March 25th, 2010

Final Health Care Vote: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the done deal on health care. The House and Senate both approving "fixes" to the bill today. We've got the raw politics. Plus,  police in New Jersey say they've solved what is one of the state's oldest cold case. Hear what they say happened to five teenage boys who vanished 32 years ago.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori

That looked like mold on something!

March 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Jonathan Koumaris - Canada

I think there has been a breakdown in communication between families, where knowledge is being lost. I am not sure whether it is due to younger generations feeling superior to their elders, with all the new technology and pace of the workplace. However, considering my 77 year old grandmother can make her own, cheese, yoghurt, grow a massive vegetable garden and cook food in the Mediterranean style that was passed down from her Mother. I think we need to rethink how we are educating our youth, before the knowledge is lost forever,

March 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Emily

@Isabel,

I agree! these kids have no idea, & it sounds like they have no role models.

March 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Athena

Maybe nutrition should be taught in the school??

As a diabetic (from eating crap for most of my life) I only eat fresh food and it is a LOT more expensive than processed foods.

School breakfast and lunch in NYC are garbage and approved by the govt.

Remember Regan's admin made Ketcup a veggie??? Insane.

Food stamps should be run like WIC where they TEACH poor people what to eat. Chips and processed foods are not healthy but are allowed using a food stamp card.

March 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. niwat kurusattra, chicago

there should be a law regulating HFCS just like alcoho consumption. Don't get me wrong i love drinking soda but as of yesterday's DR Sanjay Gupta newscoop, 5 cans of soda at lunch for a single consumption should have prohibited. Love the naked chef, Jamie Oliver is in the house.

March 25, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  6. D..J.

I too wish this country could come together and work for the good of all the people and not be so divided and have the hatred that I see.

March 25, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Christina,

How are kids supposed to kno their vegetables when they've rprobably never seen their mom or dad prepare a meal, let alone do it on a regular basis?

Face it, very few homes have a parent home full time and it's hard to prepare a meal every night after putting in a full eight hours at work. I know that is not politicallly correct, but I think it needs to be said.

March 25, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Lori

Thank you Anderson. It has been an interesting week on kids and food. It is very hard to feed kids healthy foods. You are the best.

March 25, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. LaSonya, Nashville

I am glad awareness of obesity is getting press release

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Cessy - Chicago

great segment on Obesity in Children....

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Ray

Jamie Oliver has got me interested in changing the way I eat, it starts with the parents and with him leading a movement to healthy eating I bet we will see a change of lifestyle in this country.

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. nikki

I read about those boys yesterday. How horrible, even after all of these years, for their families to learn how they were killed.

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I really believe that what you do to your body when you are young will come back to haunt you in later years.

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

Im geared up for the two hour season premiere tomorrow night. I might have to miss AC360?! I'll be flipping back and forth. 🙂

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Ted

Let's make the fight for good ideas and against bad ideas–never attack the person.

March 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. A. Smith, Oregon

Good interview with Jamie Oliver, thanks Anderson.

March 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jamie is doing a great job! I think the kids really relate to him.

March 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Kim- Ohio

That veggie clip is cute...those kids are cute. I guess I'm missing the real point of that clip 🙂

March 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

One question that occured to me is how do insurers manage costs for their plans for federal employees. Clearly they're doing it and those plans don't allow exclusions for pre-existing conditions, this shows how workable this reform is, a reform agreed on by Republicans and Democrats as essential and doable.

@Nancy in Oregon Good pt about this plan being imperfect but needed

March 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Emily

Yuck! Fat really looks awful...

March 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vincent

amie Oliver is becoming a real hero to me!

again, education is the key. i am delighted to see him actively educating children! i am stunned that t he children did not recognize basic vegatables.

God bless mr. oliver for what he is doing for us and our children.

Thank you Anderson for having him on your show!!

March 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  22. JC, Capitol Hill

That little boy called out "EGG SALAD" – the veggie was EGG PLANT.. lol that is so cuuuuuute!

March 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Let's not forget about exercise!

March 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  24. nikki

@ Steve
    So true. I think they've just lost all decorum. Calling the President a liar; another representative a baby killer. These are supposed to be educated people. Scary.

March 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Isabel, Brazil

Oh Gosh, the kids don't know anything!

March 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Emily

It's great that Jamie Oliver is putting his time towards these kids.

March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. A. Smith, Oregon

Many of those Obese children also run a great risk to later develop Adult Diabetes as well as heart disease.

March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Nancy Lee

Grateful to the Dems and the prez for passing this health care bill into law. The Repubs have been steaming mad that they are no longer in charge and are just using this healthcare bill as a vehicle to vent their hatred of no longer running the show. Sour, bitter grapes.

March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Sometimes I just think the problem is that kids do not get exposed to a large variety of foods. It is up to the parents and sometimes the schools to educate them.

March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Ray

I bet this guy will create a movement in healthy eating hes starting right with kids.

March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I can't understand parents who don't feed their children appropriately. I truly believe you should not have children unless you can raise them healthy (among other things).

March 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Lori

Hello Everyone! Ten recipies to change your life sounds wonderful!

March 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Emily

This is so sad!
    Kids that are Obese and on the verge of Type 2 Diabetes, etc.

March 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It's usually not a good sign for the Pope to have been a member of the Hitler Youth.

March 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Lori

Hello Anderson! Happy Thursday!

March 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "I don't think intelligence trumps whipped up emotion, Gloria. Bright people still do horrible and cruel things."

I totally agree with you. Intelligence has nothing to do with decency or right and wrong.

March 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Isabel, Brazil

jamie oliver is amazing!

March 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

They do me too, gail...if not a bumper, then what?! Clearly there is a need to tear something apart!

March 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Wow. That fat is really disgusting.

March 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. A. Smith, Oregon

It looks like Pope Ratz has lost all creditability and should resign and step-down. I can't imagine a worse example for a religious organization remaining as the leading figure of that organization.

March 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Emily

@Mike & Jo Ann,

It seems like it's gone from one political extreme to the other!

March 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  42. starr, formerly known as vincent

Very glad to see Christine Romans back on the show!

March 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Curtis

it's a shame that it takes the threat of violence, to get the attention of our politicians !

March 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Ruth

This health care bill is the first step. I'm glad the dems and Obama have the ability to enact decent legislation unlike the republicans who do nothing but obstruct, obstruct, obstruct.

March 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Jeff

Hey everyone,

After voting for this administration I am deeply concerned with where America is headed.

March 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. gail

@Mike
    Obama has not polarized this country , Ignorance and hatred have polarized this country. Now, just as in the past, when change has come to America.

March 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. nikki

I just love that dog Winston! He knows how to get his aggressions out doesn't he? The Dems and Pubs can learn something from him....go after an inanimate object.

March 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. arlene

Fear of change brings out the ugly in people.

March 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Rickey, health care is just the excuse for a lot of hateful people to act out. If it weren't that, it'd be something else. Those people latch onto anything that makes lashing out look legitimate. That's why they are so dangerous and should not be handed the 'excuse'.

March 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

President Obama had a chance to show some leadership by asking Republicans to join him in a joint statement condemning violence. Instead he has his political arm using this for fundraising.

March 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |