April 14th, 2010

Battle Over Wall Street Reform: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. Is the effort to rein in Wall Street greed coming undone because of raw politics? Plus, the latest on the deadly earthquake in China and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gigi -Big Tex

Good for Demi Moore, I am glad that she went, helped, saw and came back with a story to tell. Bless anyone that goes out there and adds their little grain of sand to rebuild the land and uplift the Haitian people.

Haiti is a place that is filled with good hearted people that need and deserve a change. The people, "the great people of Haiti" deserve to break away from the corrupt mentality of the politicians and the system that they've established to oppress the poor, the hungry, and the innocent. There has to be a serious watch from the international communities over Haiti's path to recovery so that these "dirty politics" do not get in the way of the effort of helping the people "the great people of Haiti" rebuild their nation in a peaceful and honorable manner.

April 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "I still doubt the motives of most celebrity 'pop-ups' when there is a disaster. I trust the real helpers on the ground more."

And those people rarely get the respect they deserve.

April 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

Leave it to Hollywood to celebrate something like this and show other kids that you can get fame for doing something like this

April 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Fawn

I can't believe this kid even has a fan page on Facebook, none the less people encouraging the guy to keep going and saying he's their idol.

April 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Helen

I don't see why people are upset at celebrities humanitarian work. Who has time and money to travel the globe to shed a spotlight on crisis? They can make a movie for 3 months for millons of dollars and help victims everywhere. Wether they do it for publicity or not, wether we like them or not, the should be applauded,(not a demi and Ashton fan)

April 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

A real life Catch Me If You Can.

April 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Sue

Great interview with Demi Moore. Very moving. I am actually very impressed with Demi – she was not fake.. she is very real and in touch with herself. THANKS AC!

April 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Jane

@Sheila Toomey, Yes, Angelina Jolie was in Haiti in February. She is a goodwill ambassador , her job is to travel to see kids affected by war and disasters.

April 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Isabel

@Nancy

I'm a little reactive to celebrities and their charities, but there are exceptions. Demi Moore seems to me one of them.

April 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Emily

I remember first hearing about him.

April 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Claire

Why have deadly earthquakes been so common recently?

April 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Tracy in Texas

Sonya…I was just thinking the same thing. Demi Moore and I are pretty much the same age. I look pretty young for my age, but wow she's got me beat.

April 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Heather, I agree. The last AC360 interview of Sean Penn showed a person worn out by helping.

April 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Isabel

@Anderson

great interview with Demi Moore. Thanks!

April 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Cessy - Chicago

DNA foundation seems like a great cause... glad to know that people are doing more than just making money

April 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

Who knew – Demi is interested and involved with child slavery issues.

I hope her foundation really works out. As she said, child slavery is a Global issue, not only in Haiti.

God bless Sean Penn's efforts and his camp. I believe he is really making a difference in Haiti.

I agree with Anderson re: the "Spirit" of the Haitian people. That was so very obvious when AC360 team was in Haiti.

April 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Sue

Good evening Anderson! That was a great question you asked – very insightful question – how Demi Moore feels – more or less hopeful now that she has visited Haiti. Perhaps you had a similar reflective moments after visiting Banda Aceh.
    Yes, What Demi Moore said is also very insightful. It is true. The horror of what she saw probably would make her conflicted. Just seeing the scenes is making me conflicted about what they are going through. I just hope they recover, and soon.

April 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

@Emily, yes it looks terrible in China. Clearly many people are affected by this quake.

I was wondering about medical aid being sent too. Is international aid being sent?

@Starr good pt. I heard Sen. Gregg on saying there are four core elements for financial reform. I didn't catch what those are, but I guess there are basic principles that congressmen and women are looking for.

April 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

Haiti needs a lot, Isabel. I still doubt the motives of most celebrity 'pop-ups' when there is a disaster. I trust the real helpers on the ground more.

April 14, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Sue R --Canton,Mi

It doesn't bother me that someone who is of celebrity status speaks for the people of Haiti. Their voices will be heard because of their status and if that help's these people who are in need of so much,,then thats a good thing .

April 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Paula, Colorado

Anderson, it's great you are able to interview celebrities who are or have been in Haiti–rather than just mentioning them there.

April 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Karen, MN

It's great to see Demi doing such wonderful work for Haiti.

April 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Emily

How much does Twitter do for people?
    I know from others, that Demi & Ashton are doing things for this on their Twitter sites, which I'm not on....how many people can they effect?

April 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Sonya, TN

Is Demi even aging? She is beautiful and almost 50!

April 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Fawn

I have a lot of respect for Demi Moore for doing this. You can tell she isn't just another celebrity looking for her moment in the spotlight for helping the people in Haiti.

April 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

@Jo Ann I completely agree with you. Has Angelina Jolie visited Haiti? Celebrities and politics don't mix,.

April 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Isabel

Demi Moore's mission is admirable! Haiti needs it!

April 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish the people well in China with the recovery of their loved ones.

April 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Emily

Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"You can honor the soldiers who fought without honoring the 'system' they came from."

this is very true! a soldier just does what he/she is told to do, correct?
    also, if you are told that are you going to a certain place, that is where you go, right? (I could never do that! I have so much respect for those that are in the Military!)

April 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

That's how I take it, JoAnn...it seems like a 'between films' publicity grab to me.

April 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "Gee, Demi Moore. Not exactly the same level of dedication as Sean Penn."

No, but since she hasn't been working much lately, I guess she has some time on her hands and this is a chance for some free publicity.

April 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. starr, formerly known as vincent

Really appreciate that CNN got such a good reporter to the affected area in China. Much better to be there so reports are accurate.

Once again, our (family & friends) thoughts and prayers are with the Tibetins and Chinese who have been so severely affected. May God bless them and supplies arrive ASAP.

April 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Sonya, TN

I must say that the conderate flag is very sensitive situaltion in TN, the only people that wave the flag or have it posted on their bumpers and houses are not very friendly to minorities.

April 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Karen, MN

Another earthquake. I is so sad to see all this devastation.

April 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "I agree, JoAnn. Where did Demi Moore suddenly come from?!"

She and her husband supposedly have some kind of foundation to stop child slavery in Haiti. I think most of these celebrities get involved in these things because it is free publicity. I just don't trust them and I would never donate to their causes.

April 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Jane

Another horrific disaster. My condolences to the chinese people.

April 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Chaney, Louisiana

Lisal in Canada, I do believe Sarah palin has the shrillest voice and it gets on my nerves....I am tired of her anyway.... I am very unhappy with the Repub. leadership they are trying to do the same with banking reform as they did with HC, if you cant win by any other means just lie and mislead the American people.

April 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Tracy in Texas

Mike-very true. Southern folks felt as though they were fighting for their freedom…again.

April 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Ok so this kid has stolen big items... AND updates Facebook?! You'd think that the Feds would trace the IP addresses and track him down.

April 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Emily

This has been something that Demi Moore has been pushing on her Twitter page...

April 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

April 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Sonya, TN

I understand the need to preserve your heritage, but it is what it is. Don't try to change history and put those on a pedestal that doesn't deserve it.

April 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Helen

@Alfredo: Thanks your service! About political party, learn as much as you can and decide which one fits better with your current situation and future needs. That is usually how I decide to vote. Things are a little scary right know. You really need to think for yourself.

April 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  44. starr, formerly known as vincent

How can Any American Celebrate the assasination of Pres. Lincoln (sorry-sp??).

I really don't understand the celebration of the Confederacy.

April 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  45. charlie

@ Sonya. a couple to Tea party representiatives were asked that questions on CNN and answered yes. They also stated their aim was to taek the country back to it's status when founded. A curious political platform " We want to take the country backwards by a few hundred years".

April 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We have so many text books, novels and movies about the Civil War!

April 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

It doesn't surprise me that white supremicists have joined the sons of the confederate vetrans. Hey guys, you lost, get over it!

April 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Actually historians who have reviewed letters and diaries of Confederate soldiers found that they believed they were fighting for their own freedom.

April 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why does 360 keep pushing these racial issues? Instead of healing this country these types of stories push us farther apart.

April 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Nancy in Oregon

That's kinda scary, isn't it Karen?

April 14, 2010 at 10:31 pm |