May 5th, 2010

Nashville Under Water: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, breaking news on the flooding in Nashville. Police going door-to-door today making survivors have what they need. At least 9 deaths in the city, 19 across the state. We'll have the latest. Plus, the latest developments on the Times Square bomb suspect. His suspected ties to Pakistan and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Wow, for a change I agree with Maher. Islam is practiced very differently than Christianity.

May 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

We need to stop fooling ourselves about Islam and look at it realistically without the limitations of political correctness.

May 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Judy

Bravo, Anderson! I've never been a CNN fan, but now I'm an Anderson Cooper fan! Thank you for the story tonight and for coming to Nashville! Our beautiful city and people are devastated, and while we are great at helping each other, the cost to repair/rebuild is overwhelming! We need help from fellow Americans!

May 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Mike

bill maher is a good dude. I share some of the same views that he does. But I am my own man.

May 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  5. nancyinoregon

I love Maher....he's right about so much of the defensiveness of Islam.

May 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Emily

Has anyone said that this has something to do with the South Park episode that aired?
    That's one thing that I wondered when I her this...

May 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Rahul

Haha .. Bill Maher .. cool 🙂

May 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Enzo

I never pictured the fact that any person could get a firegun that easy in the states....

May 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Emily

I'm not getting Bill Maher....is he suggesting that because this guy left the country for a # of months, (less than a year), that this should have been a clue?
    I have a friend, who went back to her country that she & her husband came from (China) to look after her mother, who was dying of Alzheimer's. She passed away after four months and she returned.
    Does that mean someone should have been looking for her?

May 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy – I agree with you completely about the animal stories. They are important in the world too!

@Mike – thanks for your post. I was attempting a little "tongue in cheek" statement.

May 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Cessy - Chicago

Bill Maher is funny.

May 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Sue R. Canton Mi.

Love listening to Bill Maher sometimes. Don't always agree with him,,,,but his humor makes a lot of sense .He's so funny.

May 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Miranda Huntington Beach CA

I love you too anderson @andersoncooper still proud. bill maher im still laughing hysterically damn plane 🙂

May 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@charlie, There are a lot more rigs in the Gulf (4000) than the North Sea (570). If so, it's logical that there are more accidents.

May 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am no longer a fan of Maher's, but he is right, religion can screw with your head. Especially if someone is weak and needy.

May 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Vickie

Anderson! We've been waiting for you to show us some love in Nashville! Not sure why Nashville has not been given some well deverved attention but grateful that someone has finally noticed! Thanks!

May 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Mary Anne Rhodes

I ran Nashville's country music half marathon in 2007 which gave me the opportunity to see this lovely city and its' historic sites by foot. There's very few places on the globe that have the warmth and hospitality of the people here. Please continue to cover their stories on the floodings there.

May 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  18. gisele

Bill Maher is awesome! I love this guy.

May 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Sue

Hi Josh, Thanks for joining in. Glad to read your well-grounded perspective. You are stronger than me! Well, I hope that water recedes fast!

May 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson!
    Love Bill. He is so funny.

May 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Nicole The Netherlands

Thanks for the interview with Bill Mahor!

May 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Emily

@Sue,
    I agree!
    Crazy indeed!!! There are people that can't buy guns who are not terrorists...wow! that's very surprising.
    Something needs to be done about that.

May 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Bill Maher is more serious than funny. Humor is an effective way to get people to listen to subjects they wouldn't otherwise want to know about or would take the time to learn about, whent hey really should.

May 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Karoline, Los Angeles

I think Maher has something with his guilty for liking America terrorist theory.

But another thought I had was how this guy could have a nice job and a nice house when so many of us cannot. Someone please explain that. That, IMO, is even worse than his ability to buy guns.

May 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  25. charlie

@ Starr. They are not a terrorist until they are convicted but people should not be allowed to own guns period.

May 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Sharon Hastings

Please, let's use common sense here. If the list itself is part of the problem, fix it. Then don't sell anyone on the watch list any firearms. Of course they can still purchase most other items needed to make bombs. And as far as the "no fly list". It's only any good if people check it like they are supposed to.

May 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is really disgusting the way the MSM is trying to turn this terrorist traitor into a victim.

May 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Josh

As a Nashville resident I would like to commend our community. We've seen much lost in the last few days, but nothing has been lost to the greed of another, only the uncontrollable force of nature. While the tragedy is real, daily we are seeing in this city how people can love people at the worst of times. Thank you for showing the world our struggle and strength.

May 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Sue

Anderson, That picture of Shahzad and his wife – looks like they are in front of a church. He looks happy.

May 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Starr, if someone on the watch list hasn't committed a crime and isn't diagnosed as mentally incapable, they are just lie everyone else as far as their rights.

May 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jennifer,
    Welcome! 🙂

Yes bloggers!!!!
    we do love Bill Maher, I love his interview with Anderson! 🙂

May 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Sue

@Cessy – Chicago, Likewise! I dont think he acted alone. That looked way too well planned and orchestrated. What with dry run and all. Unbelievable!

May 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@nancyinoregon, I was so glad to hear Gary mention the animals yesterday. You are right a lot of humans do give them "bottom-rung rankings," that is so wrong! They are the most innocent and helpless among us in situations like this.

May 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Emily

@Nancy,
    It seems so....No one was talking about him...there is so much going on, these two weeks alone, w/the capture of the suspected Times Square Terrorist, and the natural disaster in Nashville & what's ongoing with BP. I think that it was very odd for him to resurface. Just my opinion.

May 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Andy, Providence,RI

I wonder if it is so important to educate the viewers about all investigative tools used in terror cases. Does it not educate the next terrorist.

May 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Michael Armstrong Sr.

A five year probation list for all new documented Americans would be a start to weapons .

May 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Mike

if 8 year old james robinson is a terrorist then I don't know who is

May 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  38. charlie

@ Mike (Syracuse) You are right it cannot be perfectly safe but compare safety records and regulations. Apart from hurricanes, the Gulf is one of the easier major offshore drilling locations but they have more accidents than the north sea.

May 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Becky Clark Carter

Anderson,
    On behalf of the thousands of those suffering here in Nashville and Tennessee in an unprecedented flood crisis, I want to thank you and let you know you are our hero. We have felt abandoned by our country while thousands around us are being plunged into homelessness and destitution on an unfathomable level. You have been a faithful prophetic voice to stir compassion for so many. We can't thank you enough.

May 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I've been waiting for this report on guns & terrorists.

Indeed, you can't have guns if you are a criminal, or especailly mentally ill.

So terrorists are Not criminal or mentally distrubed?! I Think Not!

May 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Sue

That crazy! They can buy guns????!!!!! WOW!!

May 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Cessy - Chicago

a "dry run" for a terrorist attack?
    I still don't buy that F. Shazad acted alone.

May 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sea Lion is doing well, Emily, now it go to back to place where it from, It is safe now. Awww, Thing is so cute mammal.

May 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Karoline, Los Angeles

HI everyone, I wonder why this suspect is so happy to cooperate? But the attempted bombing makes no sense either so it's pretty foolish to think any of this will make sense.

May 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. nancyinoregon

And speaking of animals, I'm so glad you treat them as part of the world, Anderson. They are....but lots of humans give them bottom-rung ranking.

May 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Sue

Anderson, Why is BP's (or for that matter, any oil company's) liability CAPPED by a legislation?? Which other industry enjoys this privilege... which is bound to be at the expense of taxpayers eventually?

May 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Joanne Taglieri

Thank you Anderson for making the Nashville floods your top/1st story on the show tonight. More importantly, by your going there on Thursday and broadcasting live you will bring this tragedy (hopefully) to everyone's attention. Please report on the lives lost and how the people in Nashville & TN pulled together to help. There was no looting in the streets – just people helping people. Come on media (other networks) get to Nashville/TN and start reporting NOW...!!!!

May 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  48. David, Indiana

I'm not surprised there is co-opting of MMS by the oil industry. I am surprised that they're partying together.

Douglas Brinkley is right there are around a thousand oil rigs in the gulf I heard Sen Landrieu explaining to John King so the need to closely and effectively regulate that drilling is immediate and urgent necessity.

May 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Rand from spokane

If you spill oil on the floor you clean it up with a powder or sawdust which turns the liquid to a solid and cleans up quickly. Why can't something like that work on a large scale.

May 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Alicia Guadagno

It is time! Thank you Anderson, I knew if anyone it would be U that would cover all of us around the Nashville area and all us collectively and welcome you here with open arms to share our story. Yes this is a story that does cross many classes but hits so close to home and deserves to be heard and by the best. Thank you Anderson Cooper!!!

May 5, 2010 at 10:37 pm |