April 15th, 2010

Are You Overtaxed?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. On tax day, the Tea Party Express turns up its volume. They say taxes are too high and government too expensive. Are they right? We'll give you the facts and let you decide. Plus, the big 360° interview. Jack Kevorkian talking about life and death.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. fRED

Everything we buy has an embedded tax, companies only are collectors for the government.

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Claus

@Jane, WI
    Warren wants inheritance taxed as well. I always laugh at that one since he's giving all of his money to charity which will not be taxed.

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  3. gail

Proud member of the "The Other 95%" that got a tax CUT and a refund! Thanks President Obama!

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh goodness!! look like fireball up the sky????? No, I think it is meteor shower, I guess. No UFO!

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan everyone.

Why as a percentage of income was income tax so high in 1951 or was that 1953? And why is it so low now?

Those numbers do significantly undercut the Tea Party's concern about being overtaxed but I thought the pt you made in your discussion with John Avlon about what's coming in the way of taxes is a good question.

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Gene

Interesting statistics on percentage of income payed as taxes in various countries. Something is missing however, namely the growing number of people (nearly 50%) in this country who don't pay taxes, thus shifting the burden of taxpaying onto the remainder of the population. How was that figured into the numbers?

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  7. chris

It's all relative the more you make the more they take if they can. The middle class always ends up getting ripped off because the people that make alot more $ then the middle class know how to hide it in many ways. The middle class cannnot hide their money. This divide of too many have's and have not's are obivious. What states have the highest rates and are the most expensive East and West coast pretty much. Need to ask why?

April 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Emily

What are the odds that an extra tax on products is going to be brought in?
    (just like there is on all products much like they have in most of the countries that AC showed on that list of countries earlier).

April 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  9. keith, okc,okla

Too many jobs going over sea's adds to loss of fully taxable income. Seems we have to pay for it here.

April 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Jennifer

Good piece on the taxes. Not fair for certain!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Claus

One point that was not made on taxes is that some people actually receive refunds for more than they paid because of earned income credits. And many of those people are making more than $30,000 perhaps as much as $50,000 or more.

April 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  12. charlie

@ Kieth. The US is clearly not overtaxed compared to other countries. Trouble is the moeny is spend on military, rather then serives for taxpayers.

April 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Helen

I am so over taxes. It is a necessary evil. I rarely get a return.

April 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Tax Day.
    I saw a little of your interview with Dr. Kevorkian earlier. It looks fascinating. I find it strange that he can compare saving a life by the necessity of removing a limb with ending a life because a person is suffering. I can understand his thought process, but death as a remedy goes against a doctor's purpose for saving lives and for complete healing. Anyway, it looks like you have some great interviews again tonight.

April 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Jane - WI

Of course, the country is evenly divided when it comes to taxes. 47% don't pay any federal income tax, and 40% of that 47% actually get a check back from Uncle Sam. I would think I'm not taxed too much if I didn't have to pay any income tax as well.

April 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yup! it is correct we only have cheaper than higher our enomony as my healthcare like that, Good point, Tom! 🙂

April 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Claus

@Cameron,
    That's a tough break and you should receive a break as a student.

April 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Jane - WI

Taxes are going up for those "rich" people making over $250,000. Many small businesses fall into that category. also, $250,000 is far from "rich". Folks like Warren Buffet claim that they want to pay more in taxes. I say go for it. Send in an extra check, Warren. to compare someone like Warren Buffet with someone who makes $250,000 is ludicrous. A couple of kids in college and few allowable tax credits does not make $250,000 "rich".

April 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Looks like entitlements make up 60% of the budget. With health care it will get much higher.

April 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  20. heidi

I have no problem paying taxes. Our dollars provide us with military, firefighters, teachers. They build our roads and maintain them. And so on and so forth. I can understand when you are scraping by but for the wealthy to be so me me me about it kind of disgusts me.

April 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Emily

Hello Anderson, 360Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Gabriela, Megan, Starr, David & Isabel, Gloria, Casey, Dodie, Cessy, Nancy A.Smith, Devin, Nicole & Bloggers!

April 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  22. keith

Overtaxed and underpaid. The new american way. Hooraa!

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Stephanie

The problem with the tea party is is that it offers no concrete solutions. Everyone wants cuts in spending until it ends up in their own backyard...like cuts to obselete weapons, reductions in the space program....

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  24. carla

in life in america you can believe two things will happen....you pay taxes ...and you die...fact

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

I did Taxes online in Jan as soon as those W2s came in. I needed the money back.

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Sonya, TN

@Kimberly, after home, two kids in college, and medical bills... leaves my without paying for last year. I need all the help I can get for these medical bills. I am still over 10,000 in debt for medical bills and its still growing.

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There should be a flat tax. Everyone, and I mean everyone should pay the same percentage tax.

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Cameron

Anderson-
    Appreciate the comments on Taxes, but I have to disagree. I'm a 24 year-old senior in college, paid just over 30% in taxes this year, mostly from my summer job in NYC. I think its an outrage! I'm willing to pay my fair share, but give me a break!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Happy tax day. Good to be with all of you tonight.

April 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Ben in Uk

Correction Re: tax rates internationally.

UK has a 50% tax bracket now. You incorrectly quoted UK as being 40%

April 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Claus

The tax burden has fallen this year primarily because of tax credits; not changes in tax rates.

April 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Things are seriously wrong when half of us pay all the taxes and carry the other half.

April 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

People can laugh at the protesters, but they have the same right to protest as anyone else.

April 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Good evening Anderson, 360 Crew and fellow Bloggers (esp Heather and Jo Ann)

Looking forward to the Jack K interview tonight.

April 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Sonya, TN

@Charlie. I agree to much money goes toward the military sector

April 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Kimberly T. - Northern Cali

91% WOW!! I couldn't imagine.

@Sonya, I need tax advice from you 🙂 I paid around 9.5% after adjustments.

April 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Connie Aaron

Im in the highest tax bracket-single female $50,000. No one talks about how much tax Im paying(esp. since Im a teacher!). We only hear about families are paying enormous amts. of taxes. I wish the media would focus on taxes relating to my subgroup...
    As for the teaparties...just saw on the news all the parents who brought their kids-they must of kept them out of school(great parenting!!)

April 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Steve

Just sent my tax return this morning. TurboTax said I had an effective taxrate of 3.3% out of an AGI $66K

April 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  39. chris

The dollar was worth more in 1959 than what it is now. The taxes maybe lower but the dollar went alot further.

April 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  40. charlie

The president paid $1.8M trax on income of $5.5M. That is just 33%.
    Wow the US has suhc low tax rate. I think the problem is that they spend it on military.

April 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I hate to laugh at the signs, but some of the signs are comedy!

April 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  42. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & entire Team 360.

Hello, David, Isabel, Gabriela, Nancy, Kim, Devin, Nichole, Mike, Megan, Emily, Mike, A. SMith, Casey, everyone....

Tax Day!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I did pay my taxes tonight, it is very important to do pay IRS! I agree with Anderson! Wow!!! Netherlands 52 %!

April 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Claus

Anderson,
    You said half of the people think we pay too much and half do not. Wouldn't that make sense since half of us pay no federal income tax?

April 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Sonya, TN

I didnt pay any taxes this year and I made almost 100,000 last year.

April 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Isabel

Good evening Anderson!

Hello David (Indiana), Megan, Starr, Gabriela, Emily and everyone!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Cessy - Chicago

good evening to you wonderful AC360 staff and fans!

Hi Anderson 🙂

April 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Lisa Bloom, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David Gergen, Ed Henry, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!

April 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Kimberly T. - Northern Cali

Hey Anderson!

Good evening 360 crew and fellow bloggers. There's a lot in the news today, should be interesting.

April 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |