BP operations and use proceeds for alternative energy discoveries.

June 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Rich Renouf

AC staff needs to figure out how to monitor how much oil is actually going into BP's recovery tanker. BP is not to be trusted to come forth with the truth. In the process of quantifying the total amount entering the tanker be certain to separate any sea water that is mixed with the oil in the tanker.

June 5, 2010 at 8:41 pm |
  10. Micheal

If BP is a “person” now, according to the law. Than why do they get to profit off the oil from this well? It appears the do not want to stop the flow they want to produce it, well some of it anyway. Do the math, at the current production rate plus large Tax write offs due to the cost of this they will still make a killing. I bet the ads are a write off too!! They will make a profit off of killing our Mother. Mother Nature..

June 5, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  11. yaridanjo

BP's cap collected 6000 barrels of oil yesterday, and you can 'take that to the bank'. I mean, would they lie?

God obviously apporves of BP's and the USA's oil related actions (like the Iraq War), so now He is giving us 'FREE' oil.

This is 'Change You Can Believe In'!

June 5, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  12. Phil Witzel

Thank you for all of your great reporting, but why was there no action plan for oil spills around America’s coast? They should have had built protective outlands many years ago to protect against spills and hurricanes too. There never has been any care shown by our government to protect Americans and our land, we need a long term plan for the future of this country. This would be a real project that some political group should get behind, and put pressure on Washington D.C.

June 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  13. Lon Jerome

Mr. Cooper you are one of the last truly honest reports and I thank you for that. I hear a lot of people asking why BP is still using the dispersant they have been, but no answers so far. I would guess that BP bought a lot of it before it was outlawed in Europe and figures to "unload it" on us. Keep up the great work!

Lon Jerome
    Ocean Springs, MS

June 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  14. Frank Bednar

We enjoy watching your program. On the oil leak. Why can't BP close the leak just like the oilwell firefighters did in Kuwait. So they are down 5000 ft.,the ROV's should be sensitive enough and strong enough to take the bolts off of the flange and bolt one of the valves like they used in Kuwait. Turn the valve off and Bingo, the oil flow stops! If BP says that can't be done at 5000 ft. I will assume they are either lying or consider that they think they are to smart and that they have no common sense.

June 5, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  15. Daniel Hanequand

Thank you kindly Anderson for your good heart,soul,and true professionalism...now I have a chilly thought...I have the impression that BP is not really interested to stop the flow...but interested to scoop all what they can get and salvage for their own interest......and forget about America's lovely Southern States...if so...it's criminal....

June 5, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  16. Jim

If what I heard this morning is correct the well is spewing 19-25,000 barrels a day the maximum they can recover with the cap is 15,000 barrels a day = 4,000- 10,000 barrels a day still leaking into the gulf in best case scenario- The Oil on the beaches is being gathered & taken to a dump???? Why not take it to a processing center ???

June 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  17. Jeff Taber

Please Put the question out there to BP, ALLEN , OBAMA.. Are you trying trying to stop the spill or save the well??? None of you reporters have asked that yet Why???? Ask them why they cant pinch the pipe off below the blow out preventer??? I know the answer, that would destroy the well.. I work on busted feed lines from water mains all the time, Thats what we do!! pinch it off till we are ready to fix it.. This is steel pipe I know for a fact it can bee done!!

June 5, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  18. Belinda

Thanks to Anderson Cooper for presenting the facts. Happy Belated birthday!

June 5, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  19. Robin

I agree it is WAY too early for optimism....I'm no math wizard, but...

*BP cuts this pipe and creates a 20% increase in the oil flow.

*The cap then gets placed, capturing only 10% of the oil

.....hhhhmmmm....increased it by 20% and capturing 10%...

HOW ABOUT 10% WORSE!!! And WORSE for the 3rd day now!!!???

Yeah, not feeling the "progress". My heart is breaking more each day for the devastation the people of the Gulf region have to endure, and for the suffering of the innocent wildlife.

June 5, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  20. caroline

Thank you AC for all that your do. You have a bigger heart than all of BP combined. BP is utterly heartless and cruel – they do not care about the devastation to the lives and environment that their greed and recklessness has caused. They are incapable of comprehending what they done. If they were comprehending it; their reaction would surely be different.

June 4, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Anna

This is so difficult to watch as the catastrophe deepens even though I am a long way away in Canada....I was on the Florida gulf coast for the first time this past April...the beaches are so pristine and the wildlife so abundant...it just hurts to think about what their fate might be...shame on you BP for cutting corners and destroying such a beautiful part of our world. And I can't help but think that the federal gov't response has been naive and minimal at best...I think we all feel so helpless

June 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Charles: Mesa, Az

Tony Hayward, wants his life back??!!; I want my ocean,seagulls and beaches back. I'm from Florida, and plan to move back in a few years. Will I be going back to the Florida I remember or a wastland. They say it can take 5 to 10 years for the environment to recover; that's a long time. Tony Hayward will be back in England, in the comfy of his home by then, long gone and forgotten, while I look at a dead ocean, praying for it to return to the way I remember it... I fear it may never look the same in my lifetime, that really makes me angry.

June 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |