May 5th, 2010

Nashville Under Water: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, breaking news on the flooding in Nashville. Police going door-to-door today making survivors have what they need. At least 9 deaths in the city, 19 across the state. We'll have the latest. Plus, the latest developments on the Times Square bomb suspect. His suspected ties to Pakistan and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Oh Nashville, I hope no more lives are loss in the flooding. Please be carefull!"

Things look So bad there! I saw how the flooding was up to the 3rd floor of some of the homes! Wow, that is terrible...

May 5, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  2. nancyinoregon

I agree, Emily....this fellow is a little disturbed I think.

May 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Sue

Sorry Anderson, something about Bill Maher rubs me the wrong way! LOL

May 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Starr, Thanks, it is easy to find that is why I don't understand why the MSM has not confronted them about it.

May 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

I'm glad you family in TN are physically okay.

Believe it or not, i have recently applied for flood ins. due to the recent advertisements out here about flood ins. And, i live in high desert!
    However, as i have been informed, floods can happen almost anywhere.

May 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Emily

Things are really out of control in Greece!

What a cute animal! 🙂

May 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Michael Armstrong Sr.

With oil we have made a deed with the devil and need to find a way out .

May 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Sue

Nashville grips my heart. Very sad.

May 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  9. nancyinoregon

I do too Miranda! Love Maher.

May 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  10. charlie

Beyond the lunacy of Brown's comments, even his premise is bizarre. Europe has much higher costs per gallon of gasoline some due to safety costs, some tax and others. The result is a similar cost per mile driven thanks to more fuel efficienvy, less cardon pollution, quality jobs providing the safety measures AND a vibrant alternative energy industry with more high quality jobs. Denmark leads that industry, despite its oil industry.

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360 Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Nancy, David & Isabel, Starr, Megan, Nicole, Gloria, Casey & Bloggers.

I just saw a clip of the interview with Brown, & I have no idea why he came back out in the media. What did he have to offer?

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Sue

Good Evening Anderson! Joining in late today but have been watching your show! I read earlier today that BP has been a big donor to the many in the administration. Hope you cover that also. Our administration (both parties) has been asleep at the wheels in regard to both oil and coal industries!

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Mike

if your on terror watch list you shouldn't be able to buy a gun. I'm just saying if they need to put you on a list and they also need to follow you to make sur you don't hurt america. ( I don't think you should have a gun ) I'm just saying

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  14. lisal -canada

curious to see what bill's comments on the topics-du-jour are.

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  15. nancyinoregon

People sure can latch onto disasters as 'proof' of conspiracies, etc. Please don't give Mr. Brown anymore airtime. That might just fuel his hunger for validation.

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Chad H.

I live in the Bellevue area of Nashville, one of the hardest hit areas in Nashville. Thankfully, my house escaped the huge damages many are experiencing, but I'd estimate I've incurred around $20,000 or so dollars worth of uninsured loss. I don't live in a flood plane, but still wound up with around 5 feet of water in my garage and lower level of my house. I consider myself lucky, but finding the money to repair is going to be a challenge.

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I still don't understand why Anderson thinks what Brown said was so important. He has no authority.

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Nicole The Netherlands

The U.S. should watch Shell company, they are doing not so well in Nigeria

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Lisa Slate

We have had federal response, FEMA is here and working with Mayor Karl Dean and Governor Phil Bredeson. Six counties have already been declared a national disaster and another 40+ are in the process.

The Red Cross is here and they have been wonderful and are taking donations and to provide bottle water and the basics that people need right now.

Hands on Nashville is one of our local volunteer organizations and locals have been signing up and volunteering through them. Others have just gone to a neighborhood and helped the community clean out their homes. We welcome any assistance as there is much to be done.

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Danae Mathias

Love Bill Maher! He is my kind of truth – never holds back!

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Sue R. Canton Mi.

I still feel the cost of this oil mess is going to be passed down to we the people.

May 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Chaney, La.

Hey Anderson. Love all your guests tonight..... and the gun thing m,akes no sense. Cant anyone just walk into a Gun Show and buy a gun?

May 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Miranda Huntington Beach CA

Yay Bill Maher I freaking love this guy 🙂 Im so happy right now.

May 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

You can't regulate a 100% safe world. There needs to be a tradeoff of cost vs. risk. There have been over 150,000 years of well operation in the Gulf since 1930 with just 2 accidents. What else has been so safe?

May 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I also disagree with Michael Brown's comment, He had no idea what he was talking about oil spill disaster! And I also agree with his experience professer said.

May 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Karen A, Nashville

Thank you! It has been so frustrating here in Nashville to know how very bad things are, and realize that no one knows. People are just starting to call from out of state to check on relatives, and all they say is "I had no idea it was that bad! The news didn't say!" Well, it IS that bad. The late response by the media is welcome, even though it is late, we need all the help we can get! We may run out of fresh water soon in Davidson County.

May 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@ oAnn, N Royalton, OH

Excellent post on what BP stated about no damage to ecosystem.

May 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It makes no sense of the Brown's theory. No one benifits from an oil spill!

May 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Jennifer Bryant

@ Megan – thank you for your support and concern!

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Mike

AC didn't pull any punches yesterday when dealing with michael brown. Brown said Obama wanted the spill to happen on foxnews but on AC360 he was like i didn't say it like that. Come on son, Obama would never want nothing like this to happen on his watch

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Catherine Los Angeles

I admire Anderson for being neutral during the Michael Brown interview. I remember oil spills and oily birds in California back in the 70s. It's sad when history repeats itself. =(

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Tricia

My heart goes out to the folks in Tennessee. My comment, however, is about Michael Brown. Wat...Isn't this the same guy who was in charge when New Orleans went underwater? You're doing a heck of a job "Brownie". Come on, isn't he calling the kettle black. We just need doer's in this country, not critics of the Administration.

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This Brown guy is a loose canon and not terribly bright–a volatile combination. He's still bitter over the fallout of his dismal performance and it seems he's now trying to get even. Not terribly credible.

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  34. lisal -canada

sounds like there is a whole separate set of rules for the some of the oil and gas (and other) big players – guess they don't want to play in the same sandbox as everyone else. i feel sorry for anyone who gets caught up in that game.

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Well, claiming this is a plot is just nuts on 'Brownie's' part. But it's certainly true that opponents are using this big time to stop future drilling.

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Charlie

Thank you Anderson. I am so glad that Nashville is getting this coverage. Please don't forget the other cities and towns in Tennessee. The floods and tornados extended from Memphis to Nashville. It is really Tennessee under water, with Nashville being the worst.

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Rand from spokane

Hi, folks,

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Lindsey

I am so thankful that our situation is finally being noticed. Thank you Mr. Cooper for deciding to cover this story.
    Hands on Nashville and the American Red Cross are two organizations anyone may contact to obtain details on how he/she may help.
    Thank you everyone for remembering us in our time of need. 🙂

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Tracy

As a Nashville resident, that you everyone for your prayers and and aid you may have provide to my city... The sad part is most of the major losses are of homes and business' that were unable to purchase insurance because they were said "not to be in a flood plain"... I think it is sad that insurance companies block people from purchasing flood insurance if they choose to do so...

Please continue to remember those displaced by the flood... The photos I have seen are mind boggling. Donations, food, clothes, and even prayers are appreciated.

Tennessee is the Volunteer state and has already seen huge support not so much from outer resources but from native Tennesseeans.

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Amanda Brown

Thank you Anderson for finally bringing some attention to Nashville. It's amazing how our community has banded together to support eachother through this tragedy.

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  41. nancyinoregon

I agree...he's a wounded person and sounds like one.

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Tonya Lutcavich

Thank you for finally paying attention to Nashville.. It seemed to alot of us since there wasn't looting or violence here, that we weren't going to get any real coverage.
    And I'm not sure where the person lives that said the flooding wasn't that bad.. But, it is...People have lost lives, businesses, houses. And there are rumors of a clean water shortage. I think that makes it very bad

May 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Claus

@Michael Armstrong Sr.
    Very true and not what we need.

May 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. tanyia

Anderson you should not even waste your time with Michael Brown. It clear to everyone that he does not know what he is talking about.

May 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Starr, formerly known as vincent

The oil industry, much like Wall St. has way too much money and little effective regulation.

I'm not at all surprised at the corruption being reported.

It seems that when certain companys, corporations, etc. have Way, way too much money, their moral and ethical code goes out the window.

May 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Pamela (Franklin, TN)

Good evening Anderson. Thank you so much for bringing national attention to our disaster here in Middle TN. As Kenny Chesney stated, so many people have lost absolutely everything. We welcome you to our great city tomorrow. Thank you again for bring much needed media attention to our historic flood.

May 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  47. nancyinoregon

Mr. Brown....oh dear, not him again!

May 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Renee

Thank you for spending the first 10 minutes of your show on Nashville!! We appreciate it!! Thanks to KC too – great interview about what is happening in our beloved city! See you tomorrow!

May 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Chaney, La.

Sounds like MMS needs a good clean out. This catastrophe is a prime example of what happens when the rules are ignored or slackened. Being from Louisiana I know that the oil/gas industry is / has been given a free pass...for decades.

May 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Mike

my heart goes out to all those who lost their love ones and I know with a little help they will be able to get back some of what they lost

May 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm |