June 1st, 2010

Where are the Oil Cleanup Crews?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we're keeping them honest along the Gulf coast. Last week, Pres. Obama promised to triple the oil cleanup crews. So, where is that manpower? Wait to you see what Gary Tuchman discovered today. Plus, all the day's developments on the spill.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Henrik

BP must release all schematics and clear details regarding the current status of equipment and pipes. We have a planet full of gifted engineers, some of which WILL have a solution to this. We need more transparency in order to allow a global effort to prevent a global disaster.

June 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Muriel Everton

Isn't the downplay of the amount of oil being spilled because of the fines which are based on the amount?

June 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Frank

Anderson, to create the sea floor to surface 'oil curtain' they could just use a large diameter pipe. The alaskan pipe line uses a lot of pipe, so quantity should not be an issue as you only need a mile of it. Fit it over the BOP and have it all the way up to the surface.

So what do you think, is this Plan C?

Keep up the great work, and dont abandon the big easy!

June 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Jasmine

@ Alicia: the solute idea is interesting, but like you said, it's toxic. If they were to find the strongest solute that could dissolve it, how could they determine the effects on the animals? Would there be away to find a solute to dissolve it, but still prevent additional harm to the organisms within that ecosystem? I'm not downing the idea, I'm just trying to think of ways it could be utilize safely.

June 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  5. April Allemand

If there are a dozen things you need to do to stop that leak do it. Why one thing at a time? Why can't BP use Kevin Costner's machine?

June 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  6. DG

I don't understand how BP has been given so much control to dictate what can and cannot be done with the oil spill. This is a foreign corporation dictating what we can do with OUR country. The Obama administration needs to get a back bone and stand up to BP... and do something about this oil spill before its to late.

June 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  7. ann

let's be real , big oil has replaced big tobacco, they are powerful and global, they pull all the strings, it is apparent things are not adding up...where is our government..oh I know the same place they were during Katrina.

8. lisal -canada

wow. not much to say except that these companies and agencies sure know how to structure things to find the loopholes and beat the system.

it would be interesting if it wasn't so tragic.

9. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@ Carla,

As much as I know no israeli soldiers were killed in this incident...i believe at a point of threshold they just opened fire randomly and did throw some concussion grenades

10. David

We have to stop bickering and find solutions without BP and stop this leak either with a funnel to the surface or maybe even a giant screw into the leak, I don't know but we have to do something to find a solution for this very sticky mess we got ourselves into, and why wasn't the relief wells being drilled when the original well was being drilled? Good luck Anderson Cooper Your my hero

11. craig schumacher

we have landed on mars for god's sake.we can't plug a hole underwater?dallas

12. Randal Juneau

One more thing. Thank You Pres. Billy Nungesser for all you have done for our parish and all you still try to accomplish despite the bull you have to put up with. I'm not a voter but if or when you run, I sure will make sure you get my vote.

13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

How many weapons were found mixed with the relief supplies?

14. Helen

I hope we get Osama bin laden next.

15. Maudie- Clinton,MD

I think the Military if still fighting two wars and as it is we need more people in the military, watching the shores agains attacks the military is spead out. What response do people want from the President? No one has said a thing about Congress continuing to support big business like BP! Or even Wall Streets control. Please do we need all these quarterbacks and no players? Everyone has a subjection of a soluntion but no action, just complaining.

16. Jace

The federal government has been delaying the permits for constructing the sand berms in Louisiana. Therefore, they will share some of the responsibility.

17. Joe

BP appears to be in a state of shock. Someone needs to take over the clean up and start containing it at the source. This isn't their forte.

18. Sharon Hastings

Here is the only thing I know for sure. Anderson Cooper and CNN are the absolute best in reporting on this spill from every angle and with much more information from all involved. Keep it up!!!! You are performing an extremely important role in this tragedy because people (including our President) are listening to you and it keeps the urgency of all of this in the forefront.

19. Samantha Rowley

April, is it just the fumes that making the workers sick or the toxic dispersants? Probably a combination of the two. Sad to hear some have been hospitalized.

20. Nick R

I can understand "accidents will happen" but when the CEO of the company responsible for the what will most likely be the worst disaster in human history says "I want my life back"... really? I want Mr. Hayworth on the beach with a sponge cleaning up his fortune. I know i will be out there when the oil comes to Florida. This will be a global disaster before its all said and done.

June 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Kirk D.

I'm frustrated and I don't live in Louisiana or anywhere on the Gulf Coast. We all need to start doing something. Write/ call/email politicians/ Boycott BP. Something! Nussenger keep up the pressure. They have your hands tie in this fist fight but I know you won't give up.

June 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  22. katie

Why doesn't the gov't revoke BP's permit to operate on fed waters and take over? Expel all their operations in the gulf until this is over.

June 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Ginger Holt

I live in Mobile, AL. This will make Katrina look like such a non event. What will happen to us....a city of some size with a population of hundreds of thousands of people who live on the water. How will we breathe the air? What will we do? Will BP buy my house? Pay me for the business I have that may just fold? It is very, very interesting that the Mobile Press Register reported Sunday that BP has paid over two million for a building in town. They must be planning on being here a long, long time....

June 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Sam, TX

How do we know oil was not leaking before the fire? How do we know the fire was not a huge cover up? We want the truth about what happened, not that the CEO's feels bad becuse he can't have any quiet time.

June 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Folks on the ship from turkey assault Israel soldiers. Israel is and always have been after those kind of ships – they want to know whats on there – they dont want to see weapons go to hamas

But why would any one want to mess with a country's army? knowing very well that the ship could be sank altogether

June 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  26. carla

how many isreali soldiers died....

June 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Helen

Can Isarel take of their own business? we have an oil spill, unemployment, swine flu....I am tired of being baby sitter to another country when we need help at home\.

June 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Lori

Captain R looks very young.

June 1, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Gwen Ball

Can BP simply plug the hole? I worry they may be trying to stop the leak without risking the loss of profitability of that site.

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Elle

This catastrophe is overwhelming. So many people throughout America would like to take action to help... where can information to learn how to do so be found? Along with our prayers, how can individuals who don't live near the Gulf, or in Louisiana help?

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Matthew Ahearn

Why should there be any litigation about who is at fault? Isn't there enough environmental law precedence to make BP strictly liable for this mess?

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Victoria

Since BP can't seem to get it right maybe we could start a blog on suggestions on what to do , i say they build a big tube even if it is a mile long and some how get it over the area the the oil is coming out and it will go to the top of the tube and they can pump it out and onto a barge and seperate the water from it if there is any, also I didn't hear what happened to Kevin Costners pump, thanks vicky

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Robert Thompson

Gre,
    But the whole point of drilling was that we need this oil. This fact isn't being told to the American people, I say put it up to a vote!

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Heath

BP Chief Tony Hayward will be placing the blame on a rogue ROV next. The guy who was just interviewed by AC is right, the BP Board needs to remove Hayward from his position.

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Denny

Are you kidding me?? Obama and the government are talking about criminal proceedings and the gulf is drowning in oil??? The hell with the blame game, let's concentrate on the cleanup!

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  36. liz

What I don't understand is why there is supposedly manpower, boats with pumps, and more bouys to hold back the spill and nothing is getting done about the major problem which is the oil spill, except who can they blame it on! If this was the BP company or any of it's executives/CEO's having an issue with survival you can bet your bottom dollar somebody's head would roll if a solution wasn't found ASAP.

June 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Victoria Allen

cleanup is not the issue. Prevention of this oil coming into the marshes is the most important. The barrier islands are what has to happen. without those forget it. you go billy

June 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  38. April Allemand

Seafood as we know it now , the Gulf ,our marshes, our fisherman and their families, our coastline from here to Florida is forever changed.
    Yes I say boycott BP

June 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Diane Berube Canada

I pray that before we allow for more ‘technological advances’ that we carefully weigh the outcomes. The cost for this offshore disaster will likely haunt us forever.

June 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Marquis

No matter what our Commander in Chief does some will not be satisfied. Hypocrisy is in the very media that is controlled by big Business.

June 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Tony

With 10% unemployment in our country, there should be no shortage of workers cleaning up this oil. We should take some of that wasteful government spending and put it to better use. This is a national emergency and if there was ever a good use for government funds, this is it. We could create jobs and clean up the gulf, if only we had the political courage to do it!

June 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Lisa

Clean up? Why would they care to clean up something that was done on purpose. The Serpent Project.....all the sheep out here aren't stupid

June 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Steve Pangburn

People getting a check from the GOV un-employed to clean up. Obama did not act on this soon enough. If he can"t Lead Get some one in there that can do the JOB if he can not lead Carville can I like that Guy

June 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sree,
    Yes!! You are right! Good point there.

June 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Lynette

I am sick to my stomach. I live in the Pacific Northwest. So really, I could be as ignorant as that BP Executive because, after all, this does not affect me or my family directly. Can't believe that he said "I want my life back". All about him. All about oil. Really, all about his (potential) loss of bonus. What about the thousands of lives he has destroyed? People who will never get their lives back. Can't tell you how offended I feel on behalf of mankind, our children and generations to come! And how sad I am that greed has come to this.

June 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Tracy Brown

Oil spills in Nigeria happen every year, each one the equivalent of the Exxon Valdez in size. The Exxon Valdez spill was the 34th largest spill in history.

June 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Jasmine

The oil has already reached the AL coastline. Does BP realize that it's in the process of destroying an entire ecosystem that is critical to everyone and everything on this Earth?

June 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Jill Onweller

Of course it should be criminal. They knew they had problems. Those poor family members. My heart goes out to them. BP needs to pack up and go home.

June 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Sharon Hastings. Plenty of 'emoting' is going on already. I don't think that 'emoting' and slamming, banging, throwing, cussing, shrieking, name-calling, threatening adds one iota to a solution...it just polarizes everyone, probably raises a lot of blood pressures higher than they should be raised, and might even be delaying solutions.

June 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Evie Katz - New York City

The images of what British Petroleum is inflicting - perhaps irreversibly - upon the residents and natural wonders of our Gulf Coast certainly warrant the Justice Department investigations announced today. But the time has also come for drivers across this country to refrain from buying BP gasoline thus sending a clear message to this irresponsible company that its business is no longer welcome in the United States.

June 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |