May 26th, 2010

Evening Buzz: "Top Kill" Effort Underway

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/US/05/26/gulf.oil.spil/c1main.spill.jpg width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

BP's "Top Kill" effort to stop the Gulf oil leak is underway. We'll have the latest developments on the mission during our live coverage tonight from Louisiana's Gulf coastline.

Anderson went out in a boat today with the governor of Louisiana to get an up close look at where the oil is concentrated along the marshes. Anderson had to wear special clothing and gloves due to the toxic environment. Don't miss his report tonight.

We're also keeping them honest. The big question tonight: Is enough being done to clean up the oil? Witnesses told Anderson today it seems crews are only going to where the cameras are rolling for what could be called clean-up photo-ops. You'll hear from Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser and CNN's James Carville, who calls New Orleans home. Both are demanding more action from BP and the federal government.

Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat from the Gulf state of Florida, is putting pressure on the White House.

"If this thing doesn't work, then the president ought to turn this over to the military," Nelson said. "You've got

to have BP's cooperation because they have the best technical instruments, but we have got to have somebody in charge and I think the U.S. military is best suited to do that," he added.

Join us for our live coverage from the Gulf starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. laura sountris

I have been following the spill everyday. And this is a really ridiculous example of how big money people work. Ignore a tremendouse problem then let the little money people pay for it! The President should have stepped in right away and sent boats out to suck up the oil instead they just let it keep pouring out! Ruining alot of the little peoples lively hood! Typical!

May 27, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  2. eneida

I hope that the "top kill" works because I'm tired of seeing those poor people in Luisiana suffer. And to see those poor animals dying is devastating!. Let's pray that this top kill works and the people of Luisiana soon can put all this behind so they can go on with their lives.

May 27, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  3. GreatGranpaChuck

President Obama: GET IT DONE!

May 27, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  4. Alva

BP is responsible for this ecosysystem catastrophe. It is unfair to blame the Obama administration for this. This disaster has
    Bush- Cheney -Haliburton written all over it. You can not recognize the stench of death. How soon do we forget!

May 27, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  5. michelle bellizzi

this is terrible this oil spill! My belief is bp is lying about everything i dont think they can do this top kill like they say. its like pissing against the wind

M.Bellizzi

May 27, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  6. Katherine Pauley

What has happened to our country... government? Why are responses to disasters in our own home land so slow to come? (This really puzzles me.) The magnitude of this oil spill is beyond comprehension at this time and still people have to ask, "Where's the help?" Too many unanswered questions.

May 27, 2010 at 2:24 am |
  7. Nigel MSU

Top Kill strategy is the obvious way to go, but instead of taking a one part approach, they should drill a second hole so as to create a "Y" type hole. That should lessen the pressure, since that is the problem, then they should attempt whatever top kill . Maybe even try to stop the leak through the second drill into the pipeline a hundred or so feet down. I Know it would take time, but hasn't time already passed?

May 27, 2010 at 2:21 am |
  8. Sarah

I really feel better reading all these comments. I think we are reasonable people, most of us. But corporations?? They may be made up of people but they do not serve the population, they serve themselves and profit. And then when you hear...that...uh..what? these governing bodies that are supposed to be watching these companies for all of our good? something about...uh...cocaine and alcohol and prostitution? its almost too much. but our universities! we do have intelligence. i don't know why the military would have any expertise in this! it's not a military issue. maybe the national guard! just to help though. but letting bp fix this problem has been about the saddest joke i've ever seen, from where i am sitting. just watching. and these dispersants!! what are they? just as toxic probably.

but thank you Anderson Cooper!! how modest to say you're not so smart. practical is about my favorite form of intelligence! that is some real IQ. and thanks to the comment, i also would like to let James Carville in a room of those executives with the doors closed!!!! guess who might come out with some satisfaction? i bet it wouldn't be those those bp &%$%&$-ers..

May 27, 2010 at 2:11 am |
  9. Brian Page

Top Kill? What about the "bottom kill" of the ocean life and fragil ecosystem in the Gulf region? Our dependancy on oil has left this mess on all of our hands.

Brian Page
    New Mexico

May 27, 2010 at 2:06 am |
  10. David

Why is no one considering the large number of other Deepwater rigs drilling and producing. Should there be special kill lines as a minimum on all projects so kill fluid has a place to enter. Seems like some retrofitting of subsea equipment may be in the works.

On another note. Where are all the skimmer equipment and no word on Kevin Costner separator. Must not have worked.

May 27, 2010 at 12:37 am |
  11. Greg Wilkinson

Greg Wilkinson: BP and the gov't are just playing "good cop bad cop" with the American People. The Obama Adm. had a policy in place to deal with this type of disaster in the gulf that they never followed through wiith. Pres. Obaqma needs to tell the American people why.

I believe this disaster plays right into the Obama plans for the American economy. He and his cronies want an American economy that is much smaller and less robust than in the past. The oil spill has played right into their plan. non-response to the spill is a perfect way they can kill that part of the economy.

He and his cronies are totally commited to a jobless recovery. That is why almost everything they spend money on is short term. They are smart people and know what has always worked to make the economy recover and they refuse to do it. We known what Sec. Gates, said, today about needing a recovery that produces jobs in order to remain the robust nation we have been. That my friends is exactly what the Obama admin. does not want. A strong robust America. I know that is a vert strong accussion but remember this so you will not be totally blindsided. I am a union man but I have had it.

May 27, 2010 at 12:03 am |
  12. NOLAMANGREG

As for the "Top Kill" method I feel the process is ill conceived. The plan to force drilling mud down the inside of the combination casing string is applying hydrostatic pressure to the wrong place. How is the drilling mud going to get to the bottom when it is flowing at the mudline? I feel the flow in comming up the combination casing string annulus. I hope I am wrong.
    I hope BP will consider:
    1.Removing the "control" equipment that is on the ocean floor. It is not controlling any flow.
    2.Lower a string of pipe to the bottom of the well.
    3.Circulate the needed density drilling mud to fill the casing.
    4.Pull the pipe out of the hole leaving the heavy drilling mud.
    5.Pick up a tubing conveyed perforating system and a retrievable packer, like a Champ III, and lower the pipe with perforating system and packer to the bottom.
    6. Activate the perforating system to establish communication between the inside the combination casing and its annulus.
    7. Circulate the heavy drilling mud back to the surface. This will fill the annular area with drilling mud creating hydrostatic pressure on the zone blowing out and kill the well.
    I welcome comments.
    Greg

May 26, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  13. Dr Lupo E Tommasi

I can clean up the Gulf and Stop this Spill. I am writing to you in hope that you will take my words seriously, I am 63 years old and have a doctorate in Mechanical Engineering. I was well known for resolving problems when "No One Else" would handle them. You cannot believe my frustration in witnessing the unsuccessful attempts to stopping this horrendous problem, thirty-six days of oil pouring into our beautiful Gulf and still they are "trying" to find a way to stop it, not to mention the devastation all this is causing to the Gulf that will Greatly effect the ecosystem and the economy of all the Gulf coast beaches. I have a solution and it is a good one, I am trying desperately to reach the proper authorities, I want to help but my hands are tied. If you can, please direct me to the right channels so that I can stop this spill and clean at least 80 of the oil already in the Gulf.

After watching 360 this evening and seeing the oil on the shores of Louisiana yet no one is taking action my frustration level is at a all time high. There is a logical way to clean most of this toxic oil from the shores and in the Gulf. I want to share my ideas, I am an engineer watching everyone with their hands in their pockets saying "Johnny did it." We need immediate action, I am ready.

May 26, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  14. Mike

Thank God for Anderson's coverage of all things catastrophic. This is a crime against nature, humanity. and the USA.
    Our government, Obama included (yes I voted for him) are suckups to BP.
    Why aren't oil tankers being sent to start sucking this up before it gets anywhere??? Why hasn't Obama directed hazmat teams to start cleaning up??? NOTHING IS BEING DONE!!
    And Anderson said it best, this is Obama's katrina. While people are losing their livelihoods, marshes are being coated in oil, pelicans are dying by the hundreds, President Obama was at the Getty mansion in San Francisco. Unbelievable

May 26, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  15. jim j

I am truly amazed at the comments about BP and our government not
    reacting fast enough,I have an engineering degree and know the extent of the problem but when you are facing a disaster of this magnitude you walk not run unless you want a much bigger mess,and wanting the government to get involved would sign your death warrant ,first of all if the government gets involved and things go haywire which more than likely will due to lack of knowledge in deep water drilling .And then BP washes their hands and we end up on the short end of the stick not collecting 0ne cent because BP will point the finger back at us .Remember you stay out of the kitchen if you don't have an apron.

May 26, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  16. Susan

I think the local government should arrange the immediate clean up and just bill BP for the cost. The Federal government should help in the collection of the funds as well as the actual clean up and preventive measures.

May 26, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  17. Al

BP said the top kill had a 60-70% chance. Why didn't they try it right away instead of the other methods? I think it is because they knew the kill will kill the well as an income source for them and now they try it as a last resort. Shame on BP!!

May 26, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  18. Mark

You have to try anything you can. Time is of the essence being tied up in federal bureaucy is the same as it always is and all they are doing is wasting time, The President really cares and he needs to make things happen faster. Hours turn into days-days into weeks and weeks into months. Let's move faster.

May 26, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  19. Susan

I think when a disaster like this happens, the local governments should handle the necessary protective measures and clean ups and the bill sent to the responsible party.

May 26, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  20. Kim Clark

To compare this ENVIRONMENTAL crisis to the act of NATURE that we know as Hurricane Katrina...is DISRESPECTFUL and DEMORALIZING. May the LORD bless the souls of the 11 men killed...in spite of the eery silence about them. NO expose...NO names...NOTHING! After all how can you play politics with that? The oil is spilling in the gulf of Mexico...besides the 11 workers...I'm assuming everyone else had homes to return too! In Katrina...water was SPILLING over on actual PEOPLE...PLACES...and all their THINGS! Actual human bodies...not birds...not shrimp...not fish...but U.S. citizens. So the comparison is disgusting...and it's beginning to take another TONE! What exactly can Obama to? Who knows what he should do? NOBODY...not even the smartest scientist.

May 26, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  21. teresa, kent, oh

@david wood: i agree. we need to pray that top kill works. I dont see that there is much more of a choice.

it doesnt help to moan about Obama and BP. we have an incredibly dangerous situation and blaming isnt going to help. if someone has a better solution to fix the leak, please contact BP.

as for me, Im with david wood, I'm gonna pray for top kill to work and SOON and I'm gonna pray for those BP executives to be strong and honest and spare no expense in fixing this disaster.

May 26, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Chris

Look to 1979 and the Mexican blowout. Same company, same failures, 9 months finally 2 additional wells stopped the flow. Same will happen here.

May 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Edie

If the current solution does not work where do we go tomorrow I fell that we should not drill unless we have a back up system always to make sure that this does not happen again. Should we have the goverment step in I think if we do that we might be in real trouble because they are not aware of pre-existing conditions if the goverment steps in than we are opening up all kind of problems ahead.

May 26, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  24. lori

It seems the Gulf States haven't put any safeguards in place to protect their assets. Why aren't they accepting any responsibility for their own lackadaisical approach do such a disaster? They've been caught completely off guard and the Governors are trying to pass the buck and bill onto the Federal Government.

May 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  25. julie

Does BP not understand that the damage will not stop in the gulf? Its the whole food chain that is involved. Little fish that die mean bigger fish will die. Birds will die. Birds eat bugs and so on. This oil will not disapear it may wash up on the shores of other countries contaminating them. What will a hurricane in the area do to the oil? Does anyone understand how far reaching this is?

May 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Dot

The federal government & Obama has let the american people & Louisiana down. Thank you Anderson for good reporting on the lack of help from the federal government.

May 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Rich

I have been watching the bp webcam. Looks worse than ever.
    Is that just the top kill mud or did the leak get worse?

May 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  28. JP

Put ADM Thad Allen in charge, give him full authority, hold him accountable -he can handle it. Billy and Bobby need help.

May 26, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Laquilla Coleman

I think that this is an interesting story. We haven't had much coverage on both the BP workers and the fisherman who have lost their jobs. We don't want our government involved in other affairs such as business and money but the minute a corporate messes up how we live, that's when we want to call them in. I think that this could potentially be something bigger than this horrendous oil spill

May 26, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Jim

Tell you what we do- Get the BP Executives Put them in a Room & put
    James Carville in there with them- either James will be the only one comming outta that room or The BP executives will get their behinds in gear in SHORT order! I Bet James would love to use the Executives to Stuff into that pipe.

May 26, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Mary

I am a bit confused on how having the military involved with exactly help anything. How will the military make this situation better/serve this situation? I don't see any riots happening from the people affected by this travesty, it is more the environment, which the military may not serve, unless they are going down there to don hazmat suits and help clean up. The real question is where is FEMA????

May 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

This mess is sad for our wildlife, and Paul, you havent' seen any reporting on the oil field? Where do you life, Sir?

May 26, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
  33. Kevin Kerwood

to response Annie Kate, Idont think the military has a clue on how to organize the cleanup effort they are train to destroy not clean up. Did you see this evenings report where the Govenor said that the Army Corp of Engineers told them they could not builsd a dam until enviromental studies were done. Give me a break because of that debauckle there is no enviroment to study. If they were allowed to damb the entrances then countless Frogs, Alligators, Fish, and other wildlife that is suely going to die.

May 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm |
  34. Annie Kate

Perhaps the military could help by bringing organization to the effort and coordinating different teams to work on different aspects of the spill – some with the actual spill, some with the wetlands, some with the people whose livelihood is gone now with the oysters and shrimp, and some with the wildlife, etc. This incident feels like Katrina all over again when no one came to help for days on end. Looking forward to Anderson's show tonight and what new information he can pass along to us all.

May 26, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  35. paul of louisiana

Well mr. anderson wtih all due respect i still havent seen any reporting on the oil field employees who have lost work or their job due this tragety created by BP. KATRINA ALL OVER AGIAN!!!!!
    NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE CONTROL. BP IS CONTORALING THE FEDERAL GOVERMENT.

May 26, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  36. David Wood

Let's all pray that this top kill works or there is going to damage that will be there for years.

May 26, 2010 at 9:11 pm |