April 22nd, 2010

Immigration Battle: Protection or Profiling? Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, inside the battle over the toughest immigration law in the U.S. that could be signed in Arizona this weekend. Is it protection or profiling? We're keeping them honest. Plus, actor Dennis Quaid's mission to prevent medical mistakes after he nearly lost his twins.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Paula, Colorado

It's so sad the eleven workers are still missing.

April 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Tony

this bill honestly will be a green light for racial profiling specially towards the latino community. we need and Immigration Reform. Not a law that pursues immigrants.Many just want to make a life here. and there are many that are willing to pay taxes just like every other American. It's a lie that all illegal immigrants don't pay taxes. many get an ITIN number and pay them. how ever they don't get any money back.

April 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Sam

I actually plan on moving to Arizona. I've lived in Phoenix before and loved it. I love this idea. This is protection, not profiling. Even if it is profiling, so be it, if it makes our country safer and more economically secure. No more social services for non-citizens and especially illegals.

April 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

how gorgeous is that solar flare!!!

April 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Marva

If employers of illegal immigrants were held responsible, that would solve a lot of the problem. Illegal immigrants would not come here if they could not get jobs. If an employer hires an illegal immigrant, they should be held responsible. We have a habit of trying to solve problems from the bottom up instead of the top down.

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Miranda Huntington Beach CA

the oil rig thing is sad just sad will this get approval

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Incredible pictures of the oil rig.

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Brian Fritchlee

while i dont believe in this legislationn per se, the illegal imigration problem has been ignored for decades. I don't blame states, especially border states, for this type of legislation

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Bubak Casa Grande, Arizona

on the immigration law: someone has to start somewhere, good for Arizona! I support the bill!

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. charlie

What is so strange in profiling? If the focus was on suspicion of financial crime the profile would be white, driving expensive cars, bit houses and very well dressed?

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Mark Domanski

Lets say somebody is illegal. How do we establish they are reasonably different for sombody who is here on a visa vs a green card vs naturalize or native born citizen?

We should call this legistlation what it is: racist.

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. John

Illegal (Non-documented) "immigrants" are breaking Federal Law by being here.
    Should our police not enforce all laws?
    They should also prosecute those who cheat the system by paying workers without paying income WC or SS taxes.

April 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What is with these explosions?

April 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Kim

I am frequently mistaken for hispanic or mexican decent.....if I visit family and/or friends in AZ, should I have to bring proof of my citizenship? I hope people boycott this legislation to the fullest....maybe when AZ loses income from vacationing US residents, they'll maybe reconsider this new law. Totally ridiculous!! Racial profiling gone legal is all this is Anderson!

April 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Karen, MN

Wow, that is a gigantic fire.

April 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

I hope they find the 11 missing workers. They'll be in our prayers. That is quite the dangerous job 🙁

April 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Isaac

America is slowly becoming a divided Nation. Issue after issue there is the ideology from the Right then some noise then the Left reacts. Laws are now written out of ideology and not necessity, its sad to watch

April 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Sue

What do these people not get about "Illegal" Immigrents ? Being an illegal alien is Illegal!! They already broke the law. So of course the police should be able to question them. Yes they should have to come up with proper paperwork!!! If you went to France, they would expect to see your pass port. They have laws!!

April 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Larry

People are fed up..if they do not know their SS number or have no papers...deport them

April 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

What is the difference between reasonable suspicion as defined by that court case, and how federal officers approach the same situation?

Citizens can sue under what circumstances? I didn't understand that.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Sly

This law if enacted will prevent the delivery of emergency medical care to immigrants and also allow crimes to go unpunish because of the fear of police.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. John

Why not stop and search. If you have nothing to hide this should not bother you. I would not be offended. Somebody has to do something

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Debby, MI

Hi Anderson and all- I understand the issue that the illegal immigrants may be utilizing most of that states' resources without being a taxpaying citizen but I'm not sure this is the proper way to handle it.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Dulcie - Denver

I have friends in Arizona and they report that local law enforcement already abuses its citizens on all kinds of issues. This new law will only make it worse.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Lauren

the new bill is not a violation of the constitution. It is simply making it possible for the police to ask ANYONE for proper identification. I myself am part mexican and an Arizona resident. I carry proper ID at all times and would have no problem providing the police with ID whenever asked. The only people that should be bothered by this new law are those that are here illegally.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Vince

Profiling is police work. Police should know the nieghborhood they work and the problems that impact that nieghborhood, whether it be drugs or immigration. Thats profiling, it's not just race that applies. Should a red headed irish women be stopped at the airport to be searched or should the officer know that young middle eastern men pose the greatest threat. Same applies to immigration.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Grace

I do partially agree with IanB. If the person doesn't have anything to hide, presenting one's papers shouldn't be a problem, but honestly, I feel like officials will abuse this law. Just my jaded two cents.

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

People always think that they got other people all figure out!

April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Rey

Racial profiling is a step back for the human race. We should hope for stupidity profiling to get rid of the sponsors and supporters of this bill.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Vince

Good evening all,

There has to be balanced regulations in order to govern fair and well, whether it is on the matter of immigration or otherwise in order to avoid chaos. However, on the same note one must always remember that the first settlers to America were themselves strangers in a foreign land.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  31. John Grande

I think the Arizona law is brilliant and should be adopted by New York. The Federal Government under both Bush and Obama has ignored the border.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  32. randy

Working at home improvement I see illegal immigrants every day. In Las Vegas you can not drive past a Star Nursery, Lowe’s, or Home Depot without seeing a group of day laborers. Why shouldn’t a cop be allowed to chase down someone who runs when they see a cop? If a person of any ethnicity runs from a cop there is probably a reason.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Liz

this is ridiculous. I am a LEGAL immigrant, and have had to present proof of my legality in this country and it is demeaning... all this stems from these politicians in our state of Az using the "scare tactic" to elect officials like a sheriff that shall remain nameless and UNNECESSARY laws to terrorize the states people, hard working and good people at that...

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Sid

What is the matter with you. If a person is here illegally, they are, in fact, committing a crime, i.e. they are illegal!!! There should be no problem with showing your identity. All of this whining about profiling and discrimination is a lot of bull. The people of this country should wake up.
    Look at the crime statistics and see what group of people are committing the majority of crimes California and the Southwest.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. David

This is no more profiling than picking up a Mexican running through the Sanora desert. INS or Border Control never asks if they are Americans just out for a jog. Is picking up Mexicans running from the border profiling?

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

Would this require people in Arizona to carry around their immigration papers?

I think tonight I shall have to read the entire bill to get an idea of what they are proposing.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Emily

@larry,

I wonder if a new piece if ID will be created? It really is "crazy" as the majority of people do not walk around with their birth certificate, esp. females, if they are married and have changed their name...

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. charlie

The objections to the bill are based on concerns about possible abuse by the police.
    Again the regulators (of police activity) need to be strong and active.
    The police need to be trained and behave reasonably. If not they should be fired and/or prosecuted.
    Is is quite appalling that there is such a low expectation of police ethics.

April 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

A national identity card would make this a moot point. If you swipe the card and someone else's picture comes up, the person gets arrested.

April 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Kim Santagati

It has to be done.. and it should be done in other states. It's too bad that it has come to this.. but the government's main role is to protect her citizens.

April 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Herminia Cubillos

It's all about racial profile. My husband is a dark Hispanic male and has been stopped in the Phoenix area for no reason all. Only for the color of his skin. And he is a professor at ASU. I have the same story from other dark skin Hispanic males.

April 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. ginette

Are they sure they want to upset the new majority?

April 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Sergio Sandoval

Hi Anderson,
    I have been serving in the Armed Forces for the past 17 years and am very proud of serving my country. I am, however, of hispanic decent and find myself discusted with the current changes to the constitution that I put my life on the line to protect.
    I do not like the fact that a police officer can use racial profiling as a basis to make an informative stop for in Arizona. This sound to me like a way to minimize the lation community in a geographical location. Again,
    I feel ashamed to have put my life on the line in Iraq to protect a contitution that is enfringing on many fouth amendment constitutional rights.
    Sergio

April 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Rachel

If you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't be worried about it. I would have no issue if I was stopped to show some sort of identification proving that I am a legal resident.

April 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
    • Maria ~ MA

Nonsense. If you were continually stopped, you'd get annoyed.

April 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Miranda Huntington Beach CA

Anderson constitutional lawyer see above their missing it...immunity statutes of states including Arizona are immune from lawsuits or any type of criminal inquiry...unless they waive it which they are not going to it is rare to do....only the supreme court can make a ruling against a state....i give it free people

April 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Maria

Why do we not go back to the root cause of immigration? To the free trade agreements that put farmers off their land and workers on an unlivable wage? Fix these problems and the immigration problem will disappear.

April 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Katie

I am from Chicago IL, and recently moved to Texas. Reality check-America doesn't understand the escalating issues with illegal immigrants near the border. I am an American citizen and am proud to prove my citizenship with proof of I.D. whenever asked. Actual citizens of the United States of America should have no problem doing so either. Sort the illegals out.

April 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. chris

Wow! Illegal immigration is down 20% in AZ????? And that's supposed to be a good thing??? Why not have the immigration down to 100%??? Now there's an idea!!
    AZ is safe, and if you are a law-abiding citizen, why would you mind getting stopped?? I live here in the U.S., and I don't have anything to hide; so stop me!! The only people "worried" about this law are the ones who have something to hide!

April 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Sue R --Canton,Mi

Good evening.

It was sad to hear about the oil rig sinking. I wonder if by some miracle that any of the missing could still be alive in a safety chamber?

April 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  50. monique

This bill if passed regarding illegal aliens will be legal racial profiling. This is not the answer to the problem. The government should allow thoes who are illegal to come forward and if they are productive they should be given the chance to become legal. This reminds me of a time when blacks needed papers.

April 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |