June 2nd, 2010
  1. Aimee Carney

I believe you are the only honest journalist. Keep on going.

June 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Tgozzie

How can ANYTHING be CLEANED UP? The oil is still coming, and wiping off blades of grass is NOT going to stop it. The only argument here is why didn't BP have a releif rig ready for such an event. many people I talk to think that it will eventually run out ( the oil leak). It will NOT run out but we will have a Gulf of Oil. After this is over I hope we learn a lesson, reprimand the guilty and change our way of thinking about fuel.

June 2, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Christine Skebba

Thank you Anderson Cooper for exposing the devastation to the marshes in Louisiana. I am just heart sick over this disaster. I have family in Baton Rouge and have toured the swamps. Besides the destruction to the environment and wildlife it is going to cause horrendous effects to those whose lives depend on the seafood, tourism and other industries in these areas.

This toxic mess and no end in sight to the leak is unbelievable. Keep the pressure on BP. I hope and pray that all necessary measures will be taken to end this leak, clean up the mess, and bring some accountability to those responsible.

June 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Tarri

I'm glad you're there! Stay. Continue doing what you do best – reporting on the real issues. This is too much like the way Bush handled Katrina – disastrous for the people of Louisiana and demoralizing for all Americans. We don't need oil enough to destroy the environment any further for it. Change has to happen.

I realize that 1 in 5 jobs in that area is related to oil but we need to be realistic – oil is going away, the same as our old growth forests. Let's not lose everything in the process. There are alternatives to oil if we would think. Keep asking hard questions, keep challenging government, keep us THINKING. We count on you to do that.

June 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  5. caryn

Anderson, thanks for showing us the real story. I want to know why the White House hasn't kicked BP out and asked the best minds in the country for suggestions. Why can't NASA engineers come up with a solution? They deal with pressure and think outside the box. BP has been given to many chances, they obviously don't know what they're doing. Are we going to wait until the Gulf of Mexico is completely dead before something is done? As it is, it's going to take decades for the gulf to come back. Some species will never come back.

June 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  6. barbara

I may be missing something, but I don't understand by the State and Local governments don't take action. The Gov and Ward Pres seems to know how to clean up the marsh and where to get the equipment, but use some obfuscated reason for avoiding it. Could AC press that question with them?

June 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Alyson

Anderson,

I hope that after the "hype" over the BP disaster does not go away after they find a "fix" for this disaster. I was born and raised in South Florida and absolutely love seafood as do many other people here. This brings to question the people who make their livlihoods fishing in the Gulf, not to mention the economic impact. Please, please, please keep this on your top story list because this disaster impacts EVERYONE, not just the people previously mentioned. I think that this disaster CLEARLY points out the fact that we need to find more environmentally sound ways of obtaining energy in the future.

June 2, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Carolyn Fugate

Why can't the parish officials just vacuum the oil up themselves? Do they have to have BP's permission?

June 2, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Glad you are continuing to cover this and are down there to show us exactly what is happening and not happening. The wetlands and marshes will continue to fill back up with oil until the oil spillage is stopped and all the oil already released removed from the Gulf waters if that is even possible. I've heard people say that the Gulf might need to be renamed to the Dead Sea – I hope not; its one of our country's treasures and we probably have no idea of how this disaster will spill out to other America's many miles from the Gulf.

The gas companies have always presented offshore drilling as being virutally risk free – just like the Titanic was virtually unsinkable and we know what happened there. We should remember that when the gas lobby starts back up on getting more permits.

June 2, 2010 at 9:58 pm |