April 15th, 2010

Are You Overtaxed?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. On tax day, the Tea Party Express turns up its volume. They say taxes are too high and government too expensive. Are they right? We'll give you the facts and let you decide. Plus, the big 360° interview. Jack Kevorkian talking about life and death.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nancy in Oregon

And it happens frequently, Karoline, through different means....through the administration of 'pain medication' which just happens also to suppress breathing. Of course, you have to go through a long hospital course first.

April 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy- thanks for your answer. God bless you and your husband.

April 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  3. michael armstrong sr.

Who has the right to prevent Gods will of death the right to death belongs to the person and it belongs to God he giveth and taketh away what gives us the right to make someone suffer this is no more then ballbaric .

April 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Dan

Since many of us do not physically get to see/touch the things we get for our tax dollars it's easy to say we pay too much - despite the amount in the budget for entitlements. If we had true national health care I'd gladly pay more in taxes.

April 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Connie Aaron

If you feel that strongly about how great Mr. K is, why wouldnt you just consider suicide-anyone can take their own life if they want to in order to stop pain/suffering or any other reason. I bet this crazy man will attempt this again in the near future-hope he goes back to prison asap!

April 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. LisaL -Canada

that conversation with jack kevorkian was very interesting – looking forward to tomorrow's followup.

April 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  7. charlie

@ Jamie . Just ot be clear. Those other taxes are in addition to the income tax (eg 50% in uk). US taxes are very low.

April 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Karoline, Los Angeles

I think most people are against physician assisted suicide for the terminally ill until a friend or family member actually goes through that suffering.

Then, when you see what severe illness and death are like in real life, people tend to opt on the side of relieving suffering.

April 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Ron A

the powers that be, the ones we all allow to control our lives, dont want to give up their power of control , throughout our whole life

April 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

I'm sure they were, Soledad. They were lucky he was there. They'd been through enough.

April 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Thanks, Anderson, for interviewing Lewis Black! He is very very smart and hilarious!

April 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Emily

@Cessy – "hospitals restricting visitors for same sex partners."

I think this is clearly an over reach of their powers!
    I can understand if they didn't want to see the person, or if they needed to rely on a PoA (Power of Attorney) for some reason, however, to prevent a patient... that doesn't sound very "caring" at all!

April 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I file my tax return as soon as I get my W2 and others paper work that are needed!

April 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Megan

I am obscenely overtaxed. I can not believe that the government requires so much of my money that I should be punished if I don't pay it, or that they can keep a straight face while doing so. Health insurance is the biggest joke of all. I laugh so hard at it that I cry and cry and cry.

April 15, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  15. hanad

I agree with Jo Ann he is a very dangerous figure and doctors are supposed to save lives not end them.

April 15, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

It is....but not so easy to access as it may sound. So my husband did it himself, when he could not bear the slow dying any longer.

April 15, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  17. gretchen

Dr.Kervorkian, in his mind he's helping to end suffering,but he has no right to call other doctors cowards for not doing what he does.Our doctors are our heroes they work hard to save our lives and the lives of our loved ones ,some try everything even unconventiional methods to help save peoples lives that takes bravery.Some deal in life,some in death.

April 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Good job interview Dr. Kevorkian.... It was interesting interview, so scary to see this!

April 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Bill Holcombe

Agree with President Obama and Warren Buffett. The rich since they enjoy the benefits of our society should pay a lot more in taxes than they do. People were able to build wealth in 1950s. when Personal Income Taxes were 90%. Corporate Income taxes should also be higher.

April 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  20. charlie

Kevorkian is right. Assisted death should be a medical procedure. Like many other procedures (eg Michael Jackson) it will be abused on occasion and on those occasiosn the perpetrators should be punished.That is not a reason to restrict the freedom of the rest of us.

April 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm not for suffering, but assisted suicide is murder.

April 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Sophia Garcia

This is a sad a disturbing interview ~ I worked suicide crime scenes and there's never any dignity in the end, no matter how it ends.

April 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Sue R --Canton,Mi

I remembered this video, it aired on 60 minutes in 1998. After that he was constantly in court.,,His parole also states that he cant care for anyone who is 62 or over..or disabled.

April 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  24. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy Oregon – isn't doctor assisted death legal in your state??

April 15, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Lori, S. California, USA!

My grandfather who had been a professional athlete and very active became incapacitated in his old age. He could not swallow or eat and was kept alive with a feeding tube for a long time. I feel that he did not die with the dignity he deserved.

April 15, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Cessy - Chicago

HBO's "you don't know jack".... I will definitely see this.

AL PACINO playing Dr. Kevorkian..I'm curious what it's like studying the Dr. and playing him.

Anderson – interview the great AL PACINO!

April 15, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I would absolutely consult someone like Dr. K if the need presented itself.

April 15, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Joe Orsi

Sue R. Sorry, comment not finished. My condolences for your loss. A big misconception was that Dr. K. would put an end to anybody who desired to stop living......not true!

April 15, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  29. David, Indiana

That's a huge fireball.

Good to get that description of the hazards of the ash cloud from the volcano in iceland from Chad Myers.

I wish we were hearing a bit more about how things are going in China.

April 15, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

I doubt he went out shopping for patients, though, Jo Ann. Didn't they go to him, when all else had failed and death was coming anyway...only more miserably?

April 15, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hello everyone,

Oh what a depressing subject. But I do agree that in some terminal cases, people should have the right to avoid pain and hasten the inevitable.

April 15, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This movie will encourage this man to continue what he was doing and it may even make suicide look attractive to weak minded people.

Sometimes Hollywood is reckless.

April 15, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Rodney(Roll Tide)

He is admitting that it is illegal on T.V. The last time I checked, this was called a premeditated murder. Even if he did not pull the trigger per say. He should be on death row right now. I have seen proclaimed innocent people be executed where DNA was too late to save them.

April 15, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Isabel

It is really unbearable to see someone we love slowly dying!

April 15, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I understand why some of us think that Dr. K is "senile" or 'a little crazy,' but the fact is we're just uncomfortable with a concept that is completely contrary to what we're taught or what we're used to.

April 15, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Soledad Gomez

Those people he helped were probably so thankful that someone was wiling to help end their misery.

April 15, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Gigi -Big Tex

So does Dr. Kevorkian charge to help these people commit suicide? Just wondering...

April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

I feel the same way, Bry. We will bravely put our animals out of the misery but not our human loved ones.

April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Emily

There seems to be "another" side to him!

(I kind of see him as someone who would issue the death penalty to an inmate, rather than someone empathic)

April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Ron A

and the good DR says the Court is corrupt...you think

April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Jessica

Actually, God owns our bodies. That is something we so often forget. He gave them to us to temporarily live on this earth. As the Dr. said, he doesn't even know if there is a God.

April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Kevorkian may be interesting to listen to, but I think he could easily convince someone who was on the fence to commit suicide and that is frightening.

April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

I believe in it too, JoAnn. But if someone chose him to be the physician who assisted them, that is their business I think.

April 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Shelia,
    Yes, That was Al Pacino..... And Yes! That is my favorite comedian Lewis Black, he is so funny man I have watch his show. 🙂

April 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Connie Aaron

he really does sound a bit senile, he always seemed off but your interview shows how really scary Mr. K is(I dont consider him to be an MD ) hasnt he been stripped of his medical license? He doesnt deserve the title of Dr.!

April 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Joe Orsi

Good evening everyone, interesting discussion about end of life rights. Sue R.Dr. K doesn't or didn't intervene with a young depressed individual

April 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Kenya

This interview with Dr. Death is very interesting...

April 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Dan Fitzgerald

In the middle of doing my taxes but this Kevorkian interview is chilling yet extremely interesting.

April 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

But Gloria, as a woman whose husband was in terrible misery and pain, I can tell you that the 'natural course' can be very inhumane. I am very anti-suffering. Not near the spartan that many think others should be.

April 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Cessy - Chicago

@ Emily – isnt that a shame? hospitals restricting visitors for same sex partners. I believe that any patient should be able to have their families visit them ( unless of course the patient decide not to see them for whatever reason ).

April 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |