March 31st, 2010

Bullies & Victims: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we're looking for answers in the suicide of a Massachusetts high school student. Prosecutors say bullies drove Phoebe Prince to take her own life. Some are saying the school completely missed the trouble. You'll hear from the principal. We're keeping them honest. Plus, Pres. Obama's new plan for offshore drilling. Is he flip-flopping from comments he made on the campaign trail and we continue our week-long series 'Scientology: A History of Violence".

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jaker, Dublin, Ireland

Scienthology are more a cult than a church...a brainwashing cult!

March 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Emily

David Miscavige NEEDS to speak up for himself!
    What a coward!!! IF he has Nothing to hide.... & is SO proud of his religion... Anderson is giving him a platform here...what is he waiting for?

March 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Ann

Tam............there are other choices for your son. Local private schools and boarding schools have more authority and are not afraid to use it. If one doesn't work, try another, but never give up on helping your son. He is counting on you!

March 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Karoline, Los Angeles

To win claw game: find a small child who can crawl inside. 😉

March 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@JoAnn...you're absolutely correct. However do we think any of them would have ever gotten elected if not making promises? I wonder.

March 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Jan

Anderson you totoally called them on this... it's crazy... that they "handle" this matter internally... it's crap..

March 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Anderson, I think it would help to explain to viewers the problems with leaving the church of Scientology. This may account for why these guys waited so long to leave.

Having said that, I cannot believe someone would inflict pain on another person because some nut in the church told him/her to. Don't they have any basic understanding of right and wrong?

March 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Cessy - Chicago

is punching, beating and other types of violence part of Scientology
    "auditing"? I doubt it. And why do they wear a uniform?

March 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Molly

Did she just say it was dealt with internally? Aren't they compelled to report it to police?

March 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  10. carolyn j

hello,
    wow great show tonight and last night , thank you ANDERSON, AND YOUR STAFF, you all are HERO'S.
    you bring the real stories to life. stay honest.

March 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

Scientology sounds more and more like a cult. Everyone is so overly defensive there even when the questions are being asked. It explains Tom Cruise's behavior

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Lori, S. California, USA!

I think that beatings are against the law.

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Who lying???? I don't believe what he saying at all. I don't like Scientology church...... YIKES!

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  14. William Leary

Scientologists are strange to begin with but now letting other people beat you up and not telling anyone about it is just the icing on the cake

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Kenya

Bullies need to be EXPELLED. End of story. They can find other people in society to torment so they end up as juvenile delinquents. Then the law will deal them.
    Evening Anderson, team 360 and bloggers!

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  16. tracy mower

Anderson thanks for the work you do to keep us intuch

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Jan

Tommy Davis keeps burying himself deeper and deeper he's jsut a joke...

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Pam Ellis

Those upper level SO chumps could not keep their flawed stories straight. And the crazy eyes don't help.

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

No one called the police...not a shock to me. Some 'families' and some groups really have their members scared.

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Emily

Those in the "sea org"... they look like they are wearing Military Uniforms.
    I thought that was illegal! I guess that's true only for the Police?

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  21. sue r

I believe most of the ex-member's of the church.After all many of them gave a huge portion of their life to scientology. Why would they leave if there wasn't a reason?

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Nicole from the Netherlands

Hi Anderson! again thanks for adressing this! Loved your `keeping them honest´ about `the church` yesterday! So good, what an investigation. It´s like an thriller book. Be careful next week in Haiti! And give Sean Penn a hug.. he needs it..
    Hope your reporting will bring a move for the Haitian people..
    Where is the money?

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Donovan

Anderson, back then Obama said "we cannot drill our way out of our problems". Today he is advocating drilling. There's no contradiction there. Two different things. Is your reporter suggesting Obama said he would not drill oil?

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Molly

I don't understand the meaning of the Navy-theme costumes worn by Scientologists.

March 31, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Karoline, Los Angeles

The more I hear about this church the more it sounds like basic gang behavior. Loyalty or else.

March 31, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Emily

@Megan,

Hi Megan, 🙂
    I agree..The Beat360 was very funny tonight.

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  27. A. Smith, Oregon

Seems like Scientology really tried to go after South Park over Tom Cruise and other well done jokes they put together in typical South Park fashion. They sound like a gang of thugs.

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderson, nice to see you on the blog.

Yes, there are a large number of stories on the blog from victims of bullying.

That's why i thank you for reporting on this story and hope you will continue to do so until it stops.

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Sharian

The adults in our communities need to be adults and call the bullies out for their behavior: teachers and parents. Regretfully, we live in a society where being mean and acting badly seems to cool. Maybe that's always been true. The difference between "the good old days" and now is that bad behavior wasn't as easily accepted. Parents knew kids could be cruel and their kid was no exception. If a bullied child feels there is no one to turn to then they feel trapped. A trapped child sees few choices. Adults need to stop looking the other way.

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Anderson, We should not paint all teachers with the same brush, but we should be aware that teachers, just like students, want to be liked and do not want to end up being the target of these same bullies. It is a big problem when teachers want to be accepted by the so-called "popular" cliques. Believe it or not, it happens more than you think.

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    The descriptions of physical violence in the Church seem credible–they have a common thread, but are not really identical.

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Pam Ellis

Jeff Hawkins is not credible because he protests with other critics?
    lol

March 31, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Fred T

my violent stepfather was a scientology member. he flexed his muscle around the house. full out decked my little brother to keep him in line. My experience with the church is that of unwavering ego ridden members who love confrontation.

March 31, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Kevin, KY

My wife was bullied at her work and was later fired in retaliation after filing a grievance. My children have been bullied on the bus for over 2 years. I finally stepped up and said it was enough and it was not going to happen anymore. I spoke with the schools and the family of the children. When the laws don't support you, you have to decide to take a stand or the worst case will happen sooner or later.

March 31, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Yeah, Me too, That was so sad for them. This was breaking my heart for boy!!!! 🙁 I agree with you. I know how parents felt, too.

March 31, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  36. A. Smith, Oregon

Hello Anderson, thank you for joining us! Yes, I agree it's really heartbreaking to see such a wonderful child end his own life and literally destroy his parents lives over bullying issues.

March 31, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Cessy - Chicago

Hi! Anderson 🙂

March 31, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Pam Ellis

We get a few weeks worth of oil AT THE MOST from additional off shore drilling. The US uses a lot of oil compared to other nations.
    We did not win the fossil fuel lottery, so if we want to be independent for foreign oil, we have to be independent from oil, period. That will not be easy, but just sayin'.

March 31, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Mei, Arizona

Anderson,
    Who do you believe??

March 31, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Karoline, Los Angeles

@Anderson-Their pain is unbearable. I really hope schools wake up and start to do some urgent interventions.

March 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Lori, S. California, USA!

So much chatting tonight!

Starr, I was bullied as a young adult. I think that we all need to speak up and fight against this dreadful behavior.

March 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Debbie

I'm a parent of a child that was bullied in school.Needless to say she experienced stomach aches and other health issues which kept her out of classes.School officials just brushed it off and said it was just the age and that everyone gets bullied and gets through it. As long as it doesn't get physical there wasn't much they could do.I'm glad to say that she has her GED and is a CNA. As time goes by this problem seems to be getting worse.Maybe this needs to be addressed early in grade school.A conflict resolution panel made up of students,teachers and professionals should be in place where needed.Being bullied should not be apart of childhood.Enough is enough!

March 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, " When I look back I see every President changing course."

That is why they should not "promise" anything.

March 31, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh yes!!!! Nice one!!! I do love beat 360!!! LOL!! I like Tom's caption is best caption I read!!!!! Congrats Tom and Adam! 🙂

March 31, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  45. andersoncnn

evening everyone, sorry im late.. just been reading the chat... amazing how widespread bullying is.. and i agree with the teacher who said we shouldnt paint all teachers with the same brush...

my heart breaks for the carmichaels...a 13 year old boy hanging himself in a barn.. it's unthinkable.

March 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Jan

@ Tamara... Well there's two sides to every story.. the church seems to deny any and all allegations.. which is suspect in itself.. the people coming forward are admitting to their part in it but also saying enough is enough David Miscavaige the head of the church is a cowrad for not speaking for hiimself..

March 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Michala, Idaho

Hi Anderson,

I teach the 5th grade and deal with bullying on a daily basis. Sometimes I feel helpless, and what I do is not working. Consequences often seem like a band-aid., and I desperately want to help my students. How can I really put a stop to this in my classroom and on the playground?
    Thanks for bringing light to this issue!

March 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I never believe what politicians say, especially when they promise the kinds of things Obama promised. They always find ways to change their minds after they get elected that is why they should never promise anything, they should just lay out their platform and say they will do what they can to fulfill it.

March 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Rhonda

My 18 year old college student was threatened with arrest today for stopping an assault. A Scottsdale, AZ police officer told her in front of some 50+ students that she should have let the fight between two other girls happen. The aggressor outweighed the victim by an easy 60 pounds. My daughter told the officer that what he said lacked logic and was absolutely insane and she would do it all again regardless of the threat of charges. So here we have men in Police uniforms telling young adults to work out there issues with their fists...brilliant.

March 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Ruth

When I was young, I was bullied and teased on a daily basis for my weight. It was very painful for me at the time and still is just lokking back. Fortunatly, I have worked on my self-esteem issues and doing very well as a young adult. Tonight after watching the segment of Anderson's interview with the parents of the 13 year old boy whom committed suicide after being bullied by classmates. I weep for all those poor kids whom suffered from the taunts of the bullies to the point of taking their own lives. I weep for the familes and friends for their loss. I weep for the bullies, who can't seem to understand that words can kill. But most of all, I weep for my younger self who was put down but eventually thrived. And to Scott, I'm glad you survived as well! Thanks Anderson and all the staffers for bringing these stories to light.

March 31, 2010 at 10:40 pm |