April 15th, 2010

Are You Overtaxed?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. On tax day, the Tea Party Express turns up its volume. They say taxes are too high and government too expensive. Are they right? We'll give you the facts and let you decide. Plus, the big 360° interview. Jack Kevorkian talking about life and death.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bry

When my dog was dieing from Cancer I finally came to terms with having to end his suffering. It was by far the most devastating situation I've ever had to face. I can only hope that when I am terminally ill someone like Dr. Kevorkian will free me of my suffering.

April 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Isabel

Somehow Dr. Death also fought for life. One way to questionable, but he fought!

April 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Emily

Jack Kevorkian is an interesting person to listen to too!

April 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Nancy in Oregon

He's evil because he questions a god? Oh gosh, I think so differently!
    It always amazes me how fearful the most religious people can be, too...one would think that of all people, they would be the most secure with death.

April 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I believe in physician assisted suicide, but I don't think I want Kevorkian to make that decision. He is a little spooky.

April 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  6. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Casey-CA – i agree, Dr. K. should Not have been locked away for doing the compassonate thing.

I beleive all endings were taped and the patients had control over whether they chose to take the medication or not.

Dr. K. simply provided the medical supplies necessary.

April 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Linda in Arizona

People own their own bodies and should be able to end their suffering whenever they decide to do it. Please stop trying to make Dr. Kevorkian into a murderer. And while you're asking him if he feels guilty, think of the doctors whose incompetence or negligence have caused the death of people all over the country. Iatrogenic deaths are the leading cause of death in the US. Dr. Kevorkian is perfectly lucid, and is a man with the courage of his convictions.

April 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  8. charlie

@ Aaron : Flat taxes are just about the most unfair method of all. A teacher paying the same rate as the CEO of Goldman Sachs?

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Doc, if it is a serious as of that, than let death take is own natural course.

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Lori, S. California, USA!

I think that Dr K. has had an impact. My opinion is that less is done to keep termimally ill patients going now than was the case 15 years ago. I think this is alright when there is no hope for life without pain and suffering. Life is great when you feel good.

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Sonya, TN

@Jo Ann, Dr. Kevorkian is a victim or the criminal justice system.

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Ron A

history will show in the near future that Dr Kervorkian was right, his incarceration deserves an apology from us all

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

He may sound old now, Mike, but I highly value his willingness to help dying people end suffering.

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Gigi -Big Tex

Wow, very interesting interview and point of view from Dr. Kevorkian, still I don't know how to feel about the whole assisted suicide issue. Very informative though...

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  15. michael armstrong sr.

Let the sick die its cruel to let some one live in agony when theres no hope of recovery .

April 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

THAT was Al Pacino?! Wow! Hollywood Make-Up is Amazing!

YAY Lewis Black. I LOVE Lewis Black!!!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Mark Pestcoe

The taxes are unfair. Comparing the united states to european nations does not seem linear to me. What does that make? That we should be taxed more?...duh. 🙂

April 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  18. charlie

Obama's Income of $5.5M and a tax bill of $1.8M that is total of only 33%. Seems there is plenty of room for increasing taxes on the high income. Thosetop rates have been as high as 98% in teh 1970's . How about 60% for people earining over $1M per year.?

April 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I enjoy Dr. Kervorkian's complete clarity in thought and commitment.

April 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Is Hollywood trying to make Kevorkian into a victim?

April 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Rodney(Roll Tide)

What if a person killed someone at their house ,but first, had the victim write a letter proclaming the murder an assisted suicide. Would he go free? No. He more than likely would be executed. This man is evil. He even questions whether or not their is a God. Wicked.

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  22. michael armstrong sr.

This dude carrys the cicle of the grim reaper but he makes the right to death an issue .

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Cessy - Chicago

interesting interview with Dr. Kevorkian. Curious of what he will do with his time now that he out of jail

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  24. starr, formerly known as vincent

I supported Dr. K., as an RN, i saw truly awful suffering. Sometimes patients beg medical personnel to help them die.

I believe in death with dignity. Legalization may have some problems, however, given what i've seen, i'd like to see patients determine their own destiny re: dying.

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Sonya, TN

OK, now I wished I had of lobbied for Dr. Kevorkian, he is right on time with this one.

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Wow this guy is even MORE Crazy than I thought. God BLESS him.

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Kervorkian sounds a bit senile.

April 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Isabel

Excellent point and the answer was honest and difficult!

April 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Teresa

Yes we are over taxed, tax my check, tax my property, tax my groceries, tax my gas, tax my car, tax insurance that I can't afford, in other words we are being taxed to death. Oh! did I mention the death tax, you can't even die to get away from taxes.

April 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Anderson seems rather surprised during this interview. I call it a simple reality check, for all of us.

April 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Sue R --Canton,Mi

It seem's like Jack Kevorkian has a wierd obsession with end of life that started I think since the 1950's.It's something were all going to face someday.He was a big story here in MI. My brother who was severely depressed use to talk about J.K. and wished he would help him end his life.He even had one of those joke gift certificates that authorized him an appt, with Dr. Death.,,,Well my brother did commit suicide while I was visiting him, With help,,I'm mentally healthy over his death now,,,But I still thank God that Jack Kevorkian did not help him.

April 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That so scary I have seen both of countries, China really bad life struck earthquake and Iceland erupted (volcano) ash and melt plane.

JoAnn,
    I think Gary will be ok at Iceland, he is safe right now, I agree.

April 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Joseph L Gervasi

It takes taxs to run a goverment, and I feel we all need to pay tax. But why is the hard working people working so hard to not pay tax, I'M OVER TAXED

April 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Sonya, TN

I am for physician assisted suicide on terminal ill patients

April 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Emily

@Cessy –
    "i didnt know that there are any restrictions for visiting patients..."

I didn't know that there were any restrictions on visiting patients who were dying! I thought that if The Paitient said that they wanted to see you, or your name was on a list, it was okay! Very disturbing to hear.

April 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Jim

Gay rights in hospital visitation. Finally I have something in which I agree with Obama. Shame on Jacksonville Hospital.

April 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Nancy Lacika

Flat tax y'all...11% takes care of so many woes. Sorry accountants and attorneys (was one of you once). At this point,. fiscally, 48% of the US population does not pay taxes...a recipe for disaster.

April 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, that should be an interesting movie to watch!

April 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Susan

No suprise that 50% think taxes are fair. 40% of Americans pay NO federal income tax whatsoever so why would they think taxes are unfair? Going up to near 50% next year, by the way.

April 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Ron A

people have the right to decide to live or die, its their life, not anyones elses to decide

April 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Dr. Kervorkian should NEVER had gone to prison for simply showing compassion and respect for others.

April 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  42. gretchen

That was so sad and ridiculous not to have allowed that women to see her partner in her last days,no matter what people feel about same sex couples,that was awfully cruel.

April 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Dr. Death – It is the grim reeper without the cloak and scythe.

April 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

It's really awful that all adoptions from Russia are on hold. So many parents in the final stages of the process now can't get their child. This one case has had a profound effect.

April 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  45. David, Indiana

@Heidi I agree tax monies are put to good essential purposes but the wealthy do pay a large percentage of overall taxes.

What happened to Janet Langborn and her partner is heartwrenching and an outrage. It's difficult for me to believe that any hospital would treat anyone like that. How could they disregard the advance directive and power of attorney? More importantly how could they ignore someone with a loved one who is seriously ill?

April 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Rodney(Roll Tide)

There was nothing legal about what they tried to do with those kids. They knew that it was illegal in the U.S. and that they shouldn't expect it any different anywhere else. Even the lawyer was dirty.

April 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  47. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey Re: some heterosexual relationships don't often last 17 yers

Well said!

April 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike, on the other hand there are now lots of stranded Europeans who have extended trips which equal more revenue and more tax dollars for businesses and communities stateside. Our local economy will definitely benefit.

April 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Lori, S. California, USA!

Dr. Kavorkian would make me think about death even if I knew nothing about his life.

April 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm |