April 21st, 2010

'Birthers' Vs. Pres. Obama: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. The 'Birthers' are back and this time legislators are listening.
Arizona passes a bill demanding presidential candidates produce a birth certificate. Five other states are working on similar measures. Tonight, hear directly from one of the Arizona lawmakers who voted for the bill.
Plus, new developments in the murder of a principal and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. carolyn jones

got tuff

April 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Nilo from Los Angeles

Anderson you are fire tonight with Cecil Ash. Good Job

April 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. christian

The mother should recive the 3 babies and that the husband is stupid.

April 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Nancy in Oregon

I don't think the decision should hinge only on what the mother can or cannot communicate. I think that later in life it would be harder on the kids to know their mother didn't die but was just basically pushed aside by their father. It seems to me much better to take the children to see her regularly, with proper preparation (not by Dad, it sounds like) so they can gradually come to feel a type of relationship with her. And to learn empathy.

April 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  5. charlie

Good job woth Cecil Ash Andersson. He really did look ridiculous.

April 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Carmelle Jersey city, NJ

I am an occupational therapy. I work with people with all levels of disability and I can tell you with what we know now about how the brain functions, keeping her children away from her is a crime. The brain is amazing and this mom might just be stuck inside and not be able to communicate. She needs her children and her children need her. In addition, why should it matter whether she is able to communicate or not, it is her natural right.

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Smith-Oregon

Your facts on divorces relative to disabiities of either children or spouse are unfortunately true.

I used to work with head in uries....divorce rate with that is also very, very high.

It is all so very disappointing, as the family members are left to care for the individual(s) at deficit.

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I read how you and your brother Carter learned of your father's death. It was very sad.

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Kelsey

I think my earlier post got lost...I thought Fly, be free was from Mork.

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  10. John

Anderson you are awesome. Wonderful to watch.

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am so shock news lost one of school princpal Betts killed, That's so awful for teachers, parents and kids in Washington D.C. I read on CNN internet this morning. 🙁

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Emily

Aww...that was sweet of Anthony to do that...at only 7 years of age.
    clearly this man effected many, in a positive way.

April 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  13. carolyn jones

gotta run anderson you and your staff are the greatest... thank you

yeah, yeah, the nfl is doing their job.. so proud of the nfl showing that color dont matter bad.behavior of any nfl player will not be tolerated... kudos NFL.
    good night great show as always... but tonight you really got tough.

April 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Cessy - Chicago

school principal murdered: what a loss for the children and the community...

April 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Emily

@charlie: re Stephen Hawkings,

I was thinking about that too...if Abby could type into one of those machines that would speak for her, what she is thinking so people would know....that would be different.

It doesn't sound like she can at this time...hopefully sometime soon.

April 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Sherley , Canada

It's is bad enough that this has happened to her and then not let her see her kids. I can imagine how her heart is " broken" . The father should be ashamed of himself and not sure how he lives with himself.

April 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  17. rich g

terrible situation for the kids. Mr. Cooper, I'm sorry about your father. Like many stories on your show, this one seems to have an impact on you personally. It's makes it more real than just reporting the facts and having a debate. Keep up the good work Mr. Cooper, and thank you for asking the though questions with Rep. Ash.

April 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Matt

The case is simple. The children will probably end up evaluated periodically to see if they are yet capable of understanding and coping with the state in which their mother exists and, based on the psychiatrist's opinion, the kids will eventually be given the choice whether they want to or are ready, etc...and I bet they end up getting to see her much before they're 18.

April 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Stacy

@ Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio I understand your point of you and Anderson's because everyone has those moments. However its sad that many uniformed people make such accusations and others actually the lies.

April 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Harald

Thanks, Anderson, for taking this chap to task. I could see you getting rightfully annoyed at this man talking in circles. Sad that the USA has such a continental divide between informed and ignorant people.
    Barack Obama's goals are not those of a socialist or marxist, they are just the goals any rich and enlightened nation should try to achieve. So, stop inventing all kinds of nonsense and help this president !

April 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Shirley A. Noll

Anderson, I am so proud of you, now find out who is putting false birthcertificate on internet and expose them.

April 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Grace

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, but I aim to be joining pretty regularly from now on 🙂 I've been meaning to join the live chat for ages, but I've been a bit nervous.

If I may, I'd like to give my two cents on Abby's case. As Smith said earlier, if an MRI were performed, can't cognitive activity, or possibly the lack thereof, be shown? I understand the father's concerns, but he's not the triplet's only parent.

Oh, and hello, Anderson 🙂

April 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Kenya

I don't think those kids would be "traumatized" by seeing their mother...like the father is saying. They're three years old for crying out loud. The kids need to know their mother and even though the mother is unable to communicate with them it is still their right. For the father to want to keep these children from knowing what little they can of their mother because of the limited communication is just selfish in my opinion. So much for "for better or worse."

April 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
    • Sadia

Agree100%

April 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Debby

What a tragic situation for all involved! It would be difficult to make a decision in this case. Even though the mother has a right to see her children, would this be detrimental to them? Tough Choice.

April 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Kim- Ohio

Interesting story...look forward to hearing more concerning Abby. I think the father is in a hard place...trying to figure out what is best for his children and dealing with the fact that his wife is in the vegetative state. Very tragic.

April 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

Aww Anderson...I'm almost finished reading your book. Its the first book I've read and found tears coming down my face without me even knowing it...(yes you made me cry :P)

April 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  27. elizabeth

Thanks Anderson keep them honest for me,thats all i can say.

April 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Crystal

I joined the conversation late but read all the comments, and I can say I just moved to Arizona 2 months ago and I agree with most of you it is a different place to live and now I know why, look who represents AZ.

April 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Talar

But the whole point is the children should remember seeing their ill parent...that's sad AC was denied that opportunity. I don't think there's harm with such a personal memory.

April 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Smith in Oregon

Sadly the percentage of divorces which follow the birth of disabled children or a disabled spouse is very high, over 80% bail-out leaving a single ex-spouse in extended care or a mother with a disabled child who needs constant care and attention.

April 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  31. charlie

Stephen Hawkings (our current gerneation's Einstein)currently can only communicates by blinking his eyes, albeit enhanced by technology. It seems eminently feasible to confirm cognitive ability based on blinking eyes.

April 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Emily

$ is always involved somewhere is not? .
    ..too bad that has to be there, and not just the best interest of those that are involved.

April 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

It's so sad that this family is splintered. It's already tragic enough without the bad feelings, and now possibly money motives, it sounds like. Human beings sure do make hard situations harder.

April 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  34. starr, formerly known as vincent

Mr. Toobin is correct. The woman needs to be tested for cognition.

There are a number of tests that can be done to prove cognition.

If she is aware, she has every right to see and interact as best she can with her children.

The children can only be "traumatized" if they are told the story of their birth in the wrong way.
    I hope Mr. Toobin is wrong about the money issue, but probably not. What a shame for everyone involved.

April 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Jeremy Smith

This is a tough topic. Children should see their mother but also I wouldn't want it to traumatize the children to see their mother that way.

April 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Manney, NY

Great Interview... Great People... Dance of Democracy

April 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Jerry

I like the new colorful money

April 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Emily

That's awful about your father Anderson, however, you had a relationship as you were 10 and he was not in the hospital because he gave birth to you....

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Cessy - Chicago

this is a very sad story. I agree with Mr. Toobin but I think that the children should be allowed to get to know their mother. Are there any visitations allowed for the children?

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Adam

I understand both sides but we need to think about what is in the best interest of the child. Legally its complicated but we shouldn't pass any judgment based on a very short news discussion.Its easy for us to be outraged but we need to let the courts go through the facts and figure it out.

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Sophia Garcia

This is unspeakably sad and horribly heartbreaking! Don't even get me started on what i think of a man who would keep a woman's kids from her, unless she was a threat to the kids, obviously...And what about Grandma and Grandpa? You know they wanna see those babies! :0(

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes, I agree with you..... It is so amazing picture or so awesome picture. I wish I want take picture of Volcano or ashes.

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  43. carla

but you knew your dad as dad.....different

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This woman is disabled as a result of this birth. It is cruel not to allow them to see her.

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Nancy in Oregon

It seems to me the case is about the father's feelings (mostly of dislike for the mother.)

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Liz

I was sitting at the edge of my seat ... great job in explaining the facts and exposing the lie!

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Faith

Anderson, I watch CNN just to see and hear from you. Keep up the honest opinions. You're always sharp to me and millions of educated, informed and progressive Americans. May God continue to bless you.

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

poor mom. maybe its more her ex cant take seeing her like that. he was denied a happy family life and seeing her like that has to be painful.

April 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Sara Asif - Toronto, Canada

That's horrible...a mom should be allowed to see her children even if it is just them coming and giving her a hug! It must be heartbreaking for her and for the children as well!

Divorces are ugly 🙁

April 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Smith in Oregon

@ Nancy in Oregon, yes the ash fell like heavy snow stopping all traffic on the roads and in the air for several days and the microscopic sized glass in the ash was very hard on the lungs and on car engines as well.

April 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm |