May 6th, 2010

Nashville After the Flood: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Anderson reports live from Nashville where residents are cleaning up after a historic flood. Plus, NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor accused of rape and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Nashville is to be complimented for taking carte of business without any apparent federal help, and no scenes of looting like NOLA.

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Hunter

Just so there's no confusion, I just wanted to say that the clips AC 360 is showing of the telethon aren't exactly live. Perhaps, I missed the part where Anderson said they were not live.

Right now the donations are up to: $1,447,643.

Thanks.

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Good evening everyone,
    I am sorry that I cannot see the show tonight. CNN Europe is still covering the UK election.

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  4. The Wright's

Please don't forget all the small towns and communities that were also flooded. Like Waverly TN who's schools were flooded and classes have been canceled for the rest of this school year. And Erin TN who was hit very hard. Please keep all the flood victims in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you!

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Jae

Nashville, the greatest city in the world.....the city I have come to know and love, filled with honky tonks and great southern hospitality, will bounce back from this. I have never seen a community pull together and help others the way they have with this flood. I am proud to be a Nashvillian......thanks Anderson for telling out story!

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Steven

I hope all gets better soon..... hope everyone finds all there belonging.. it is sad to hear all of this.

May 6, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Rashidah

Hi Anderson,
    If you get a chance please come to Clarksville, we are 45minutes away from Nashville. Fort Campbell Army base is here, the flooding affecting lots of soldiers as well as the Riverside Drive area of Clarksville. If you can't stop, then just fly over, I know the soldiers would appreciate it. Thanks.

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Sue

Please don't forget the people in Dyersburg, Tennessee.

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Gigi-Nashville

We still have only one water treatment plant up and running but we could run out of treated water if the other plant isn't repaired soon. I think we all know at least 2 or more that lost everything here. Thanks for coming here to let everyone know we will are an awesome community even during a disaster.

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  10. debbie c

Anderson,
    Thank you for taking responsiblity in stating that you feel the media has been late or light with its coverage of this unique disaster, but kudos to you for caring enough to come to Nashville. I'm now an Atlanta native after 25 yrs in Nashville. You have done such a nice job of conveying the unique spirit of little big town-Nashville. Thank you and God bless you.

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Wilhelmina

I'm a native Nashvillian (for 56 years! proudly) but now live in an adjoining county (Cheatham)...thank you, Anderson, for highlighting the plight of many here – just a reminder, however, that at least 10 counties in the midstate have been declared federal disaster areas – rural areas with much poverty and not the resources that Nashville can command..these people need prayers and assistance, as well...

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Sue

Anderson, Assuming that the containment dome thing works to cap the leaky oil rig... what next? How will they permanently cap it? Will the containment dome further complicate the long-term solution? I think it might.

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  13. nancyinoregon

I'm afraid to ask-any news on the wildlife in the Gulf?

May 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Janice

The devastation is beyond belief. In the Bellevue, TN community alone, hundreds of homes have been destroyed and families displaced. Sadly, this isn't isolated to one area, flooding is all across the Middle Tennessee area and in other parts of TN and KY impacting thousands. Many counties have been declared disaster areas. I applaud AC360 for bringing attention to this historical disaster.

May 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Sue, "much stronger than what I have seen in other disaster-stricken areas."

I seem to remember the same type of strength and bravery during the midwest flooding in 2008.

May 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Melissa Irvin

@Sue

Tennessee Govenor Phil Bredsen requested the President Obama declae 52 counties in the state as federal disasters – currently 27 of those counties have been approved. Flooding in greater Nashville area in Davidson county went as far north as suburbs of Goodlettsville and as far south as Antioch.

May 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. FEMAPat

Hi Anderson! Just to let you know – we've got mobile DRC's on their way to Nashville and Memphis. FEMA's rolling! Keep up the good work!

May 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Michelle P

Hey Anderson! Thanks for coming to Nashville. I know many people who have lost everything in the flood – both in the wealthier and poorer neighborhoods. Thanks for giving us a spotlight. My prayers are with everyone in my city.

May 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Rebecca

Thank You Anderson!! Finally someone is bringing the attention to where it needs to be Nashville!! My husband and I honeymooned there and we are so saddened by this. Prayers to Nashville!! Working on coming down to help cleanup!

May 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Jacklyn

The attention of the national media (or lack thereof) has certainly been noticeable. It, however, does not seem to be due to a deluge of other more important news. If our citizens were running rampant and looting at any opportunity, it absolutely would have been considered newsworthy. I am so proud of this community and its efforts to take care of each other!

May 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Janet

God bless the people in Nashville, one of the most beautiful cities I have had the pleasure of visiting. My prayers are with you as you come back from the devastation and rise up to meet the challenges.

May 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Nicole The Netherlands

Hello Everyone! So good that Anderson and Gary went to Nashville!!
    watching live stream on the web from europe (cnn int. is on uk election)

May 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Jennifer from Nashville

Thank you Anderson for covering the floods in Nashville. The national media has neglected to show much coverage. I applaud you for taking the time to visit the area and see for yourself the devastation that has taken place. Thank you for talking with Danny Tomlinson's family and telling his story. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the rescue workers who are looking for him. Thanks to all the volunteers who have helped those in need. There are truly angels walking among us.

May 6, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Daniele

Thank you for bringing attention to the flooding in Middle TN. I realize Nashville gets more attention because it it the Music City, but please remember there are other counties that are suffering as much or more. The Cumberland river in Clarksville, TN is not expected to return to below flood stage until Saturday night.

May 6, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Sue

GREAT coverage on Nashville. Thank you Anderson Cooper and Gary Tuchman!

May 6, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  26. nancyinoregon

I'm really not sure it's anyone's fault that news media folks couldn't focus on the floods sooner....no one can control it when several big things happen at once. Things just don't always happen in a void and get star-billing because of it. It's gotta be frustrating to news people too sometimes...they can only do so much at one time, and do justice to any of it.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Rebecca

Thank You for broadcasting in Nashville. Keep it up! Tennessee is a great state, they deserve to be helped just like how everyone came to the rescue of Haiti.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Sue

They are very brave – much stronger than what I have seen in other disaster-stricken areas. Perhaps because it was a short period.. and then gone.. but the NEED IS HUGE. I hope people pitch in with clean up and 'rebuild'.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Monica

attn: Bobby, Loretta Lynn's place is ok. The gift store got water in it and the dude ranch will need somework but not too bad. This was on one of the stations a couple days ago.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Sue R. Canton Mi.

The one thing I love about in our great country is how most people come together and rise above when disaster hits. It's amazing how the people just banned together and instantly helped one another.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Sandy ;enkins

Thank you for the coverage. So many people need help, today and next month. Please stay with them. Keep them in your news coverage and prayers.
    Come back and report the recovered city in a few months !

May 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Kelly Pleskunas

Thank you Mr. Cooper for mentioning the animals and that woman who wanted to find her lab, Ben. So many times we forget that an animal is as important as a family menber. It brought me to taers.

May 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  33. suzanne

I hope they find ben my prayers r with them all

May 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Starr, formerly known as vincent, "As always, Gary Tuchman is giving us another excellent report."

Gary is the hardest working journalist in the business!

May 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Mary

I'm very sorry about what happened to nashville and Tenn I want to know where the National Guard is? Where are the people who were in a hurry to go and help Hati and Chili but not Nashville. That Is terriable how they will rush to help Other Countries but not our own. What is this country coming too. Thank God for Brad Basiley and TIm McGraw and Faith Hill. and other Entertainers............

May 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Kathy

Please remember our autism community in Nashville. The devastation is terrible for everyone that has been affected by the floods. Prayers to everyone in the great city of Nashville and the surrounding communities. You are not alone!

May 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  37. mike hendershot

thank you for stepping up and giving us the coverage we deserved! we here in nashville appreciate it!

May 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Lisa

Thank you Anderson and 360 team for giving Nashville the attention they deserve. This is a horrible situation and I hope they get all the help they need. It is wonderful to see how they come together as a community to help each other!! Our prayers are with all of you!!

May 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Debbie

It's great that you showed some attention on Nashville, but plz don't forget about the other counties. We all have lost alot plz don't forget.

Thanks

May 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Mark Penfield

Do they need help from other States? I live in Conneaut, Ohio and I am unemployed and if I can get there I will come to help somehow!
    I was in Nashville when I was about 18 or 19 years old And it was so beautiful.

May 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Christine New York

Mother nature can sometimes be cruel. God bless all effected by this devastation! Also I hope Ben reunites with his family!

May 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  42. walter schultz (Nashville)

A ton of people are without homes and without flood insurance. They've lost everything to a fluke disaster. But true to form, insurance companies take people's hard earned dollars monthly and when it's needed, look away. It sickens me. Sure Obama declared it a disaster, but get real. How much do you think these people are REALLY going to get?

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

It is disturbing that there is a recovery search still going on.

The death toll is already too high.

As always, Gary Tuchman is giving us another excellent report.

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Melissa Irvin

I'm glad CNN & Anderson Cooper physically travelled to Nashville to see the extent of the damage with their own eyes. Please remember more than half the state has been affected though and, that with over a billion dollars in damages, recovery will take a long time. Americans: PLEASE continue to visit our state – revenue from tourism will play a major part in bringing the area back to life.

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Amanda Walton

My prayers and condolences to those who have lost so much, my admiration how you always come together and overcome ..

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Hinda

Thank you Anderson for being there. It is very hard for me to watch this sitting comfortable at home when people are struggling and have lost so much. It was very touching hearing from the Ben (the dog) 's owner. She was so hopeful and smiling but i could tell how much she was hurting. Sending strength to all flood victims.

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Anne

Thank you Anderson for bringing this disaster in our own country to our attention. I had no idea it was this bad and it upsets me terribly that we run to the aid of every natural disaster in other countries but are slow to move or help our own people. Shame on the media for not giving this the coverage it deserves. Thank you Kenny Chesney for getting the media to Nashville.

May 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Tim

Thanks Anderson for helping get the word out that Nashvlle and the surrounding communities need your help. We still have people in the adjacent cities that are needing tremendous help so spread the word.

May 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Sue

Anderson, How large (acreage-wise) is the area affected in Nashville? How many houses affected? Thanks

May 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Cynthia Kugle

My brother lives in Bordeaux in Nashville. He lost everything in the flood. He is living in the Shriners shelter and has nothing to go back to. Why does it seem like they are only covering stories in the rich neighborhoods of Nashville?

May 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |