March 29th, 2010

Militia Accused of Plotting War Against U.S.: Join the Live Chat

We've got breaking news on the 'Christian warrior' militia accused of plotting to kill police to kick off its war against the U.S. government.  There are new details on the investigation we'll bring you tonight.  Plus, we begin our special investigation 'Scientology: A History of Violence.'

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dave

just ask them about why there is a volcano on the cover of the dianetics book......XENU.......that is all

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Kendra

I was one of many to protest against Scientology a few years ago. Really scary stuff what they can do to a person willing to buy in to the groupthink they offer. Even scarier that they followed some of us home from the protest...

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Chris Sosa

I once visited a Church of Scientology location in NYC to see if the things I'd been hearing were true. Was a particularly disturbing experience. Extremely high-pressure environment. I excused myself to a restroom and found a staff member waiting for me when I came out. I was then pressured to buy products, take a test, join the church, etc. One of the most uncomfortable experiences I've ever had in a "church."

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Susan, I didn't think it was possible to harass the IRS. Maybe Scientology has a good side after all 🙂

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Monique

Doesn't Tom Cruise's couch jumping and rambling stand as an example that there is something wrong with Scientology?

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Kenya

Christianity does not advocate violence and killing but all these militia groups will always use it as an excuse. Does the KKK ring a bell? They claimed all their acts of hatred and violence were right in the name of God. Unfortunately the way things are looking more and more of these extremist/terrosit groups are coming out with the current Obama administration. Things will get worse wait and see.

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Lori, S California...All religions are cults aren't they? I mean who are any of us to judge which religions are "valid" and which are not? So, if we're going to call any religion a "cult," then they all are. I have fond memories of the Unification Church (remember "Moonies?")

March 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

Terrible crimes in Moscow and Mexico.

Will the govt fully recoup or even profit from the citigroup stock?

Good evening Tom Foreman.

Yes I've heard that fatty food is addictive but somehow I don't think its exactly like a narcotic drug.

March 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Carolyn, Michigan

If you're a Scientologist and go bankrupt what happens? You're forever stuck with only the knowledge you've already paid for?

March 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why do these Scientologist celebrities sound like they are from another dimension? Spooky is putting it mildly.

March 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Dulcie - Denver

Great to see Tom Foreman! I love his letters to the President. He has a great sense of humor and thought-provoking stories.

March 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Jan, LA

Tom Cruise is scary! It looks like he holds a very important position within the church.

March 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Susan, NJ

I find the low educational level of many of it's members suspect. Notice there are no judges, or CEO as members....or am I wrong.

March 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Tom from Vermillion, Ohio

Believe it or not I've found some ethical and reasonable Republicans in Congress. Think I'll try to get them to resign from the GOP and become Independants before they get corrupted. Bloggers, what do you think? Got anybody in mind. Just think, we could save a few souls from certain damnation!

March 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Wearing military uniforms when not in the military is illegal. How do they get away with it?

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Cessy - Chicago

what kind of violence are happening at the Church of Scientology? what is being done to stop this?

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Joanne

To Scientology's/David Miscaviges dismay, which will also bring around either a change or the end to Scientology. The TRUTH is out there now. Scientology can no longer keep secret, all there criminal activities and constant harassment of critics. The have very effectively used our legal system to silence people. The have trampled over peoples constitutional rights to free speech and also the establishment clause[Preferential tax deductions not available to any other 'religion'] There deceptive use of there hundreds of front groups like, Narconon, Criminon, Applied Scholastics, Way to Happiness, ABLE, WISE, Citizens Commission on Human Rights(CCHR), etc. To lure people into Scientology under the guise of offering some help is an abomination. There is more to Scientology than you know?

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

But he will!

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Tom Cruise..."you know you're the only one who can really help..." How arrogant and insulting to anyone who's not a Scientoligist.

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Yes @ Mike. Same with john Travolta.

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Lori, S. California, USA!

Does the Church of Scientology have any women leaders?

March 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Susan, NJ

The Church was granted tax exempt status after they harassed the IRS. That story alone is horrendous. The meglomania is frightening.

March 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  23. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Gloria Brooklyn NY

My apologies, i did not mean to offend you.

@North Royalton, OH – i realized i mistakenly put crime instead of climate....my apologies to you too.

March 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Lori, S. California, USA!

Scientology seems like a cult to me, but what defines a church? other than being non-profit/tax exempt.

March 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Scientology sounds like a cult to me. Isn't Tom Cruise a member?

March 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Susan, NJ

We had a young friend in real estate that joined Scientology. They essentially took all her money, and then they were through with her.

March 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Sophia Garcia

That's no lie! Have you ever tried eating just a few Cheez-its?! Or only a handful of peanut M&M's?! Or one Twizzler?! It's impossible! I almost died from an overdose of Oreo's after that "Face the Cookie" segment! Haha! =0)

March 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, ".....isn't it always the ones we least expect?"

You are right about that! So what type of bondage did we get for out tax money? They never use their own money for stuff like this.

March 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Susan, NJ

For any religion, as Christ said: By their fruits ye shall know them.

March 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Aliou in FL

not having a job or the economic situation we are all in should not be an excuse for extreme reactions and actions. Militia, militants, terrorits, gorilla, all of that is the name of mass murderers and violent crazies.

March 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, Mike.... We always honor our Vets! 🙂

March 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. charlie

@ Mike : The veterans are the victims, Veterans have gone through Hell for the sake of their country often on misquided actions. Some are killed, some injured and some suffer terrible long term mental damage. That is war and asl long as the US spends so much more than any other nation on war it will have more than any other country of those consequences.

March 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

@North royalton, OH

read your post on political climate and agree with you completely..

March 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Davie Thomas

Abuse within the Scientology Sea Organization is clearly commonplace; anybody can easily find hundreds of stories on the internet.

Scientology also attacks its critics. Paulette Cooper, the late Bob Minton, Emmy Award winning journalist Mark Bunker... the list is huge.

March 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse......come to California and I promise we'll go to Voyeur. I'll buy.

March 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Lori, S. California, USA!

Tom's report on junk food being like cocaine is interesting. I can never stop at just one HoHo.

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Good evening to you to New York from Germany.It tokk a long time,but I am b a c k again!

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow! I had learned there twin bombers suicide against people in Moscow, Russia on CNN last night, My heart goes to Moscow's people. That was so sad for them. 😦

Helloo Tom!
    Oh my goodness...... That's so sad for children killed in Mexico......

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Sheila Toomey, Woburn, Massachusetts

Is scientology really a "church"?

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  40. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ North Royalton- Ohio (i am missing the letter to your first name)

read your post on politcal crime and agree with you completely.

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Maudie

These are very scary people! Are they the only ones? I don't think the Tea Party and their signs help either, people are in a uproar..

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Susan, NJ

This drug violence is committed by monsters. Hollywood is so great at promoting it's destructive values, can't they promote contempt for the drug traffickers and their products? I think they can, but they are not motivated to do so.

March 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Charlie's comments were not a DIG at veterans but a simple comment on the vulnerability our veterans face when returning home–as a country we're not exactly the most supportive we could be and veterans don't exactly have a wealth of opportunities waiting for them.

March 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Susan, NJ

Conservative values include those behaviors that are considered "best practices" like fidelity and sexual responsibility. The Values encourage a high standard of behavior so it makes sense that people will naturally fall short.

March 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I guess the NH Republican Party isn't part of the hot crowd. I never get to go to clubs like that.

March 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Tom from Vermillion, Ohio

Re: Steele, comments against Rus Limbaug? I do believe that the GOP has been hijacked by the extreme right. The most descent persons they have, they what out. Plain and Simple. Who is going to be the next RNC Chairperson? Anyone care to speculate?

March 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Elle

These people are insane terrorist and should be put away somewhere out of this country.

March 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

@Starr

"You missed my point completely. I'm not for that!"

March 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

There had to have to been more than voyerism going on to end up with a bill for 2k. What a joke!

March 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

A good discussion with John Avlon and Mark Potok. Though the rept was pulled, the MI police were on it when it came to being aware of the militia groups activities. It does seem like the political discouse is highly partisan, but a full on policy seems always within reach.

2000 at a bondage themed nightclub? Was there a cover charge?

I heard the charges were for meals? That could be depending on how many people were there, but that's not probably how RNC funds should be spent.

March 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |