April 21st, 2010

'Birthers' Vs. Pres. Obama: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. The 'Birthers' are back and this time legislators are listening.
Arizona passes a bill demanding presidential candidates produce a birth certificate. Five other states are working on similar measures. Tonight, hear directly from one of the Arizona lawmakers who voted for the bill.
Plus, new developments in the murder of a principal and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Charles

Way to go Anderson and Roland! They are stupid if they believe it.
    What's much worse, however, is that our "leaders" (elected officials) are using it to incite fear. Shame on them!

April 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

I have to say, being safely away from the impact of the ash, it's fascinating stuff. Up close and personal, ugh.

April 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Tim

I'm amazed there is not a law in place already to check a candidate to make sure they meet the requirements. I don't care if its George Washington or President Obama, they should have to prove it prior to being placed on a ballot.

April 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Marvin

To Ali's comment above, I absolutely agree.

Whether you support Obama and his policies or not, one must ask the question, why the fascination with Obama's birth? It does not make any logical sense.

And, Roland was absolutely correct in saying that at this point, Birthers are simply being stupid. There is no possible way they can justify their position.

April 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  5. LisaL -Canada

this probably sounds ridiculous, but it would be so fascinating to spend some time in iceland in the future studying long-term effects of the volcanic ash (and other things). this would be a very interesting time to be a vulcanologist.

April 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

There are so amazing ashes came out out of lava!!!! Amazing picture!!! Excellent! I hope Gary is doing great there, he is doing great job reporting! 🙂

7. Paul Z

Right on Roland! I'm not even from the US and this is the kind of stuff that makes you wonder if I'm on the show Punked. Mama always said "Stupid is as Stupid Does"

8. Marci King

Roland is right!! These people are just stupid and they scare me !!

9. Matthew

Roland is exactly right. People that honestly believe that the President is not a natural born citizen are stupid! If even after seeing the proof they still don't believe, than they have no hope. I believe it is some crazed and crooked attempt By dissenters to believe that President Obama's policies are European socialist – or simply, unamerican. How sad that the AZ legislature chooses to waste their time on a clearly partisan attack on the commander and chief under the banner of patriotism.

10. byron

How refreshing that you have a guest who tells it how it is....the people who perpetrate this disinformation know their audience well....these right wing nutbags live in their own fantasy world and are indeed stupid...which is unfortunate for the vast majority of decent, intelligent Americans who have to tolerate their malignent nonsense. Kudo's to Roland for telling it how it is!

11. Pat

The birther issue is just one of a long list of stupid legislation by the AZ legislature. I agree w/ the commentators - the legislature is pandering to an uninformed, fearful, sometimes racist, but loud minority.

12. Sally Drachman

Being from Arizona, I am completely embarrassed at the ignorance of(R) Arizona State Legislature Cecil Ash. This man is a total joke. What...a fool.

13. Ken

The 20% of Americans that think President Obama wasn't born in this country also had no idea that Hawaii is a state. And apparently, Arizona shouldn't be! They should be ashamed.

14. Raymond Glenn

Anyone who believes that Obama is not a U.S. Citizen is stupid, I am sorry, they are stupid.

15. Karen

WOW!!! Roland Right On!!!!!!! I agree the Arizona Republic Legislators are Stupid along with citizens that continue to believe our President is not a citizen of this country. Being an Arizona citizen I am stunned by the remarks of Cecil Ash (R) AZ House Leg. Clearly, this man needs to seek shelter from the Sun because his brain is fried!!!!!!!!!

16. Leon

Aren't you required as a candidate to provide birth certificates at the federal level in order to run for a federal office? As AC implied, it is irresponsible for an elected AZ state representatives to feed the nonsense of the misinformed public? You need to get a life.

17. Nancy in Oregon

I thought it was, Emily. Someone more knowledgeable will surely be able to answer your question though.

April 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Lori, S. California, USA!

I can understand why they celebrate summer early!

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Megan

As an Arizona teacher, I'm angered that our legislators have the time and money to devote to this ridiculousness, all while our schools are losing teachers by the hundreds and funding by the millions. This is government waste at its worst.

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Angela

I remember studying about volcanoes in elementary, but never did I think we would see one. Wow

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  21. John

Lets all go back and look at how any previous president or candidate for president got on the ballot to be elected . Did they have to produce a birth certificate before they could be considered,or did they just run on the paperwork that is filed ?

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Casey - Minneapolis

Gary Tuchman: 360 Road Warrior.

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Nancy Becker

Good work Anderson. Keep up the good work weeding out the ignorant in our society!

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  24. karen hayes

I live in Arizona.. and it is full of right wing nut jobs. Cecil Ash (like all Republican leaders) has an agenda to maintain fear in misinformed citizens.

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Smith in Oregon

@ Nancy in Oregon, do you remember St. Helens? It was a outstanding blast, and really quieted the streets and skys across Oregon and much of the Northwest. The ash made beautiful pottery also.

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Tia

I believe Obama is a citizen without a doubt, but even if I didn't, his mother was a citizen which makes him a citizen automatically, doesn't it???

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Doug Lester

As I understand it, the fact that President Obama's mother was an American citizen at the time of his birth makes him an American citizen reguardless of where he was born somewhere in the US, Kenya, or the moon. As far as the question of possible duel citizenship goes, no where in the Constitution is that listed as a disqualification, he would still be a naturally born citizen.

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Nancy Becker

Way to go Anderson, you nailed it. Keep up the good work weeding out the ignorant in our society!

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, just look at that, it does look like it could be another plant, but is is not.

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Kim- Ohio

I'm glad to hear some of these flights are getting up in the air. I can't imagine the frustration of the stranded travelers.

I love Gary Tuchman's reports on this Volcano. Be careful Gary!!!

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Heather - Spokane, WA

That would be just amazing to walk on that volcano and just to see what Gary is seeing. I give you lots of credit Mr Tuchman!

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  32. alexandria

I can't wait for the next election, I want the "birthers" ( this is not even a word) to ask a Republican to produce a birth certificate. This is absurd. Why didn't anyone ask McCain for a birth certificate?

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Emily

Was Iceland formed in part by volcanos? (over the millenniums)

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  34. NicolE

I don't understand why these small matter take so Many brain cell from some when their are bigger things to fight for like people dying or people losing there homes. This is so sad

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Sue R --Canton,Mi

I agree with Rolan Martin. People need to drop this Birth Certificate issue (unless they have absolute proof that he wasn't born here) and move on.

April 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Matt

I wonder whether the GOP realizes that they're implicitly attacking the provable citizenship of all Hawaiians who can only provide the same proof of natural birth in Hawaii.

April 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  37. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Ron from Wisconsin.

Sen. McCain, if i have my facts straight, was born in Panama.

However, he was born to American parents. which instantly made him American too.

You do Not have to be born in the US, as long as one of your parents is American.

April 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

The eruption is incredible to watch....from a distance. A heartbreak for many farmers and animals, I'm sure.

April 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Lori, S. California, USA!

1918 was not that long ago.

April 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Emily

great pic's here from Gary....this must be amazing for Gary to be there!

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  41. martha

what was the procedure for issuing birth certificates in Hawaii at the time of President Obama's birth? Was a birth certificate obtainable by reporting a birth or was it issued only if witnessed by a physician?

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Carlos - Northern Virginia

Roland, Thank you!! It needed to be said!

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  43. anita

The birther is a waste of time. I believe it is a ploy by the tea baggers and republicans trying whatever they can to win elections. This is rhetoric and Americans with any brains at all can see this.

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Bill Evans

A candidate for President must be a certain age. A birth certificate will
    prove he is old enough and as a side it will show where he was born.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Sadia

I completely agree with Ronin. Those people who refuse to believe facts and waste other peoples' time and money on ridiculous bills....what else can you call them besides "stupid"?

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Jim in Marquette

Anderson, thank you for showing the foolishness of those people who continue to perpetuate this created myth about the President's birth location.

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  47. steve dockeray

as we see with the Birthers

= A lie can make it half way around the world before the truth can get it's boots on -

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Lori Lynnwood WA

Good interview! I hope someone in Arizona was watching the show and realized how ignorant their legislator look

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Sherley

Hi Anderson,
    I am from Canada. Don't you think they would of found that out when he was running for president. They are only trying to get Americans all in doubt. The politics in the states are pretty bad compared to ours. Glad you told him.... lol

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "This bill isn't racist, just dumb."

I agree. Why are they wasting taxpayer time and money with this? Especially since there are so many more important problems to address right now.

April 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |