May 6th, 2010

Nashville After the Flood: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Anderson reports live from Nashville where residents are cleaning up after a historic flood. Plus, NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor accused of rape and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Beth Tanner

My heart breaks for our beautiful state of Tennessee. Please keep the focus on Nashville and the surrounding area. Thank you for finally giving attention to the heart of the south.

May 6, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  2. sara

Thank you for coming to Nashville! We are more proud now than ever to call Nashville our home. Its the people that make this a great city.

May 6, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Christine K.

Thank you Anderson for turning the world's attention to our stories here in the greater Nashville area. So many people (even here in our own state) have no idea of the devastation! And an extra special thanks for covering the story about our beloved missing friend, Danny Tomlinson. We continue to have faith that he will be found. God Bless the Volunteer State...we will recover from all the love and support of our communities as we come together and rebuild!
    God Bless,
    Christine K.

May 6, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

@ Nicole, Netherlands

Thanks fot the hint – watching livestream!

May 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  5. greg s

Thanks for coming to Nashville. This is a great place to live, with some great people.

May 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@nancyinoregon, "something about the man-made ones really hurt me more."

I understand. It think it is because most of them are avoidable and often are the result of greed and cutting corners.

May 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Kathryn - Plym Mtg PA

Faith and Tim are truly involved in their community. Thank you for talking with them and showing that they care.
    It should mean a lot to their neighbors to know that their plight is being observed and people are ready to help them. They are on the Radar!

May 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  8. lisal -canada

sometimes the devastation and damage is not really apparent until you literally look at it from the inside out - that is the point, isn't it – that tim and faith are making now

the people of nashville are good people. thoughts and prayers.

May 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. kay benton

Finally! Appreciate you coming, but wish you had given the complete hour to the area and spoken with more of the local people. The flood covered so much more than just Nashville. The outer counties suffered greatly also... and the suffering for all of Tennessee will continue for a very long time! Please don't forget us!
    Keep the country updated!

May 6, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Sue

@David, Indiana - How does flood insurance work? There's Fema flood and insurance and private insurance?
    Usually, flood insurance is a rider/add-on into homeowners' insurance. If you are not living in a flood zone, it is not unusual to not have that insurance. Those right along the bank of the river may have it but others may not. Some choose to have it just in case there is torrential rain that causes basement flooding, but basements are not usual in Tennessee area from what I know. So, there may be a LOT of people without flood insurance.

May 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Glenda

Anderson, I'm watching you on TV now and want to say, once again, how grateful we are for your brilliant show and focus on our beloved Nashville! We will NEVER forget you for coming to our aid. God Bless You!

May 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Sue R. Canton Mi.

wow,,21 years after exxon valdez and still so much damage to people's live's and the eco system,,,It makes me wonder how long its going to take to clean this oil mess up,,once they stop it from leaking.

May 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Sue

@ Gloria, Brooklyn, NY May 6th, 2010 10:44 pm ET
    >> I know that it is a safety way of clean up the oil. They have to move the oil with a fine net.
    Gloria, will the containment dome further complicate long-term solution?

May 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "Nashville is to be complimented for taking carte of business without any apparent federal help, and no scenes of looting like NOLA."

I totally agree with that!

May 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  15. nancyinoregon

Will and his Dad...such a pair!

May 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  16. David, Indiana

@Sue that is a good question how many homes, how much area affected by the flooding in Nashville and throughout Tennesse and Georgia.

May 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  17. nancyinoregon

It's hard sometimes, JoAnn, because natural disasters cause enough heartache for humans and animals, but something about the man-made ones really hurt me more. Always have.

May 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Katherine Campbell

How can we get the national animal rescues into TN. Who has to invite them?

What federal agency would need to be contacted. Can anyone contact the appropriate federal agency to request animal rescue and help re-unite the pets that are separaed from their families?

May 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Jaime

The outpouring of love in this town is amazing. I work at a school where many of our students and families were affected. To hear their stories is just heartbreaking because so many of them lost everything. We as a school coordinated a drive for the last 3 days to give out supplies to these families and the response has been amazing. Thanks Anderson for coming to Nashville, to bring attention to this event but also to show what a great people we have here.

May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Nicole The Netherlands

Thanks for giving perspective, an history lesson. And an reality check in Alaska... Hope there will be a wild card in some good luck for the gulf area...

May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Barry Arnold

CNN/Anderson, Thank You so much for your attention tonight, great job showing the world what is happening here, better yet, you are doing a great job showing how wonderful the people of Nashville, TN and KY are. Thanks!!!

May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Robin

Does anyone know if they will still need volunteers in Nashville after the 14th? HON doesn't show anything. Nashville is a town I always love to go to. The people and country music make me feel right at home! I want to do what I can to help restore it.

May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Tom in Nashville

Thank you Anderson for coming to Nashville and calling attention to the huge impact this disaster has had on the lives of the people and community and making the world aware of the Nashville and Tennessee volunteer spirit. I am a huge fan of you and your show and knew we could depend on you to get this virtually ignored story the buzz it deserves. You didn't hear much about this story early on because that's just who we are. We help one another and survive it together. We don't do things to call attention to ourselves, we know we can handle it. I've never been more proud of this wonderful city I call home. I'm glad you, Anderson, came to insure we're getting the Federal help that's needed and to appreciate the spirit of great state. Thanks again!!

May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Vicki, " Where is the huge two hour telethon for the people of our own country?!"

You make an excellent point! Except for Katrina, it seems celebrities always put the U.S. last.

May 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Amanda Walton

It's a good thing it's not peak hurricane season in the Gulf with all that oil being thrown onto the land .. utter utter destruction once again, not that it already isn't .. God Bless and we pray Mother Nature will be kind to you this year ..

May 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Becky

Thank you SO MUCH for coming to Nashville! I'm a teacher here, and we've had so many students and families devastated, we are struggling to figure out what "normal" looks like now. Please keep Nashville on your radar! AC 360 is the reason why I watch CNN!

May 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

NOLA estimates that 16,000-26,000 gallons of 11,000,000 are left. That means 99.997% is gone. Why the glass half empty report? Most species have recovered 100%.

May 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. LeRoy A.

Anderson, with the mounds of trash, wet carpet , furniture, other household items and wet personal items. I would like to see Waste
    Management step up to the plate and help the people of Nashville to help cart off the trash. Just like power companies who travel out of state to assist with restoring power back.
    Anderson please make that plea to Waste Management to help the people and local govt in Nashville, TN.
    Thanks for the informed reporting.

May 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Sue

So much oil is STILL in the PW Sound? Wow! I was not aware of that.

May 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Sue

@Jo Ann, I hope so. I appreciate the strength that is obvious. I have never been to Nashville, but we as family decided today that we will make a trip soon.

May 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Vicki

Anderson – Where is the huge two hour telethon for the people of our own country?! Why isn't Clooney setting up a Nashville telethon for tomorrow like he did when the earthquake in Hati happened?! They should pull together for our own American citizens. My prayers are with Nashville.

May 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Tammy

I attend the CMA Fest every year (14 of the last 17). Nashville is such a vibrant city with the most amazing people! It's hand's down my favorite U.S. city! My heart goes out to all the victims of the flood. I plan to attend the Fest next month, and hope to be able to volunteer while there where needed..... clean up, pounding nails, whatever is needed! I'll also be arriving with as many clothes as the airlines will let me put in my bags for the people who don't have anything left. Would love to start a movement to get everyone coming to the Fest to bring a suitcase filled with clothing, bedding, etc for those who have lost everything!

May 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Katherine Campbell

Hi Anderson,

It was great to meet you today! You are doing a fantastic job with the Nashville coverage, and it was interesting to see Betty Bell, my neighbor, on your show. 🙂

I hope you will remember to talk about getting the national animal rescues into Tennessee, as you said you would; they need to be "invited" by one of the federal agencies before they can come and help, and we really need them here!

Thank you so much for covering Nashville's floods, and for letting those outside of Tennessee know that most people affected were never told or expected to need flood insurance: we are not people who ignored warnings, or built our houses and our lives on "hazardous ground."

Katherine

May 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Cheryl Debes

There was another '500 year flood' in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, just two springs ago. The downtown of that city is only now beginning to recover ... it's an amazing story and a testament to what a community can achieve on its own and with the help of people who care from around the nation. Best wishes for Nashville and the other towns of Tennessee and neighboring states that have been descimated by the flood waters. Never fear: Earth will abide.

May 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Phyllis Kiefer

Thanks, Anderson, for finally coming to Nashville and admitting the media dropped the ball on the story this one (better late than never!). I have a suggestion: You might want ask one Nashville's meteorologists to describe the storm that produced the massive amount of rain in a 48-hour period and why so many areas flooded that normally wouldn't.

Also, please note that although Nashville has devastating damage, some of the worst damage was in surrounding counties where entire homes were washed away and people died; for example, the Qualls family (father and daughter) in Linden, Tennessee, in Perry County, as well as countless other stories.

Thanks again, Anderson!

May 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Sharon Hastings

I am so hoping that the dome will work and I hope they can do it soon. I'm sure the oil has already damaged so much. It's too awful to think about all the fish and wildlife that will be lost. I feel so bad for the fisherman too. The economy is bad enough without this catastrophe.

May 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Sue, "This seems like they are still in shock or in their 'high' after the big shock."

Yes, I understand, but I think it is the character of the people that pulls them together to help each other. They don't sit back and cry about it waiting for the government to step in to help.

You see it in Nashville even though they are not used to flooding, especially at this horrific level.

May 6, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Sue

Yes AC, you are totally right. Alaska – the spill was captive. This spill is going to get all over the place. This is 5-6 times the size of the Prince William sound... and near the sensitive areas. Also the weather is heating up.. and we have the hurricanes to think about.

May 6, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Mary P

I'm glad Nashville is being covered, but there are smaller counties with less resources that are struggling even more than Nashville. Too bad they couldn't get some attention too. Things are very bad in Hickman County, with a lot of people still without power and almost everyone without water.

May 6, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"No city is too great; we all could use a helping hand sometime!" Nashville, you have a great recovery. You are not gotten!

May 6, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Sue

Anderson, that amount of oil spread in the ocean - seems odd. It is more likely to rise up as one big blob.. unless injected with the detergent. I hope they are not still doing that.

May 6, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Beth

Thank you Anderson! Thank you for helping us and helping our AMAZING city of Nashville TN!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Nikki McCullen

Anderson,
    Thank you so much for covering this devastating loss here in our state. It is heartbreaking to say the very least; but as you mentioned we are the "Volunteer" state and the people here in our community have pulled together incredibly.
    I most especially appreciate your coverage on Danny Tomlinson, the young man still missing in Bellevue. He is a very dear friend of ours from high school who means so much to his family and friends. I have witnessed so many of those close to him physically go out and assist in the search and provide support to their family; it is truly amazing. We are still hoping and praying for a miracle rescue.
    Your story is truly raising awareness of how desperately our communities need help right now; helping families get back on their feet, searching for those who remain missing, and building a community again.
    Thank you again; we truly appreciate it.
    Nikki McCullen

May 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  45. donnie

where was flood plane before tva

May 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Thank you Gary Tuchman and Martin Savidge for giving that perspective, esp what Gary was saying about flooding in other areas of the country, is should be acknowledged that the Nashville are is not accustomed to that regular flooding.

But the impact is to families and households. It's such an important story because it gets the word out that help is needed and helps people to think about protecting their own homes.

May 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Katie

Thanks, Anderson, for finally getting CNN to cover the flood. My family up north had no idea how bad it was for us here.

May 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Robert

I found out about the initial rain fall in the Nashville area via Twitter! Waited and waited for the mainstream media to "pick up the story". I have spent time in Nashville and remain saddened and shocked by what has happened to that wonderful community.

May 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Sue

@Jo Ann, Yes, you are right. I do recall that. But it did fade out as that flood was long-drawn and much much wider geographic area. It was not as fast rising... and they are used to floods.. This seems like they are still in shock or in their 'high' after the big shock. You know what I am saying?

May 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@nancyinoregon, "I'm afraid to ask-any news on the wildlife in the Gulf?"

Great question! I heard that the oil had gotten thicker near the Chandeleur Islands. I hope they can contain it.

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |