March 24th, 2010

Health Care Reform Missing: Join the Live Chat

Lawmakers have been putting off one health care fix for years and it's not part of the reform bill.  If something isn't done a large number of doctors could stop accepting a large number of patients.  We're keeping them honest. Plus,  the death threat made against the mayor of Juarez, Mexico that arrived in a bloody bag.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LisaL -Canada

oh such a good idea to leave that kind of thing to the rick sanchezes of the world. but it is kind of amusing to watch.

March 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  2. A. Smith, Oregon

The female reporter took it better than Rick! Who is the wus?

March 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  3. jane - Vt

Good night all, great show.

Keep exposing all the hate and threats Anderson. It's been on the internet, but not TV so much.

March 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Emily

Phone it in?
    Takes ALL kinds!

March 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mayor Ferriz is a brave man. Although the odds seem stacked against him, he has remained on the job. I can't see any of our government officials here in the States having that much courage.

I have to give Gary a lot of credit for traveling with the Mayor to bring us this report. He is pretty brave himself!

March 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Nicole from the Netherlands

I have seen kids playing soccer with a bag of potato chips in their hands.. Parenting is a basic thing on obesity I think, but also the way kids go to school. Here a lot of kids walk or go by bike (with their parents) you can't do that in the U.S... And loose the television and the computer, for a few hours! a day

March 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Emily

Oh, sick!
    People who abuse children....

March 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Devin

People think that living in a city ran by gangs is an automatic death threat but as long as they dont piss them off there fine,I heard of some town ran by only by a gang and its or peaceful then most other surrounding cities. Its just when you have power conflicts with other gangs or police,.. thats when people die.

March 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

@Emily, well maybe I think there are great men and women going into government and public service, its just hard to see political discourse devolving into a playground argument. Is your point that all the voter turnout was for reasonable dialogue on the issues?

@Starr thanks. other events balance political coverage.

Good evening Christine Romans.

Sanjay is right it is easy to smile about what dinner is for that young man, but it's a serious matter for his health. I do agree too that these are anxious times, but there seems to be some relief.

March 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Kelly Fay

Jennifer, I couldn't agree more they are supposed to be Christians, and the bible says you'll know them by thier fruit. As we've seen over the weekend the fruit that they've shown is only bigroty, homophobic slurs, and hate. Which is everything I stand against. God is a God of love he doesn't look down on some one because they are different, and this only makes people turn away from Christianity as a whole because of people like this who are not Christians, but WOLVES in sheeps clothing!

March 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  11. chris

Regarding the HC & Rebublicans..
    Because of their tempers & disrespectable remarks, the whole country is worked up & that's what they wanted. But now, we have the violence to go with it. I think they should air their hard feelings behind closed doors & not work up American citizens.It is time for both parties to come together & resolve the American issues as our elected officials who are supposed to be educated for the jobs they accepted.

March 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Emily

@Starr,

I think that is also because there are so many single parent families or both parents are working and they feel guilty & give their kids whatever they want to eat!

I think a lot of it comes from guilt!

March 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

Another great show tonight! Keep up the great work.

Good evening everyone! 🙂

March 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its so scary that something like that is just right next door to us

March 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope Mayor of Juarez is staying safe out of harm's way.... I think they will protect before happen next.

That's so scary one I have witness whale or shark had attack that person...... Ouch!

March 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The mayor loves his city and his people!

March 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Charlotte Scurry texas

The mayor may need to borrow anderson's flap jacket

March 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  18. JC, Capitol Hill

Gary Tuchman is one of my fave journalists, I appreciate his reporting. The bravery it takes to be there with Mayor Juarez in broad daylight. Great story. but next time couldnt he just use Skype?

March 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Sonya, TN

Way to go Mayor of Juarez! stand your ground.

March 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Ruth H.

Spitting on Congressmen, yelling racial slurs, and sexual orientation slurs...nice work TEABAGGERS!

Sarah Palin posting the message: DONT RETRIEVE – RELOAD!

Glenn Beck suggesting the use of guns to settle the issue...

Frankly, if I supported these people, I would keep it secret,
    out of shame.

March 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Karin Urban, from Berlin/Germany

Thanks for a great show!
    Despite the early hour (it is 3:50 CET) it always seems to be the shortest hour of the day!

March 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Emily

It's good to see that some kids are able to be outside & play!
    It sounds SO dangerous!

March 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  23. starr, formerly known as vincent

i do think that many parents want to "comfort" their children and mistake food as a source of love.

the result is too much comfort = obesity. as dr. gupta's report demonstrates that too much fat is truly dangerous.

i thought i knew a lot about how to eat healthy until 3 yrs. ago when i approached the topic again. i learned even more about nutrition and have been very successful in incorporating and maintaining a good diet with a lot of fresh fruit and veg's and decreased meat.
    our chidren and their parents need to be taught good nutrition too.

March 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  24. nikki

@Vic, Nashville,TN
    Thank you. Finally, a responsible stance.

March 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Lekiliara

EveryOne in America needs healthcare

March 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Mei

I bought Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Food Revolution cookbook. All the receipes look really good. Can't wait to start trying to cook!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Nicole from the Netherlands

@ Renee, good luck with the garden and the bunnies! My grandfather had a vegetable garden, and always let them eat some of his vegetables..

March 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Emily

Mayor Ferriz is really brave!

March 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Charlotte Scurry texas

I hope for the family's sack they do not release the tape of the whales attack.

March 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Kathy Chicago

I used to watch Jaimie Oliver on the Food Network. I'm going to try out his new show. My kids were always thin and active. I have to admit I resorted to salad in a bag and applesauce for fruits and veggies, during the busy years of high school.

March 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  31. John Luke, New Jersey, USA

Medicare needs to increase funding for primary care per patient appointment visit.

March 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Emily

@Sheila,

"Im excited about this Food Revolution TV series!"

I agree! It looks very good...

March 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

I think we should be able to see the Killer Whale video. I LOVE Orcas. I really want to see what happened prior to the accident.

March 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Derek

This President is trying to do some good for this country. Healthcare, education, housing, etc. I am a degreed professional with excellent health insurance and would like to see poor people or people less fortunate to be cared for, to have preventative health care and a primary health care physician. I am concerned that this small group of people who probable lack sufficient health care and are struggling to pay bills, purchase medications, send their children to college; opposing this administration. It just seems to me President Obama IS trying to help the people.

March 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Kim- Ohio

How cute...the kids not knowing what these veggies are...but I guess I have an advantage since we grow alot of those items in our garden.

March 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Renee

All the more reason to plant a garden this weekend. I hope I can keep those bunnies away!

March 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  37. JC, Capitol Hill

God bless Jamie Oliver, His accent is so refreshing and organic. its so wonderful to see this type of work being done.

March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Nicole from the Netherlands

This doesn't look like a poor family. I think you see obesity more among poor or low income families. Healthy food costs more than junk food... A tax on mac and kentucky fried?! OR cheaper healthy food?
    Jamie did a good thing in England..

March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Kenya

Oh goodness...those children don't know what tomatoes are? This is just depressing.

March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!! That's so scary one!!!! Thanks Sanjay......... I hope they will change to diet and lose weigh.... take good food than junk food..... I also agree with Dr. Sanjay!

March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

I was overweight when I was a kid. I was always active though and had a decent diet but the reason why I was overweight was due to hormones (gotta love those annoying things!) and it wasn't until I reached 13 that everything finally caught up with everything else and I lost the weight. I cant help but think that its not only these kids' diets but also the extra chemicals and hormones that is put into foods now

March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Obesity kids, they have to keep active.

March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Emily

@Patricia,
    I don't think that many parents are thinking!
    Some are feeling guity!

March 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

I live in a country where people eats tons of fat and food with cholesterol, and it's a lot of people who have obesity problems, I think that is a matter of custom and habits, I think that happens the same in USA, I lived in Virginia for 6 months in 2000 and I can see little kids eating big plates of food, and they were between 4 or 10 years old and they were obese already, but I don't blame them or their parents, because that's what they are used to eat in your country, bad and fast food. The only thing that I am sure is that this is a big problem and is not healthy for this kids at all!

March 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Sheila Toomey Woburn, Ma

Im excited about this Food Revolution TV series!

March 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Charlene

Thank you for raising awareness on childhood obesity. How I wish awareness for this condition can also be addressed here in our country. It's an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly.

March 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  47. gina

Hi Anderson,
    I just watched your segment on the shortage of Primary Care Physicians in the US. I was disappointed that Nurse Practitioners were not mentioned as part of this solution to the shortage. Nurse practitioners provide quality health care to millions of Americans in this country every day. Many nurse practitioners work in underserved areas of this country providing excellent health care to patients of all ages.

March 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Kim- Ohio

What a great story by Sanjay. Seeing what fat does to a body is so eye awakening.

March 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Charlotte Scurry texas

I am very proud of Tiger!!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Emily

That stat has always been there!
    When I was young, the same was true! If you had an overweight parent, you had a 50% chance of being overweight yourself!

That is not new!