April 15th, 2010

Are You Overtaxed?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. On tax day, the Tea Party Express turns up its volume. They say taxes are too high and government too expensive. Are they right? We'll give you the facts and let you decide. Plus, the big 360° interview. Jack Kevorkian talking about life and death.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dave Paulson

Between State and feds I paid my $50K out of 200, and I wouldn't even mind if I felt it was being well used.

April 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Christine B- Olympia, WA

President Obama's memorandum and personal recognition of Janice's sacrifices, hard work and persistence since Lisa's death is an important milestone in assuring equal rights for all Americans.

April 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. gretchen

Not one of us would put our military,or police officers or fireman down,we as tax payers must realize that our tax dollars are spent for our benefit for the most part. Entitlement programs make us angry,but if one of us lost our job, and couldnt find another one immediately,we would love to have some help.

April 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. starr, formerly known as vincent

This situation with the volcano is really facinating, but upsetting too.

As Chad said, plane travel could be affected for weeks, maybe months.
    Perhaps boats will have to be used to get to and from Europe for a while?

April 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Lori, S. California, USA!

China news is a testiment to good construction in California

April 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Sonya, TN

I am glad they were released but they shouldn't have went over there to take kids away.

April 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  7. charlie

@ Jamie: For the most part those countries don't have state so thta does not exist. They do have additional municipal taxes, like US property taxes and the big addition in most cases is 15%+ Value added tax(VAT) which is equivalent to US sales tax.

April 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Wow, tourism to Europe will be hammered.

April 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Lori, S. California, USA!

Hello Anderson! Hello Everyone! Happy Thursday! Happy Tax Day.

Thank you Anderson and Tom for the info on where our tax dollars go. Very interesting and scary to know that we are borrowing so much. What is going to become of us?

April 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Dwayne

The scoop from a would be Tea party attendee if I didn't have to work for a living....

Its not about last year's taxes. Its not about this year's taxes.... its about the next 30 years increasingly higher taxes that will be required to pay the impossible debt and the pending failure of social security and medicare. The spend-more tax-more crowd is taking us down a road to utter failure. Tea partiers can see whats coming.

April 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary tweeted that he was on his way to Iceland! I hope he gets there safely!

April 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Cessy - Chicago

amazing video from Iceland....

April 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Good point! End of discrimation bans the gays and lesbians over at hospital! President Obama is doing right thing!

April 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  14. gail

So very glad that President Obama has moved to help people to be able to say goodbye or be with the person they love without exception. This is a human rights issue that I am proud he has addressed. God bless him.

April 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Kimberly T. - Northern Cali

@ Sheila Toomey, my thought process was the exact opposite of yours. I waited until the very last minute to file, because I owe Uncle Sam. I didn't file until earlier today.

April 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Dorothy

Hello Anderson
    I live in a great country. I'm willing to pay my share of taxes.

April 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "This story now, it's really sad! After 17yrs together...."

I don't think most heterosexual marriages last that long nowadays!

April 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Claus, given the situation I would have definitely lied, if there was a window of opportunity.

April 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Soledad Gomez

I can't believe we haven't been able to have who ever we want by our side at the moment of our death. Obama has such common cense.

April 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Rob, you're right but, alas, there are too many haters in the world and there never will be equality. Never.

April 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Cessy - Chicago

good gracious great balls of fire!!!! my cousin told us that he saw this from his backyard! craziness!!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Aaron in MA

How about a flat tax – that sounds fair – at least on the surface...

April 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  23. gail

Even if your federal tax liability is zero, you pay taxes. Property taxes, sales taxes, state income taxes, etc. This is just more incomplete talking points used to cloud the actual truth. Also 95% of Americans got a tax CUT.

April 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Sonya, TN

I am for a national sales tax and cut the income tax! If you have the money to spend more, you pay more.

April 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Emily

@Gloria,

"I think paying tax is a way of life for our fire dept, police dept, hosipals, government offices, schools, streets, highways and a few others."

I think that if more people really Saw their tax dollars at work, (ie. better schools, & roads, etc), paying their taxes would not be such an issue.

April 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

She should have been allow to say goodbye to the person she loved!

April 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Claus

What did the woman need to do, lie and say she was her partner's sister. How sad.

April 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Aaron in MA

If 14% of our money goes to Welfare, more people need to get a job. If you lose your income and need some help for a bit while you get back on your feet, so be it – you paid your taxes. But there has to be some over-spending in the welfare dept.

April 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  29. starr, formerly known as vincent

I feel so badly for anice, not allowed to be with her partner in the hospital. Thank God she had POA....but then they still wouldn't let her see her partner??? What an outrage!

Thanks to President Obama changing the law....gay and lesbians are People too, who have the same feelings as other people. This story is very sad.

But congratulations to anice and Lisa who won in the end!!

She is absolutely right...it is a Human right!

April 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Thank goodness this woman had a relationship with the dying woman's relative, otherwise this would have been even worse. What's even better is to have a Power of Medical Decision, etc., as opposed to just the Power of Attorney.

April 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Matthew

I love living in Canada. Taxes are a strange thing just about anywhere, but sometimes a dumb thing. So basically i'm saying that I really hate them!

April 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Bob Russell

We need to get over the stigma's of gay and lesbian people, republicans and democrats and work toward making America what it should be...America

April 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Kimberly T. - Northern Cali

@Sonya – Sorry to hear about your medical bills, but I'm glad the tax system is working for you.

@Cameron – That is why I'm unhappy with the tax system. It seems that if you lie somewhere between just above poverty to lower middle class, taxation seems unfair. Unless you can afford accountants and great tax help, we seem to bear much of the brunt. I looked at the Obama's return online. They made over 5 million dollars last year and got a refund of over $8K. I made a tiny fraction of that and had to pay around $3K.

April 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Pat Dawson

I find the more people have wealth the more they want to hang onto material things. We don't mind paying more taxes to help the sick and needy. We see many people talking out of two sides of their mouth. It doesn't take long to see what a person's true soul is like.

April 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Sue R --Canton,Mi

This happened to a lady I use to have lunch with at work. Her and her partner owned a home together. she could not see her partner at the end of her life,nor did she have any say in her death. It was real sad.

April 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  36. LisaL -Canada

what would happen if someone had no family members, but a close friend who would function as a 'next closest person'? i suppose they would be denied access and the person would be alone and possibly die alone. that doesn't seem quite right.

April 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Emily

This story now, it's really sad! After 17yrs together....they sound like they were doing everything correctly, legally, .... seems very unfair.

April 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Cheryl

There may be lots of folks at tea parties, but there are a lot more of us that don't attend the large ones. Main protest is government not listening to the people. As a voter in Arizona I know who I will be voting for and it won't be a congresswoman who would not listen. Social Security was paid into for 50 years so I guess that is an entitlement. Go figure

April 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Stephanie

How many people in other countries who are below the poverty line pay no taxes? Was that considered in your comparison? Other countries may also have deductions that reduce the amount of their income that they pay on.

April 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I feel so badly for Janice. I am so sorry for her loss. I am sure this made it so much worse.

April 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Jamie L Parham

Wondering if the tax rates quoted from other countries include state, municipal or other such and if not do those countries have such?

April 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  42. mark

Solution: A flat tax. Everyone should pay there far share. to many people and corporation get a free ride

April 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Jessica

I always owed taxes as a student and I made less than 12K per year... So sad. We work so hard and too much of our money gets taken away. There must be a better way!

April 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

April 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Cessy - Chicago

i didnt know that there are any restrictions for visiting patients ( same sex partners). That is crazy!!! Why would anyone restrict people from seeing their loved ones?

April 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Even with legal documentation, Gays & Lesbians are still prevented from being with their loved ones when they are ill or dying, This is very, very common.

April 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Brian

Will you post the graphs you showed that indicated tax of medium income families ?

April 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

I never knew there was a rule of a hospital to deny gay and lesbians from seeing their loved ones. Thats wrong. And sad.

April 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Tom from Vermillion, Ohio

I wonder how much of those "tax dollars" ends up in the pockets of "big business" executive as a whole. Whats the "bottom line" there?

April 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. John

Why aren't we cutting down on the amount of dollars we are giving to to the 47% who don't pay any taxes at all?

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |