May 25th, 2010

Will the 'Top Kill' Work? Join the Live Chat

BP engineers are preparing to start their next attempt to stop the oil spill in the Gulf.  Anderson is along the Gulf coast tonight in Louisiana with all the developments. We'll also have the tonight's other headlines.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Su from Fort Lee, NJ

Thank you Anderson for again being our eyes and voice and an advocate for all those endanagered wildlife. It reminds me of your lone coverage during the Katrina disaster...

BTW, could you ask Rob Marciano if he needs volunteers to go wading with him 🙂

May 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Darren

@ Helen, you are absolutely right. The 11 lost lives is terrible. However, we can't change that now. What we can protect is the effect of the wild life and the way of life for the South Louisianians. Know what I mean?

May 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Soledad Gomez

It's very nice that the people from the zoo's are there to wash the oil off the pelicans and other birds.

May 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Shayne Matlock

What we should be asking is, Why wasn't all the research done before the well was ever built? 25 years ago I was fortunate enough to spend a few weeks in a tent right on beach on Grande Isle, and what is happening breaks my heart. How can things like this happen in this day and age. Money and greed are destroying the planet. They just have it all so wrong. My prayers are with all of you wonderful people and your home. Oh, And I share your outrage...

May 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Mike

Anderson thanks for you excellent coverage usual but I really don't understand or believe it's right that the people along the shores in LA and FL or having to wonder when/if they are going to get some money from BP. I think the excuse that BP is busy "plugging the hole" is maddening and totally unacceptable!

May 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Mr. Hanna is so right. Birds become especially "shocky" when people handle them and they can die in your hands from fear.

Contacting the authorities would be best, they know what they are doing.

(i used to rescue and take care of birds in the wild. i had a special registration to do that, and i still lost around 50% of the birds because they are so fragile).

May 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Emily

@James Reynolds,
    I'm not sure why! In this case, I don't think that help can come from 2 other countries that know more about oil, aside from the US, and if they ARE offering it....why not say 'yes'?

May 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Diane Berube Canada

I am worried that if a storm picks up this oil, there might be more loss of life ~ human included.

May 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nicole,
    I agree with you, It is very sad for them, I know why they didn't have anything to help clean up as mammals, animals, resturant, or foods whatever, And nice see you, missed you. That was so horrible I have seen this. 🙁

May 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  10. jimmy

Hey Anderson;
    This TOP KILL thing BP is going to try, Im sorry to say is not going to
    work, this heavy mud they are going to pump in will just come out
    the same hole the oil is exiting, with out down hole back pressure, this
    is a BIG wast of time.

May 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Randy in Toronto

What about using liquid nitrogen on the oil leak and super freeze the oil to create a plug. Keeping it super frozen would enable them to place sometihng over top of the leak to get it under control.

May 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  12. charles a greenan

It wont work. The best bet is to bring in giant tankers to suck up some oil. And use some dispersants,and save what we will, until this oil is choked off.

May 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Lori

I hope the new plan works. The leak has to be stopped!

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

I hear you, Helen. The 11 men lost kinda got lost in the shuffle.

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Robert (Canada)

Denice's comment above has prompted me to ask: have computer models looked at how tropical storms/hurricanes will affect the movement of oil in the Gulf of Mexico and beyond as well as inland?

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  16. brian from pa

BP is a joke. So is our governments response.Its a national embarassment.

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Mary Gibbs

Just curious – with hurricane season just around the corner, what are the implications of a hurricane occurring in the gulf with the ongoing oil spill

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Smith in Oregon

There is obviously going to be a multi-generational fish and shell fish kill off by all that lay eggs on the sea-bed which is now coated with heavy Asphalt like crude Oil.

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@NMercado, Ph.D., Nicely said! We all need to stop being so selfish and have more respect for other life forms that share the planet with us.

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Nancy in Oregon

NMercado, sadly animals don't come anywhere near first for many humans, in all sorts of situations.

May 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Stephanie

The president can't win...if he doesn't go, he's not being a leader...if he does go it is a photo op...

May 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  22. charles smith

I didn't think about hurricanes., That situation would be devastating. I swam wwith manatees in Florida and they represent what is gentle and beautiful about the coast.

May 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Chelsea

Is this their to make it up to us because they realized that the dispersant they have been releasing into the ocean is just as harmful?

May 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Kim Roman

As I'm watching tonight's program (good work) a question comes to mind among all the mismanagement. Why wasn't this plug solution tried weeks ago?

May 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Marisa

I don't understand why the fishermen and people already waiting to clean up were not able to "just do it". Listening tonight they were waiting for an ok from both or either BP and the Coast Guard. What if they went out and did what they thought was needed would they have been shot at ?
    I know, at least I hope that is not the case but why didn't someone just go out and spread some hay? Every little bit helps and our country is in need of every bit of help when fighting a man made catastrophe created by a foreign/any company.

There is going to be many years of the circle of life ruining every area of nature.

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  26. William

Anderson, this will not work because of the depth. BP is not being honest with the public on the chance of success. The best way to stop the leak is to use Bunker buster bomb, penetrate the ocean floor and destroy the casing 40-50 feet below the BOP. This could have been done 24 hours after the spill. The Government needs to step and use Bunker buster bombs. This should be hand over to the Navy and military personnel that have knowhow.

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

"Pull together"....first. I agree. Blame and attack later, once the emergency is somewhat resolved.

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  28. jerry

Boycotting BP will be useless unless millions participate.
    There needs to be criminal charges brought against the company.
    Not just for the environmental impacts but possibly involuntary manslaughter for the killed workers.

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Ron from PA

@Anderson, do the wildlife officials and nonprofits who are working to save the animals need volunteers to travel there from various parts of the country to help them out? If so, are they going to issue a major call for volunteers?

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Nicole The Netherlands

@Emily, you can give it a try, if you want to...
    Really don't know anymore what consumers can do, if governmentofficails are failing (meaning the mms)...
    Some signal has to be given, maybe ?!

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Helen

I am hearing about wild life, that is great, but the 11 people that died are not as important.

May 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Jonathan

Yes. The government should take over. Furthermore, the armed services should do whatever is necessary to destroy the oil remaining in the well BP tapped into.

May 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Smith in Oregon

Interesting, the Neptune ROV live streaming internet Gusher Cam was showing the plume from the riser rising up at nearly a 12 oclock position (straight up) , now it is streaming out at 2-3 Oclock, meaning whatever the flock of ROV's did over the past couple of hours increased the Oil gushing out into the Gulf of Mexico.

May 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, the wildlife is always the first in danger!

May 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Todd Bennett

I new this was going to be ugly. Many birds migrate from my home, in Canada, to the gulf every winter. This is truely a NA problem, who is in charge,

May 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Diane Berube Canada

Those poor pelicans are eating in that?

May 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Penny

I have seen more talk from the president on NBA finals than on action on the tragic oil spill in the gulf coast. How can our wild life and gulf beauty be so insignificant to DC? A sad tradegy occuring before our eyes !
    Help now !

May 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Harry Parker

If I change my oil in my car and let the oil just leak into my yard. My neighbor reports me and I get a big fat fine from the EPA. Maybe I go to jail. Why is BP not facing a billion dollar a day fine? Everyone knows they won't ever be held responsible for all the damage this causes financailly. And they know it too.

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Michael

Where are the Super Tankers with their massive pumps that could SURROUND and SUCK UP the Oil before it gets to the Mainland?? This method worked with the huge oil spill in the Persian Gulf after the Desert Storm War. WHERE ARE THE TANKERS?? Transporting product from the Middle East and elsewhere while the Gulf of Mexico and Louisiana go to HELL?!!!

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nancy,
    I think supertankers are somewhere area around gulf, I am sure it was underwater somewhere.

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Matthew

What if fire fighters just watched a fire burn a house and occasionally tried to fix it by testing out experimental solutions, they would just pour money into the thing and in the end nothing will be saved, no money and no house

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Jessica Huffman

It's my understanding that the gov't's hands are tied thanks to the Valdez law. All the people calling for the President to "do" something, what exactly can he do? What is he allowed to do within the parameters of the Valdez law? I agree it's horrible, however as abhorrent as they are to us, the folks at BP have more knowledge than the president and other politicians as to how to handle this. Hell, maybe we *need* Halliburton right now! (another scary thought) I don't know, all I know is this situation just makes me cry....

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Darren

What i don't understand is why BP's stock has not tumbled. If you have BP, dump it! Hurt them in their pocket books.

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I guess I can say I'm not surprised by the Administration's ineffectiveness.

May 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Carrie

1 hour ago. BP web site says it will now carry live feed of 'top kill'
    Very good to be able to witness.

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  46. KarinAnn

I have to agree with Melissa sadly, I only hope that our goverment learns from this.. and, I will include us the regular citizen! Why did we not have a fail safe system in affect for this? What a horrible way to learn a lesson as a nation! Learn USA, Learn!

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Sommer - St. Louis, MO

@ Melissa – You are so right. I'm scared to see what the consequences will be for the world because of this oil spill.

Americans need to group together and not support BP. We can all make a statement via our pocketbooks.

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  48. NMercado, Ph.D.

These poor animals who suffer because of human greed. Americans and all people really need to make serious commitments to the health of our environments and all of its inhabitants. This IS an ecosystem, if the environment dies so do we.

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  49. matthew good

who is going to help the animals? It is like 911 for them and there is no stoping it. My grandmother live there and she is 92 , been there all her life. It will never be the same.

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  50. val

Why isn't Louisiana allowing people to come in and help clean-up the Marsh and on shore? I've been waiting over a week to be sent out to work and help out

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |