May 19th, 2010

Keeping BP honest on Gulf oil leak: Join the live chat

We have BP Managing Director Bob Dudley tonight and Anderson will be keeping him honest on the Gulf oil spill. Plus Sean Penn will talking about life in Haiti and testifying before the Senate today. And we'll investigate what influences children's perceptions of race.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kenya

One of the many evils of the internet...

May 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Gerard Mc Ardle, Belfast & Drogheda, Ireland.

Dear Anderson, Team & viewers greetings from Ireland....

I want too say well done to Sean Penn on keeping the message going that it's now... not tomorrow, next month, or next year, that Haiti needs a mammoth world effort in avoiding another disaster of extreme proportions. Mr Obama when he comes out from his lavish 4 or 5 course meal tonight with his Mexican guests should think back on what he promised Haiti when the earthquake struck in the first place. So let him act on his promise.

As regards theBP man going off partying it just shows how these guys like the "Bankster's" are more interested in profits than people. A sizable bill should be invoiced to them straight away, that would take him out of party mood.

May 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Children are Awesome! They mimic what you do, not what they say.

I judge peeps based on mental abilities, similarities to me not the exterior.

There is trash in every culture and treasures. I like to keep the treasures and ditch the trash.

My ex was Yeminite Israeli, we looked nothing alike...I have red/blonde hair & blue eyes. But he had a great soul....too young but sweetheart.

Until we learn to judge based on proper conduct/mental ability...this will continue.

May 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Alicia Farnum (NYC)

Wow, Anderson was so prepared. He really forces the truth out of people. I mean where does he get all this information from? He never loses a debate, ever. Tonight was very impressive. (clap clap clap)

May 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

Oh yes, carla, and beyond the current President, I wonder how many adults have similarly biased ideas about who is a 'real American' and who isn't? I think our biases run wild sometimes, and we don't even realize it. It isn't just kids and color.

May 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

The story about bias is disturbing and extremely disappointing. I would like to see a follow-up study done adding Asian and Hispanic people, for example.

May 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It will also help if one love the color of one's own skin!

May 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Diane Berube Canada

I am not sure I liked the race study. Probably because I have seen it, felt it first hand and our skin color is akin to a ghosts. When my son was born overseas, he was kept separate from the other babies when he was taken to be looked at by the doctors, thankfully another fair baby was born shortly after so he did get company eventually. I kept him with me as much as possible but I have a very different view because of it.

May 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Sarah

I had no idea that white women are the larger number of people on welfare...

May 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Very interesting study – hopefully a good resolution can be found

May 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Karoline, Los Angeles

Soledad is so right-families must talk about race and all those other topics that make so many of us uncomfortable.

May 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Shanen

Did they test the dead dolphins and sea turtles for ingesting, absorbing (osmosis) and/or fat retaining chemicals found in the Corexit dispersants? They sure were quick to deny why they were dead.

May 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

It makes me wonder what the kids would answer if asked, "Which one is the good one, the girl or the boy?" or "The old woman or the young one?"

May 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Kellie

Kuddos to Sean Penn for speaking the truth about these greedy corrupted NGOs. This is nothing new. These charities been begging on behalf of the Haitians for decades but they are getting richer while the people are starving. They raise money and keep it in their own pockets and blame and critize the haitian people and their government for staying impoverished. It's a shame.

May 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Starr, formerly known as vincent

You have to admit that on TV alone, the criminals are either African Ameriacan, Latino, Middle Eastern.

Also on the news, again most of the criminals or the "enemy" we are fighting are darker skin.

I definitely think that media and frankly hearing parents, adutls talk about the news in general affects young children.

Again, i also agree with what Solidad said last night, the parents circle of friends also has a lot of impact.

May 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  16. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Very interesting point Soledad!

May 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Emily

I still think that these kids "see" 'color', not race'!
    5yr olds don't know what a "welfare-mom is!

May 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  18. adam taylor sc

It is not bp ocean to ruin......I don't think I can sit idle while an oil company ruins our planet for a bottom line.....how is there a trail about this, while 70,000 barrels a day....continues to stream into the gulf....why haven't they stopped or atemp to stop it... they seem more worried about there image than the actual problem..tell me what the average american can do right now to stop offshore drilling .....we need to do something while we still can go play at the beach....if you have a conscience don't go to a bp gas station..

May 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Parents need to keep in touch with their children's emotions and thoughts and what we do and say as parents will effect our children's. We can't always blame our surrounds.

May 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Karoline, Los Angeles

Soledad makes a great point!

May 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Steve

Lets punish BP later, I just need to know what they are doing about it now. The questions should be about what else they have planned to stop it. Their methods should be scrutinized to be sure they make sense but it is too catastrophic too be left up to BP alone.

May 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  22. David G. of Palm Springs, CA

Hi Anderson, How do we keep BP honest? Good question for some. For me it is, not solely on the honest it is on the repsonsibility and accountability factors we have been hearing from the gulf first hand. Is BP involved in the clean up now Anderson?

David G.

May 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Karoline, Los Angeles

I think many of us still live in segregated neighborhoods. We tend to seek out those who we perceive to be similar to us. But our perceptions can be highly erroneous.

May 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  24. carla

it comes from people saying that the president is not american because he is blackk...racism is strong in america

May 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Kenya

I'm curious to see the conclusion of this study on race..or rather what we are to do next with the outcome?

May 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

@Jeff Miller interesting pt about the barge system. I think the question about the response immediately following the spill is an important one. Starts to get at the big picture.

Anderson, is there an environmental impact study that oil companies have to do when applying for a permit for drilling in the gulf?

It is worrying to think there are camps in Haiti that are not getting aid and that there is a reduction of aid when acute needs are persisting after intial response and during recovery from the quake as Sean Penn is pointing out. What do the US Govt and the UN have to say about that? A strong working partnership bwtn aid agencies and the Haitian govt is needed. Maybe that partnership is strengthened by concerted focus and work on immediate and acute necessities.

May 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Renee

Just tuned in...sorry but has the BP guy been on yet?

May 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Nancy in Oregon

I still think that it isn't just obvious racial bias that the kids are voicing. I think it's also the 'dark' vs 'light' archetypes built into so much of culture, the arts, religion....you name it, there's usually a positive association with 'light' and a negative one with 'dark'.

May 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  29. lisal -canada

oh haiti – it is good to hear that there is international aid, but disappointing that some of it still does not seem to be getting through properly. sean penn SEEMS to have a pretty clear understanding of the issues. they are issues that should be able to be dealt with.

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Sophia Garcia

It never occured to me to ask my kids about race issues until this report. I was shocked to hear my daughter (11th grade) tell me that she is often "left out" or gets her feelings hurt because the majority of kids in her school are hispanic ~ they don't believe she's hispanic because of her complexion and surname, or they make fun and call her "half-breed"...That blew my mind! =0(

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Shanen

@ Casey, You're welcome. It took unbelievable searching to find the link that states BP will profit from Corexit's sales, since they run it with Exxon... Souless people. It also took searching to find it was banned in the UK. Why is this not on CNN, HLN, every news report? Thank you ANDERSON!!! Ask the pertinent questions!

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  32. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

That is demographics. a large number of the prison population is black. unfortunately

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Smith in Oregon

The children's racial study is very disturbing. This could very well lead many advertisers to entirely forgo having any African American people in many of their ad's and bit parts in their programming.

May 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  34. carla

look a certain way ....black ...say it

May 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Betty

Great interview with BP Anderson!!! It seems as though they really don't have any answers.
    On your report with children and skin color-–it is appaling.
    It all comes down to parents, and what they teach their children.
    I am an elderly white woman, but having gone to a Catholic grade school, I can remember how I was treated when entering high school.
    There was bigotry against Catholics. Teachers were not fair in giving grades . We were called names. Fish eaters was only one that I can print here.
    Perhaps we need more parents to take more responsitility in teaching their children to respect others.

May 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Barb

I love the gulf coast, we vacation there,my husband and I wanted to retire there. I can't believe after nearly a month BP is no closer to stopping this oil leak than they were on day one. You mean to tell me there is no one that can offer a solution? This is heartbreaking.

May 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Karoline, Los Angeles

This racial perception study has been fascinating.

May 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  38. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

If people think white is so pretty, then why are tanning salons booming, huh? Maybe we don't want to be so white after all.

May 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Diane Berube Canada

Just shocking that anyone could do this to another.

May 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Vesley

It doesn't surprise me that many African-Americans are given ludicrous bias about race given some of the media we still see today.

May 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Karoline, Los Angeles

Sean Penn could probably win if he ran for office out here in CA. After all, we've elected two actors for governor. And so far Penn is more compassionate than either of them.

May 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Nancy in Oregon

That's what I think too Casey....and not just 'asserting pressure' but doing real 'work'....spending the hours of one's days in actual work toward the goal.

May 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  43. tammy

Bob Dudley -what about the third hole?! What about showing us all of the real pictures and not just what you want! Please let all of CNN in! Mr. Cooper he invited you and your crew in , so go! Mr. Cooper, you ROCK!

May 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I guess this nurse...under the, "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" he got away with murder!

May 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Caroline

The booms deployed are a joke. Waves take the oil over them. They are not deep, so the oil can travel under them. They were put on for SHOW. But, it's a fake show because they are worthless. Another way for BP to keep their recovery cost down.

May 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Tammy montague

I will link the BP interview to all the FB oil spill groups as soon as it is available!

May 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Smith in Oregon

There is a proposed federal Oil Tax to help offset what could be a 197 Billion dollar taxpayer bill to deal with the real costs of the Gulf of Mexico heavy crude Oil spill, loss of jobs and health problems. Do you support that? Sounds like a good idea to me.

May 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Emily

I can't believe that someone would "pose" as a female nurse, encouraging suicidal people to commit suicide.
    That's stomach-turning...what a disgrace!

May 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Cecil

There have been dozens of ocean oil spills all over the world in recent years. Many are from offshore drilling but a large number are from tankers carrying middle east oil. We need to insure that all possible precautions to prevent spills are being taken by ocean drilling, ocean production platforms, tankers and oil refineries.

May 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  50. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

What a weirdo ! He got his "jollies" by encouraging other to kill them selves. He needs to be locked up. weirdo sicko.

May 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |