May 19th, 2010

Man accused of posing as a woman, encouraging suicides

William F. Melchert-Dinkel, a 47-year-old husband from Minnesota, allegedly posed as a woman in internet chatrooms to “encourage” depressed and suicidal women to take their lives in false suicide pacts. He is now charged with two counts of aiding suicide. Melchert-Dinkel’s attorney tells CNN that his client has no plans to plead guilty.

In this clip, Celia Blay, the woman who helped uncover this suicide scam, explains how she and another friend gathered enough evidence to prove that Melchert-Dinkel was urging some people to kill themselves.

Watch the full story from Randi Kaye tonight on AC360 at 10pm ET.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Crime & Punishment • Randi Kaye
  1. shauna

ugh.... what a sicko. Seriously what was his/her motive? I mean did he/she get their jollies off knowing people were offing themselves? Ugh yikes what has the world come to?

May 26, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  2. Martina

I appreciate CNN for the complete coverage of this story but for people who are depressed or considering suicide PLEASE do not give detailed description of how to sling the rope over the door attached to a door knob...I do not think that was necessary.

May 20, 2010 at 1:51 am |
  3. Noor

i think he was sick. to encourage someone to suicide is totally bizarre. he should get a death penalty. Thats my opinion.

May 19, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  4. Diane

Dear Anderson,

I am a resident of Ontario, Canada.
    The story of Nadia Kajouji is very close to my son, my husband, and myself. My son attended the same university in Ottawa, Ontario as Nadia, and knew her personally.
    I cannot tell you how terrible the disappearance of Nadia was for these university students who were roommates of her, and the j unimagineable horror this poor young woman must have gone through emoitionally before she ended her life.
    As a parent of a university student, receiving a call from your son to say "they found Nadia in the water Mom and the university has called us close ones to her, to immediate counselling"......is something I will never ever forget. I sobbed uncontrollably for Nadia, and for the angst these close friends of hers went through for six weeks not knowing her whereabouts.
    Last year in the Spring of 2009, I was invited by Nadia's mother to a memorial walk in Ottawa Canada, along the banks of the Ottawa River to the memorial site for a ceremony for Nadia. Many tears were shed and her mom and family had given such a beautiful tribute to her. I could not help but think, "how can this dear mother walk along this beautiful riverside, knowing that her daughter died here",
    Anderson, THANK you for airing this story on CNN.
    I feel for Nadia, her family, and the gentleman & his family in England who may have been preyed upon by the same predator as Nadia,
    William Melchert-Dinkel. We are all heartsick and justice needs to be served by this man in ones' mind.
    Thank you again Anderson.
    You are an incredibly intelligent and lovely person.
    SIncerely,
    Di (Diane Austin) – North Bay, Ontario – Canada

May 19, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  5. Brad

The incident described here is a news worthy story. However, I am concerned that the detailed analysis of the way in which he described in detail on how to commit suicide has been included in this story. It seems to me that CNN is distributing the same information that this man was but on a much larger scale. How many suicides might be contributed to by the national telecast of such detailed information. What if someone's suicidal teenager or loved one sees this information on CNN and it enables them to take the final steps to ending their own life? In a world where we censor much of free speech or artistic expression, it is "ok" to list detailed instructions on national television on how to commit suicide in the correct way ? Really?
    Come on , the media is a valuable tool of our society that carries a great responsibility to the citizens of our country. I believe that this is an example where thorough thought into the way the news is being delivered has been neglected.

Please, for the sake of someone's loved one, think about the impact that your stories could potentially have on the lives of your viewers in the future. Sensationalism is not an equal trade off for someone's life!

May 19, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  6. Gracie

When I saw this segment, I became physically ill. For anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide, a person who could know such an intimate detail and keep it to themselves and even encourage the person to go forward rather than seek help is a monster.
    If this man had ever experianced this kind of loss, he would have a clue how much pain he had a hand in causing.
    I lost the love of my life 2 years ago May 30th to suicide. When I saw a website he had gone to days before he died that instructed him exactly what gun to use and how to use it "to do the job right", I was in shock. I emailed the url to the detective involved with the case and he told me there was nothing they could do. What a world we live in.

May 19, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  7. Lisa from Louisville, KY

How sick. I'm sure he won't, or "can't" be charged with anything.

May 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Courtenay

This is a weird story. I don't understand why someone would do this.

May 19, 2010 at 9:11 pm |