March 25th, 2010

Final Health Care Vote: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the done deal on health care. The House and Senate both approving "fixes" to the bill today. We've got the raw politics. Plus,  police in New Jersey say they've solved what is one of the state's oldest cold case. Hear what they say happened to five teenage boys who vanished 32 years ago.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Karoline, Los Angeles

@ Nancy-it does come down to that sometimes. Too busy. Plus when you cruise the grocery stores for things your kids can make quickly to eat it's difficult to find well-made, healthy, heat-up foods that are affordable. There are a few companies that make organic frozen foods but they are expensive.

March 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

A lot of times when I go to the grocery story, the check out person (usually a high school kid) doesn't know what the vegetables are that I'm buying, but to not know what a tomato is? seriously? what are these kids going to eat when they make food choices if they don't know what vegetables are?

March 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Emily

This is a great story here by Randi Kaye...
    So glad that a 32yr old case was solved!

March 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Nancy in Oregon

Poor families of these children.

March 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Enjoyed your intvw with Jaime Oliver. Kind of funny to hear the school kids gasp when he show them the vegetables–"Oh no vegetables!" I wonder why there is such an information shortage about food. I remember studying the food pyramid in school, was it middle school? Health class? Is a home economics class required or encouraged now?

Those school lunches are shocking by the way. Where are the green beans?

March 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Emily

@Nancy,
    What kind of Milk do you drink?
    Is it 2%, 1%, Skim, other? It makes a huge difference!

March 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

Pres. Clinton took on the soda and sweet drinks industry and got the calories lowered (if no completely banned) from schools.

i am glad to see there is follow up on children's diets and school.

I find that fresh food is CHeaper that processed food. maybe it's the area i live in.

March 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

@ Anderson

Great interview with Chef Jamie Oliver! He is simply amazing! Thanks!

March 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Kai

I am sitting here with a group of people and we are wondering if french fries are vegetable. And if they are not what causes them not to be vegetables?

Thanks a lot.

March 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Drake

Well to be honest i agree with some of the health care bill, but i just don't understand. Why didn't they vote seperatley on the parts of the bill instead of doing the whole thing at once?

March 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

Cessy, I don't know that I'd call a parent who works, commutes, then has to come home and also cook, supervise homework, bathe, and get to bed to do it all again the next day...'Lazy'!!! Burned out maybe, but not lazy by a long shot.

March 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Awwwww!!!! So cute coyote got caught!!!!! Now I am so happy I am safe right now!!! LOL!!!! Maybe we use "The Shot" after show? 🙂

March 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Karoline, Los Angeles

We could feed the kids rice and beans everyday and they'd get plenty of protein, it would be inexpensive, and all would be well.

Or soy corn dogs instead of pork corn dogs.

March 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Bridget

Anderson i really enjoyed the interview about child obesisty with Jamie Oliver. It is amazing some of the poison we as parents put in our kids body

March 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Hint: Stay away from processed foods at all costs. Eat fresh. Cut down on meat products.

March 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

@Emily

Yes It's absurd children do not know or can distinguish vegetables, fruits, etc..

March 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

The poor Coyote. He's hiding under a car. 🙁

March 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Nancy in Oregon

I think I'd use a different argument than the one that they might die 13 years sooner....

March 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Lori

Where is the roadrunner?

March 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  20. nikki

Hated veggies when I was young. Love many of them now. It's in the cooking and presentation. Makes a huge difference.

March 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Karoline, Los Angeles

He's right. It all has to change. It's so frustrating to be in a hurry, go to a drive thru, and find there is literally nothing to eat on that menu but a $5 salad. Sometimes I don't want to spend $5!

March 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Nell

I watched part of Jamie Oliver's show the other day and could not believe all the ridiculous requirements that schools have to follow for their lunch program. Any program that says pizza is a healthy meal and satisfies part of the food pyramid is a program that needs revising. I couldn't believe that the idiot principal and the lunch "ladies" questioned the health benefits of Jamie's freshly cooked meals – no wonder kids don't know what tomatoes are (I'm pretty sure the lunch ladies don't know either). I teach at a high school and my students eat giant bags of hot Cheetos and Dr. Pepper for lunch- we can't get them to eat food in the cafeteria. In fact, our school switched over to boxed lunches (about as appetizing as plane food) because so few students ate the cafeteria lunches that the cafeteria was going bankrupt. We couldn't even maintain a salad bar. Very sad

March 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Emily

Some of those "foods", they looed like the plastic foods that were used in commercials, magazine advertisments, etc.

March 25, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Cessy - Chicago

I think sometimes, it all comes down to laziness...havingto work, take care of the home and kids,etc..parents are probably takign the easy way by serving unhealthy food not realizing how that will afftect their family

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  25. A. Smith, Oregon

I grew up with parents that always had a family garden. We raised chickens until a jealous neighbor pushed the sheriff's to the door to threaten my folks, later the same neighbor's pushed the sheriff's to threaten my folks over a bee keeper that placed 3 honeybee hives in their large backyard.

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

I shouldn't drink milk?!! It's as bad as cola?!!

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

My mom is watching this and yelling at me to lose weight. I'm seriously going to Jenny Craig tomorrow. No joke. I need help and I can't do it alone.

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Bruce Benton

It is unfortunate that the Republican leadership has been unable to accept their solid defeat on health care reform graciously. However, having pursued a policy of obstructionism over the past 14 months, it would seem unlikely and probably too late for them to change strategies this close to the November elections. As one who worked for several years for Republicans on Capitol Hill, I am deeply saddened to see the GOP leadership shift to condoning violence in response to their defeat. These tactics will just embolden the Democrats to actively pursue further change - - something that the polls are now suggesting that the American people are willing to embrace, and perhaps rightly so, given Pres. Obama's resounding victory in 2008.

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Isabel, Brazil

Recently I discovered that my son is allergic to milk and he should drink only soy milk.

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

You have to read labels. It is surprising how much sugar and salt are in foods.

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Kim- Ohio

How scary that our children my die younger than their parents. That is so scary.

March 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Emily

If parents were "parenting", they were not let them dring all this a lot of soda, and eat a lot of junk foods!

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Kim, yes the clipwith the children is cute, but disturbing that they don't know what vegetables are.

mr. oliver makes an excellent point comparing the treatment of children vs. inmates.

when is was a single mom, i cooked several meals on Sun. and froze it for the coming week. that way, my child had Real food for the week.

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Dulcie - Denver

Geez! My mom wasn't a very good cook, but we only got corn dogs once in a very great while.

Some of that food is really scary!

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

It can take much less time and cost less to prepare a healthy meal at home. That argument about no time and no money has no traction with me.

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    All of you..... You are absolutely right! Foods are verfy important good health to eat. Jamie Oliver is also right.... Kids have problem their weight. It is so hard to see this, poor kids.

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  37. nikki

That food is disgusting. When I was a kid, we had hot lunches. We hated them because they were cooked and good for you. Kids will make bad choices if you let them. I'd have taken a bologna sandwich over the lima bean soup anyday.

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Lori

Processed food is really bad for us.

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Cessy - Chicago

Anderson, after your segment on Food Inc. a few weeks ago, I now pay more attention to what I eat. Yes, I'm a healthy eater, but it just made me think more

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Linda

I was very saddened by the actions of our leaders. This was pure partisan politics on full display for the world to see. Not one Republican vote. Not one! I don't think they should get one vote either. Based on their conduct- they need to be out of there. They are an embarrassment to this country.

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hi all,

It also bothers me that the food is being served on Styrofoam trays! When are we as a society going to wake up and ban Styrofoam in schools!!!

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

My older daughter went through a vegetarian phase. She ate no meat, with an exception of chicken nuggets.

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It really is all about balanced eating and portion sizes.

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am a little surprise because kids usually ask questions like, "What's this?" or What's that?

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Ray

I wont be surprised to see Michelle Obama with Jamie Oliver in one of the segments of the show, I believe she will be a great motivator on this movement to healthy eating.

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

I think kids should be required to wear Shape Ups. They are amazing. My nephew is thirteen.... do you know what he does in gym class???? Plays the Wii. What is wrong with that picture?! I was shocked.

March 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Nancy in Oregon

I grew up in LA County in the 50's-60's...we thought lemonade came from a can, didn't have a clue about how green beans grew....these things just came from the market! No concept of the real thing.

March 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Isabel, Brazil

Healthy meals and economically viable are the ideal!

March 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  49. janet

I'm a Canadian and have been watching the developments over healthcare reform in your country. I don't understand the opposition to healthcare for all. Healthcare should not be only for the wealthy. Although I am healthy, I know I will be taken care of and will not have to mortgage my house or exhaust my savings should anyone in my family become ill. Your bill may not be perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

March 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Monica M. Williams

Jamie Oliver "drop in food culture" How true. Our eating patterns sadly match our fast lane lifestyles.

March 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |