April 9th, 2010

Bullied to Death? New Insight on Teen's Final Hours: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, new court documents reveal what prosecutors say Phoebe Prince faced from bullies at a Massachusetts high school before she took her own life. Plus, how Haiti's children are back getting an education after January's earthquake.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nancy

Kids have got to learn to stop harassing and hazing. I am so sick of the verbal assults that take place and parents think that their child is not at fault. What are we as parents teaching our children? That is the primary question because so many kids today get no parenting at all. These are the children that are harassing the innocent children. These parents need to take a reality check. Perhaps we need to pass laws to affect the parents of the bullies. Maybe then the bullying will stop.

April 9, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Don

Bullying is something that every parent should look out for – whether their child is being bullied or is the bully. Young people need guidance, they need bounaries. A major problem in our society is that parents don't set enough boundaries and so kids are left to develop mentally and emotionally all by themselves. Because this happens, many young people have no concept of what it means to be a decent human being.

April 9, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Jim - Jersey City, NJ

Hi Anderson, It is so sad to hear of the torment that this young girl went through. I feel that not only are the parents responsible (the bullying monsters learned it from somewhere), but the school principals and vice principals should be replaced and should not get placed in another school. The administration of the South Hadley High School is clearly flawed and it sickens me to see such incompetent people retain their jobs.

April 9, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Nancy

I just rode a lift like that at North Star, Lake Tahoe. It's tricky.

April 9, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Evan - Canada

Have a great weekend Anderson, ac360 crew and bloggers!

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you and good night Anderson & Team 360. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Good nightm david, isabel, nancy, megan, dulcie, dodie, a. smith, mike, gabriela, devin, nichole, everyoSen. Stune. Hope you all have a great and safe weekend.

I'm sorry that Sen Supack is not running for re-election.

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Isabel

Good night Anderso, 360 team and bloggers!

Great show today!!!

See you next Monday!
    Have a great weekend!

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

A note about the dow.

Looks like a rough lift.

Good night everyone. Great weekend to all.

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Have a good weekend and enjoy!

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Stephanie, Megan, Jessica, Candy, David G, Ed Henry, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Starr, Heather, Sharon and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you on Monday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!! Have a great weekend! Thanks for coming in to join us tonight!
    Day of the shot with my favorite ski on the mountain!! LOL!! Awesome shot, LOL So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!! OUCH!! LOL I agree you and Lisa!! Oh no!!! 🙂 😀

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight!

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you on Monday night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson and Gary and bloggers Emily, Mike, Starr, and Kenya. Have a great weekend everyone!

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  12. donna

Parents of bullies are sometimes not aware because the schools "what happens at school should stay at school" policy

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Soledad Gomez

better late than never, goodnight.

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  14. Lezlie

Anderson, let me say you are one of few on CNN that truly reports the news, the facts and lets the viewer make the decision. Far too many of the CNN anchors (particurlarily those that come on during the week at 8 am CST) give their personal opinion etc. They are quickly losing credibility.

Now, regarding the bullying story, as I continue to listen to this story and the commentary, I am struck by how the same behavior is being exhibited in our legislature, by citizens (under the guise of the tea party) yet we find ways to justify their bullying. How many of these students will grow up to mirror the adult behavior being experienced now. Further this mean spirited behavior is being disguised under patriotism, when it is heavily tainted with racism, bigotry and hatred. If we review the election results, the current behavior should not be surprising; however should not be tolerated.

I am sickened by the hatred, more by the media supporting and in some cases insighting this bad behavior. this is the 60's all over again, I hope the US is ready for ensuing destruction....with more dangerous individuals on all sides.

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  15. DaveY

Oops sorry, that should be Pheobe not Emily.

April 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  16. Jane

What a great story about Haiti. I glad to see the kids are back in school.

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Night Anderson have a great night.

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Kim- Ohio

Good night Anderson, 360 Team, fellow bloggers!!!

Another great show!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!]]

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Steve

Working in a school as a resource officer I find this very disturbing but can see how this could get out of hand. Kids are so desperate to fit in that most of the time noone knows what is happening until they are on the edge. The other thing is laws in our Country I am not sure about every state but in the state I work there are no laws for bullying unless you fall back to assault and batter, harassment, or stalking and sometimes it is very hard to make those cases. The school district however does have a zero tolerence policy for bullying and the high school i am at does a good job dealing sternly with it. I truely hate this young lady was put through. Parents if you feel something is not right with your child talk to them, their friends, and the school.

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Lesa, Wilmington DE

I feel for the parents of the girl who committed suicide for being bullied. What has happened in our society that parents allow teens to act this way? Im only 37 but NEVER even remember it happening in school AND if I EVER did that as a kid my parents would have killed me! Why arent the parents of kids that bullied being held accountable for anything. They KNOW their kids-dont tell me they didnt know their own kids personalities. Its just awful that parents dont teach compassion and respect. If either of my sons EVER bully anyone–the consequences would be awful. Weve talked about that. Their schools have a no tolerence policy and have no issues.

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  21. Andrea, NC

I think in today's society the problem lies in the parents. The parents cannot even spank their children without Child Services getting involved in life. When I was a kid, If I ever tried to bully anyone, my mother would have kicked my you know what. My son is having this problem in school and thank goodness for the faculty their, they nipped in the bud. But it will happen again so it is known that if the parents cannot correct the problem by punishment or a smack in the rear than it is only going to get worse in this world.

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  22. LisaL -Canada

skiiers beware!
    nite all – have a gr8 weekend

April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  23. will

Mr Anderson,
    I worked as a middle school teacher in Watsonville California until I was pink slipped. Nearly half the qualified teachers I know are now collecting unemployment instead of working. With over-sized classes, and lack of support teachers loose control of the school environment. Sadly the students in response lash out against each other.

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  24. Karoline, Los Angeles

I don't understand Catholic leaders. I guess they think pedophilia is just a thing that can be prayed away?

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  25. Rachel

I see parallels between the bullying and the situation in Hollenback. In both there is a fear of those involved and bystanders to assist in reporting to officials for fear of retaliation. In both situations there is the truth that their stepping forward will not solve the problem, but rather will put them and associates in danger. Group dynamics at work.

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  26. donna

I think there should be a law if you are caught bullying its the same as putting your hands on the person. Assault, pure and simple

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  27. ali hassan

Hey Anderson
    First of all, I know how bullying distroys kids because I experienced first hand when I came to this country as a young man and started gooing to high school I was bullied very bad. But I think we are missing the point of not understanding some times bullying is based on racial and ethnic domination. so this yound girl being coming from other country, I believe has something to do with it. So we need to educate kids about diversity and this country being country of immigrants.

thanks

Ali

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  28. Mere

I'm not surprised at the level of viciousness that these girls displayed in the tormenting of their classmate. Teenage females are some of the cruelest people out there. The levels of jealousy, rage and intimidation that are mixed with surging hormones in today's image & power driven society, is nothing short then a recipe for disaster. Parents should be enforcing the golden rule from birth. Words do more damage then fists in most cases. Just b/c you don't see the wounds doesn't mean that they aren't there.

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  29. Julie Barbados

We just had 3 children ages 12 – 15 including 1 girl charged with manslaughter in the case of a student who met his death after bbeing struck by a car tring to escape the alleged bullies. Phoebe's case is unfortunate we need pArents and axults to get involved to prevent bullying from hAppening but a lot of people seem to misjudge the problem as minor fall outs that chldren can resolve themselves.

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  30. Kenya

So good to see the people of Haiti moving forward with their lives and appreciating the value of education.
    Great show tonight AC.
    Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  31. Jean

What happened to the Irish teenager should never have occurred. It could have been avoided. These children who bullied her are rebellious and lack discipline and regard for others. Did they receivee proper nurturing? The principal and teacher(s) disregarded her complaints and pleas. They appeared to be incompetent and should be fired. Did they not realize the seriousness of bullying and what it could lead to? The parents should sue the school board.

April 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm |