June 1st, 2010

Where are the Oil Cleanup Crews?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we're keeping them honest along the Gulf coast. Last week, Pres. Obama promised to triple the oil cleanup crews. So, where is that manpower? Wait to you see what Gary Tuchman discovered today. Plus, all the day's developments on the spill.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lynette

"I want my life back"! you must be kidding. He made this personal, and personal it is. He has been inconvenienced. Peoples' lives have been destroyed – for generations to come. And he is worried about getting his life back? This is offensive and speaks volumes about BP and their greed. They will never get it. Sad, but true. I am disgusted.

June 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Ginger Holt

So many comments....as a resident of the gulf coast...thank you all for caring about us. Please keep us close with your concern...this will effect us all as Americans...what hurts one hurts all...

June 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  3. tom t, atx

I'm a 40 y.o. man who has shed more tears over this mess than is probably natural. I feel for the people of LA, the animals and the whole gulf. I worry what could happen to my beaches 3hrs away from me. I have supported this president from the beginning of his term, and although I know it isn't his demeanor, but I want to see him step up to the podium and cuss someone out. Get mad. I am. His whole thing hurts my heart and soul

June 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Bob Gordon

My oil is boiling inside my body about this.

June 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. mary, WA

I have been surprised there are not more volunteer efforts being accepted, or are they just not being offered? It is all of our problem, and will be for a long time. Why aren't fishing boats that aren't able to do their normal job now being used in the clean up ?

June 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Betty

Before the oil spill, Louisiana was losing wetlands at a rate of one football field every 38 minutes. How much more of our coast do you think we will now lose 40+ days into the spill?? Here's the question: how would our President and our government react if this were happening on the New England, California or Florida coast??? Yet, Louisiana continues to wait, now four days after the President came and say he would do whatever it takes, to help us; we wait - why should we have to wait ??? We have a local talk-show radio host, Garland Robinette, asking the question - "last time I checked, Louisiana was still a state in the United States - it sure doesn't seem like it ." No, it sure doesn't!!!

June 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  7. steve dockeray

1)If B.P. were to seal up the well would they ever be allowed to reopen the well ie: Do they have a conflict of interest ?

2) Now that they have a large hole at the top of the B.O.P. , could they pump concrete directly into the large hole in the top of the B.O.P. ?

steve dockeray
    milner bc
    canada

June 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Lori

I an wondering if there is a way to erect a very large under water reservoir as a secondary temporary containment and then pump from that?

June 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

As a synposis – BP had a large cap built, which failed. Started working on a smaller cap to divert oil. Started working on junk shot for a week. Then moved onto topkill. Stopped topkill and used junkshot without letting people know. Then said topkill could be working, then said "no its not"

We can all figure that the corporation has the capacity to do all these in a week if they wanted to – they just chose not to and tried to and are still trying to salvage for any profits

June 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Terry ( Ontario Canada)

Hi to everyone. I cannot believe that the govt. has not done anything about this horrible disaster sooner. As if the south has not been through enough with Katrina and the promises from the Bush Govt. Now they are very much in danger of losing many business', jobs and perhaps more human lives not to mention the amount of very valuable wildlife to the Whole World. Sure hope somebody steps up to the plate soon and helps. BP is definately off my list..

June 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

August! No, we can't wait that long. We will give them the end of this week!

June 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Marilyn

People keep saying "BP is making money off of oil". Does anyone realize what the US Government is making from those oil wells??

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Vickey Maples

Spike Lee has our back. I think his plan to bring Gen Honore back for this disaster is the appropriate response. Why would it take a film maker to come up with the answer and not our God Awful politicians?

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. April Allemand

The paper trail yes there were emails in March and it was stated the rig was not safe that there were problems. In March. Man this angers me more you know why only 11 were killed? Because they started evacuating before the actual explosion, there were warning signs..

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Tracy Brown

BP is a partner in this. They absolutely have to be because it's only the oil companies that have the know how to cap this. It's sort of like how we were all partners with Stalin in WWII. You might not like each other but you're in it together. Obama has done the right thing to treat the oil company with dignity and respect... he has to. He has no choice in the matter.

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Nicole The Netherlands

Has anyone seen Spike Lee's two part documentary on Katrina?!
    Realy have to see it, this man is involved with wat he is doing...!

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Joe

As far as the clean up goes, BP appears to be in a state of shock. Someone else needs to take over and contain it at the source.

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  18. michelle

Is that fire coming from the pipe they are trying
    to saw. There seems to be a bright orange glow.

June 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Diana

I can't believe the audacity of Tony Hayward to state he "wants his life back." What about the 11 lives that were lost? You think they would want their lives back? We can only hope the Justice Department throws the book at him. And how about President Obama? He wants BP to report back to him in 6 months? Ditch the feds – I agree – bring in the National Guard.

June 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The response for this has been much worse than Katrina. We are at day 40 and still no real federal presence. Katrina took a week and everyone said that was horrible.

June 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Larry Boland

On the live feed you can see the flange below the riser and I know that when there is a fire they blow the fire out, dismantel the pipe at the riser and lower an open valve over the flange bolt it down and then shut it off. I know they could do this with the RV's probably in a day, and stop the flow, why do they go on and on. I lay you odds they do not want to shut it in with all the money spent to drill it the loss of a rig and all the time.

June 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Tom O'Sullivan

We let BP drill in deep water and they screwed it up big time. As a result, we are letting them drill two more wells in the same location.

They have no indication they know what they are doing with the current well. What information do we have that they will not screw up the next two? If they do, then what?

June 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Lori

In my humble opinion, this is situation where charisma will not help and that is why I think the response is delayed and unfocused.

June 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  24. April Allemand

Why is there such a slow response? Watch what happens when it gets to Florida.

June 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Marty Rajandran

President Obama: we urge you to revisit the Gulf sooner than later. Don't act like George Bush....smile, talk, walk a bit....This is not good enough.
    We and the people of the area need to see you really looking at what is happening. Don't go down in history like Bush.....We like you. Yes, you can spend more time there with the people!!!

June 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Tracy Brown

Also, Katie, the bleak thing is that one of the last times this happened... an oil rig going down, was in Mexico, and they took a whole Year to cap the well. This was in 1979 or 1980.

June 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Samantha Rowley

Way to go Spike! He will do a thorough job documenting this disaster.

June 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Lois Palm

Hello Everyone hope you had a wonderful holiday..
    I guess I must be missing something if the President shout and scream show rage as some people want will it stop the leak will it clean up shores or will it look like one of those make me feel good speeches..I would much rather the President deploy resources that can help out the situation much more and stick it too BP
    In the pockets where it hurt the most..
    People can say what they want but most people believe in their heart of hearts that the President is sincere in his concern over this whole disaster he does have compassion for people

June 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Barbara

Thank you so much, Anderson for your impressive, ongoing coverage of this oil spill disaster. I speak as a lifelong Louisiana resident who is seeing a way of life disappearing before my very saddened eyes. Louisiana natives are so closely connected to our waters be they fresh or salt, coastal or inland. Please continue to keep them honest i.e. the government and BP. I also wonder where the large tankers are that are supposedly able to suction great volumes of oil. We need a much more massive effort involving ships and workers. Also why has this area not declared a national disaster area? Thanks again and keep up your most meaningful work.

June 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  30. diane menzies

i haven't heard anyone comment on this. is bp trying to save the well to keep making profit or shouldn't they be trying to save the gulf . can't they just blow up the damn hole and stop the flow and start over. idk if that's possible but i haven't heard any comments what so ever as to that possibility .

June 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Gretchen

@Joey of mississippi,Amjericans don't take a back seat to anyone.
    Remember Millions of americans and people around the world donated to the crisis in Haiti.So maybe millions of americans instead of sitting back waiting for the feds to rush in,maybe we can donate our time and energy to the people of the Gulf,stop complaining and do something.

June 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Chris

I'm probably the biggest supporter of Prez Obama but he has to keep to his word especially a crisis like this.

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  33. debbie

Anderson, Where has James Carville gone? Did President Obama or the DNC take him away to an undisclosed location? We need his out-spoken behavior now more than ever! Billy can't take on BP by himself.
    Thank you for your continued interest and coverage of this horrible disaster.

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Howard

I don't understand why BP can't stop the oil leak. It appears that they are more concerned about drilling the relief wells so that they will still be able to get the oil from the relief wells, but the damaged well will still be leaking. Instead of trying to cut off the riser pipe why not crimp it shut. Try to get the blow out preventer working or something. It is hard to believe with all our technology we can't come up with a way to stop that oil leak. For Christ sake we sent poeple to the moon. If all else fails, use explosives. There is 13,000 feet of ground between the sea floor and the oil. This leak is going to be world wide if it can't be stopped and it will effect alot more people than it is now. All the talk about criminal charges, I'm sure someone will become an escape goat but the oil will still be leaking.

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Tracy Brown

Katie – You can't just get rid of BP. They have the knowledge and ability to cap the well. (Sort of) Basically, right from the start, the only real solution was to do relief wells but that takes months and months. All other attempts are just a shot in the dark, not done before. Other oil companies, including American ones, don't have any more know how than BP.

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  36. sandra janney

I was taught the purpose of the Federal Government was to protect the citizens of our country from threats, be it a terrorist attack, threat of a swine flu invasion, or a pending black disaster heading for our cost line. Why can our service men go to Haiti to distribute food, but cannot help dig barriers, or clean oil off the shores of our Homeland

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Diane Berube Canada

If it takes a presidential visit to get clean up crews on site, can he go back for an extended stay?

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Sue R. Canton Mi.

With this being the worst environmental catastrophe in our country and the effect that its going to also have on the food chain,,,whats going to happen if there is a hurricane and these dispersants are washed ashore and in the air?

June 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Robert Thompson

There are no restrictions on what BP does with the crude oil from the Gulf. They can transport it, refine it and sell it wherever they like.

so they pay a lease fee? This is insane! I don't think most Americans realize BP is not obligated to sell this oil to the US, to US! There would be an uprising. Why isn't this being talked about?

This is OUR oil, stop selling it to BP.

June 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Penny

Been watching the show and now see that the American people are being lied to. We need more help. This really scares me.

June 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hi Spike!

June 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Daniel, Canada

@ Lisa, I am not supporting bp, not at all. But I will say that the accident was not intentional but could be blamed on human error and poor judgement on the part of several people- MMS, BP officials. At this point, I think we should intensify our effort and voices to get them to contain the leak, clean up the oil, remediate the marshland and compensate the victims.

June 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Nicole The Netherlands

Hi Everyone, late in international was on Japan.
    Carlo, they is almost (no free) press, heard nothing about Israeli soldiers getting killed while they attacked this flotilla in international waters..
    At this moment some of the people held captive by Israel are being released due to international pressure.... Turkey is very angry, the onley allie Israel had in the Middle East
    and Helen, if it is news in the us, it doesn't mean the US has to solve it...But the US is involved because of there military in the regio, as Turkey for example
    YES Spike Good Thing you have him Anderson!

June 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Nancy in Oregon

JoAnn, for me the man-made tragedies are much worse than the natural ones, awful as those are. Man-made either intentionally, recklessly, or inadvertently...there is just something more tragic about those somehow. So much more complex, it seems to me. This is not the first catastrophe, as we know, or the last...And in some ways, we all participate in bringing some of them about. We are all greedy in some way, all wearing blinders as long as something keeps working in our favor, too busy with other things, etc. On one level, I blame us all....we've all contributed to the culture that BP has served.

June 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Jovey Lee

Why aren't there supertankers out there vacuuming up the oil? That idea seems like a no-brainer. Meanwhile BP keeps trying to throw spaghetti against the wall hoping something sticks!

June 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Len

Mr. Brinkley is normally great. I always enjoying seeing him on the show, but he is out of date. Admiral Allen is no longer Commandant of the Coast Guard – he retired last week. Please inform Mr. Brinkley of this so he doesn’t keep embarrassing himself with his misinformed comments.

June 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  47. April Allemand

What worries me is that the relief well will not be complete until August which is well into hurricane season, and I really believe we are in for a bad season, I have good instincts about this. We need help here and we need it nowwwwww....

June 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  48. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@ Mike – They did find army/military related supplies but there was no ammunition or weapons found – or at least, there was none that was reported as dangerous

June 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Last night I was shocked and digusted what Isreal attacked by other allies on the boat, I think that was very poor behavior I have seen, That is outraged and unacceptable their behavior!

June 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Pablo

Though the clean up is worth it, will the heath of the workers now in jeperdey?

June 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |