April 14th, 2010

Battle Over Wall Street Reform: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, keeping them honest. Is the effort to rein in Wall Street greed coming undone because of raw politics? Plus, the latest on the deadly earthquake in China and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

Too big to fail is only part of the problem on Wall Street. Doesn't this also have to do with banks holding mortgages and mortgage back securities simultaneously and extensive derivatives trading?

A great discussion with Paul Begala and Alex Castellanos. Interesting pt about Tea Party being more secular than I guess the Republican base. Also, I kind of agree, if dems can succeed and reform on Wall Street they might get some Tea Party voters. I guess. But why not just get together dems and republicans and work out financial reform?

April 14, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Gee, Demi Moore. Not exactly the same level of dedication as Sean Penn.

April 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Wonz

I applaud the Obama's and their restriction with the girl's use of cell phones and the computer. If there were more parents like them, our country would be a better place. No 24/7 Cyber-bullying. I grew up without a cell phone and a computer (they weren't aroung yet when I was young) and I don't feel I've suffered for it. We actually talked to our friends face to face!

April 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  4. LisaL -Canada

oh i am looking forward to hearing what demi has to say – i think that a lot of the long-term change in haiti is definitely going to have to do with rebuilding the population of children – they need to know that it is possible to grow and develop beyond what they can now not even imagine

April 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, JoAnn. Where did Demi Moore suddenly come from?!

April 14, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

Thats annoying to hear about the IT password changing. In my job I have to change my password almost three times a month! It is so annoying!

April 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana- very good question re: what would Republicans do to change or contribute to Sen. Dodds bill? I don't know, as they seem so busy fighting, i haven't heard Any Rep ideas on financial reform.

@Dee- I agree- campaign finance reform is probably the 1st issue that needs to be addressed above all others. It is apparent, in some cases, that some votes appear to be being "bought".

April 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Nancy in Oregon

There is a lot of common sense to that, Sonya. At a certain point, 'parties' of all types are just so much political and media theater. Real life is an important measure.

April 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Gigi -Big Tex

@Nancy from Oregon, sadly as divided as this country of our is already the added fuel is not necessary, if Mrs. Palin really loved this country as much as she says so then she should try to unite, not fracture an establishment that is already broken – politically I mean.

April 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. David

+ it is a legal matter
    Not a political one. If the rep or the dem
    Think that it is. No reform will take place.

April 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Bill Holcombe

Anderson, thanks for calling out the Republican minority leader for lying about the new bill. I am an independent, who is getting sicker each day of the Republican party for all the lies they are telling the American people and of their name calling and hateful rhetoric. It may be brilliant politics, but it is destroying our country. Thanks also for talking about the Big Short. (read it a couple weeks ago.)

April 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Emily

@Jo Ann,

If Scott Brown contiunes the way that he is going now, not making news for himself, I can see him sliding into that spot for 2012!
    (and I bet many will be 'surprised' by it.)

April 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Jane - Vt

@ Alfredo, thank you for your service.

April 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Tracy in Texas

I can certainly understand the Tea Parties anger. So many politicians doing whatever they want and not paying any attention to their constituants or what's Right.

April 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I find it difficult to believe that someone like Demi Moore who goes to Haiti for a couple days can tell us what is really going on over there. I would rather hear it from the workers or doctors who are spending a lot of time over there and have been there from the beginnng.

I don't have any respect for what celebrities have to say on subjects like this. Sean Penn is the exception, he has been over there for months.

April 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Sue R --Canton,Mi

@ Alfredo– Thank you for serving our country.Hang in there and continue your education. You will figure out what works for you some day. It's hard to figure out politics ,, but I love our great country.

April 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  17. David

While Wall street does not want to be handcuffed in anyway, what is going to happen starting in 2012 to 2014 when all the bonds that the companies have issued come due and they have to come up with the cash to pay them off? Alot of the companies have no funds.

April 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Sonya, TN

I dont care one way or the other about Sarah Palin, Tea Party, coffee party or the Parties. I care about my family and how laws are going to affect me and I can tell you that nothing the republican has passed while in office was good for me (being middle class). But some things that the democrat has passed has been good for me.

April 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

@JoAnn, Im sure there are alot of them who are not all about negativity, but just the ones with really large mouths who are about it are making the rest who are not about that look really bad

April 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Nancy in Oregon

I agree JoAnn...I think a really thoughtful person who is not invested in 'sides' would find something to agree with in what a lot of divergent people say.

April 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Alfredo USF – i liked and appreciated your pos

@Helen, thank you for your info on the banking industry from your viewpoint.

@Emily- I agree, Scott Brown, so far, seems to be his own man.

April 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "Scott Brown has done many smart things I think."

I agree, and I think he is one of those people the pollsters are not thinking about for 2012.

April 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Emily

@David, Indiana,
    The quake in China is a real devastation! The true magnitude will not be known for some time it seems.

April 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  24. LorenaR

I agree @Heather Spokane WA. the tea party thing always makes me laugh and at times it makes me cower in fear for our country. the last tea party i heard about was the one in Alice in Wonderland, and there was a lot of chaos going on at that party.

April 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Tracy in Texas

The democrats are just as bad as the republicans when it comes to bi-partisinism. (Sorry I can't spell)

April 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

I know, Gigi....I agree. Some human beings find meaning in dividing people....some of that is involved with borderline personalities.

April 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  27. LisaL -Canada

comment for alexc : i don't think sarah palin "made a conscious decision" to pursue this path she is on – it is a "door which was opened for her" by someone and she decided to go through it.

April 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Michael

Its my understanding that goverment is setting up a security fund funded by wallstreet for the protection of bad banking practices. this will keep them out of tax payers pocket books. this is good.

April 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Ok, there's too many parties. Dems, Reps, tea, coffee, ind... ARGH

Politics are too confusing. I just started getting involved in politics.... but there are too many groups.

April 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Heather – Spokane, WA, "I am so tired of hearing the republican and the tea party and their negativity."

I think the tea party supporters only sound negative to people who do not agree with them. Just because they are against Obama's policies doesn't mean they are all about negativity.

April 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Nancy in Oregon

I can believe there has been a big change, Alfredo.

April 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Dee

Yes, Sarah Palin HAS done something very smart. check out her speaking fees!

April 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Sue R --Canton,Mi

@ Starr-I agree with you.Sometimes I just don't know who to believe anymore when it come's to these bailouts for the big bank's and corperation's..

April 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Gigi -Big Tex

Good evening AC360 and everyone!
    I am really confused about Sarah Palin? What is her agenda, what is she trying to convey? I personally do not like the way she alienates anyone that is not in agreement with her political views or her agenda. Her speeches seem to be quite divisive and I personally think that she is quite the separatist this Mrs. Palin of theirs (Tea Partiers).

April 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Dee

The Tea Party is ridiculous. Doesn't anyone notice that the folks involved in the Tea Party stuff all seem to have the MONEY to go to some high-dollar hotel for some meeting or rally or speaker?

The folks who really need the chages that a Tea party should bring about can't afford bus fare to go to meet with each other!

April 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  36. starr, formerly known as vincent

Ms. Palin, even for her denial, in essence called Pres. Obama and the Dem's "UnAmerican".

Thats insulting and again, Not civil discourse and Not honest.

April 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Nancy in Oregon

Charlie, SP so often just shouts slogans. No wonder you don't get her point-it's so often to rally crowds, like pep rallies in high school. And of course to boost the turnout, which in turn boosts her dollars-per-hour!

April 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am an independent, but I don't attend the tea parties. However, I think they are right about a lot of issues.

April 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Alfredo USF

I'm a college student and war vet.... I'm still trying to figure out what has gone wrong with my country since I've gotten back to the states. I no longer consider myself a ruplican and I'm really not attracted to the tea party at all. I don't agree with every democratic bill.... but given the alternative, my former party moving too far to the right, I find it hard to support what they are saying. I've started doing my own research and I think some of the statements being made are ridiculous. I think the tea party is ridiculous as it stands. The initial tea party that was formed in the late 90's has been taken over by former republicans... I'll stop because all I am doing is venting.

April 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    Scott Brown has done many smart things I think.

April 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  41. David

Just a though here, want
    Reforme for wall st? You need to look
    At it like a crime, then
    You'll have a change.

April 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Linda in Arizona

Nice work, Paul Begala. Call a spade a spade. Call a liar a liar. Castellanos was so undone he had to resort to tactic number two, attacking Senator Dodd. What a shill.

April 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

There's a lot of truth to that, Sharon Hastings....even something that both sides would agree about seems hard to go forward together on. People and parties are so invested in adversarial relationships! And in taking sides.

April 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Dee

They have BOTH received money. And until there is REAL campaign reform there will NEVER be any other kind of reform. Money talks.

April 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Cessy - Chicago

Paul Begalla...funny but made some good points!

April 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Paul is in excellent form tonight. Yeah!

April 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Jane - Vt

Paul Begala knows exactly what's going on.

April 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Helen

I work for a bank and consumer should be scared. There are still funny mortgage businesses going on. I don't believe in free market without regulation anymore. We need some kind of reform to prevent another crisis. A lot of my clients lost their life saving in the fall of 2008 and they are mad. I am so happy my job was not to sell those types of products to my clients but I still feel their pain.

April 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  49. LisaL -Canada

yikes – still havin' a problem with sarah palin's voice – don't think i could listen to her for too long – kind of a shame because i tune her out before i hear what she's actually saying.

April 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Sonya, TN

Does the Tea Party want to repel Social Security and Medicare?

April 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm |