May 27th, 2010

AC360 on the Gulf Coast: Join the Live Chat

Anderson is on the water, up close, along miles of marshland soaked in oil. The question is where are the clean-up crews? We're keeping them honest.

Want to know more about our live coverage from the Gulf? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Richard Joshnson, yes it's true. Pressure at sea level is 14 PSI. At 5000 feet it's 2200 psi, roughly 160 times. The rule of thumb is 44 psi for every 100 feet of depth.

May 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Miriam

Let's remember to pray for the families of the fallen. They died trying to fulfill our spoiled addiction to oil. So, as far as I'm concerned, they died on the field of battle trying to protect our way of life.

May 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Or, Chad, the way the questions were asked.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Mike Garrett

You would think that a country like our great United States, the country that put a man on the moon, could come up with a way to stop this oli leak. Come on....why can't the federal government put out a challange for someone to come up with an idea....we have the greatest minds in the world. lets get it together folks !!!

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Sharon

Did I hear right. They stopped the plugging of the oil well for the past 16 Hrs. and did not inform anyone. Say What? It did not work and they were afraid to fess up to it. Oh, please, someone who is capable take over and fix this.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Diane Berube Canada

It is a huge day tomorrow. It would be, no doubt, difficult to listen to advisors when he is there in person.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  7. carol

Thank you for going to Louisana. It seems since you went down there things are starting to happen. I couldn't believe every night watching the news, night after night and nothing was happening except the oil landing and birds soaked with oil. I felt like the government wasn't interested. Wasn't on their agenda.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  8. christina moon

hello im watching cnn at this very momnent and every time i watch about the oil spill it gets me very angry all the ideas BP has doesnt work at all. i am a student at marriottsridge highschool and we did a lab on a mini oil spill, while i was doing the lab i had an idea.i think that they sould suck up the oil in a vaccum like thing and take it to the lab and then seperate the water adn oil. it will not clog up the leak but it might take off the top layer.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Mike in Savannah,GA

If BP was forced to quit selling oil until they fix this problem what would change?

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Kristi

Please stop trying to politicize this tragedy. This is a catastrophe that is going to cross generations. Politicizing just takes our attention away from the real problems at hand and turns it into a soapy poli-drama. Everyone needs to work together to fix it, clean it up and keep it from ever happening again.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Nicole The Netherlands

spend a few hours searching the web for news about the gush (!) lot of people think the BP video is a loop and heard about fisherman doing clean-up who got sick. It realy is an catastrophy..

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Lisa

Obama didn't cause this horrible accident. These things have happened before he was ever in office! BP and other drilling companies should have tougher rules about their drilling practices.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@David Indiana

Yes, it is a relief that the equipment is arriving where Mayor Blly is.

However, i have become so cynical, i believe that the equipment is there because Pres Obama will be there tomorrow.

I think there will be a big "show" for the President that things have been getting done. I hope he has a chance to spend several hours with Mayor Billie and the locals.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Michael Gioia

Why the information lag on topkill? BP is 10% institutionally owned. Chance for institutions to reduce their exposure while retail short sellers cover their short positions as odds appear to have improved (only to worsen again after the market closed thursday).

May 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Chad Leischner

I think Anderson scared BP and Robert Dudley with his inquiry into the use of the dispersant Corexit made by Nalco. Is someone from Nalco on BP's board? They might be afraid of that question Anderson.

May 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  16. sboyd

BP needs to give money NOW to help the people. Pay the people to clean up the mess since they can't do their own work.

May 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Kate

What is the "mud" composed of and is it potentially harmful?

May 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Trina in Canada

First time seeing CNN's live BP oil spill cam. I am beyond sick by what I see, at a loss for words really....

May 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Sue R. Canton Mi.

Good evening.

I listened to President Obama today. Although I'm glad he finally came forward and talked to the American people ,,,I didn't hear anything that sounded reassuring. The thought of how bad the hurricane season could be this year is to much for many people to even think about.

May 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Kenya

Eager to see what Mr. President will say tomorrow when he's down there. I wasn't very convinced today.

May 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Martina

I hear there is another leak. Anderson ask them about a second leak 5 miles from there.

May 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  22. joeinalabama

Hope we do not get a hurricane on the gulf coast this summer

May 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Cathy

Hi Anderson and Everyone else:
    Do you get the feeling from all that has taken place today that no one knows what is going on? For weeks we have heard that BP is in charge; now today we are hearing the Federal Government is in charge. Hello, Mr. Obama, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Now who has credibility issues???

May 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Audie

hi anderson,now we will hear all the usual excuses and none of the real answers to your and our questions like bush like obama.it is just the way our elected officials treat us all.democrats and republicans.

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Victor Gilbert

A solution to Help struggling fishermen, clean up shore line is set up a collection station where anyone (not just connected government contractors) can deposit oil and have BP pay $5 per gallon/pound or some small amount and let the people on the coast being affected get the money and let it cost BP. We get helped and BP is taught a lesson they understand .... money! Gulf coast life long resident Victor Gilbert.

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Renee

I am just SO happy this was not a terrorist attack. We are NOT ready!

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

starr and Nicole, I have a sneaking feeling that something very ugly with North Korea or something like that is running simultaneously.

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

All along many participants on AC360, and the blog here have been screaming at their top saying that the spill is more than what is being quoted...19,000 gallons a day?

I guess we will have a dead ocean to deal with for years to come...

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  29. john ortiz

this is sick .we need to clean the oil up. before all the sea life dies. this can go farther then Florida. it could go up to New York. it could be a global spread.i`m in Florida and i hope we can fix this!

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Nicole, the Netherlands, there has been coverage of President Obama attending Democratic fund raisers in CA and meeting with the NCAA basketball winners. Looks like we know his priorities.

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  31. lisa

I think there's quite a bit more to the story than is being reported. Take a look at how BP's stock performed today. I was watching the markets today, and the BP was headed upwards (as were other oil companies) because people seemed to think top kill was working. Little did we know, that BP wasn't doing anything for many hours. I really have to wonder how much money was made because we all thought BP had plugged the well? Just makes me think.

May 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Miriam

Thanks, Anderson, for staying on top of things. This is the worst ecological disaster in our history. What makes you think that anyone knows how to fix it? I understand that the best scientific minds and experts from other oil companies are trying one thing after another. I'm not taking up for anyone, believe me. But, is it a "failure of imagination" or a humbling event to make us count our blessings?

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Richard Johnson

Is it true that if the pressure one mile down is 160 times greater than on the earth's surface, the oil that looks like it is spewing out about 10 feet would actually be a 1600 foot geyser if it was a land well? If so, I think this comparison gives people a much better idea of how bad this is.

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Robert Brock

Its like a circus and BP is the ringleader and the American Goverment and people are the clowns.

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Jesica

When will we know?? It said 10 et.

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  36. joeinalabama

they say that they stopped for awhile. why is mud still spewing out

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Kim

This whole disaster is heartbreaking. The pictures from Louisiana and the Gulf Coast are sickening. The damage to our ecosystem and wildlife is so senseless and it seems all for profit. Let's pray this topkill works. I live on the West coast of Florida and I'm afraid it will be here it this doesn't work and this continues until August. We need relief NOW!!!

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Those best minds in the business at BP don't have a clue about what to do. They are just trying everything hoping something will work and then they will take credit for doing a great job.

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Lauren - Toronto

Anderson,
    I am extremly worried about this spill, I am a young student in high school but I have studied spills such as this one since grade 7.
    I think that 16 hours of none flowing mud is awful.
    This has to be cleaned up soon and time won't wait for anybody.
    I was just wondering, maybe you could help me understand this, why arn't skimmers being used to clean the oil that has been broken down by the dispersants that had been put into the water?
    I know they just want to stop it before they clean it up but why cant they begin the clean up NOW and flow the mud!
    Can't America multi-task ?

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Meredith

Is it possible that the oil spill could bankrupt BP?

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Renee

Love the PeeWee comment. Thanks Mary! Always keeping it honest.

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Jim K Rocklin,Ca

I think the stage is set. If I hear Presedent Obama come out Tomorrow, saying,:
    "Thad, You are doing a heck of a Job"
    I will hit myself in the head with a hammer.
    I don't believe anything BP execs are saying about the picture we are all seeing. I would believe the camera settings are being changed now, before I believe this "Top Kill" is working as planned. I Think there is too much pressure for the Top Kill,I think they are going to the next step, tonight, when most of us are alseep.

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Michael

Anderson ask what's in the mud. I am sure it's not clean mud. Probably loaded with Barite. Does anyone know what type of additives are in the mud which almost all of it is going into the ocean

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Ward

Putting politics and anger aside, how can we (Americans) help? We all texted to help Haiti. How about something similar to help our own fellow Americans, our neighbors?

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Lenn, New Orleans

Right Dave, I thought they were supposed to investigate the super tanker options

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Pamela Holsing

Anderson I live here in Pensacola, Iam wondering if you can find out if this pipeline can be crimped like you bend a garden hose to stop the presure of water, can this be done to this pipe to alow them to put somekind of dome on top to fill with cement to stop this leak ?? Thank You for all you do Pamela Holsing, Pensacola, FL

May 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Jesica

Do we know yet, if this has worked???

May 27, 2010 at 10:21 pm |