May 13th, 2010

Read it here: L.A. travel boycott for Arizona

Program Note: Watch Los Angeles City council member Ed Reyes tonight on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

(CNN) The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

To read the full resolution, click on the amendment below.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Arizona • Immigration
  1. Michelle R.

I'm sure it will have unintended consequences but that is really the only reason I disagree with the boycott. AZ really can't afford it. I'm actually more concerned about the ethnic studies curriculum ban which is piggy- backing this new law. If the curriculum were inclusive separate classes wouldn't be necessary, but come on. I seriously hope others are scratching their heads over this one. Why do this right now? Hmmm. I'm not sure what end this is supposed to accomplish.

May 14, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  2. Carole

Guess they did not like the truth. Living in Arizona and only 12 miles from the Mexican border, this law is great. They come here and enroll in our schools, get free health care, education and food stamps. It is about time. Do not be afraid to publish this. You will see how many Arizonians are in favor of this law.

May 14, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  3. melvin polatnick

Public streets and parks must be declared no stop and frisk zones. Those suspected of criminal activity can be searched in their homes or places of business after a court order is issued. Good detective work will still apprehend criminals in their hideouts, but never in the fresh air. A nation full of petty criminals in the streets and parks is more interesting than the morbidity of a police state.

May 14, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  4. Mike in NYC

So why aren't anti-invasion groups taking up a collection for AZ to counter any lost revenue? Time to fight the good fight, folks.

Looks like AZ illegals are already getting nervous and packing their bags. The fear of God.

May 14, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  5. Rex

I personally think it's just fashionable to jump on the band wagon here, Nobody seems to want to do what is necessary to enforce lmmigration laws that have already been on the books. Without the enforcement, what good are the laws? Of course it's racial profiling how else do you stop it. If they want to check my papers I would gladly show them. Since the federal law was passed last January making you produce proof of your origins to be able to renew your drivers license, I don't think just latinos have been targeted. I had to produce my social security card, my birth certificate and proof of residency in my state. I am not a minority. Should I be offended?

May 14, 2010 at 8:08 am |
  6. Kendra

I applaud Arizona in their efforts to keep the country safe and crack down on illegal immigration. It is a fact that western states have a SERIOUS immigration problem. As you can see from the recent polls majority of Americans agree with this law because Americans are tired of supporting illegals with our tax dollars. Recently, I saw a segment on CNN interviewing Mexican's in Arizona and they were not even concerned about the racial profiling their NUMBER ONE priority was being deported! Now, what does that tell you?

May 14, 2010 at 5:37 am |
  7. Flo in Texas

I am so sick of this immigration blab. I am an American citizen but I would never go out with some kind of ID. You can be arrested anywhere as a vagrant. So people quit bickering about nothing. We have no problem in this country with brown skinned people as one politician said, as long as he is a citizen or has legal papers to be here. Illegal people without ID commit crimes, rape, murder and commit robberies. NO ONE can go to any country other that the US, like the illegals. They would be stopped and jailed or shot in some cases. If someone feels real sorry for people who break the law by being here and then tell us we owe them, they pay for them to get their citizenship started, especially those Hollywood bunch who are blabbing about this. They should be able to help a bunch of them. That would get some of them legal.

May 14, 2010 at 5:30 am |
  8. Barry

The only difference between the old law and the new law is. Before the police had to turn over all illigals to ICE, now they can arrest and deport them . Following the LAW. anyone not committing a crime has nothing to fear.

May 14, 2010 at 5:27 am |
  9. jack gruen

Ed Reyes is committing sedition because in fact the AZ law is a carbon copy of the federal law.

The sanctuary city idea carried out by ethnocentric usurpers is aiding a continental invasion by Latin America of The United States.

Latinos like Reyes have made illegal immigration a race issue.

Now it looks like we will have to fight a race war.

Legal immigrants will be the big losers. Too bad Mexicans have so much PRIDE.

May 14, 2010 at 5:02 am |
  10. Brent

I believe the boycott is laughable. The L.A. City Council should be more solution oriented and address their own challenges. They should have ran for office in Arizona if they had wanted to participate in their affairs. Any sane resident of L.A. should be befuddled over such a counterproductive resolution. If L.A. truly thinks that Arizona will suffer by instituting their new immigration policy then maybe L.A. should prepare to welcome the people fleeing/removed from Arizona as an opportunity of their own to come to terms with the blind eye currently turned from existing citizenship laws. I applaud the effort put forth by Arizona in an attempt to uphold rather than overlook existing citizenship/visitation requirements and challenge California to do better. I too am very sensitive to humanitarian injustice, but I have yet to see or hear of broad examples directly resulting from Arizonas new legislation. So for now I will continue to carry my ID with me wherever I go and remember that the line between community security and harassment is not as thin as it may sometimes seem.

May 14, 2010 at 3:21 am |
  11. Juan

Its a wonderful decision that they made. It reassures me that I am not alone in this world and that others feel the way i feel. sb1070 is racist and a profiling law which will create even more problems and god forbid unnecessary deaths. And no Arizona will not stop after a emigration reform.

May 14, 2010 at 2:53 am |
  12. Ryan Hearn

Why not do what they do in some countries in europe. Tell them to report back within a time period with the necessary documents. If they dont show within that time, and they are arrested or stoped again in the future, then take appropriate action.

May 14, 2010 at 2:45 am |
  13. Frederick Johnson

Anderson, this is so ridiculous! I do not see what the problem is all about concerning this new proof of citizenship law passed in the state of Arizona. People keep talking about how this law supports racial profiling – get real! If you are an US citizen, what in the world do you have to worry about? If you are working illegally in the United States, guess what? You got problems! I live in the state of California and I see that the illegal immigration situation is absolutely out of control! I wish the police here could ask the proof of citizenship questions but they can’t.

May 14, 2010 at 2:43 am |
  14. Matt

I lived in Tucson, AZ for 4 years, and I would have completely supported this law if I still lived there. A travel boycott is simply stupid as people that want to go there are still going to go. I mean this law does not stop me from taking my family to the Grand Canyon (period).

The US government should be apologizing to AZ for not doing their job of protecting our borders. I do think it is funny that many of the city governments considering boycotts are also the ones going broke in todays economy.

May 14, 2010 at 2:37 am |
  15. Robert

What ever happened to each state having its own right to make its own laws. Most of the politicians speaking out are speaking out against fear of losing the Hispanic vote, which is growing in all states, especially California. I am of Hispanic descent and work in law enforcement. The only difference that Arizona makes from California is the officer is allowed ask a person stopped for violating the law questions concerning their residency. Politicians hoping to gain or not lose the hispanic vote are grandstanding and speaking out because it is a win win situation.

May 14, 2010 at 2:31 am |
  16. David Lee Springer

I'm in agreement with Cindy however, if the tourism industry is affected then the legislature should respond accordingly. The Sheriff is wrong in believing the boycott will not spread. I have nothing against enforcing a law, but how are they going to decide whose ID they're going to ask for? Only those that LOOK Latino? Is that not racial discrimination at its core? Arizona bans ethnic studies in order to overcome racial discrimination, yet passes a law that INSTIGATES it! I personally am boycotting the entire state of Arizona and am encouraging other people here in Oklahoma and elsewhere around the nation to do the same.

May 14, 2010 at 2:29 am |
  17. Cindy

I have to say that I find this travel boycott rather dumb. It is not going to hurt the true culprits of the ridiculous Arizona law...the elected officials. The ones hurt by this are the middle to lower class workers who depend on tourism and such to make their living.

Cindy..Ga.