April 27th, 2010

Goldman Sachs Grilled: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the Goldman grilling on Capitol Hill. Democrats and Republicans roasting company executives late into the night.The charges? Selling investors what one Senator called crap. The current and former executives say they've done nothing wrong. Plus, remembering the hero who saved a stranger's life.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

@David, Indiana,

I hope that you are correct about people calling anonymous tip lines, etc.
    I'd hate to think that there is no one out not helping.

April 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I think it was homeless rushed to stop him stabbed woman and helped her safety right away, Now he died. too late to help him for many hours. 🙁

April 27, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Susan, NJ

I've come to believe that most people aren't conditioned to stop and help someone. On the other hand a blogger friend's father was murdered in Tuscon last week by a homeless man he had taken in. The man came to her father's business and shot him in front of his employees.

April 27, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly known as vincent

God bless the man who sacrificed his life for that woman.

And for the people who ignored him, or maybe even didn't know what was going on, i hope they feel some shame. And if they do, perhaps they can take that shame and use it to help others in the name of the man who died.

In death, this man will have an impact on many of us to do good by others in his name and memory.

April 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Emily

It's great that Hugo still have it in him to think of others despite being down on his luck, he was willing to help out that woman!

He did in fact die a hero!
    RIP Hugo.

April 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This story about the stabbed man is very, very sad.

April 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Nicole The Netherlands

Thankyou AC360 and Sanjay!!!! for doing this piece on "who was the man left to die", I am sorry Hugo that you died this way, so sorry

April 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. sheila

i watched your show tonight and dr phil was on and topic was obesity in america,
    high cost of medine

well my thoughts are :

how are the low income familes suppose to eat healthy ?
    most fruits and vegs are only good for a couple dyays, and they buy their food monthly...some cities they don't even have access to healthy fruit etc as there are no grocery stores availble in their neighborhood, example...detroit
    if you can answer the age old question on how to buy healthy on a very low income monthly, and high costs, low employment, then maybe we can solve this problem
    thats why these families live off can food like beefaroni, spagheti o's etc, they cant even afford milk

April 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Sharon...The food pyramid of the 60s and 70s consisted of fat, salt, and sugar. I'm amazed I survived that diet and am here to type this.

April 27, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Cessy - Chicago

Man left to die: gives me chills...so sad.

April 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

Thank you for that explanation of what is going on with Brett Michaels. I am wishing him a full and complete recovery.

@Emily My guess is people in neighborhoods dealing with extensive violent crime want all the help they can get. They may be using anonymous tip lines or websites to seek help.

April 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Emily

Wow, what was it like standing in that spot Sanjay?

April 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Susan, NJ

At my son's school the overbearing principle told the kids they couldn't run at recess, everyone had to just walk in big circles – just like a prison yard.

April 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I feel like i'm going to sound like my mother, but with so much starvation in the world, our fat citizens do not help our global image.

@Sonya- thanks for your remarks

April 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Emily

Who was the woman that he saved that never called 911?

April 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

Now in many school systems there is no P.E. When I was a kid we were outside being active all the time, walking, biking, just playing. No one that I grew up with was clinically obese. It was very rare to see a really overweight child. We ate pretty well but we burned it up.

April 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sue,
    I remember this time, I took junk many times, but I was almost sick my life since 13 yrs old. I never eat any junk anymore, I can eat healthy food than junk food.

April 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Susan, NJ

Sonya so far that's proven to not have the intended affect on people ordering – in fact people will order the more fattening selection when presented with the information on a menu according to one study in the news.

April 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Emily

@Kenya,
    after seeing that info about those restaurants, it was enough to make me want to be a full time vegetarian!

April 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Cecil

What a "witch hunt".......Congress needs a scape goat and they have chosen Goldman Sachs. Where were our govenmental agencies that were to oversee the financial area?

April 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Susan, NJ

We have such legal absurdities in our community that the children who live directly across the street from the school, are required to take the school bus rather than walk 100 feet to the schools front door for liability reasons.

April 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Cessy - Chicago

Obesity in America: excellent and very informative segment.

April 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Starr, formerly known as vincent

WHY would someone aspire to become 1000lbs?! There is obviously a psychiatric issue at work here.

April 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Sonya

@Starr, I agree I think they should mandate that restaurants include nutritional facts on their menu.

April 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Cessy - Chicago

Dr. Gupta and Dr. Phil keeping it honest.

April 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Susan, NJ

We need to hold people accountable for their own behavior. Health Saving Accounts are scientifically proven to affect positive behavior changes if people know they can keep the money they do not have to spend on doctors.

April 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Valerie NYC

Thank you Sanjay for brining the nono topic: obesity. America is fat. Totally. Something has to be done about this.

April 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Kenya

Wow Sanjay! Way to put those restaurants on blast with their high calorie foods! 🙂

April 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Sue R. Canton Mi.

I don't recall this many people with obesity problems when I was younger. I know many thin people who survive on fast food "junk food all the time and never gain a lb. ,,,,The way food is processed now,,,can we really call it food?

April 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Emily

@Sonya,
    I'm sure that what you are saying is very true. It takes a lot of time to build these cases, and they need the witnesses and of course, they want them to say alive. I think that also is why more people who are eyewitnesses to these crimes (and are not gang members) need to speak up about what they do see and take back their streets & neighborhoods.

It's not an easy thing to do.
    It doesn't happen as quickly as a 60 min TV show. (unfortunately)

April 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Ican't believe that medicine had to make up a new diagnostic name relative to obesity!

We need much better education on nutrition, better labeling on products and in resturants. We need to come to a true understanding as to how dangerous obesity really is (and i have struggled with it all my life, but lucky enought to maintain a proper weight for my size).

@Nichole re: GS- yes they are scary and without compassion.

April 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Susan, NJ

David, they've been trying that for generations. Guiliani made it work – and Democrats called him fascist, but families were safe and criminals went elsewhere.

April 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Sonya

I need a tummy and chin tuck. If I eat more than 1000-1200 calories a day, I gain weight. I give up! Just eat a cookie and chat on anderson 360 and be happy.

April 27, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  34. dom

Allowing kids to get obese is classed as child abuse in UK why not USA ignorance in the law is no defence – Dom Tweed Ontario

April 27, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Susan, NJ

Dom – LOL – like cattle guards – that's pretty severe don't you think? now that we will all contribute to health care, I guess we can all be busybodies in other people's lives.

April 27, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Nancy in Oregon

It's sad though, too, because I don't see there is just a tolerance of fat in the country. There is also a lot of cruelty about it. I had one friend who suffered many troubles as a result of feeling ostracized because of her weight. It is a much more complex problem than 'just eat less' or 'just get active' can answer. And it should be kindly approached, I think. Shaming people does not seem kind to me. That isn't how you motivate people to be healthy in anything....weight included.

April 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Science made us fat along with unemployment .

April 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Susan, NJ

Let me tell you that my husband and I eat very lean healthy foods, and exercise. I have had 6 kids and am only 10 lbs above my college weight of 115. He has gained over 100lbs. And he's not cheating. He has a very resistant set point.

April 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's interesting what Sanjay is talking about obesity our kids, can be overweight..... I know kids have to learn their control their weight, Nice have Dr. Phil to be here or join us tonight.

April 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  40. dom

We enable this obesity, food access should be restricted and monitored and the people that bring food to someone who is clinicly bedridden should bear the full medical costs not the rest of us- better still put posts in front of fast food joints – if you cant fit thru then you cant get it lol

April 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Emily

@Megan,

It's great to have Sanjay here to answer these questions about what Michaels is going through...

April 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

A heart wrenching discussion with Dr Salzman taken together with Joe Johns report. It must take more out of the box thinking as Dr Salzman says. Somehow filling the vacuum with more family oriented life in troubled communities. Stronger enforcement, confiscating illegal weapons, making neighborhoods safer, a multipronged approach as he said.

April 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

In our society food is so intertwined with entertainment, socialization, emotional issues, and comfort. But other countries have a large focus on food too. I think it's all about "what" you eat and of course your activity level. We eat such high fat, high sugar, high salt foods. Empty calories. I agree with Dr. Phil. It's all about lifestyle and healthy living.

April 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Susan, NJ

my husband comes from a pioneer heritage – frontier living and all that. His metabolism is so much more efficient than mine, burning very few calories. If I had not lived with him for 25 years and seen how similarly we eat, and how easily he gains weight,- I wouldn't have believed it.

April 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Sonya

@Emily,

I could tell you a lot of things about witnesses, some people come forward but sometimes police cant rely on those testimonies when it come to gangs.

April 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Emily

What kind of self-esteem would someone have to have (or lack) to want to be the "fastest person in the world"?

I hope that she is not given a TV show!

April 27, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good job Tom Foreman asked a question to Sanjay about Bret Michael's brain..... And Bret is doing well I hear.

April 27, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Emily

Obesogenic?
    Is this a real word now?

April 27, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Susan, NJ

Behind every criminal is a friend, a girlfriend, a relative who knows what he's doing and enables the criminal behavior.

April 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Emily

Jelly fish are not a "cute" as some think that they are.
    They are very poisonous.