April 21st, 2010

'Birthers' Vs. Pres. Obama: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. The 'Birthers' are back and this time legislators are listening.
Arizona passes a bill demanding presidential candidates produce a birth certificate. Five other states are working on similar measures. Tonight, hear directly from one of the Arizona lawmakers who voted for the bill.
Plus, new developments in the murder of a principal and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Valerie NYC

Let the kids see their mother... Let the mother see her kids. Common sense please. The kids are being denied the right to see their mother too.

April 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Layla

This is such a horrible tragedy and I believe the mother's lawyer had a wonderful plan of introducing the children to the person who gave birth to them without "traumatizing" them. What will traumatize them more is to not know their mother at such an influential age!

April 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  3. erin

This makes me want to cry. Kids are resilient, they need the truth–not what he thinks. This sets a terrible precedent for parenting. I feel horrible for the entire group, but the dad especially, what an evil man. My kids saw their dad after brain surgery, it wasn't pretty–but it was real. And that's what they will remember.

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Emily

Can she "talk" with one of those machines?

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Sue R --Canton,Mi

The story of Abby is so sad.

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, it makes you wonder did he ever love her to put her through this of kind pain not let her children to see her.

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Emily

@Anderson,

I think that you do a great job by not taking sides, and holding people accountable.

When so-called "Leaders" are calling people stupid, etc, some people have no tact.
    I think that this leader of Arizona has matters that are much more important to deal with in Arizona.

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Anderson, "i dont like anybody labeling people as "stupid"..."

Thanks for recognizing that just because people disagree there is no reason to be rude or uncivilized. I don't agree with the Obama administration on a number of issues, but I don't think that people who do are stupid.

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is just not fair that Abby cannot see her kids. She is the mother of the children and deserves to see her kids. Just because she cannot move or talk does not mean she cannot be with the kids and the kids should know what happened to their mother and have some kind of relationship with her

April 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Carlos - Northern Virginia

Anderson,

I feel the same as you most of the time. However, I will make an exception this time and agree with Roland.

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Smith in Oregon

Come on Sanjay, if a MRI were performed wouldn't that give a baseline on brain activity?

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Nancy in Oregon

It is sad, Lori...but it sounds like the father is operating on old grudges and feelings.

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Candace

I could not believe Rep. Ashe, to vote for something when he did no research on the subject and had no clue even what he was talking about shows that there is a strong republican element out there that wants to see President Obama fail at any cost. They will get behind any cause that potentially hurts the president. It is sad that we still have people in our counrty like this especially people that hold important offices. You conducted an excellent interview Mr. Cooper.

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Angel

The birther bills are a political ploy to cast doubt over Obama's legitimacy. Sneaky...

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  15. charlie

The birther bill is of course a huge waste of time for nay number of reasons. It would also presmuably requires a federal standard for birth certificate to be implemented by all states. .

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Raymond Glenn

Have our politics reached such a low- that we are willing to ignore facts just to score cheap political points?

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to mom!!! I hope she need triplet babies to care for her, That's so sad for her......She have rights to fight this her disabled ability rights.

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Lisa, Louisville, KY

It's not just a matter of does the mother have a right to see her children, but the chldren have a right to see their mother.

"Antidotes" about their mother? Didn't she mean "anecdoted?"

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Annie, N. California

Anderson, you were great with that Arizona politco. And Roland, you are so correct, there are STUPID people in America. There is a nasty undercurrent of anger running through the republicans, and it is scary. You see it in a lot of the teabagger people as well. I never questioned whether President Obama was an American citizen, and it saddens me how rude he is treated. He is our president. He deserves respect. Keep up the good fight!

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Emily

I agree with the father in the case...

I would not want to see my mother in that condition, and knowing that she was like that because she gave birth to me, (or my brother or sister), I think that their father is doing the correct, and truely selfless thing.

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Vena

Anderson, the Birthers/Ash interview shows exactly why your show is way ahead of others. You didn't tippy-toe around him-you didn't let him slip by with non-answers; you pinned him. Great work.

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  22. jennifer

What is so wrong about having future candidates show proof of eligibility? Anyways, didn't Obama say he may not run for a second term? I think going forward, this bill is a good idea. And forget the birth certificate, why hasn't Obama shown any of his college records? Every other candidate has released their college records. What is stopping Obama?

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

@ Lisa

I was just thinking that the other day. Our money is so happy looking and full of colour! Makes it easier to use as well!

So glad American money is slowly getting there! 🙂

Ours is metallic right? I'm not liking the blue stripe though...can I suggest they get the mettalic ones we have!? 🙂

April 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Lori, S. California, USA!

Very sad story about Abby.

April 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Smith in Oregon

Yikes, that is incredibly tragic. She gave it all for her infants to be born and the husband won't let her children by her bedside?

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Cathy from Arizona

I cannot believe this is a bill in the Arizona Congress! I'm almost embarrased to live in Arizona. If our temporary governor signs off on this I think she is NUTS!! Hope she watches your show!!

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

Oh it was, Smith, it was! My late husband and I were on the sunporch...at first I thought somebody was using dynamite in the woods!! Even on the central coast of Oregon, there was ash...more in Salem when I went for a conference a few days later. So you were in Eugene then? Wasn't that something?!

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  28. andersoncnn

yeah, Leslie, i was confused by the fly and be free reference...im told he did the spock hand thing off camera, so he got what i was saying, but maybe thats a phrase i havent heard from star trek, or he just got it mixed up

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  29. kathy

AC: Your voice to the Arizona Congressman regarding birth certification of Presidents was strong. You proved him to be ignorant and irrational with facts. What a concept. Generally you have maintained a calm voice. I watch you because you are a moderator. You deliver the news.. Don't give hate air time. Let Fox be ridiculous. We need more smart reporting of facts.

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Another fantastic report by Gary! I would not be surprised if these volcanoes react to one another. If the land shifts during one eruption who is to say that it would not have an affect on the other volcano.

A great week of reporting by Gary! I appreciate all of his hard work; he deserves to party down a little! I just hope he shows us the footage!

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Kim- Ohio

Hello Anderson...totally agree with you about the labeling people "stupid" ... not cool

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

Roland Martin's comment is to the point. Why wouldn't Arizona accept Hawaii's birth certificate?

Yes the top of Katla (sp?) does look like another planet. Harsh forbidding and yet wonderous. The shot of the volcano are clearer tonight too. I think one volcano can set another off. Just the force of the eruption could open underground fissures in the second volcano and cause an eruption. Esp since they're basically right next to each other. How many places in the world can you see one volcanic mountain from the top of another. Great reporting by Gary Tuchman.

So interesting to hear Chad Myers talking about how the ash might flow into Scandanavian airspace. The jet stream and lower level winds though look like they are dispersing the ash and clearing the air.

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Peter

Good reporting on Obama's birth certificate. It's about time to stop this un-patriotic behaviour where people question his citizenship. Let us focus on the real problems in the world and how can we compete in the world if half the "team" is working against the other half ?

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  34. carolyn jones

oh no another terry s, case... the ex husband should be ashamedthe children should be able to see their mom.
    and mom may be helped and healed from seeing children, may wake up her brain.

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
    • Sarah

I agree with you let the kids see their mom they will understand when they are older and will be grateful that they were allowed the oppotunity.

April 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  35. Shirley A. Noll

Anderson, I am so proud of you. Now find out who is putting the wrong birthcertificates on the internet and expose them. This would be great journalism. It's againist the constitution to have a noncitizen for president. There is no way Obama could have ran for president if he was not a citizen of the United States. The 40 something percent of the people need to know there rights and the laws. It would help them all thought life. From a Great Grandmother.

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  36. dave

Americans want peace,and this economy fixed!Bring the troops home,I wish they would get focus on real issues. Fix America!!!.

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Dawn T.-Pittsburgh

Hey Anderson, I understand what you mean about the stupid comment. You did a great job with the interview. You reminded me of Mike Wallace:-) My blog posts haven't been going through lately. Hopefully, this one will.

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Ngoc Thao Nguyen DC

evening anderson...

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Maralene

I find it disgusting that "birthers" question our President's place of birth just because his father is from Kenya; and that for a time he lived in Indonesia. They just don't want to believe an African American could possible be our President.

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  40. carla

i don't know what to think about that if the children are to young they may feel that it is there fault there mother is that way....the must be at and age where they understand it was not their fault.

April 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!!!! LOL!!!! That's so funny caption on Beat 360!!! I love their captions!!!! Nice job, Kirk and Brad!!!! Yay!!!! 😀 Oh Yes, I do love beat 360!

April 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  42. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderson

I appreciate your "two cents" and it's good to see you on the blog.

You are right about facts too. Facts matter and Are important.

I think you did an excellent interview with the gentleman from AZ.

You might not always feel like the "sharpest", but trust me, you come on alert and questioning every night. To me, you are very sharp.

April 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

What in the world? The husband won't let the children see her? How old are they? We'll find out, I guess, but even if they are very young, they can be prepared for the visits ahead of time....I think it's so important for youngsters to learn early on how to relate with others who are at a disadvantage, even a big disadvantage. It can be a huge part of their learning empathy.

April 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Our American money is as confused as our Toyotas futhure .

April 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  45. LisaL -Canada

oh your money could use a little color – canadian money is quite colorful in contrat (and the metallic stripe is really cool to look at in the sunshine – pretty, shiny...)

April 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Elsie Baldwin

Great interview! You didn't back down, Anderson, and you at last are attacking the "stupid" partison things that are doing as much damage to
    America as a terrorist attack! The battle of "words" is as dangerous as a bomb, and the scary thing is that our Republican leaders, who may have good intentions, just don't see it! "Stupidity" may be a funny word, but people who listen and repeat untruths have only led the world into great turmoil!

April 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Emily

Great Kirk & Brad! 🙂 Very funny.

April 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Dawn

This is absurd . As a resident of Arizona I am appalled that our elected officials have time to waste on ridiculous right wing gossip while our state suffers dramatic cuts in education and all resources that help those in need. No wonder our state is in such bad shape with elected officials who have time to focus on racist nonsense.

April 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Alex - Winnipeg

Anderson, we do understand, your job is to be diplomatic. Sometimes some of us are just baffled the way elected officials behave for their own political agenda.

April 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |