April 22nd, 2010

Immigration Battle: Protection or Profiling? Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, inside the battle over the toughest immigration law in the U.S. that could be signed in Arizona this weekend. Is it protection or profiling? We're keeping them honest. Plus, actor Dennis Quaid's mission to prevent medical mistakes after he nearly lost his twins.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Andria F, Bristol, VA

Illegal immigration is a problem but this is not the solution. Either everyone in Arizona needs to be checked out or nobody should. One skin, hair & eye color cannot define an illegal or ligitimate immigrant and should certainly not give reason to be subjected to harrassment. It should be all or nothing.

April 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Michael

Hey,

When I travel in mexico and Central America I must carry my passport (or a copy). I must buy a visa for my stay, too!
    The police and customs, check my papers and ID,I don't mind.
    When the police in the USA pull me over they ask for my ID, I better have it when driving or a big ticket. If you're not illegal you have nothing to worry about, Right!

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Don't forget watch Planet in Peril next hour after his show! 🙂

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Krasi

Can't wait for the next one hour:) Hope everyone did something nice for the planet today, or every day...

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Bob Sarles

Good going AZ. It's about time. Racial profiling? Every time you get on a airplane what' s the first thing you look for?

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Cessy - Chicago

can't wait to see Planet in Peril!

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Lori, S. California, USA!

I can not believe that you swam with great white sharks!

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, a lot of the medical mistakes can be preventable!

April 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, Anderson. Fascinating discussion, including the fact that the guests are not blasting all medical professionals.

April 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Lori, S. California, USA!

Hi Anderson. Hello Everyone! Happy Earth Day!

April 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  11. andersoncnn

evening everyone.

April 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Smith in Oregon

Giving Hepron to dissolve blood clots is certainly not 100% ever, it's a trial and test on even the best patients, for a baby such should be at best questioned as to if the medicine is worse than none. Zero deaths from Hepron, absolutely no way unless Zero Hepron is administered.

April 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Don

If the federal government would have solved the problem, the local government and citizens would not be put in the situation of trying somethiing so bold to fix it.

April 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Jennifer Burak

I never thought in this country another resident would here the words, "Show me your papers." This is the beginning of facism.

April 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Nancy in Oregon

I would never want the responsibility of being an RN or doctor. My hat is off to you starr and to all the others here who are medical folks. Truly, 'some of my best friends' are. I find that just working in that environment is risky enough for my taste....I make some kind of mistake everyday, I'm sure. Thank heavens it isn't life-threatening!

April 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  16. patrick in phoenix

the law will only give the police more power to harass anybody. Not just the Latinos .

April 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Soledad Gomez

Mr. & Mrs. Quaid's advocacy is a perfect example of how something good can come out of something so terrible.

April 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  18. rich

Whats wrong with profiling if you find criminals? What dont you get about "illegal" it says it all.

April 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Kathleen, St. Charles, IL

My son was over dosed with a medication called Somophylline in a NICU by a nurse that normally worked in the regular nursery and was not familiar with neonatal doses. This too could have killed him. I am a nurse myself and actually figured out what happened to him.
    Then years later, I stopped a dose of Potassium that was being infused in to my dad through his IV too quickly that could have killed him as well.

April 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Cessy - Chicago

one of my friends works at the hospital where this horrible incident happened. She cannot believed it happened at her workplace!

I hope the twins will grow up without any medical issues. I'm gald to hear that Mr. Quaid is using his time to get people more aware of medical errors

April 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Krasi

Yes, medicine definitely saves more lives today than years ago, but of course there are still mistakes being made.

April 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Nancy B

Health Care Reform IS a BFD! 200,000 are dying every year from medical mistakes and hardly anyone knows about it?! The only PREVIOUS reform was in preventing reasonable law suits by patients.

April 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Anderson

Good interview with a theme that needs to be further discussed by society in general. Thanks

April 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  24. austin

it's not about defending the illegal immigrants. This law will affect ANYONE who the police deem suspicious. It will affect legal residents just as much as the illegal ones. Like I said before and many others have said, this is NOT the way to solve the issue. This is racial profiling and very dumb.

April 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Sophia Garcia - Texas

I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of racial profiling but it just surprises me that "everybody" acts like AZ is doing something strange.

April 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Latanyia Bennett

This is plain old racism at its best. Anybody who knows anything about history can tell you that a similar bill was passed during slavery. The free slaves had to carry papers proving that they were actually free.

April 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Karen, MN

It is very scary to hear that so many medical mistakes are made each year.

April 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Ethel Serianni

I would like to know what suggestions the Latino communtiy, who are American Citizens, would suggest to help curtail the illegal immigration into our country. It appears to me they are more concerned about the Lantino brethern than their rights as an American citizen.

April 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Miranda Huntington Beach CA

dennis you have my support thanks for making them accountable

April 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Dennie, I wish you well with the twin.

April 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Sometimes doctors are totally reckless.

My daddy had heart disease and diabetes and a gastroenterologist has prescribed a drug that was not recommended for people w/ heart disease and diabetes, a few days before his morte.Se this had some influence, I do not think about it.

April 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. starr, formerly known as vincent

As a retired RN, i was taught that when giving meds there are rules.

1. Check the medication order, check the med & dosage amt. check the patient's name tag and check the medication & dosage again.

As an RN you are taught to complete the above procedure 3 Times in order to Not make a mistake!

April 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Smith in Oregon

Hepron is made of the same compound used for rat poisoning, causes bleeding out of any opening in the body, its very graphic and horrible to see a patient with a Hepron overdose as I HAVE IN THE PAST.

April 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

I don't have kids but I have nieces and nephews so I can semi-imagine how hard that must've been for Dennis and his wife 🙁 I can't even see my niece cry....so glad the twins are ok and doing well 🙂

April 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

I am so glad that Dennis Quaid's twins are okay. What a terrible experience and I can't imagine what they went through. There are too many medical errors. Whatever the statistics show I think you have to multiply that several times because many mistakes are never reported.

April 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Darleeta

I live here in AZ and I feel what this law is going to do is allow the police to stop you just because of the color of your skin. The same way black people were stop back in the '50 & '60. It was wrong then and it is wrong today.

April 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

I'm sorry but don't doctors/nurses read the labels to double check before administering the drug?

April 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Grace

It's time like these that I seriously start losing faith in our medical personnel. That's absolutely horrifying.

April 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Heyward

Most citizens in Arizona support this bill that speaks volumes. No one knows their cities better than the residents.

April 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Jim

I dont know what the problem would be with anyone being asked for identification to prove the are legal to be in the U.S After all it is a law one has to be a citizen,,right???Seems the only people that should have a problem with the law is the people that are breaking it..I dont see it as racial profiling,,I see it as the law being up held the way it should be..

April 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Joel Batton

If someone is in this country legally, why would they object to being stopped and questioned by law authority as to their legal status?
    As for me, please... stop me daily. I will gladly product my documents.
    Only those here ILLEGALLY would have standing to object.
    I can not get my head around the rationalization constantly put forth to ignore existing, let alone proposed laws that benefit all US citizens.

April 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Juan

Latinos can be of any race. There are many blue eyed blonde latinos
    who are children of European immigrants to countries like Argentina, Brazil, Chile, etc.

April 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Landon T-N.C.

I'm not sure if this question has been asked already, I tried to scan the others and see, But I might have missed it... My question is, how many white and black people are going to be stopped and asked to present papers of legal citizenship? And I believe the answer is none, this is racially profiling Latinos from the beginning I work with a legal Colombian, and I have not met a better person.

April 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so horrible I had watch Oil Rig so sad. Are they alive or killed? My heart goes to victim's people and family. my thoughts and prayers with them.

Wow!! That's so big tornado in Texas I have seen!!!
    And other wow! That's so cool sun!!! That is so amazing to see this. Awesome! 🙂

April 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Chuck in Thailand

In most other countries in the world, illegal immigrants are arrested and deported. In Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Thailand, China, MEXICO and most any other country I have traveled in or lived in, you must be there legally or you are arrested, jailed and then deported. Illegal immigrants in the US are provided Social Security benefits, free medical care, free schooling, food stamps, subsidized housing and free legal care when they are arrested. Stop the insanity by profiling if necessary and send them home.

April 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Eugenia - San Francisco

oh my god, did you just show a solar flare? yey anderson!

April 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. SAM

You know what, I hate that this is even happening right now, but at the same time, I have been waiting and waiting for something to happen with immigration reform so that it stops tearing apart American families. Maybe the outrage over this bill is just what the country needs to get something going with immigration reform. It's finally in the spotlight. Keep the momentum going!

April 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. johnny

I can't believe this happened on Earth day! This oil spill is going to be an environmental nightmare. I wonder what this will do, if anything, to Obama's recent decision to open up off-shore drilling.

April 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Krasi, Houston

I really hope they do not close the NASA space center here in Houston. No one cares about space exploration any more and I am afraid it is because no one cares about science in general – it is not even taught properly in schools!

April 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. angela

i disagree with the new immigration law it gives power hungry law officials the right to do whatever they want to people and get away with it because of probable cause i was arrested and embarassed in front of my nieghbors and family because i looked like someone eles latter relaesed the police said they had probable cause and ive not been the same

April 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |