April 19th, 2010

Volcano Chaos: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, breaking news on the Iceland volcano. New details on why the plan to open more airspace tomorrow could be in jeopardy. Plus, did Goldman Sachs rip-off investors so that a hedge-fund billionaire could get even richer? The latest on the lawsuit against the Wall Street powerhouse and the larger effort to regulate Wall Street.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jane - Vt

I don't understand why none of the Wall St. bankers have been brought up on charges. Maybe finally there will be some trials and jail terms. Martha Stewart did nothing as bad as these people have done.

April 19, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Susan, NJ

Sonya, there are thousands of banks in the US. The power of the free market is the power of the consumer to walk across the street and get a better deal.

April 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Emily

What are the odds that you are going to learn the "facts"? ...the real facts? ...and how long will it be before it comes to light if & when they are told?

April 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Nicole from the Netherlands

@Jo Anne, Ohio totally agree!, no meat for me.. no problems, good for the environment... A good thing

April 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Lori, S. California, USA!

David Gergen is the voice of reason.

April 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Susan, NJ

The reason we have a 14 trillion dollar economy and highest standard of living in the world, and the greatest innovation is because capitalists on Wall Street were willing to take risks.

April 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I wonder how much traction this new episode of greed will have with the public. I could see this "Fabulous Fab" guy becoming the icon or poster boy for ground zero of the entire worldwide economic collapse. Let's see...

April 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Steve in Houston

Reminds me of issues created by Drexel. How come SEC doesn't oversee this to avert the issues, if Wall Street Pundits were aware of it....why weren't our regultory bodies protecting us?

April 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Sonya, TN

I dont know much about Finance but everytime I complain to my bank about their processes, they look at me with a "deal with it" expression.

April 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Susan, NJ

The Republicans know that the bill will give unprecedented power for the government to decide salarties, and take over any business that it deems too big to fail – and fire the entire board. That is too much power for a government. Let the businesses fail. Healthy businesses will pick up the pieces.

April 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Goldman Sachs are so idiot, No one don't like bad fraud at all as Street Wall was out of control, Now Goldman Sachs is now in jail.

April 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Andre

Hi Anderson, could you clarify that Paulson was operating as a hedge fund and on 4 billion he only pays 15% taxes thanks to Congress

April 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Mei- Arizona

Anderson is so funny!!! 😀 This is why I keep watching. And of course his great reporting

April 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Marisela from New Port Richey, FL

I can't believe how brazen these Wallstreet traders have become?!? They are completley out of touch with reality! The contrast between people that get it and people that don't get it is becoming more and more obvious. Something's gotta change. This isn't sustainable any longer. It's time for our Spiritual Awakening. ~Namaste

April 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

I dislike Michael Moore....but with this Wall Street story reminds me of when he went to Wall Street asking for our bailout money back. I do not trust Wall Street. I think its all coruption.

April 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Emily

@Darlena – SC,

Thanks for the information about the "ash"...would be interesting to read....looks & sounds very dangerous.

April 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Susan, NJ

Sonia, because NOW the debt is 10 times worse, and our money supply has skyrocketed, and the government has gotten it's hooks into more than 51% of the private economy. That is a fundamental change to America.

April 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Robin in Tampa, FL

Goldman Sachs is the poster child of why we need Finance Reform ... yet the Republicans are opposing the bill currently going through the Senate.

April 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Lori, S. California, USA!

I agree Star, fkav, we need reform!

April 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Nancy in Oregon

Susan, I just read your post....I sure think I'd be very careful and re-think the trip (sadly.)

April 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Megan

What a wonderful post you wrote on the Oklahoma bombing aftermath, 15 years later.

I agree with you and you reminded me to honor the lost and pray for the living.

April 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Brenda, VA

I don't understand why the country allow these violent organizations to continue, especially since OKC AND 9/11. They're not even clear what they believe ONLY that they want to carry their guns..They're a negative, cynical group without any solutions..It's going to take the help of the Government to bring us out of the pile of dookie George W put us in

April 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  23. David

What Paulson did is maybe legal, but it definitely is not ethical. Just as doctors and engineers take oath to some ethical standards, so should people from wall street.

April 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Betty Tx

Goldman Sachs is the best we are lucky to have them in the USA

April 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Susan, NJ

The government has socialized risk for the upper classes, and socialized income for the lower classes. it is the middle class that is the "Forgotten Man."

April 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Soledad Gomez

We're going to stop joining you on the blog if you don't joining us back.

April 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Jacqueline, NY

Good evening!

Sorry I'm late to the party. Oh, no! Not another food warning...

April 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sue R –Canton, Mi,
    I think I haven't heard them yet, I will ask my mom if they are ok or safe right now, I also most worried my family there, I think they are sure safe right now. 🙁

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Kathy Chicago

Doesn't this sound like insider trading? I hope some heads roll.

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Sonya, TN

We need our government to regulate wall street and main street, if they dont who will?

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I like my veggie burgers any way I can get them!

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Sue R --Canton,Mi

This whole situation with Goldman Sachs is toxic. Way to much greed on wall street.

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

If the charges against Goldman Sachs are true, it should be "deamonized" and labeled criminal.

And, if other firms were doing the same thing, i hope they All get caught and prosecuted!

We Need financial reform! Really good financial reform

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Goldman Sachs has been the untouchable golden prince of Wall Street since the late 70s. An unstoppable machine and shining example of American greed.

April 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, "I think you have the right perspective (I hope). "

My perspective is that everyone is entitled to protest the government as long as he or she does not break the law and remains non-violent. Silencing any group, no matter how much you disagree with it, is un-American.

April 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Karoline, Los Angeles

I agree Casey. When I heard today that Goldman Sachs will be awarding $5 billion in bonuses to employees soon I wanted to vomit. On Wall St.

April 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Susan, NJ

I can think of 10 different ways off the top of my head that the government abuses it's power. The IRS sent 2 agents to collect 4 cents at a carwash.

April 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Emily

I heard that a 21 year old started much of this by the paperwork... it was just Goldman Sachs that was "Marketing" it...
    Is this true?

April 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Lori, S. California, USA!

These Patriots have been around awhile. I was approached by one about 16 years ago. I was not about to stop paying taxes because it is unconstitutional.

April 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

I feel the same way starr....and not just in this country but between members of humanity.

Good evening, all...! I'm late!

April 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Don

Just a question only you as an individual can answer ...What action would your government have to take for you to call it intrusive or out of control? There in lies the problem, we all answer that question differently. Demonizing those who don't share your opinion or position is pointless.

April 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Rick B -San Diego

How many 401k and IRA investors were affected by GS?

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Nicole from the Netherlands

I wish all those people who whe just saw, put their energy in protesting the big bonus, we take all, the rest of you may suffer culture

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Kimberly T. - Northern Cali

@ Sonya – You've nailed it... there are no gun reform/gun control laws or bills even being discussed in either house of congress, at least to my knowledge. They are getting all riled up over conspiracy theories and rantings. They were on the edge and looking for a reason to rebel and explode anyway. The lies and misleadings are only the fuel for the fire.

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Kathryn- Plym Mtg, PA

Great reporting on the Wall Street issue.

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

All of these facts and numbers are just sickening. Especially when I think of people losing their homes and who can;t keep food on their table.

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Betty,
    Me too!!!!! Nice see you again, 🙂 !

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Susan, NJ

I'm sure the percentage is low to none that have a criminal record. These are people, like me, who feel we are in an abusive relationship with our government. Politicans have indebted us for trillions of dollars.

April 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Karoline, Los Angeles

So this case against Goldman was basically knowing the Titanic was going to sink and placing a bet that it would. Then collecting from all those who believed it was unsinkable.

April 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Dulcie - Denver

'Fabulous Fab'? Seriously? Now I'm laughing my butt off.

April 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm |