May 10th, 2010

All-American to al Qaeda: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the story of how a young American from Long Island, New York, became an al-Qaeda terrorist. Nic Robertson and his team spent almost a year uncovering how and why Bryant Neal Vinas went from a quiet teenager who grew up in suburbia to a jihadist. Our team has tracked Vinas’ story across three continents.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. mike

brinkley is right they don't really care what happens to the US

May 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Sue R. Canton Mi.

was hoping and praying that this dome was going to work Sure hope that they hurry up and find a solution to this environmental disaster. This is so sad.

May 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Karen, MN

This oil spill in such a nightmare.

May 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like Elan Kagan, she will be great job for supreme court anytime. I also agree Jeff Toobin's comment says. 🙂

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  5. tanyia

Our coastal environment along with the seafood industry in our state will be ruined for decades.

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Lisa

What ignorance by the doctor and what type of attorney did he hire? I can't believe the birth certificate issue is still an issue to some people. Way to dig into the the two clowns Anderson...I felt like I was watching Nancy Grace.

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Smith in Oregon

5 Months would likely have the majority of the Gulf of Mexico as a decades long Dead Zone.

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  8. nancyinoregon

I know the feeling, Edward! I too got immediately caught up-reactive, actually!-before I remembered to say Good Evening! I really don't like hateful people to draw me in like that. Gotta watch that.

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I guess welding it is out of the question!

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Ray- Arkansas

Until the oil companys have to pay 100% for their corner cutting we should keep the ban on off shore drilling. BP is just out for profits.

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

OMG, my submarine experienced an unexplained loss of depth control in the Caribbean. We had to emergency blow to the surface. I bet those bubbles were the cause.

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Bonnie

Wait a minute!

Wasn't the Lt Col being paid to serve his COUNTRY?

...Except when it includes going into a combat zone apparently.

He deserves the court-martial. He's a COWARD!

...and the fruitcakes in the American Patriot Foundation ... I don't even have words for them. They defy explanation.

Where do these idiots come from?

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Lori, S. California

Methane is extremely explosive and hazardous.

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Brendan

they did that on Mythbusters!

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Emily

Wow, this oil disaster sounds like it's going to be effecting the environment for decades to come!
    It doesn't sound like they have found a way to stop it yet either. 🙁

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. LorenaR

this is in case you give some time to the Elena Kagan story tonight. Everything in Barack Obama's presidency has been history-making. If she is confirmed, there will be three women on the Supreme Court for the first time in history. Three out of nine is wonderful. The professor has done a good job in picking an able and competent woman.

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. mike

BP has to make thing right with fresh hundreds from their piggy bank

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Marc Jackson

Did LTC Laken receive peronal orders from CIC/POTUS or PersCom? If the former and his prerogative is to protest he should resign his commission and take up his fight; if the latter he should do his duty and follow an unquestionably lawful order.

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Lori, S. California

Methane in the water is very dangerous. I have heard that explanation about the Bermuda Triangle

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  20. nancyinoregon

Whoa...a ship be sucked down? Yikes.

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Marci

I used to be a Republican, but after the last year of insanity, irrationality, and complete ignorance of the majority of the Republican party, I cannot be affiliated with anything like this. Isn't there any objective Republican out there?

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Smith in Oregon

@ tanyia, yes the Coast Guard Admiral stated there was no crude Oil leaking for several days until private partys pointed out the size of the Oil slick and proved him wrong. Makes me wonder about that 'Admiral'.

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Normand

Barack Obama is a u.s.citizen no question! I wonder how mauny birthers were born outside the u.s. and aren't u.s. citizens, now that a story!!

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't understand how the government allows the oil companies to drill that deep if they have no way of stopping a leak at that depth. Are they just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best? I am not an expert at this, but I would think a leak would be more possible at 5,000 feet than it would be at 1,000 feet because of the added pressure.

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

That was a great interview the second time around Anderson. Way to get into the specifics of the questions about the format of the HI Certificate of Live Birth.

The documentation that is accepted by the Federal government is way more than enough and as it satisfies the requirements, the birthers shouldn't be allowed to force the process with rumormongering although I don't think what they're saying rises to that level.

Intersting pt by Roland Martin that all SC Justices will by from the Ivy League if Solicitor Gen. Elena Kagan is appointed. Has that situation been the case previously?

May 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Janine from PA

I don't understand these guys that become so radicialized, do they realize that these killers are not religious but are just closed minded muderers?

May 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Isn't methane hydrate explosive?

May 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    Thanks, for the info about Court Martial...glad to hear that the Military is taking Laken seriously

May 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Edward

Sorry I also forgot to say good evening to all the fellow 360 bloggers

May 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  30. James

Can anyone produce their original birth certificate? I tried to get mine about 10 years ago and was told that a certified copy was all that was available for public viewing.

May 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Lori, S. California

What a disaster for BP and all of us.

May 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Emily

@nancyinoregon, I think that Laken has other ideas in mind, Politics maybe, running for office...I don't think that someone who has served their country for 18yrs (honorable), would want to be remembered for disobeying an order because he didn't think the President was American-born.

May 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,

Thank you for asking the tough questions about Obama's birth. That man makes me want to throw something at my TV. What a ding dong hiding behind his lawyer.

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  34. tanyia

BP is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the oil leak in the Gulf. I lost faith in them the moment they said that the rig was not leaking.

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Amaru WestPalmBeach

President Obama is an American, they are just mad and want attention. Good job standing your ground, Anderson!

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Betty

I agree with others--this is pure racism--I think this Doctor has more than one problem!!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Bob

The birthers, including the idiot you interviewed, are upset because the President of the United States is not a white male. After his court martial, this guy should be immediately incarcerated for the period he was scheduled to be deployed. Simply dismissing him from the military is not punishment, it actually rewards criminal behavior.

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  38. nancy

as a person who was born in germany because my father was serving his country as an army offficer after ww2 does not make me any less of an american. since i never wanted to be president the issue was never raised but this crap about obama is pure politics and racism. stop this ridiculousness now.

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Janine from PA

McCain was born on a military base in panama, so he is a citizen. I wonder if he had become president if that would be an issue.

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Sheila

This is another way for the Republicans to take our eyes off the ball. They were shown proof. I guess there is so much corruption from both parties, that nobody what's to hear the truth anymore, now we all have to look like idiots to the rest of the world. Way to go. You should be stripped of your stripes. You show no honor to the uniform. Admit your afraid, we all are from time to time. Ask to be transferred instead of disrespecting our President. God be with us all

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  41. cristy

Wonder if he asked for Bush's birth certificate? Way to go Anderson,love how you grilled those nuts.

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ryan,
    You are absolutely right! Good point there!!!! Agrees with you! 🙂

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Gigi Richardson

Anderson, damn you're so good! Thank You for keeping them honest. A decorated man that can not speak for himself! This is one time that a military man did not have the courage or b-- to speak up and be accountable for his actions as it is required of all his "peers"!

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Emily, Minnesota

Other than his credibility...could the military doctor face charges himself when he's proven wrong?

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Dante

My goodness Sir!!! Why are you questioning his presidency!? Sir, just to let you know you and your are lawyer from whatever firm he came are making fools of yourselves. If you don't want to serve under him, since you served 18 years, just retire. Then again you want to go for the big 2-0.

May 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  46. charlie

@ Ryan. Thank you for that reply. Is that really the definition of "natural born" ie a parent born in the US. I have never heard that mentioned in the previous debates about this. If so it makes the birther's thought process even more crasy but an indictment of the Media for not making such a simple point clear.

May 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Edward

I think that the Lt. Col. and his attorney are idiots and racist. If the president was born in Wichita,KS they will still be crying about something.

May 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder if BP asked for that exclusion and the extension of the exemptions because they feared something like this might happen.

May 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Emily

@charlie,
    I think that McCain was born on a Military base in Panama. It's considered to be "American Soil"....

May 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Another surpreme court pick?

May 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |