June 2nd, 2010

Oil Nearing Florida Panhandle: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Anderson is reporting live from the Gulf. The oil spill is now just 10 miles off the coast of Florida and the effort to stop the leak hit a new problem today. He'll have the latest and tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on our covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maureen

Seems that getting respirators to workers is something that can be done. Is there a way to find vendors and set up for donations? It should not be dependent on BP or govt decision. We know from 9.11 that breathing in junk while working a disaster always has long term bad effects for the workers.

June 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Gretchen, New Orleans, LA

The main reason the state can't just jump in with both feet is because Bp is in charge of not only capping the well but the clean up as well. They have control of this despite what Obama says. The parishes may be able to start something but don;t have the funds to keep it going and thats why they need the assistance from teh feds and BP. we wold love to jump in with both feet and get this – you know what – out of our coastline

June 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Judith Krauss

There is a company in WPB, FL who has an environmentally safe powder which soaks up oil which can then be separated from the powder so the powder can be used again. WPTV in WPB did a live demo at the beginning of May with representatives of the Coast Guard present (and they were impressed) and a sample was sent to BP on May 5th and still nothing. This would be a perfect choice for the marshes! Can't someone get in touch with WPTV (the NBC affiliate here) and get the name of the company and call them and just get the product? I live in Delray Beach and we're next.

June 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I wish Anderson would talk to some of the people taking care of the oiled animals."

Have you seen how they are removing the oil off of those animals? (birds, etc)

June 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  5. john maness

thank you anderson for caring. i have one question where are the enviromental animal activist groups? I have not heard about anyone from those groups speakout on this matter. Maybe they could put pressure on the government and bp.

June 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Diane Berube Canada

BP is unlikely to pay unless they feel that there is no choice. As it stands, what is the worst that can happen to them if they don’t pay?

June 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Madeline, Gulf Shores

Love you show Anderson. Thanks for getting the real truth shown. How are we going to survive this if things can't be fixed until August.

June 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Food poisoning? Does BP think we are idiots? Of course those workers would have some health issues after inhaling that oil and those toxins.

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Jason - North Carolina

Why are the people so scared of BP?? I'm not scared of them, I would love to come down there and be a spokesperson on behalf of all the poor workers that are forced to work for BP.

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. becky

This makes my heart sick. Why can't the government send military personal in and pay for the clean up now and make BP pay back. This needs to be done now. The govenment sends money for other disaster all over the world. The govmt need to quit talking about who did what for now, We just need to get it cleaned up and stop what we can before it's too late. The longer we wait the worse the nation will be in years to come.

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

It's so sad that the poor people who have lost their livelihoods because of BP now have to work for them in order to have some money coming in. Then of course they can't talk about anything. It adds insult to injury for these people.

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  12. jerome Sanchez

Wy do we not give the ppl that are looking for work a job! There is plenty of work to be done on our coast line. Have the government paying the salary's and present the bill to BP. we will fix 2 problems for a wile. Jobs and a cleaner Gulf.

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  13. lisal -canada

acy's story is interesting – sounds important

i wonder how much oxygen that goo is sucking out of the water ... or people's bodies – can it even BE replaced ??

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Christine Michals

Oh please...now this gulf destruction is causing sickness? Precautions! Precautions! Precautions!....What is wrong with these companies? It is a precaution to protect your team(s) while cleaning up!!!! Really....this is an emabarrassment when there are so many smart hard working people who have solutions....I am sickened.

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Charlotte

They should shut BP down until they get this clean up done.

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nice see Dr. Sanjay Gupta join with Anderson tonight, He have good point there. I also agree with Dr.Gupta.

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Karen- Massachusetts

What is going on here? (or not going on). A special task force needs to mobilize and organize the cleanup...now! . There is no organization. It is amazing that Anderson Cooper gets on the tube night after night screaming "help" and no one is listening. Clearly our government is not doing enough. It is time to step up to the plate and start cleaning these fragile wetlands.

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Rob G.

BP = Big Procrastinator

This is a fine example of how ethics and business are always at odds with each other. BP's executives are very clearly demonstrating how little concern they have for our invaluable natural resources. Regardless of their true intentions, BP missed a fine opportunity to unbridle their resources and pursue this disaster in the most positive manner.

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Samantha Rowley

Gretchen, your right...Anderson has stayed on top of this story with day-to-day updates. The other news outfits mention those updates but I haven't seen any other anchor get down to the gulf like Anderson has to report "live".

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Rose From Muscoy, Calif

Mr. Howard is just a month piece for BP, that's all. Why should we believe them anymore!

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I raised this question last night as well – what will happen when the burnt oil so far, and from heat converts to vapor and mixes with water vapor and then a storm rolls in?

Will that rain later in the months to come still carry traces of oil? Will it make the oil come much inland?

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Bill-TN

Hi all, This is so sad. I have alot of experience fixing things that most say can't be fixed. I knew how to contain this spill 2 weeks ago and even now! It just goes to show you they do not care about anything except for the oil. I can say it will be harder to contain with the riser pipe cut off rather than it left on. I wish I could explain to someone how simple this can be achieved. If they are not listening to scientists, I'm sure they wouldn't listen to me. It's really very simple and I think they want you to believe it's rocket science or similar!!

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Jeff

I think all of us need to start e-mailing our local congress person and tell them how we feel, you don't have to live there to know that we are all bleeding to death here, and if we can't find someone to stop it, then we need to rethink just who we have in office.

June 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  24. joanne

does BP think they just procrastinate with no consequences on this oil clean up? They should be totally fined large sums of money for every day they do nothing about building burms all over the gulf including Louisianna, Alabama, and Florida in addition to Louisianna. Who runs this Country anyhow BP? I saw temporary workmen using small cloths to wipe off oil from the marshes, what is that going to do? They need large fines for every day they don't release monies to build burms and I feel we need burms all over the gulf where our wetlands and coasts are at risk.

June 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Kate - Canada

This doesn't just affect the US. If one part of the world's ecosystem is thrown out of balance the entire world will be. No one can know the global consequences of this!

June 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Kim

I live in SW Florida and I just heard today that the oil will hit the panhandle by weeks end and I am just sick about this. Why can't they just plug the stupid hole. The oil campanies have no business drilling 5000 feet underwater on U.S. soil with no contingency plan for this kind of disaster. Its heartbreaking.

June 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Andy Canada

Oil companies spill a tiny percentage of the oil they produce and consumers spill the rest into the environment. When you gas up your car and then drive away from the gas station you are immediately starting to spill it into the atmosphere. Fortunately for you the exhaust mixes well with the environment so the media and folks in general hardly notice. Don't get me wrong the spill is a disaster but us travel addicts are just as bad or worse. Maybe to be fair we should mention this too,

June 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Victoria Missouri

where can I send respirators to. can't they buy their own? Have a rock and roll aid.

June 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Sue Seidlinger

Anderson, I've come to depend on you for forthcoming info when others are more interested in saving their skins by stonewalling. This is a case in point. Can someone tell me who were the sub-contractors responsible for building this rig and setting this pipeline?These subs are big guns in their own right and should be taking responsibility along with the disgusting, irresponsible BP. I want to know all the players so I can vilify them on behalf of all the Gulf Coast families.

June 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Sandy

Tony Hayward ...... He says " he wants his life back " what about those who's livelyhood was taken away because of the oil spill ".
    Tony isnt worried about people's health , just his profit . He not concern about people in the southern coast , just himself , self centered person .

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Janice Ocala Florida

What happen to the microbes that eats oil? Are they safe to release in the marsh to help clean up?

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Emily

Why are the workers not allowed to talk to the press?

Is that contract that they signed 'legal'?

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Brent

Has anyone mentioned to Tony Hayward that there are eleven oil rig workers who "would like their lives back"????? What an idiot he is.

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Marie

BP is an immoral company. Why are we waiting for them to do something? We need to take command. It's our country. Anderson, thanks for the great job that you are doing. I'd also say that James Carville is doing a great job too. Bless the animals and people of the gulf.

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Rusty

Time for the Feds to start rounding up BP execs for criminal negligence, freeze BP assets and use them to have other oil industry companies respond to the emergency.

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Kenneth Wing

This whole gulf oil mess is just awfull. I see those every day people like I and it sickens me. Our government and BP have simply failed...again!

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  37. mark bates

Another threat I believe the oil slick being a dark blanket that will heat the gulf waters and product stronger storms please ask your experts if this is a real theat

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Gretchen, New Orleans, LA

Unfortunately Wayne, they are not allowing volunteers to come and clean up. on WWL Radio a caller went down over the holiday weekend and was told to leave or he would be arrested. This was in Grand Isle, LA

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Giselle

What can we, the normal every day New Orleanian, do about this? How can we help? Sitting and watching TV is killing us. What can we do???

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Elizabeth-Kingston, Ontario

We are having a situation here where on the east coast they are looking to drill and the government looking at this situation has expressed to our news agencies, how can we afford not to do this? It seems like they will not learn and I can't imagine not letting my children run their toes in the same sand that I did when I went to the States when in high school. I am an x-ray technologist and when there was developing old fashioned films and not the same air filters like there is now or digital technology, those "older" technologists have dark room disease or increased chemical sensitivity and respiratory problems to date if exposed to smoke, perfume, oil etc.... Food poisoning my butt, step up like they did on 911 and afford them the same protection for those workers who stepped up to protect others in the face of a disaster.

June 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Jim White

Anderson, watching the Gulf crisis.

Does the government not realise how serious this crisis is

I know my friends here in Ireland are feeling the pain of the folks in the Gulf.

Please tell us how we ordinary people can help, it is frustrating to see very little being done.

Can we donate money or come and help?
    It seems to me whenever there is a crisis in the world USA is first with aid. Surely we can help the US on this occasion.

Appreciate if you could say something on the air, as there are alot of people wanting to help

Thanks
    Jim

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  42. David Carroll Jr

I am from Baton Rouge and some of my fondest memories as a child were the times spent fishing, crabbing, and spending time with my father who is now dead. When I see Billy Nungesser with tears in his eyes, heart broken at what he is witnessing, I feel his pain and shed tears because of what has already happened to our precious state and for the devastation to come.

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  43. jeremy

terry you are rightthe law sholdmake theme clean it up now.

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Tracy Brown - Canada

It seems to me that it's important to try to get ahead of the curve. Realistically, if a marsh is dead, it's not the priority anymore, even though it does still need to be cleaned up. What needs to happen is as much pro-active things to save and prevent oil from washing up elsewhere. As for Florida, for example, are they doing stuff "now" to protect their shorelines?

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Lynda Witz in New Mexico

BP lacked the competence to safeguard against the oil spill. And yet there's an expectation they will have magically gained the competence to fix the problem? It defies logic and common sense!

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Victoria Missouri

Oh my heart is just sick.

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Rose From Muscoy, Calif

Tony Howard just don't want their company to be sued, just all. What else are they going to say, admitt it?

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Emily

I hope that Anderson & the rest of the 360 Team are looking after their health down there, around all that oil...

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Kathryn PlymMtg PA

Good job, Sanjay, it is comforting to see you again, and hear your observations.

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Vickie

Food Poisoning????? – You have GOT to be kidding! What a clown!

June 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm |