April 21st, 2010

'Birthers' Vs. Pres. Obama: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. The 'Birthers' are back and this time legislators are listening.
Arizona passes a bill demanding presidential candidates produce a birth certificate. Five other states are working on similar measures. Tonight, hear directly from one of the Arizona lawmakers who voted for the bill.
Plus, new developments in the murder of a principal and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nikole Feltham

The only reason anyone is questioning the president's birth record is hatred 'cause he is a black man in the country's highest office. Nothing else is important in Arizona or the rest of the country??? He is doing a great job!!!! State's cannot control federal laws.

April 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Mike

Yes, Roland! They are stupid, and the rest of the country needs to make it very clear what they think of these buffoons.

April 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Darryl White, Atlanta, GA

Hello Anderson and Bloggers,

This is my first time ever doing this, but THANK YOU so much for stay on the man you just interviewed. That was so RIDICULOUS!!!! I can't we pay people like this to work for us.

April 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Casey - Minneapolis

LOL -"Because they're stupid." Tell it like it is, Roland!

5. Debra in Scottsdale, AZ

I am so embarrassed. Listening to him scramble to deny whatever he choses to let be controversial and dodge Anderson's question about the April Fools report literally had me screaming in my living room. All politics may be local, but I am much more upset watching my own legislature lately than I was all the way through the health care debates.

6. Barry

Perfectly done Anderson. Obviously a racist bill meant to pander the conservatives. He was wiggling like a fish on a hook when you asked about where Bush was born, then Clinton, he was stuck. Well done!

7. Michael

way to go, don't let him be ambiguous require a simple yes or no. that's what the American people need, not answers based with caveats to allow people to skirt taking a firm stance.

8. Joyce in Ky.

Get interview Anderson..thanks for holding his toes to the fire. This stuff is all about racism and bigotry...plain and simple!

9. tori

I am incensed with these people! What is wrong with America?

10. Doreen

I find it amazing when I listen to interviews where the interviewee is trying to explain something that they can't explain without lying. I listen to more and more of these people who come across as nuts simply because they are trying to justify an action that is so wrong that they have to lie.

11. Todd Stationed in Japan

This should be a non-issue. I had to show my birth certificate when I joined the worlds finest U.S. Navy. Why doesn't my Commander in Chief have to? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, unless there is something to worry about. Why would anyone not want to produce a birth certificate? Now we are making it a "race issue" which it isn't.

12. Jill

You made me proud Anderson. I am so tired of hearing about Obama's birth. Get over it people, he is President of the United States, show some respect. Now I will probably be water logged with those crazy e-mails again saying he is not a US citizen. Geez already

13. Petra Meyer

No wonder the Republicans can not solve a single problem in the USA. They do too much to exploit the ignorance of certain groups of Americans and don't spend enough time on coming up with solutions to the real problems of this country!

14. Delia

Great Job! Thank you Anderson Cooper!

15. Chuck

Great interview with the Arizona state rep. Fantastic the way you can pull this info out of interviewees without losing your composure!

16. Teri

There could not have been a more lame interview than the one I just witnessed with the legislator from Arizona and Anderson Cooper. The congressman was unable to provide a sound rationale for why he support's his state's birthers in their desire to verify Obama's and future presidents' location of birth. Why is this guy in office?

17. Eddie Donald

This subject of birth certificate has never come up. There is hate running through this country. Everything the President tries to accomplish is what the "other" presidents didn't have the nerve to do.

18. Heather

That was a great interview. I know it is good for people to question things but this is so ridiculous. Those percentages are embarrassing as an American.

19. Theodore

Great job, Anderson! The AZ senator was obviously uncomfortable with the questions.

20. Linda

President's Obama's mother was a US citizen so he could have been born on the moon, but he would still be a US citizen, eligible to be president.

21. Tiece

It is ridiculous that some states and lawmakers are still entertaining the notion that President Obama does not meet the criteria for President due to his birthplace. If people would focus on the real issues affecting Americans versus ignorant rhetoric that's a waste of time . . . we as a nation would be better off!

22. Glenn

I'm sure every candidate for president has to submit something, somewhere to some office in our government to express their intention to run for president. I would almost bet that's one of the first things to be verified.

23. Emily

42% believe Obama was born where?

24. Akshay

Hi Anderson! As a former resident of Arizona I am ashamed of this law. I think it is unethical for the Republicans to spend time much time and tax payer money to pass a bill that is clearly partisan and maybe even racist. Pathetic! I hope voters see through this nonsense when they go to the ballot this November.

25. Alvin

I just saw the Arizona senator and it is very sad where we are heading as a nation.

26. curtis

Are these people serious.

27. Anne

As if it's not already unbelievable that this is still being questioned, I wish some of them could at least be honest about how it's "not a racist issue".

28. Carlos

What a joke!! Do we need more prove of how republicans who know what the truth is, would rather create controversy by spreading false information. Great interview. Excellent questions. Horrible, embarrassing answers!!!

29. joe from PA

Go Anderson. The Rep. have no basis on there agrument. You gave the right facts but they fail to believe it

30. Marino

I'm Canadian yet I still feel like tearing my hair out listening to this guy. I'm shocked that this is still an issue.

31. Jeff

I don't get why this is such a big issue. I had to provide a birth certificate to get my job, my passport, my social security number, etc. Why wouldn't we want someone to prove they are qualified to be the President of the United States. I can't believe we are having such a discussion and attacking (which is what it seems like to me) these officals who voted for it. I think this is a waste of air time.

32. Melissa

Anderson, I have so much respect for you for seeking truth. This is a Arizonian lawmakers just painted himself to be an incompetent embarrassment to the US goverment....how hipocritcal of him.

33. Rose, MS

We need to show certified birth certificates for jobs, why not the president, unless there's something to hide.

34. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

@ Emily: lol...it just seems so childish doesn't it? All this energy they're spending on creating new legislations to hinder Pres. Obama could be better spent on something more constructive.

And why keep arguing when there is hard evidence already presented? Pointless!

35. Jeane

Great interview, Anderson.
    Held his feet to the fire. Can't believe this is still an "issue."

36. Nancy

If President Obama had in Kenya, don't you think the Kenyans would have already shown proof?

37. Leslie, Canada

Oh man, even I know where Former Presidents Bush and Clinton were born!
    And Anderson is exactly right: this is about President Obama's race. These brither creeps are so useless.

38. Sterling Rech

Regardless if he is or is not a U.S. born citizen, lets worry more about what he's doing in office and less about his background, there isn't anything we can do about it now anyway. The best way we can be of help is to be constructive, not destructive.

39. Jeri Phi

Just like Americans....Placing people on pedestals just to knock them down.

40. Jay

Unbelievable!! We have law makers that waste time on such legislation.

41. Courtney

To think that this new bill has nothing to do with race is absolutely ridiculous. Why else would there be sudden concern? Are there still people out there who think the election of Obama is the beginning of the apocalypse? Come on now. Waste of time

42. Tom - colorado

Wow!! Never heard a public offical that was so misinformed.

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, everyone.

I see no reason to not accept the President's provided birth certificate. Why does a state need to do this? What are the federal requirements for filing as a candidate for President?

Yes there is a question of pandering here. As for possible future controversies, again are there not already federal requirements for being a candidate? These should be discussed.

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Hannah

They have a birth certificate why are people still fighting this ? He is our president so deal with it !

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  45. toby

Thank you for challenging him Anderson. It is amazing how flooish he looked. He is misguiding his people and should be ashamed of himself to come on national TV to defend these false accusations.

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Jerry

Why doesn't Obama or someone in the Democratic party in Hawaii just get the original birth certificate and show it to everyone, so that this whole issue goes away?

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
    • Tom D

Because he don't have one!

April 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Chris

How can somebody that uninformed and completely unbelievable be a state senator!?
    WOW!

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Janice A. Hussock

Is it mere coincidence that President Obama's credentials are questioned by completely misinformed people and that he is black? I think not. He was elected. He is our president. Get over it.

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Nicole Atl

Its unfathomable to me how ridiculous this so called "leader" sounds spouting unfounded comments purely designed to perpetuate veiled racism, ignorance and fear. Everyone can clearly see this so called bill for EXACTLY what it truly is...

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  50. gregory Stein

hes going to be embarrassed when he sees the replay at the bar with all his inellectual constituants

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |