June 3rd, 2010

Attempt to Cap Oil Spill Underway: Join the Live Chat

Right now, underwater robots are trying to attach the cap to the damaged well 5,000 feet below the surface of the Gulf. We'll have the breaking news developments tonight on 360°

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. C.Langan

35,000,000 gal of oil = 833,333 barrels of oil x $75 a barrel of oil equals an astonishing $62,500,000 of oil in 45 days, BP would of gathered
    what kind of royalties does BP pay to the US for the oil they sell back to us?

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Josh

the cap is in place with a valve on top that is open but oil still remains to come out from under the cap because there is not a tight seal yet. the brass colored valve is what you see the oil shooting out of at the moment

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Michael Armstrong Sr.

The people of Louisiana might as well move B.P. has killed the ocean and the land for at least a hundred years .

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Kelly Armstrong

Receivership against BP for sure. The U.S, Military should seize BP Headquarters and all of there bank accounts and assets and that Mr. Bean look-a-like Tony Hayword should be placed in prison immediately and should end up like Saddam with a rope around his neck. Dang and I'm a friendly Canadian, imagine how pissed I would be if I was a U.S. Citizen

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  5. TJ

Pompous corporations with money to do damage control while they buy political influence and treat the rest of us with disdain.Itks revolting. TJ

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Rick

First – Happy Birthday Mr. Cooper. Second – To everyone, if you focus on the travesty to the wild life and our home, you will just kick yourself into an emotional frenzy and possibly stress yourself out. Just pray, hope, whatever you decide to do, that BP succeeds. Because if they don't... well I'll let you fill that in. Get upset after the well has been capped. But right now... pray.

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Marti

Has anyone asked the question as to why we are allowing BP to continue to try to "save" this particular well? It seems to me that it would be better to destroy the well. I have heard that this IS possible and would stop the damge from continuing.

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Betsy- Poultney, VT

So so sad to see those animals suffering. My heart breaks for them. Maybe we should cover the CEO of BP in oil and see how long he will last. Then maybe he'll stop wasting money on ads and start using it to clean up the gulf.

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

I would like to know what I'm looking at in this live feed. I hope with all my heart the cap works.

Yes, a narrative of what is happening on this video would be very helpful, Anderson. That is a good pt. If they can't do it live, they should do it as soon as they can. Would be good to have some orientation and sense of how the flow of oil is being affected.

Btw Happy Birthday Anderson.

June 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Richard

This looks like a lot more than 12,000 – 19,000 barrels leaking per day – this flow rate looks astonishing. Much higher than prior video footage of the leak...

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Rob

I give the government an "F". They have failed to step in and take over BP'S operation 5,000 ft below. I do not see any improvement at all, what are they waiting for? All they have to do is step in and assist, I thought the more the merrier. Even if the government stepped in now it's already too late, the damage has been done. 20% more oil is now leaking into the Gulf. I just don't understand what the hold up is?? Very sad... I bet the rest of the world is laughing because we can't properly respond and react to such a disaster like this. Makes you wonder who's calling the shots...

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Elizabeth

I hope Obama is ready to pay a lot of unemployment. I would think the President of the United States could come up with a better plan. How about inspecting each rig; if a safety violation is found, shut that rig down until the problem is fixed. Do not shut down all the rigs!!

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Rajiev

I think BP learnt from this Administration not to be transparent.

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. gale

Ok, thank you for staying in the Gulf Anderson and taking on big oil and government, to shed light on this awful awful tragedy. Of course, I knew eventually, I would see oil soaked birds and death and destruction of wildlife and ecosystems. However, the reality of this is truly heartwrenching. What's worse is that the images left me with the feeling that these animals are being left to suffer and die an agonizing death.
    Yes, BP is a foreign company that has soiled our shores, but with our consent in a way folks, because we are addicted to cheap oil and fossil fuels at any cost. Yes, BP is responsible, but we as a nation are also to blame for our dependence. Our government is responsible for not doing enough to research, develop and implement clean energy initiatives. WE are all responsible for this terrible tragedy folks!! WE must find a better way to exist on earth than to alter everything in our path to find and consume ever dwindling supplies of oil!!

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Kate - Canada

@sybil
    as of now the main problems are going to be about food. Also the natural cracking is causing the crude oil to turn into a gas that is toxic to inhale.

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@Emily, I know! It would work more efficiently than hair and as we can all see the birds have no way of removing it themselves.This whole catastrophe is tragic.I hope BP realizes that they will be funding this cleanup for a long time.Maybe they won't cut corners in the future.

June 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is so sad to see those birds cover in oil like that! It brings tears to my eyes!

June 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. tony matarese

the cap is on but oil is flowing out the bottom. looks like relief valves have been opened to relief some of the the preasure

June 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Sonia Howell

You tell them Doug. That land was a gift to us from our for-fathers. We are suposed to protect that land.

June 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Karen, MN

It is so sad to see the wildlife suffering.

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think BP is an anomaly. The other oil companies probably take many of the same chances and cut corners on safety in order to pump up that bottom line. I think they all should be investigated and carefully monitored when they are drilling on our shores.

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Ofelia Manship

We must demand more transparency. There was no disclosure on the composition of dispersants. What else does the oil industry know that we don't? We must demand safety audits on all oil companies.

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Kevin Hoey

If we have robots that can shear the pipe, why can't we pinch it shut? I understand the pressure would be immense but it would be a better shot than all these outlandish ideas by BP!

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Paul Karatzas

Big UPs to AC! You rock. Tell it like it is AC. I hope it does not take all night to put a cap on it for a temporary reason.
    It is very odd that BP does not give you real time information. Very sad about the animals.

June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Warren

Surely there are volunteers who would clean up for free. Look what church groups did in Nashville. I don't understand why more volunteers aren't allowed to clean up. Is it just everyone is afraid of being sued or wants money?

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Tonja

It makes me physically sick to see the effects of this disaster. I really had no idea the oil companies had no backup plan for accidents like this. The wildlife and ecosystems are in severe danger here as well as the people who make their living from the ocean. It is obvious BP and many politicians not directly involved don't want the public to know the truth. Thanks to you, Anderson, James, Dave and politicans within Louisiana for keeping the real story in the public eye. not only does BP need to work on this "leak" but they also need to make a major effort on cleaning up the mess this has made for the shores, wildlife, and fishermen this has affected.

Thanks again for keeping them honest,
    Tonja

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. sybil

I live in New Orleans and want to know if anybody knows the effects of the oil and the dispersants on humans? I am concerned about the health and well-being of my family and friends and am afraid that this issue won't become a MAJOR concern until it is too late.

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Michael Armstrong Sr.

This company is worth billions of dollars lets hurt these people with billion dollar fines a million dollars is chicken feed to them .

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Emily

@Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana,
    "This is ridicules that BP is paying 50 million dollars on spin."

That figure is dizzying! This is just another example of where their priorities are! (how sad...)

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Kate - Canada

The problem is Chapter 11 in NAFTA. You cannot say no to multinational corporations. They abuse their power and do not care about the people or the environment!

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Anna

Why do we not use MPU? Micro Polyurethane? Its a oil sorbent it absorbs oil before it immulsifies.. non hazardous. can be used on animals. 2 mil lbs can absorb 25000 barrels of oil.

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Renee T.

Anderson, great pr advice for BP. If only you were their CEO, perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess. The minute this occurred why didn't the CEO and the Prez demand that action be taken? Thanks for your incredible journalism, as a tv producer myself, I deeply respect how hard you work to tell us the truth.

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Joanne

I am in Cornwall, Ontario.... Canada. I love the States, its people and their cultures. I have been following this ALL along. Please stop calling this the "worst environmental catastrophe in U.S. history". This is the worst environmental catastrophe in world history. We all know it. The word "sad" doesn't cut it.

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Michele Anderson

Anderson,

One more thing, would you let the people in the Gulf states the citizens of New York are praying for them? And if there is anything the rest of this country can do to help, including boycotting BP, Put it on the air, if its one thing we know how to deal with its a disaster.

June 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Felipe

We burn the quantity many oil spills daily just by living our way of life. We are all somewhat guilty of this. We all have Oil on our hands. We have no respect for our planet. We need new energy a.s.a.p!

June 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Well I understand the anguish against BP – But we should all equally blame the regulators, MMS, EPA and other federal organizations that created the rules.

The government pushed the oil companies into deep waters – did not set a lot of mandates or redundancies – neither were audits!

As much as BP needs to be blamed, the fed organizations are to be blamed as well...i havent seen a word that federal organizations are working with other wells and their safety measures

June 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Sonia Howell

Fingers crossed, This will hold the magority but , We still face alot of dangers.

June 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Mark Reno Nevada

I am an animal lover like millions of Americans. I was wondering where all of the water (oil and soap) goes after cleaning the animals. Hopefully it does not go to a reclaimed water facility. Can you find out for me thanks.

June 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Judith

I can't stand the pictures of the oil all over the birds gasping for air, is anyone even attempting to take these birds somewhere to help them at all? It just seems as though photos are being taken and then they are left there to die!!

June 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. NMercado, Ph.D.

This is so horrible! It makes me feel physically ill. What an injustice to our environment and to people... Humanity is really going the way of another extinction...our own.

June 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Michael

The horrible devastation to the wildlife is awful, but the worst thing will be
    the devastation to the American families when fuel prices go back up to $4.00 a gallon. If BP wants to get a better image take some of the 34 million the plan to spend on advertising and help us with fuel cost.
    We are going to be the ones to pay to clean up this mess. No mater who cleans it up.Government Taxes or higher fuel prices. That is the real tragedy.

June 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. JoAnn (NYC)

Happy birthday, Anderson! (my birthday is tomorrow). The sight of those poor birds is heartbreaking. I wonder if this spill occurred off the coast of England if the response by BP would be different. All the ads in the world will not return the wetlands and the ecosystem to its previous state. It's unbelievable that BP would even think about PR ads at this time. BP, stop the gusher, clean up your mess, and take care of the animals and people who's lives and livelihoods you've severely disrupted.

June 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Kate - Canada

I feel for Obama. He's had to deal with so many things in such a short time.

June 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Michael

To the BP CEO – how dare you spend $50 million dollars to encourage us to trust you while people are suffering and animals dying. You are an embarassment to the wonderful British people. Your body language says it all – you have no idea what you are doing and just stabbing in the dark hoping something works....

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Mei - Arizona

I don't understand why the campaign with TV adds and new lobbyists?? If BP wants to "make it right" show it by their actions NOT their pocket book. Which in my opinion is going to the wrong place. The money should be going to the fishermen who have lost their livehood, or in an effort to clean up. Terrible pictures of those poor birds!!! Thanks for your continued coverage. Hope you had a Happy Birthday, Anderson.

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Diane Berube Canada

We need to make changes to ensure that there are no repeats to this disaster.

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  47. eileen

our ecosystems are in havoc....while capping the leak is an iminent problem, it is OUT OF OUR CONTROL.....BUT we need to now rely on american ingenuity and come up with innovative ways to block the oil from damaging our shores and plant and animal life... ONE IDEA: can we use shredded paper(readily available) in mesh socks to absorb some oil befor it lands on our shores?

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Laura Hernry

Why arent they using MPU to clean up the oil. Thoses poor animals. BP needs to shell out for clean up instead of advertising.

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Rod, Tulsa, OK

You just mentioned the PR attempt by BP and the $50 million cost. Can you find out who the lobbyists are that BP hired and track which congressional figures they have contacted. Maybe publicizing the names will cause them to hesitate momentarily and forget about how they can take advantage of this tragedy.

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Barry

Why doesn't BP place a sleeve over the cut away riser pipe so the cap can be placed on an even pipe?

June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |