March 30th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Teen Bullied to Death?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/CRIME/03/30/massachusetts.bullying.suicide/story.phoebe.prince.cnn.jpg
caption="Phoebe Prince, 15, who had recently moved from Ireland, committed suicide in January in Massachusetts." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Nine Massachusetts teenagers, seven girls and two boys, are charged with driving a 15-year-old classmate to kill herself.

Last fall, Phoebe Prince moved from County Clare Ireland to the western Massachusetts town of South Hadley. She had a new home, a new school - a new life. Like any other 15-year-old, she just wanted to fit in. But that didn't happen.

According to reports, she was called an Irish slut. The name-calling never stopped and neither did the harassment, according to Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel.

"Their conduct far exceeded the limits of normal teenage relationship-related quarrels. The investigation revealed relentless activity directed toward Phoebe designed to humiliate her and make it impossible for her to remain at school," Scheibel said at a news conference yesterday where she announced the indictments.

The prosecutor says Phoebe spent her last day alive tormented by some classmates at school. She says some of the bullies then taunted and threatened her as she walked home. It ended when Phoebe hanged herself in a closet in the stairway leading to her family's apartment. Her 12-year-old sister found her.

Three of the nine classmates charged in connection with Phoebe's death will be tried as adults. That includes 17-year-old Kayla Narey who faces various charges, including criminal harassment. But the two boy, Sean Mulveyhill, 17, and Austin Renaud, 18, also will be tried in adult court and they are both charged with statutory rape.

Several of the accused students are still at school.

Last night, the school district said it was still waiting for prosecutors to provide more evidence in the case.

"Once we are able to obtain this information we will be able to make a more comprehensive statement and possibly take further action against the students still attending South Hadley High School," the school district's Assistant Superintendent Christine Sweklo said in a statement.

We're keeping them honest. Did school officials do enough to protect Phoebe? Tonight you'll hear from Barbara Coloroso, an expert on school bullying who consulted with the school district last year. Anderson will also talk with Dr. Phil McGraw, psychologist, best-selling author and host of the national syndicated show "Doctor Phil".

Join us for this story and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Catherine Bradley

I watched this segment with my son with great interest. My son was bullied so severely, I often thought he would take his own life. Fortunately I was able to get him into counseling. But that did not prevent the humiliation of having a student knock out his perfect teeth (newly removed braces) in front of his entire gym class. The school and students were aware this was to go down and I was not notified. I knew something was amiss when began feigning illness and wanted to quit although a good student. We contacted the school and had a meeting set but unfortunately we were not quick enough to stop it. The boy was arrested but I paid $20,000 in medical bills and not even I am sorry from school or parents or other student. He was offered a transfer to another school and refused. stating he wanted to be a reminder to them all. He said it was amazing that he was treated better after he was brutalized". He will graduate soon and I as a parent blame them. By the way I live in a nice suburb of Chicago.

March 30, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  2. Tammy in Kansas

Two of my boys were terribly bullied in school. My husband and I would go in the see the principal's. We were usually told that the student bullying didn't come from a nice home like our child. and nothing was done. After many trips to the school the principle started leaving by another door to avoid facing us. My husband and I are not screaming/cursing parents. The school never notified us about anything of the incidents. We found out that one son had been knocked down by a group of kids and kicked during a meeting were we where discussing my child's learning disability. The aid that our son had been given laughed as he began telling the story. None of the kids were disciplined and although our son had been kicked in the head and stomach we were not notified. Another time I got a phone call from a conssened friend of my son asking if our son was alright. When I asked why he had called, the boy said didn't I know my son had been choked and had he money taken. Right after school my son had left for a camping trip. I spent the rest of the week wondering if he was ok.
    There were many trips to the school trying to get the bullying stopped. We got absolutely no help.
    Finally, we put one son in a private school and the other had to tread water until we could move.
    What school officals don't understand is that the bullying goes on all day every day. Bullyied kids can't go to after school programs. It does not let up.

March 30, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Shanee

It all comes down to the parents and school officials, I'm 26 and when I was in school if their was a problem sometimes the school officials would brush it off, this has to stop if not children will lose out on life, sometimes people just don't listen to children just cause their children, thats not right. When kids r tryin to tell us the problem we as adults need to just listen no matter what just take the time, sometimes it's hard when u work or ur a single parent. But it will pay off at the end of the day. sometimes I think adults can be so selfish and it's sad the kids have to go through things like this.

March 30, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  4. Luis

All the kids that bully this girl should be treated like an adult and go to prison for murder and the parents and those teachers that didnt helped this girl i c this bully b.S everyday boys pushing girls around calling them nasty names i be chaseing them away and i make sure the group of girls get home safe...My prayer goes for the girl and her family

March 30, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  5. josh o

i have to small kids and like to say it is nice to ready everyone's post about personal responsibilty and that each child should shoulder. it should be taught from the begining of life that every person is responible for thier actions. i like a lot of the ideas for bully expulsion and watching out for the little guy. i hope we, as humans are trying to evolve and become better humans, not cave men that drive cars and text. parents, you're the key to building great kids. great kids just don't happen.

March 30, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  6. Jennifer, WI

Isn't it a shame that all we ever hear in this country is "Not my kid" when they do something wrong. Maybe if we did some positive parenting and taught our children how to be responsible for their actions they would think twice about the things they do and say. Instead we teach them how to pass the buck all time and not take any responsibility. If they did, maybe it would make a big difference in the how kids treat eachother and bullying wouldn't happen.

March 30, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Laura

I was bullied as a teenager, like Phoebe. I went through depression and was suicidal but never actually succeeded. The teachers tried to help. They weren't really allowed to discipline the kids beyond keeping them in for recess or for detention. That just made the bullying worse. The school administration was reluctant to step in as well in fear of angering the parents who outright defended their kids and what they were doing. It became clear the parents were just as much bullies as their kids. The cycle perpetuated itself and things never improved until I left the school.
    As a parent and teacher now I do believe laws need to be in place. Parents and students need to sign anti-bullying contracts. Anybody caught bullying needs to be suspended/expelled until they (the parents and the student) understand the dangers of bullying. Kids that do this to other kids simply should not be allowed in the school system until they can prove they understand the harm they are doing and agree never to do it again.
    Bullying needs to stop so this never happens again.

March 30, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  8. Jerry J Pinto

It’s sad that we in ( Mass) have lost 2 children to bullying in this state and both School Departments know what was going on. And keep in mind that these to deaths happend within miles of each other.

. I started Safe Zones 3 years ago because my child was bullied and our school departments just blow it off. And i truely felt that the only way we were going to put a dent in this problem was by becoming proactive and more familys need to do the same. We all have to remember it all starts at home.

People talk about there being no laws in Mass in regards to bullying and that’s not true. If you look at the mass.gov website and type in the word BULLYING you will see bill or laws set in place.

March 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  9. Meena

My son was brutally bullied in the Syosset School District when he was 10 years old, which has left him damaged for life. He was mentally, physically, and emotionally abused for months. It was the peditrician who found out. His whole body was peppered with large punch marks. It happened in the school and on the bus. It is hard to believe that no-one witnessed it. When the school came to know about it, they did nothing. This heinous crime was not reported to the authorities, and the kids who did it were not even spoken to, leave alone arrested. We are still living with it, but the perpetrators of the crime went scott free.

March 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  10. Laurence Hauben

The first thing children need to be taught by their parents is respect for others and kindness. These values matter more than academics, a they are the basis for healthy social interaction all life long.
    Schools need to reinforce this human respect by integrating it into the curriculum, and enforcing a zero tolerance toward bullying.
    Also, if your child is being severely bullied and assaulted like Phoebe, take him or her out of the school and press charges with the police. It might just save their life.

March 30, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  11. Mass Transplant

While this likely could have happened anywhere, as a relatively new Mass. resident, there's something about this case (particularly the teachers' and administrators' supposed knowledge and failure to intervene) that seems to reflect a particular, awful, local character "trait." People here are, frankly, mean and rude to each other – particularly those perceived as "different" – in a way that's too often viewed as a sort of sport. Those deemed too "soft" to attack back and play the game only wind up getting it worse. I've often wondered why there seem to be so many comedians and political "talking heads" with Mass. roots – I've now seen enough to understand that it's from growing up in this brutal environment and needing quick and sharp wits as the ultimate survival skill. We need to punish this crime, but also change this culture.

March 30, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  12. Patricia in Indianapolis

My prayers go out to the family of Ms. Phoebe Prince. Shame on the administrators for doing nothing and shame on the parents who don't have a clue to what their children are doing. Administrators, the teens, and parents should be held liable.

March 30, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  13. Meredith

What Dr. Phil said about emotional scars is so true...I was bullied in junior high school,over 20 years ago and the teacher who witnessed it everyday refused to help. The teacher actually said to me (as a gang of 10 girls waited outside his classroom for me) that if I would just ignore them, they would leave me alone ! I begged him to help me and he just said you need to go to your next class now. Luckily the one friend I had saw what was going on and helped me get to my next class. I still hear the taunts and names the bullies hurled at me day after day...to this day I struggle with low self-esteem. I wish someone had expelled the bullies at my school...I'm grateful they have taken steps at Phoebe's school.The bullies deserve whatever punishment they get.

March 30, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  14. Mik Hets

Parents and teachers need to be held accountable because we're responsible for teaching children. The crimes these kids are commiting today are getting more heinous than ever. Its such a fine line in punishing them because of their under developed minds and what they learn from our violent culture to dysfunctional parenting. There are so many ways these kids get violent/negative ideas from their cell phones, video games, movies, T.V. shows, and music. The music I listened to growing up, to a degree influenced my behavior. Better teaching and parenting, less negative influence, and strict laws against heinous offenses is what we can do as a society.

March 30, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  15. planetspinz

Parents of children being bullied need to:
    1. Press criminal charges against the bullies immediately.
    2. Get child protective services to charge schools with child abuse for not protecting your children.
    3. Civilly sue the bully's parents.
    4. Most important – enroll your child in self defense classes right away – they will learn to defend themselves, their self confidence will increase, and they will find out that bullies are cowards and crybabies. They have a right to self defense and need to start today.

March 30, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  16. gabriel cervantes

Man this news story broke my heart, so young and full of live..i graduated from high school 2 years ago and i was also in middle school a victim of bullying. I can relate to want that poor girl went thru, who's to blame for this violence? In my opinion it's the goverments fault..america's public school systems keep on getting worse and worse year by year..more violence, more kids dropping out of high school, there's flaws all over! we need change in education!..this likely wouldn't of happened if she would have been in a private catholic/christian school..were teacher's actually care and pay attention to their students!..bottom line?..our public schools need change! something has to be done

March 30, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  17. susan stafford

My son is being bullied at school, last week he was beaten up in the bathroom and only him and the other boy was in the bathroom and my son ended up being taken by ambulance to hospital because he was beaten up so bad, the school won't do anything because the boy won't confess to doing it and there is no proof, so they say he fell in water in front of the sink. Other students have told that the boy has been bulling them as well and told the principal and that they were scared and she said that isn't enough proof. well, my son had a concusion and bloody nose and his tooth was through his lip and had to have cat scans and also x rays and also a visit to the dentist!! He even told he was beaten up by this other student and still the school has not done anything!!!

March 30, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  18. Lorraine Mosher

Anderson, I am almost 50 years old and I was bullied from second grade on. I was picked on because of my clothes, and weight, and because I was too slow in gym class. Every day was torture for me. If it wasn't for a very few nice girls and boys who were kind to me, I don't know what I would have done. It hurts as much today as it did then. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of this girl. This treatment has to stop!!

March 30, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  19. peggy marzell

I disagree that the kids are being charged. Although bulling is wrong if someone hangs themselves they obviosly have other problems.How was her childhood , was ther abuse in her history, was she on adderol or other antidepressants that cause soicide in young people. We dont know her mental state obviosly she had problems before this ,divorced parents etc.
    Charing them with manslaughter or murder i feel is way off,what are we coming to. I yell at u u go home and kill youself and blame me wrong.Dr phil is way off on this one

March 30, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  20. Veda

I have a daughter that is going throught the same thing. I have had meeting after meeting with school officials to try to resolve this problem but still nothing. They have ignored my plea for help. She is called out her name everyday, followed to class, and paper have been thrown at her. If our children report it, they are suspended for no reason. Is it going to take for someone to lose their life before something gets done.

March 30, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  21. Paloma

I have a 12 year old daughter and a son who is 11 and have had several incidents about kids bullying them, i do not agree that we should be easier on the teachers. they know exactly what's going on and they choose to ignore it. Kids will continue to die if we don't do something!

March 30, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  22. Danielle

Schools really are horrible and the idea of parenting has gone out of fashion. So many parents don't even try to raise their children to care about other people. I am only 21 so I am not so far detached from this. In my Junior year of high school I stood up for another girl which led to a physical fight between me and the bully, in which I got punched and attempted to push her off. The funny thing is that we were both suspended and my school's administration claimed that I should have just "reported" the incident to them instead of defending her. I laughed to their face and said "It's not like you all do anything anyway. I did what I knew was right and if you want to punish me because of it, I'm not going to change my mind on it to save myself." And I enjoyed my 3 day suspension.

Sometimes you have to have the courage to break the "rules" or "process" to get things done. The schools get so caught up in their process and let too many incidents occur. The other issue is that most teachers and school administrators look down on students and don't necessarily believe everything or take them as seriously as necessary. It really is sad. They should institute student run (teacher sponsored) groups in order to deal and manage such incidents. We had a peer counseling class in my middle school but it should have been better arranged as an after school group with dedicated individuals.

March 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  23. Kris Perkes

I am appalled by this horrible act. I am a 24-year teacher and I do not let this happen in my classroom. In fact, if I see students that suddenly begin having extreme absences, I contact parents to see why. Many times students don't tell their parents what is going on, they just get "sick" a lot and stay home where they feel safe, Every year I tell my students I will NOT allow bullying of any kind-then I tell them my experience as a bullier in the 1950's before we had a name for it. I tell them of my miserable treatment of a girl in my class. Now I want to tell her of my deep sorrow for my actions, but I have no way to find her to do that after more than 55 years. I always cry and for 7th graders that is a hard thing to watch. Very few students let bullying happen in my class because they have all been bullied and know what it feels like. Nobody wants that to happen to them or their friends.

March 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  24. Rena in alabama

This is really so sad. I hate hearing about people who bully other people. I was bullied and beat so bad I did not tell anyone until I was hospitalized. This happened to me at the age of 10 and in the 4th grade. Today I am 41 years old and it still smarts. My prayers go out to family who chidren and adults who are dealing with this problem.

March 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  25. Regina M Dyer

I have watched as my sister(a teacher) called students parents giving her own free time to tutor them for a better grade. Of the 20 to 30 called only 5 students showed up.

From this I see that most parents are too busy with their own lives to take the time to be a parent. Or be involved with getting the child a better grade.

The same is true with a child being bullied. Even when reported it goes un-checked by parents and faculty.

We need to get envoloved with the children. When you see a wrong, you need to report it. When you see good report it as well.

As parents we need to be involoved with our children. I taught this to my daughter and she and her husband are envolved with their children.

Being a parent is not easy.

March 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  26. Bloodyheck

Today we make heros out of bullys and role models out of mean girls.
    It's no wonder kids today think being rude, mean and vicious is *ok*

March 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  27. Amanda

What is wrong with this country? You said "schools have to do something about this." Dr. Phil said "we have to train these teachers".

Where in the HELL are these kid's parents? Is there some reason they can't teach their children the difference between right and wrong?

How about compassion, empathy, human kindness, and tolerance of others that are different than you? These kids obviously were never taught the importance of these things either.

Before you pounce on me, yes, I have a 15-year-old son, and NO, you will never see him doing any of the horrible things these kids did to this poor girl. I think the kids need to go to prison and so do the teachers and other people who ignored her parents when they asked for help. All of them are equally responsible for her death.

March 30, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  28. Ross

I am also a teacher and have been teaching for only 2 years (40 years old). The problem I have noticed is that the majority of this problem is like all others. The students have no respect for anything which is taught by society also the parents of the children do not care and/or are not around.

All teachers know this, they have no power to correct this due to the school systems unwilling to suspend the students due to government funding and the need to meet student enrollment numbers.

March 30, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  29. Lorelei

I send my condolences to the family. I am truly sorry for your loss. Your child was a beautiful girl, and I can see that you loved and will miss her. Let the Lord bless you through these times. There is still Love in this world.

March 30, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  30. Luanne Goldman

My oldest son was bullied starting in grade school. Teachers and staff kept denying it even when he came home with a black eye. My son started coming up with symptoms to avoid going to school and later started ditching school openly even hiding in woods to avoid school. He attempted suicide twice while in high school and is now after much therapy and treatment outside the school and school system placed in a therapeutic day school where he hopefully can thrive and succeed. So far things look good but it has been over 7 years of struggle including multiple hospitalizations, counseling and treatments to get to this place. The school system fought me on his placement for years despite his Individual Education Placement due to emotional disorder. Schools will say they have no money to help but they do have a moral obligation to help not fight with parents and students.

March 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  31. Shannon

I am just wondering why if theses students are being charged and suspended why there is nothing happening with the teachers that were told and or witnessed these are not being repremanded themselves. Why is it only the students and not the adults who should have been there to protect her not suffering the same fate. I feelfor this family and i hope that the do start setting examples of students and professionals alike that should be punished. Nothing will ever bring this child back but we need to stop this from happening to any other family.

March 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  32. Wavi

This is so sad. When the kids will start understanding that bullying is not bravery, but an act of cowardness. Why don't kids put themselves in a bulley's shoe? It hurts. It hurts really bad. Trust me.

March 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  33. mck787

It is happening even on online games. We the fathers and mothers of the new American Generation, We should keep an eye on every step of our nations newest generation. We should talked more with our school reps and talked with our sons and daughters, they should be our best friends. There are so many Ameicans Defending our Country while so many destroying it by Bullying the next Gen.

March 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  34. jo

First I want to say how sorry I am to Phoebe's family and loved ones. I have been following this story and I find it hard not to cry everytime for the loss of a beautiful, young girl who never got to live her life, parents and family who never got to see her grow up and start a family of her own. And all because some insecure, mean-spirited students felt it was fun to pick on someone, and a few faculty members mature enough to know better ignored what was in front of their eyes. I have always felt that the subject of bullying in school is a big problem. I myself was bullied throughout most of my school years, and the results of dealing with this on a constant basis has sooo many negative ramifications. I feel there has to be more attention to this situation in school. It should be a regular class in school. Bullying not only causes problems with skipping school, fighting, failing grades; it pushes a the young person being bullied to the point of helplessness. As a result lives are being lost before they even begin. DO YOUR SCHOOL AND THE WORLD A FAVOR. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO REACH OUT TO THE LONELY KID IN THEIR CLASS, SMILE AND TALK TO THE CHILD WHO IS PICKED ON, BE A FRIEND SO THAT THEY KNOW THAT IT IS NOT HOPELESS, THEY ARE NOT ALONE. TEACH YOUR CHILD TO DO THE RIGHT THING. IT COULD BE THE DIFFERNECE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH!

March 30, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  35. Gerry

Schools, administrators, Don't care. They encourage it. Schools bully kids themselfs. Our teens school humiliate kids by putting them in yellow shirts and parade them around the halls. if they don't behave perfectly or finish certain assignments . the schools are at fault

March 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  36. tony b

i have something to say about this story its mostly the parents fault. parents these days do not seem to pay attention to their kids especially rich kids's parents ive been bullied before but nt to being hurt or abused physically but i mean parents need to watch there kids and teach them to be a little nicer to people instead of their money

March 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  37. James

I was bullied quite a bit up until my later years of high school. A direct result of that bullying is a huge anger problem and emotional turmoil that continues even at my current age of 33. There is absolutely NO excuse for bullying, and every action possible should be taken to stop it.

March 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  38. Kathy

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. How come these kids don't understand the damage that is done when you are emotionally abused the way this girl was. I have a situation in our school where someone put a facebook page up about my daughter and I have tried to go through our local state police and not only am I unable to find out who put this up but there is no way to get this off of facebook...absolutly outrageous...we have tried to contact facebook and so has law enforcement and still nothing. Meanwhile, my daughter is going to school and has little too no friends at this point and it is very scary....I think this bullying this has gone way too far and I wish there was a way to make kids understand how this affects other kids.

March 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  39. Emina

Hi Anderson,

I am 27 year old woman from Bosnia living in MA. As a kid I was bullied while living in Germany as refugee. Also, when I moved to the US I was totally ignored by American kids because I was different, I did not speak English. Thanks god my parents were behind me. The unfortunate part is that teachers know it and they do not do anything. Its definitely a class structure. The well off kids are respected and the kids who already been judged by the society as those who have already lost their chance are mistreated. I have to say I am glad, that there laws being passed to protect kids at schools. No harassment at work there should be no harassment at school! Thank you for talking about this topic openly.

March 30, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  40. Diane

I agree with several other commenters, the PARENTS of the students found to be guilty should face a penalty – accountability should be on all sides – students, parents and schools

March 30, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  41. Stephanie from Texas

These kids should be punished to the fullest extent. I know many people out there believe "oh, but they're children" but those "children" knew exactly what they were doing. I'm 22 years old so it wasn't long ago that I was there, dealing the with same problems. I knew exactly what I was doing when I was 15, 16, 17 years old. It is sickening that they pushed this porr girl far enough that she felt she had to end her life. Being a criminal justice major, if they get let off with a slap on the hand, I seriously will reconsider my choice of career.

March 30, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  42. julia

i strongly agree with dr. phil in this case, this unacceptable!!!!

if attending school is required by the govt. then they should at the least protect and prevent any kind of abuse.

send my child into the lion's den? screw you to the educational system.

strongly looking at home schooling.

March 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  43. tom

I'm sorry...but I have to say, WHY is this coming across like a surprise NOW? Yeah, it's absolutely HORRIBLE that these kids have taken their lives because of the bullies in their schools...but lets be real here. This has been going on for YEARS!!!!!

I was bullied, beaten, and harassed for ALL of my school years. NO ONE cared, NO ONE helped. It was reported by my parents, and the parents of the children didn't care...I believe the phrase "kids will be kids" was used...

I have had a VERY tough time in life because of my childhood years...I would RUN home to try and avoid the beatings I would get from older kids and those my age...

As for the teachers they ALL knew...and so did other students...NO ONE cared...

And let me be sadly honest here....this was happening to me at a time when buying firearms was NOT easy, or thought of...I was forced to go to school, and forced to be beaten...the school and the teachers wouldn't listen...nowadays, kids buy guns, shoot up a school or NOW kill themselves...

It's HORRIBBLE...I was raised in Massachusetts...thsi ALL happened there...

YES it's GREAT that you are paying attention to this NOW...but what about all of the people who are living their childhood schoolday fears TODAY????

HORRIBLE....

Tom

March 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  44. ben

this is unreal how school districts continue to say "we didnt know". I have worked in juvenile prisons and military schools and bullying is probably the one thing that hinders more kids than anything........we need to wake up in america, we have a serious violence and aggression problem.

March 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  45. paula

i was bullied in school she would say im going to beat you up after school and nobody ever steped in. then she would want to be my friend and go places with me and want me to come to her house so sometimes we were friends and then she was going to beat me up, the older i got the more i ignored her and she left me alone ,, i think bullies are jealous of the people they bully

March 30, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  46. craig

I know what its like to be bullied. I went through it growing up. I feel the parents need to stop taking the "kids will be kids"approach and put their foot down with their kids.

March 30, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  47. Diane

Anderson, I am a teacher who sees bullying and reports it. Our district has done a great job with character education and antibullying campaigns, but the bullying still happens because there is not enough follow through with the parents. I hope the press and lawmakers do not place blame on the schools. The responsibility is with the parents, plain and simple.

March 30, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  48. julie from california

When I was in 6th grade all the girls in my class signed a letter (right under the nose of the teacher) that said I was a snob and other mean things. This was on top of repeatedly called "Furry-Butt" because I had hairy legs and arms. Anytime I asked a question in class, sneers. This is hurtful to this day.

March 30, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  49. Marissa Robledo

I think this is really sad and unacceptable. I can't believe administrators did nothing to put a stop to this. And the mom who said her daughter had nothing to do with this shows a lot about her parenting. This is so sad. An innocent girl lost her life because of seven students. These parents should be made accountable. They should be forced to take parenting classes due to their lack of parenting skills. All of this could have been avoided if someone had put a stop to what these students did. I know students and staff were aware of this and her parents tried to put a stop, but the people in higher positions should have acted on it!

March 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  50. ashton

Did the teachers know, principal know. If anyone knew about this and how bad it was why wasn't anyone speaking up for the girl. No one should have to be scared to go to school..but some are these days. What is up with hearing on the news more and more about bullying children, the girl who was beaten with steal toe boots, the boy who was caught on fire, and now this young womans suicide due to bullying?? Are the parents not teaching there children enough these days...there is right and there is wrong...I know bullying has been around for a long time...But it seems that we hear about it so much more these days. Is it what the children are watching on tv, playing on games, or what??? Something needs to be done it is getting overwhelmingly out of hand!!

March 30, 2010 at 11:13 pm |