April 21st, 2010

White House slams latest 'birther' move

The Arizona legislature demands that President Obama show his birth certificate to get on the state's ballot in 2012.

Ed Henry
CNN Senior White House Correspondent

(CNN) – White House aides are scoffing at a move in the Arizona legislature to force President Obama to show his birth certificate to get on the state's ballot in 2012 for his likely re-election battle.

"This is a question that has been answered exhaustively," White House spokesman Bill Burton told CNN. "I can't imagine Arizona voters think their tax dollars are well served by a legislature that is less focused on their lives than in fringe right-wing radio conspiracy theories."

Keep Reading...

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. CBDunkerson

Obama has provided his birth certificate. It has been viewed by every major media organization in the country and authenticated (twice) by the state of Hawaii.

Thus, everyone saying 'would it kill him to show it' has either been misled or is being disingenuous. All the claims that he hasn't provided a birth certificate are simply lies.

April 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  2. Tyler Hurst

Is it possible to fire all of my state legislators and get a refund on my taxes paid?

Not all of us in AZ are idiots.

April 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  3. Karen

Get over it. There are real issues in AZ and the US. No matter what he shows, this group won't be satisfied. That's a good reason to ignore them. Nothing's being hidden.

April 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  4. Chilidog

Hawaii does not have a "long form" certificate any more.

Since they digitized the entire state vital records system in 2001, the official record is now an electronic database. The only form that the state now issues is the so-called “COLB” form. This is perfectly legal and legitimate. You can use it to get a passport, a drivers license, play little league and prove you are eligible to be president.

President Obama released his to the public two years ago. Why are you birthers still harping about this?

April 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  5. Hotdog

This bill doesn't require "Obama" to show his Birth certificate. The bill requires anyone running for POTUS on the ballot in Arizona to prove he/she is a qualified US Citizen based on the Constitution. What is wrong with that?

April 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  6. Scott

A crazy idea, Pres Obama produces documents requested to skeptics instead of spending a million plus dollars in attorney fees to hide them. If my employer requested my birth certificate or passport I would show it. What draws suspicion is all the expense and effort to not show those items.

April 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  7. Duhh

You have to show your BC to get passport, what's the big deal I've done it plenty of times. I have an official copy of my BC at home it takes all of 5 minutes to dig it out. Why is this even an issue? Just show it and let the drama go away. Stop spending ridiculous amounts of time stalling for something that takes a handful of minutes.

April 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  8. iam7545

Hey, I have to show mine to get a passport – WTF is the problem? I think the bill is general and applies to all people running in AZ. I am sure even the most liberal of us can close their eyes and imagine that in a border state like AZ nationality is an issue.

April 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  9. Rick

I had to show a certified birth certificate to enter grade school, get a driver's license, and join the Marines. Why shouldn't it be required of candidates for the highest office in the land?

Big question is: what's Obama hiding?

April 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  10. FrankG

It will only cost Obama $10 bucks to get his LONG form certified birth certificate. That's much cheaper than paying a million dollars to lawyers to keep fighting this in court hearings. No one has seen his LONG form certified birth certificate. Why is that? The Senate Judicary Committee in 2008 reviewed John McCain's LONG form certified birth certificate.

Come on Obama... let's have a peek at your LONG form certified birth certificate!!!

April 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  11. Bruiser

I'm not getting the White House reaction. In 2012, candidiates for President have to provide a long form birth certificate to the state of AZ. So, why is this a big deal???

April 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  12. Pope Urban II

I am not a birther, I think Obama was born here. That said, would it kill him to show his birth certificate?

April 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  13. Sarah

I find it very odd that you have to have a birth certificate to start ANY school, play ANY sport, get hired for most jobs, get ANY kind of government assistance, also to get married, to get a driver's lisense....but yet, the president of the US doesn't have to show one to run the country??!! What?! I mean, what is he hiding? Show it!

April 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  14. dj tex illini

My kid has to show his birth certificate to play little league baseball. Why shouldn't a presidential candidate have to show his?

April 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  15. Clark

I think he should have to show his birth certificate. I have to show my kid's certificates just for them to be able to play baseball each year. If we are that picky over little league why not be that picky over our President.

April 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  16. bgaassoc

Dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't

April 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  17. bgaassoc

Someone is trying to get elected by agreeinng with the idiots who thought this up. I love Obama but just to SHUT UP all the right wing, tea party people put a copy out of his birth certificate so they can be put in their place. But then again, they might think its a made up birth certificate.

Arizona should be ashamed of its self.

April 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  18. Leon Whitham

I'm not surprised that White House aides are scoffing at a move in the Arizona legislature to force President Obama to show his birth certificate to get on the state's ballot in 2012 for his likely re-election battle.

April 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  19. Thad

What an embarrassing week to be an Arizonan. We're looking at cutting thousands of teachers, firefighters, and police and the legislature wants to piss away our money on conspiracy theories and unconstitutional police-state racism.

April 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  20. Soledad Gomez

I find it hard to believe that you have to physically show your birth certificate to prove where you were born. I think it's degrading to have to do such a thing. President Obama has more class than that.

April 21, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  21. Todd

Wow, it really seems like White House aides are scoffing at a move in the Arizona legislature to force President Obama to show his birth certificate to get on the state's ballot in 2012 for his likely re-election battle.

April 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm |