March 31st, 2010

Bullies & Victims: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we're looking for answers in the suicide of a Massachusetts high school student. Prosecutors say bullies drove Phoebe Prince to take her own life. Some are saying the school completely missed the trouble. You'll hear from the principal. We're keeping them honest. Plus, Pres. Obama's new plan for offshore drilling. Is he flip-flopping from comments he made on the campaign trail and we continue our week-long series 'Scientology: A History of Violence".

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. A. Smith, Oregon

America needs to totally revamp its Electrical Grid into a 3rd. Generation Electrical Grid to transform America's dependence from foreign Oil to homegrown Electrical energy. Only a Democratic led administration is willing to do this and I hope this is done soon.

March 31, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Sim Chambers

I hope that President Obama will be strategic about offshore drilling and also leave some room for negotiation with the Republicans. I recommend limiting the drilling to Sarah Palin's neighborhood since "drill baby drill" was her idea. We should put so many offshore drilling rigs in her front yard that she can no longer see Russia. At least she won't have to worry about Putin anymore.

March 31, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Brad and JoAnn. When I look back I see every President changing course. I don't see it as flip-flopping as much as I see it as acknowledging the newly-learned realities of the job and the associated issues that require shifting gears, just as businesses do daily to stay afloat.

March 31, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  4. William Leary

If it makes more jobs available for Americans, I wont mind it.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Fred T

I think Barack's decision to drill was made with a serious look at our options as a nation to free our dependency on foreign oil. I trust our Pres has our best interest for the long term in mind and that he had to make a very tough choice knowing full well of campaign promises. I empathize with his tightrope walk. I am also proud of Barack for showing some spine this year and taking the reigns like the leader we expected to see last January.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Anthony

Evening AC360,

It was heart wrenching to watch these parents. The mom holding back tears to get her message out and the dads vacant look, lost without his son and best friend.

Anderson, your near loss of words at the close of the interview spoke volumes about your compassion for them. Great reporting as always.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Tamara

I don't know much about the church of scientology,but this all sounds suspect to me. Not just from one sise but both.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

I'm disappointed that Obama is going in this direction. The sooner we start on renewable sources of energy the quicker we can get away from oil and coal. Obama is extending more of the same and not taking an aggressive stance towards protecting our environment. The fact that the oil industry, etc. is now pleased with Obama is not good news for our planet.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  9. starr, formerly known as vincent

I agree with Pres. Obama's plan to drill in certain areas.

I have strong concerns about the environment, but also see the practical aspect of what he was saying.

As David Gergen said, it is only a "part" of the energy program that Obama supports. It is going to take many years to change over to greeen energy. In the meantime, we remain heavily dependent upon oil.

It is absolutely a national security issue.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's important for oil drilling save our money the gas and cars to pay.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Emily

@Nancy B,

I think that the Church of Scientology is even worse that the Catholic Church as I think of them more as a 'Cult'... listening to the members speak....when they do!

March 31, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  12. David, Indiana

I feel very sorry for the Carmichaels. Maybe that's not the way to say it, but they have my deepest sympathies.

@Starr I read your post last night, I am not sure what to say but am glad you are here. I agree with you parents have to be right on top of this. That and teachers taking anyone bullying or in any way pushing another student around to task immediately and informing the parents immediately. As I thought about this since last night I realized that in the school system where I went to High School, the teachers and principals for some reason were very serious and attentive to any fighting, bullying, it did happen unfortunately but they did manage to greatly reduce this kind of problem in my view.

March 31, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

I dont know if I like the idea of off shore drilling. What happenes if they build the drills and they do not produce oil? How much money will have been wasted there? Not to mention, what happens if they have a very large oil spill? That is going to cost a whole lot more and will do a major amount of damage to lands and wildlife

March 31, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Lori, S. California, USA!

Hello Anderson! Hi Tom Foreman! Hello David Gergen! Good evening Everyone!

I am so tired tonight.

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Jan

All I can say it brainwashing is very real.. and it's not that hard to get braiwashed actually... most Scientologists are brainwashed to a greater or lesser degree... they will wake up one day the way I did.. we all have our limits and say enough is enough..

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  16. charmaine

No child should have to suffer or go through the pain because of bullies. Your child go to school and feel safe. I think the school needs to do something now. It is very sad for those parent who lost a child by bullies.

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Robin in Tampa, FL

obama said during the champaign that he was for limited off-shore drilling, so I don't see how this is a flip-flop

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Donald W Ross

i feel that everyone that knew of this bulling going on should be prosicuted if at all possiable. All school employees that knew should be fired permently. If adults do not have any more common sense than this they need to improve their skills and become laborers where they have less chances of hurting people.

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Kim, NC

So what do you do when the person doing the bullying and intimidating is the teacher??? I've been to school – had meetings with the teacher and the administration – They defend her. My child is a very tender hearted and she takes full advantage of that – she's trying to break him! Kids are cruel enough but she's a teacher and has a long history of this kind of behavior. But the school system ALWAYS defends her!! Where do I turn???

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  20. A. Smith, Oregon

I'm not that happy about all the toxic petrochemicals that will be leaking into the Ocean off America's coastlines as a result of this new drill baby drill initiative. In order to offset fossil fuel's impact, a forest would need to be planted for each platform or you end up with spewing huge additional carbon compounds into the air and environment.

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Carol

my daughter was bullied about 3-4th thru 8th grade. I tried speaking with the school system about this, but it didn't help. They felt my daughter (as the victim) required counseling. Apparently, the bullies were OK kids and the victim needed to learn to how to cope, or tough it out.

I don't understand, since when did we start accepting the abuse of others as normal behavior?

Why don't teachers and administrators address the bully? Good question................

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  22. William Leary

I'm surprised that Obama is going this direction. He was so pro-green during his campaign

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Did anyone really believe that Obama would do everything he promised?

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Brad...ditto. Well-stated. I have to say it's a relief to "listen" to others that I totally get and I appreciate that. I think I will be healing for eternity.

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Emily

@Anderson,

That was a great interview that you did with those parents of that young boy who commited suicide.

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Cheri Miller

At age 11-12-13 I was horribly bullied in school and tried to commit suicide by taking a bottle of asprins before I went to bed. My mom found the empty bottle, came into my bedroom while I was half asleep and whispered real calm "Did you take all these asprins? I said "Yes," She whispered back in a gentle soothing voice"don't tell your dad about this and don't go to sleep just try and stay awake". I felt my ears ringing and a deep blackness closed in as I fell in and out of sleep I noticed my mom sitting at the end of my bed through the night. I thought to myself I wonder why she doesn't call 911. I felt I will just die in my sleep. God wasn't ready to take me and I dropped out of school .The bullying ruined my life...not able to trust anyone or get close to anyone.

March 31, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Jan

I always knew there were things I didn't like or disagreed with as far as the Church goes.. but it's hard to see what is really going on being a Scn's who is not working in the church.. all they want is donations and more donations..it's very UN Church like for sure.. not the way it used to be by any means

March 31, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Beca FM Florida

Anderson,
    Your report tonight was great. It is nice to see that some newspeople still really care about people. You are a pleasure to watch.
    Maybe if bullies were punished, and their parents were punished as well, that would help.

March 31, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Marjorie in ny

Speaking from experience education and moral support are key. Instead of text book solutions ask people who survived this. The bully and bulling takes over your life. How did I survive? Family, friends, Talking it out with people who believed me, Writing and taking up a new hobbie (something I thought I could never due) You have to keep moving forward. Its very rewarding for the bully when you are stuck. Recently I checked on bully information given to middle school children and thought it was pretty lame information. We need to give children the tools to survive. Talking about where are the parents and where is the principal and how this could happen does not solve this problem. We need to empwer the children and disarm the bully. New methods to conquer this. Thats what I think

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Joseph

Please continue the coverage on this as it effects tens of thousands of children that are tortured daily; (verbally, emotionally, and physically.) Most students feel that complaining will make it worse. The victim should not be asked if they are okay in front of the bullies. The bully should be disciplined immediately with sufficient actions. This is not a matter of conflict resolution as it is usually treated. This makes the victim feel doubly humiliated. The bullies feel empowered and there has to be zero tolerance ENFORCED. Not always but teachers are often aware of what is going on, and they need to take action and/or let the authorities know.

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Danny- Boston,MA

That why I watch you show because you don’t take side you reported as you see it. Obama is the biggest flip flapper that we have. It’s all about politics and he does not keep is promises to the American people.

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  32. A. Smith, Oregon

Despite all the Global Warming nay-sayers, Frogs are largely dieing off around the world. Likely it's the increase in UV and higher solar temperatures. Their egg clusters are clear which likely makes them like a canary in a coal mine on a serious problem we are not aware of!!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Jerry

I am not an Obama fan, but I agree with him that we need to drill off the coast of the US. Actions speak louder then words, though. I just hope this isn't lip – service.

If Bush would have done this, the left in Congress woud have gone berserk!! Where are they now???

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. debra

what do you do when the school does nothing about your child getting bully i am having trouble now i had to take my son out of school and i am home schooling him he is seeing two doctors he trying killing his self please answer my question who do i go to next about this thanks debra

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Liz

My daughter is presently being bullied at school just for befriending a girl new to the school. The ring leaders of the group told all the girls not to like this new girl...my daughter tried to include her into the group and now has been isolated, ridiculed, laughed at and shunned by 7 of these girls for doing what she thought was right. Today I approached the school principal for help and to put an end to all of this bullying. Thank-you Anderson for your stories on this subject.

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Alicia - Indianapolis

Parents are relying on schools to "raise" their children. As a parent, that is my responsibility. And I only have two children, some teachers have 25-30 kids in their classes. Parents should hold themselves more accountable for their children's behavior.

March 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Jackie

Kids these days are a totally different breed than when I was a kid. Honestly some teachers do not care so much about the student as they once did. The school's care about a few things...sadly kids aren't one of them anymore...they focus more on money and how much their school can get for a school year. Even teachers now are the bully's in some cases and teachers do turn the other cheek and do not want to be involved....seems that they do less than when i was in school. Again, our kids are a totally different breed.

March 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Heather - Spokane, WA

Frogs and toads are cute

March 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Nancy B

"Church of Scientology says abuse claims handled internally" - This reminds me of the Catholic Church, where, after so many years of claims, the buck has been passed to the top, to the Pope himself. Must we wait years for the law enforcement authorities to investigate first-person reports of crime by the scientologists?

March 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Jan

@ Sue... yes of course the ex-wives are still members... that's why they are saying what they are saying.. they all look very unhappy and tired... I've been a Scn's for 20 years... and just recently understood what has been going on in the upper management levels of the church.. needless to say I do not support the Church anymore...

March 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Edmund

Dawn Richardson is completely correct. We need to crack down on bad parenting far more than any other place. I think we would be surisped at the long-reaching effects we would see if we could weed out the bad parents and help the poorly raised children of those bad parents by teaching them that what they know and do is not appropriate and will not serve them well in their (and others') futures.

March 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I think the members got tried of violence!"

March 31, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Emily

@Sue R,

I think that they are still members of the Church.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Margaret

Teachers and administrators need to take responsibility for what happens in the schools and on school property. They should start on the very first day of school talking to the students about tolerance. It should start when the children are 4 or 5 and should continue until they graduate high school. They seem to turn a blind eye to what is going on and that encourages the bullies.

My daughter was beaten up in Jr. High because her attacker didn't like the outfit my daughter was wearing. That's the reason she gave when I demanded a meeting with the vice principal the day after the incident. The bully was cutting class and showed up at my daughter's class when she attacked her. Her mother sat in the office and said nothing but we had a conversation outside of school afterwards and she explained why she remained quiet during the meeting.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  45. Peggy

I'm only willing to beat my head up against a brick wall for so long. If there is one delicate little child after another hanging themselves because of the shame, humiliation and torture they received while in their school building, day after day, I am willing to do somethig that hasn't yet been done. I am willing to remove the person who was responsible for the emotional and physical safety of that delicate child while they were at school and who failed to do their job and stop the shame ,humilation and torture.
    It is time to fire the administrators of schools who are ineffective in preventing bullying and a death of a child results.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  46. janet

anderson,

i am 57 year old female. i was a victum of bullying as a child. i raised 2 sons and taught them at an early age about bullying. when my oldest son was 13 one of his classmates wat bullied terribly. he took a 357 mag. to school in his bagpack and killed l student then killed himself. and this was a country school pop 278. trust me these teachers know who the bullies are. and they should be accountable.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Kim- Ohio

@Cessey...agreed...very interesting and important stories.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Matthew Nashville,Tenessee

As a survivor of bullying as a child I can relate to those who have "given up". In grade school I would often come home, lay on my bed and ask God to take my life. Thankfully I never went through with anything. School administrators need to view this as what it is . Abuse.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Annie Kate

Toads as an earthquake alert – better than what we have right now. I guess these would be called toad alerts? Loved that bit in the bulletin. It was a nice break from all the hate stories..

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Cessy - Chicago

Ugh! Scientology lawyer guest irritates me. Of course, he'll defend the Scientology organization. He's one of them.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm |